A Swich of the Ips and he's gone. V Ipswich away Sat 11-09-21, 3-0' clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A Swich of the Ips and he's gone. V Ipswich away Sat 11-09-21, 3-0' clock

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 pm
An interesting tactical option for those home games where we struggle to break teams down now that Liam Gordon is proving to be a capable LB. Could we, or should we try John ahead of Gordon. John is our best crosser and our issue has been final ball. Obviously would mean moving Dapo somewhere because he’s first name on the sheet right now but it would get a born deliverer of the ball onto the pitch and might make a difference.

Hard to figure out how you’d fit everyone in but worth a thought? For games like Burton….

I think it's too early to make a judgement on whether Gordon is a capable left-back. Dapo on the left, with John on the overlap is the only option I'd be considering currently.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:26 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 pm
An interesting tactical option for those home games where we struggle to break teams down now that Liam Gordon is proving to be a capable LB. Could we, or should we try John ahead of Gordon. John is our best crosser and our issue has been final ball. Obviously would mean moving Dapo somewhere because he’s first name on the sheet right now but it would get a born deliverer of the ball onto the pitch and might make a difference.

Hard to figure out how you’d fit everyone in but worth a thought? For games like Burton….

I think it's too early to make a judgement on whether Gordon is a capable left-back. Dapo on the left, with John on the overlap is the only option I'd be considering currently.
As IE says Gordon’s athleticism and pace is a plus defensively.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:28 pm

This afternoon's highlights can be found HERE.

Our first goal is lovely.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 pm

The way we play the crossing positions don't really fall to the front 3, it's the full backs. Wide men far more about rotation and getting into pockets. Seen nothing at all to suggest DJ can do that!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 pm
The way we play the crossing positions don't really fall to the front 3, it's the full backs. Wide men far more about rotation and getting into pockets. Seen nothing at all to suggest DJ can do that!
I agree though Issy had a fair few crossing chances vs Burton. It probably isn’t the thing to do. Was just thinking of breaking the low block down and I guess John at LB probably helps there. Ok bad idea!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:58 pm

If anything it’s a decent option off the bench. As you (I think) said on Monday our lack of sub options where pretty stark. Dapo was shagged on 70 mins but we couldn’t take him off…might have helped then.

BTW gethin Jones looked lovely again - proper mr consistent isn’t he?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:10 pm

What happened in the build up to our 5th? How come one centre back is on the right wing crossing to our other one to score? Were we just in pure total football mode or had a corner broken down?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Never mind DJ, it makes me think that against sit-backers I'd be tempted to play Isgrove at RB. Nothing at all against Gethin, who is your archetypal Good Man To Have Around, but I suspect Isgrove has the athleticism and diligence to be an auxiliary RB – and the extra space might help him create. The question then is who plays RW - I guess for now Kachunga, with Baka and Amaechi options to come.

But that's a problem for another day. Evatt stating so baldly that we love playing against teams who attack us has the air of a gauntlet being thrown down; someone, somewhere, will react by sitting his men deep.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:15 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:10 pm
What happened in the build up to our 5th? How come one centre back is on the right wing crossing to our other one to score? Were we just in pure total football mode or had a corner broken down?
It had been a wide free kick, if I remember rightly.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:18 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:28 pm
This afternoon's highlights can be found HERE.

Our first goal is lovely.

I've just re-watched this and the highlights don't rdally do our first goal justice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:15 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Never mind DJ, it makes me think that against sit-backers I'd be tempted to play Isgrove at RB. Nothing at all against Gethin, who is your archetypal Good Man To Have Around, but I suspect Isgrove has the athleticism and diligence to be an auxiliary RB – and the extra space might help him create. The question then is who plays RW - I guess for now Kachunga, with Baka and Amaechi options to come.

But that's a problem for another day. Evatt stating so baldly that we love playing against teams who attack us has the air of a gauntlet being thrown down; someone, somewhere, will react by sitting his men deep.
I wouldn't start that way, but having those options would have been nice against Burton sat in in the last 20. He tried it against Cambridge tbf and it didn't really work but only a one off.

I was happy for Gordon to start, and he's good cover, but DJ's crossing will give an extra element from LB when he's back and fully fit. Gordon doing ok means we don't need to rush John back and can get him right.

Oh, and here you go:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:47 pm

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:00 pm
See I said nothing to dread. Our team balance isn’t quite there yet. But by god we go forward when teams play and we are deadly.

It’s such an exciting team to watch.
I thought this was one of our toughest tasks yet, and although we could now pile on the circumstances (Cook's early struggles, new players etc etc), let's not. Not for nothing they were tipped pre-season as one of the favourites, and while they might come strong later on - we know all about that team-knitting experience - this is quite some statement thrown down to the rest of the league.

We have our foibles, in various departments and to various degrees :mrgreen: , but this is a wonderful team to watch. Even if we'd had an average last five years, it'd be a pleasure. As it is, after the shitestorm we've trudged through, it feels like a very special time. Enjoy it, my friends. You've earned it.
Absolutely. Properly love them.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:15 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I wouldn't start that way, but having those options would have been nice against Burton sat in in the last 20. He tried it against Cambridge tbf and it didn't really work but only a one off.

I was happy for Gordon to start, and he's good cover, but DJ's crossing will give an extra element from LB when he's back and fully fit. Gordon doing ok means we don't need to rush John back and can get him right.

Oh, and here you go:
God it’s brilliant that we have an actual footballing identity these days. Short passing patterns out wide dragging the opposition out of position, quick switch of play to the high full back who feeds the inverted winger.

Can’t wait to watch the full match replay on iFollow tonight.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Not having Gordon being fouled for the first, looked like their winger stepped out and he fell over! i think he will have learnt from today!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:40 pm

Their commentator in that move saying we're just trying to knock it in behind as Rico sends one over to Gordon following a 10 pass move. Poetry in motion.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm
Not having Gordon being fouled for the first, looked like their winger stepped out and he fell over! i think he will have learnt from today!
Yes I agree, Gordon leaned into him and got it wrong.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm
Yes I agree, Gordon leaned into him and got it wrong.
I presume it was that spectacle that tempted the centre-backs into ball-watching. Their second goal wasn’t great from Rico either but I’ll forgive him as long as he keeps getting assists in five-goal away wins :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm

Of course, who cares? But from what I read I was expecting a clear foul that just wasn't there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:13 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm
Of course, who cares? But from what I read I was expecting a clear foul that just wasn't there.
There’s a push. For me it’s a foul but probably only given half the time. One of those.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 am

There are extended highlights (10’38”) now on iFollow. Nothing much that wasn’t on Sky/Quest last night (barring the the free kick before the fifth), just longer replays, one of which allows us to enjoy the locals serenading the hat-wearing celebrant Dapo with “Who the f**king hell are you?”. Keep watching, lads, you’ll find out.