You're not from New York City - Bolton v Rotherham (H) - 18-Sep-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: You're not from New York City - Bolton v Rotherham (H) - 18-Sep-21

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:53 pm
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:48 pm
HT 0-2

Two goals in the last 3.5 home games in league and proper cups (not Sherpa Van Reserves)

COYWM
The attack is not the problem. I’d expect better analysis here.
Oh give over. Don't give me that disapproving tone. Don't flatter your own viewpoint by acting superior.

62% possession, 10 shots, one on target. But no problem with the attack?

Maybe, just maybe, it's both attack and defence that need improvement. The fact it's 0-2 from 62% possession suggests the attack isn't working. Again.

COYWM
Can't agree. I'd expect us to struggle to score against a strong well organised Rotherham. Not to gift them a 2 goal head start.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Lee on for Sheehan.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:32 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:29 pm
I'd expect us to struggle to score against a strong well organised Rotherham. Not to gift them a 2 goal head start.
We've had 16 efforts so far LE. That's not a defensive shortcoming - or at least, not ours.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Kachunga on for Sarce. Subtle switch of formation, perhaps...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:40 pm

Third away change - striker Griggs off for midfielder Sadlier

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:42 pm

Gonna go out on a limb here... Don't think we're winning this

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:45 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:42 pm
:mrgreen:

We've shown we can make chances against one of the pre-season favourites. Just a pity we haven't been able to finish them - and a bigger pity for the Family Fun Day thing. Those things are cursed...

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:45 pm
Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:42 pm
:mrgreen:

We've shown we can make chances against one of the pre-season favourites. Just a pity we haven't been able to finish them - and a bigger pity for the Family Fun Day thing. Those things are cursed...
Yep, agreed. Does seem like extra pressure for what was already a very tough game.
Like most things today, shame it's not worked out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:51 pm

Seven minutes of injury time, cripes

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:52 pm

Isgrove man, frustrating is an understatement.

Brilliant play ruined by a shite ball into the box.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 pm

Well there's a reality check. Tough games to come as well. Our bench is a waste of time.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:57 pm

Bobbins at the back.

Gonna be a shite one next week.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Feels like a kick in the teeth this one but we had several good chances. Balls indeed

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:00 pm

Ah well, we have to lose some. Disappointed this was one though. We have to defend better and stop making hills to climb. :(
:(

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 pm
Well there's a reality check. Tough games to come as well. Our bench is a waste of time.
It's rarely a good sign when the gaffer doesn't bother making a third change to a losing team.

Warne, by contrast, made three tactically interesting changes, two of them by the hour mark. I guess (I don't know) that he knows his players well. Mind you so does Evatt – our second possible attacking sub was Delfouneso, and he didn't get the nod. It's games like these that make me sad we couldn't get a loanee on deadline day. A kid to spring off the bench and ask different questions. Oh well, on we go.

As you say, it's a reality check for some, which is sad but I'm not too downhearted. We'll have more than enough to beat a lot of teams in this division. And we'll do it by playing football the right way. These days when we lose it's frustrating that we couldn't turn dominance into goals. There have been seasons where we've timidly tried to keep the score down. This is far, far better than that, and it's OK for now. Stuff to work on, at both ends, but we'll be fine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:05 pm

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:53 pm
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:48 pm
HT 0-2

Two goals in the last 3.5 home games in league and proper cups (not Sherpa Van Reserves)

COYWM
The attack is not the problem. I’d expect better analysis here.
Oh give over. Don't give me that disapproving tone. Don't flatter your own viewpoint by acting superior.

62% possession, 10 shots, one on target. But no problem with the attack?

Maybe, just maybe, it's both attack and defence that need improvement. The fact it's 0-2 from 62% possession suggests the attack isn't working. Again.

COYWM
The game first half was a cracker. They pressed high and we exploited space. It was a game where easily we could have scored. As could they. Their first was to my eyes a great goal. Their second…for me we cannot concede that.

2-0 and they sat back and we ran out of ideas.

But you come up against Rotherham and you aren’t blowing them away 3 or 4. They don’t concede many apart from their odd result last weekend. So what you have to do is keep the game tight and make it long. That second goal killed it. And for me the issue we have is that if you concede two at home to a very strong
side you aren’t going to win many of those 3-2.

