A Swich of the Ips and he's gone. V Ipswich away Sat 11-09-21, 3-0' clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Swich of the Ips and he's gone. V Ipswich away Sat 11-09-21, 3-0' clock

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 am
There are extended highlights (10’38”) now on iFollow. Nothing much that wasn’t on Sky/Quest last night (barring the the free kick before the fifth), just longer replays, one of which allows us to enjoy the locals serenading the hat-wearing celebrant Dapo with “Who the f**king hell are you?”. Keep watching, lads, you’ll find out.
Cheers. Their second goal for me is Johnstone initially being weak in the air then really should block that cross. It doesn’t matter but I’d not be having a go at Gordon for it.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 am

There are extended highlights (10’38”) now on iFollow. Nothing much that wasn’t on Sky/Quest last night (barring the the free kick before the fifth), just longer replays, one of which allows us to enjoy the locals serenading the hat-wearing celebrant Dapo with “Who the f**king hell are you?”. Keep watching, lads, you’ll find out.
I did enjoy the crowd's reaction after dapo got fouled for the pen, coming to terms in angst with the fact there was no way on this earth it could be disputed. :lol:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 am
Cheers. Their second goal for me is Johnstone initially being weak in the air then really should block that cross. It doesn’t matter but I’d not be having a go at Gordon for it.
Gordon's done by his winger again, but yeah Johnston's initial header isn't good - has to be stronger - and obviously Rico isn't getting away scot-free. The defence can improve, and their mates up front dug them out yesterday, pleasingly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 am
Gordon's done by his winger again, but yeah Johnston's initial header isn't good - has to be stronger - and obviously Rico isn't getting away scot-free. The defence can improve, and their mates up front dug them out yesterday, pleasingly.
Wouldn’t say ‘done’ he isn’t beaten by him the cross comes in. Gordon does have a habit of standing off at times and I think that’s confidence.

The back four are odd in that I think all are good players but bar Jones I also am always a bit scared by them all at times. Including John too. They all seem like they have a mistake in them. I’m going to be controversial in that whilst I think Johnston has a huge future and obviously is one of those eye catching centre halves he could for me do better especially outside the box in our defensive third. Often gets caught out. His physicality or lack of might also at times be an issue if teams play on it. Santos hasn’t for me reached close to his best yet.

However, they are capable and will all improve in my opinion.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:23 pm

Very very harsh to blame Johnston for that header! It's hoiked up in the air, he's fighting with their striker and he does well to a) win and b) is trying to head it wide not back into the centre. Up to others to react better to the second ball. There's another team playing!

I do have reservations about him and Rico together though. I *think* that I think that it's because despite physical differences they're both quote similar, both aggressive front foot players and neither at the moment is great on the cover for one another. Still early days though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:06 pm
Wouldn’t say ‘done’ he isn’t beaten by him the cross comes in. Gordon does have a habit of standing off at times and I think that’s confidence.
Having played full-back, I can assure you that if you let your winger run 30 vertical yards and cross, with you having run alongside him for the last 15 without touching or stopping him, your centre-backs aren't going to consider you as having done a good job. Your manager probably won't be keen either. He doesn't get dumped humiliatingly on his arse as in the first goal, but he still does very little to help.

He'll learn, and yesterday will be good for him. The analysts will have clips, and I doubt that one will go in the "more of this please" pile.

Anyway...
A few stat points on yesterday. It was our lowest possession total (44%) of the season, but we registered seven on-target attempts - easily our best of the season (4 vs MK, Wimbledon, Oxford, Vale & Burton).

Including off-target/blocked attempts, we registered 14 attempts on goal - only Burton (25!) and MK (17) were higher. And although we geared down from 25 to 14, the quality was better: going up from 4 to 7 on-target shots helped boost our xG to a season-high 2.3 (previous best 2.2 at Wimbledon; NB no xG figures for cup games).

Down the other end, 7 shots against was our lowest of the season - we’ve averaged 11.4 shots-against per game, slightly less than the 12.8 shots-for average. Their xG was 1 (slightly down on our season avg 1.2) and our xG differential - ours minus theirs - was 1.3, second best of the season after Burton, whose 1.4 garnered a third as many points…

TL:DR: “winning 5-2 is good”

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:52 pm

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:06 pm
Having played full-back, I can assure you that if you let your winger run 30 vertical yards and cross, with you having run alongside him for the last 15 without touching or stopping him, your centre-backs aren't going to consider you as having done a good job. Your manager probably won't be keen either. He doesn't get dumped humiliatingly on his arse as in the first goal, but he still does very little to help.

He'll learn, and yesterday will be good for him. The analysts will have clips, and I doubt that one will go in the "more of this please" pile.

Anyway...
A few stat points on yesterday. It was our lowest possession total (44%) of the season, but we registered seven on-target attempts - easily our best of the season (4 vs MK, Wimbledon, Oxford, Vale & Burton).

Including off-target/blocked attempts, we registered 14 attempts on goal - only Burton (25!) and MK (17) were higher. And although we geared down from 25 to 14, the quality was better: going up from 4 to 7 on-target shots helped boost our xG to a season-high 2.3 (previous best 2.2 at Wimbledon; NB no xG figures for cup games).

Down the other end, 7 shots against was our lowest of the season - we’ve averaged 11.4 shots-against per game, slightly less than the 12.8 shots-for average. Their xG was 1 (slightly down on our season avg 1.2) and our xG differential - ours minus theirs - was 1.3, second best of the season after Burton, whose 1.4 garnered a third as many points…

TL:DR: “winning 5-2 is good”
Agree. Both sides we let too many crosses in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Bugger "BTEC Okocha" - Dapo is the new Diouf. Jay-Jay loved playing but didn't have an ounce of malice; Dapo combines that joie de vivre with Dioufy's antagonistic desire to wind up the oppo fans - an intriguing personality trait that can cause problems, but is wonderful to see when it's your own man doing it.

