BWFC Reserves 2021/2022 - Central League

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: BWFC Reserves 2021/2022 - Central League

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:39 am

I don't think we're going to sign an insane number of players just to sit in a B team, but I do think we will see a few come in. My assumption is that it'll be lads below the registration age, probably lads released from academies at 18 who we'd previously have had to loan or bring into the first team, but who aren't really ready yet.

It basically gives us the ability to bring in players who we might see something in, but we couldn't have offered a path to previously. Hopefully our recruitment at that level is as good as the senior lot.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:37 pm

3 nil up after 30 mins versus Walsall
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:00 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:37 pm
3 nil up after 30 mins versus Walsall
5-1 at the end. Nice one. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:54 am

Couple of titbits in this morning’s Ilesy piece.

First, a number: “ While a handful of players will be progressed from the current Under-18s and a few younger players retained to create the core of the side, the club ideally want a squad of around 18 for the new coach to work with daily.”

Second, the team will play in the Central League, with extra friendlies. Makes sense I guess, but I’m not sure I’d seen this detail elsewhere (might be my omission).

Plus Evatt quotes about it, and players not being protected by being under contract…
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ards-slip/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:54 am

Plus Evatt quotes about it, and players not being protected by being under contract…
"You are not protected by your contract anymore, you are just not"?

Bollocks.

This smacks of Evatt playing Charlie Big Potatoes once again. Of course players under contract are protected. He can drop them, look to move them on or even look to have them paid-up, but they are protected by their contracts.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:26 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:54 am

"You are not protected by your contract anymore, you are just not"?

Bollocks.

This smacks of Evatt playing Charlie Big Potatoes once again. Of course players under contract are protected. He can drop them, look to move them on or even look to have them paid-up, but they are protected by their contracts.
Thought it was a bit odd, more of a threat than an encouragement to be honest. Wonder what prompted it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:44 am

Wanting to make sure the squad doesn't stagnate, I expect.

Comley didn't seem very "protected" by his contract. I'm sure he got a payoff, but equally I'd assume it didn't equate to everything he was involved.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:55 am

I suppose we don’t have to register players as part of the squad, so even if they are here under contract they might not play for us again. But I don’t think there’s anyone who I would intentionally let stagnate in the reserves out of spite!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:18 am

I'm not sure of the calibre of players we think we can attract to this new B team project, but if, as speculated on here, we're looking to pick up cast-offs from the local big boy academies, is a League One B side really likely to be very attractive?

I haven't given much thought to this, but my guess would be we're likely to have to go fishing in talent pools a notch down from category A academies to build out this side initially. I certainly can't see the lads who are borderline at City et al jumping at the chance to play friendlies for Bolton's reserve side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:46 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:18 am
I'm not sure of the calibre of players we think we can attract to this new B team project, but if, as speculated on here, we're looking to pick up cast-offs from the local big boy academies, is a League One B side really likely to be very attractive?

I haven't given much thought to this, but my guess would be we're likely to have to go fishing in talent pools a notch down from category A academies to build out this side initially. I certainly can't see the lads who are borderline at City et al jumping at the chance to play friendlies for Bolton's reserve side.
It's a very fair question but it depends on personality, and age.

The lads born on/after 1/1/2001 will know they can break into the first team with no registration problems.

Anyone born before that would have until deadline day (and thus squad-registration time) to press for inclusion in the big boys' squad. It's not much, but if they're on a free, it's at least an offer.

As you say, the better freebies may get better offers. But they may anyway. The alternative, I suppose, is to take a risk on guaranteeing a released player a squad space, and as we've calculated on the other thread, we haven't got much wiggle room. And even the idea of a souped-up B team is much better than we could offer them last summer, again unless we were making promises.

Depends how they develop. Remember Bright Amoateng?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:34 pm

The_Gun wrote:

I think if we pitch it well enough, I think we'll be able to attract a few of those released from Cat 1 and 2 academies.

We're a big club for L1 with a good stadium and fairly modern training facilities, so that's got to count for something. At the very least we'll know that the guys signing up for the B-team will be in it for the right reasons - they won't be paid mega bucks but if they work hard enough they could get a shot at being promoted to the first team squad.

There're enough young footballers released each year to find 10 or so to fill out a B team, I guess it's just a case of having the connections/scouting department to know who's worth taking a look at.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:54 pm

Just point them to our injury record. They'll get their chance.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:51 pm

Going from U18s into a full reserves set up is seen as normal now. A lot of young players at top academies don't expect to be breaking into teams until they are over 20 and if some of these lads have to choose between our reserves and non-league then they'd likely come here.

Having a squad of 18 is really interesting. I was expecting more like 12, so I'm happy with that.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:30 am

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:34 pm
The_Gun wrote:

I think if we pitch it well enough, I think we'll be able to attract a few of those released from Cat 1 and 2 academies.

We're a big club for L1 with a good stadium and fairly modern training facilities, so that's got to count for something. At the very least we'll know that the guys signing up for the B-team will be in it for the right reasons - they won't be paid mega bucks but if they work hard enough they could get a shot at being promoted to the first team squad.

There're enough young footballers released each year to find 10 or so to fill out a B team, I guess it's just a case of having the connections/scouting department to know who's worth taking a look at.
You'd certainly know better than me, Brommers. Have you by chance done any research on the lads who are likely to be released from our near neighbours?

One factor I was thinking about with my earlier post was the wages the kids at the big academies are likely on. I imagine we'll be offering a relative pittance to players coming into our B team, so it would probably be a huge drop for many. I suppose beggars can't be choosers and all that.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:30 am
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:34 pm
The_Gun wrote:

You'd certainly know better than me, Brommers. Have you by chance done any research on the lads who are likely to be released from our near neighbours?

One factor I was thinking about with my earlier post was the wages the kids at the big academies are likely on. I imagine we'll be offering a relative pittance to players coming into our B team, so it would probably be a huge drop for many. I suppose beggars can't be choosers and all that.
I haven't done any research yet, but it's something that I've been meaning to get around to.

The more established academy players (21/22 etc) who've signed a pro deal might be on £3/4k a week, but the 18/19 year olds who haven't yet signed a pro-contract will probably be on less than £1k*

*Educated guesswork

It might be a case of signing the younger academy lads (18/19) from the bigger academies (United, City etc) and then some older lads (21/22) from the likes of Nottingham Forest, Blackburn etc.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:25 am

We're also looking at players who, if they've been released, are currently earning zero kpw...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:30 am

Yeah I get that, but my suggestion would be that if the players are any good then we're not going to be the only ones offering them deals. If they're rubbish, then yeah, maybe they'd accept tuppence a week to play in our B team.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:44 am

Equally, we're not going to pay them anywhere near as much as some of our first team. Think an article somewhere last year pitched 'L1 average for high earners" at <5k." You would expect that the L1 lower first teamers would be on considerably less...I don't see us offering shitloads for B teamers. Nor should we.

18@1k per week would be nearly £1m in salaries.

Last Accounts we were spending £5.5m for 39 footballers and 123 M&A staff. If the M&A were on say just 15k, (pitched fairly low coz I think this might include stewards and the like), there's £1.8m, so you're left with an average of £95k across your player base. The top end obviously going to be higher, so the middle of that range might be 60-70k..and the low end much, much lower.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:38 am

You've provided some quantitative backing to the point I was trying to make, Worthy!

Essentially we're talking about players who aren't currently good enough to make National League squads, so likely of sub-Darcy/Senior levels.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:56 am

I guess the unknown is how much the salaries have moved given a promotion and the last filed accounts being nearly 2 years old, but even if the number doubled, you're probably not spending huge on B team...