Second half we didn’t perform at all but I felt Rotherham knew exactly what they were doing. Not sure there is a magic wand to break a good team down like that when they are set. So trick is be in the game and not 2-0 down.

Ultimately Rotherham are a Sam Allardyce style drilled and ruthlessly efficient side. We have to do something special to score whereas they just feed of set plays etc. And I always maintain needing to do something special to score means the odds are against you.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Deserved win for Rotherham IMO, these have a decent chance of going up as they are a quality league 1 side IMO

We always disappoint when we have a big lower league 20k+ crowd due to a cheap family day (Grimsby, Chesterfield etc.). Personally I thought that there were a few poor performances today, Dapo, Sarce, Sheehan, Doyle....we really will rue not bringing in a another goal scorer before the window closed, and however hardworking Doyle is - he really does miss some sitters & needs 6 chances to score one (how on earth he missed the one 1st half that hit the post, terrible effort, miss hit, no composure at all) , its only my opinion but League 2 is his level, he's our weak link IMO the way we play with one central striker - we need someone better than Doyle to get out of League 1 in the next few years (but he's ok if we want to finish mid table, which I'm more than happy about)

For what its worth I thought Johnson was slightly offside for the goal, but we are 8th in the league which is excellent IMO. Great when it comes off like last week at Ipswich but Rotherham were much more street wise & knew how to win that game.

Great to see such a large crowd, loads of kids & many people there today who hadn't been for a while, but I also think that it put unnecessary pressure on the team so early in the season, we are nowhere near ready for a promotion push - we need at least 3 or 4 better quality players to replace Jones, Gordon, Doyle, Isgrove before we are even near to a promotion bid next season - great to see a full Reebok though.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Forgot to mention our defending for their goals was weak & pathetic, like the 1st half of last season, I appreciate that its a higher league but defensively we are poor & concede so many weak goals as per early doors last season.

BTW I can't see many of the floating fans coming back after that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:05 pm
Their first was to my eyes a great goal. Their second…for me we cannot concede that.

2-0 and they sat back and we ran out of ideas.
The defence still needs work. We conceded off a set-piece which was sadly predictable; even if we're far, far better at that than this time last year, it doesn't take a doom-laden mindset to imagine we'd be vulnerable there. It's what Rotherham, and other teams - like Cheltenham, who won 1-0 today with their only effort on target - concentrate on. Rother U than me.

Thank God, we don't. I'd like us to improve there as an attacking threat – it would be a useful addition to the armoury, rather than the solo weapon of an opportunistic mugger - but we are capable of making chances, perhaps more so than almost all teams in this division. We had another 17 efforts on goal today, and another game with 70%+ possession.

What we're not always good at is converting dominance and chances into goals. Any team that has 17 efforts on goal should be scoring. In that xG table from early this week we were second, which implied we were underachieving by being in third. Now, in a tight division, we're down to eighth. If we are underachieving it's because we aren't turning dominance and efforts into goals; seeing you say "we ran out of ideas" is worrying. Four times in the last five proper home games we've drawn blanks. It's turning into a problem.

Again, I'd much rather have that failing than many of the several others we've seen in recent years – from not creating chances down through not dominating games to not having a clue, not having any players to put out and almost not having a club. But it's clear we need to work on chance conversion, or our wonderful football will become a source of frustration.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:36 pm

Also I think the Dapo hype should die down after today. Rotherham did a number on him and completely nullified him. I’d say it was his worst game in a long time but more and more teams will double up and foul him. He got too frustrated in my eyes.

Today we plays a big physical and cynically efficient team and came up short. We did miss Baka especially first half as their press would have been less effective but I’d say it does sound a klaxon that perhaps we shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves.

Not sure I’d agree entirely with the four identified above as being ones to improve on. Doyle (but another striker is of course welcome) and Jones for me are fine. The other two probably are ok as squad options. I’d say that midfield we lack options and centre back I’m not convinced with entirely at this level. It’s too similar for me. We needed a big physical bruiser today to impose themselves.