Did he plant the hat? Or did he react to seeing it? Either way, he's definitely not one of those players who doesn't "see" the fans and just celebrates in front of the nearest stand. He knows where they are. He's proving a point. Note also that Johnston has a little glare at the end - by the time he scored our fifth (up the other end) he was giving it the shushes to the home fans.

As I say, it's a fine line but it's not a bad thing to have that little stroke of bastardry. McGinlay had it. We're into the highest comparisons now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:31 pm

^^ Or as Jose would say ‘11 nice boys won’t win anything’. It’s good we aren’t nice. Nice is dangerous in football.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:06 pm

Johnston's ear-cupping and oppo-shushing.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Attack wise, we made much better choices yesterday. Ipswich being more open than say, Cambridge or Burton helped but our tempo was quicker and we weren't afraid to go long and forwards when the chance arose.

Defensively there's work to do obviously but what a journey we're on. The connection between club, players and fans feels like its at its strongest in years.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:00 pm
Attack wise, we made much better choices yesterday. Ipswich being more open than say, Cambridge or Burton helped but our tempo was quicker and we weren't afraid to go long and forwards when the chance arose.

Defensively there's work to do obviously but what a journey we're on. The connection between club, players and fans feels like its at its strongest in years.
Our tempo against Burton was for me incredibly impressive. Cambridge…no it was slow. But I come back to, we did nowt wrong against Burton. That’s the template for me if we play that well all season we will win this league. I don’t think we can play that well all season but whatever.

Ipswich showed exactly what happens if you open up against us and I guess teams are watching…so expect more to do what Burton did.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 pm

Dunno about Diouf but Afolayan is the best we’ve had since Chungy. He’ll be in dioufy territory if he stays here and tops it. On this form he’ll be in double figures (assists/goals/possibly both) by the time the transfer window opens.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 pm
Dunno about Diouf but Afolayan is the best we’ve had since Chungy. He’ll be in dioufy territory if he stays here and tops it. On this form he’ll be in double figures (assists/goals/possibly both) by the time the transfer window opens.
He’s doing outstandingly well and absolutely has gone up levels since last season. But I’d just wait and see how he does over a longer period. He will be in demand if he keeps this up but it’s one where IE has got the best out of him. Would he want to risk a move away at this stage?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm
Not having Gordon being fouled for the first, looked like their winger stepped out and he fell over! i think he will have learnt from today!
Definitely a foul for me. He was cleverly shoved out of the way. He should have fallen over instead of trying to stay on his feet.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:01 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:56 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm
Not having Gordon being fouled for the first, looked like their winger stepped out and he fell over! i think he will have learnt from today!
Definitely a foul for me. He was cleverly shoved out of the way. He should have fallen over instead of trying to stay on his feet.
Just watching the replay, he did tumble over but the ref never gave it. He didnt have a great 1st Half, but did better as the game went on. Hopefully this will make Declan do better because so far this season, he has been way below his best.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 am

It was an interesting game. Ipswich will probably have gone in at the break feeling like they could get back into it. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot at the back, but at this level and with the mix of players we have that will happen until they get that cohesion going. It's three new players to that back five (including keeper) of last season, with both the main organisers out - so it's no shock.

I agree Gordon has to do better one-on-one. I don't think there are major issues with the central diamond of keeper, centre backs and holding mid - they just need time. One place we do have issues is with the fullbacks bombing on and MJ covering in. He ends up as the inside man marking the winger and will get skinned for pace all day long. Not sure we can do anything about that, though, it's just who we are as a team. We take risks and I enjoy it.

All in all I think we just need time to work out partnerships, communication and triggers. The biggest issue for the season was going to be whether Johnston and Sheehan could settle in and show us their quality. Clearly they can, so we'll be fine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 am
It was an interesting game. Ipswich will probably have gone in at the break feeling like they could get back into it. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot at the back, but at this level and with the mix of players we have that will happen until they get that cohesion going. It's three new players to that back five (including keeper) of last season, with both the main organisers out - so it's no shock.

I agree Gordon has to do better one-on-one. I don't think there are major issues with the central diamond of keeper, centre backs and holding mid - they just need time. One place we do have issues is with the fullbacks bombing on and MJ covering in. He ends up as the inside man marking the winger and will get skinned for pace all day long. Not sure we can do anything about that, though, it's just who we are as a team. We take risks and I enjoy it.

All in all I think we just need time to work out partnerships, communication and triggers. The biggest issue for the season was going to be whether Johnston and Sheehan could settle in and show us their quality. Clearly they can, so we'll be fine.
On another note how good has MJ Williams been this season? Outstanding. Easily a championship level player and I reckon he could hold his own above that as well given his passing is so good for a DM who reads the game so well.

Doesn't get mentioned enough. Against Burton he literally became our engine driving us forward. Its a tough gig with as Evatt puts it a change of emphasis to '2 number 8's' in there with him but he's damn good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 am

Honestly, I think he's absolutely fantastic at this level, but I'm not sure how much higher he could go, at least for a team as open as us. That's purely pace, which isn't his fault, pretty much everything else is there. And I'd love to find out for sure!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 am
Honestly, I think he's absolutely fantastic at this level, but I'm not sure how much higher he could go, at least for a team as open as us. That's purely pace, which isn't his fault, pretty much everything else is there. And I'd love to find out for sure!
In his position pace is in the mind. Its about reading the game. And for teams at a higher level you simply couldn't play this open in midfield as obviously the higher you go the more you get punished.