Malice in Sunderland. Sunderland vs Bolton (A) 25th Sept 21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Malice in Sunderland. Sunderland vs Bolton (A) 25th Sept 21

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:05 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:20 pm
Doyle is the embodiment of everything that's right and wrong with the team for me.
Top bloke, plays well, works hard, very likeable. But is lacking in the really important stuff.
He was great last year and I like him a lot, but to be promotion contenders next year he shouldn't be starting in my opinion. I see him as the Shaun Miller of the next 18 months really.
Good post, I agree 100% - Doyle is in the team to score goals, his work rate is impressive but he needs to score goals - how many has he scored from open play this season ? - he missed quite a few sitters in League 2 last season, but he can't keep missing 3 or 4 relatively easy chances game after game as its costing us big time.

Evatt has done a lot right since he came to the club and the football is good to watch, but not getting a goal scorer in the summer was a big mistake IMO and its costing us (and Kachunga isn't the answer). There is no point having lots of possession if we can't or don't score when we are on top & we keep conceding very soft goals game after game.
I keep asking this but who did you want him to sign? We tried to sign Stockton from Morecambe who has started the season on fire but couldn’t do the deal and he’s not exactly proven at any level. Sign a goalscorer is an easy thing to say but perhaps might have more weight if you offered up some players you feel we should have signed?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am

When did we try to sign Stockton? Surely he would have come here over signing on again at Morecambe?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Doyle is the embodiment of everything that's right and wrong with the team for me.
Top bloke, plays well, works hard, very likeable. But is lacking in the really important stuff.
He was great last year and I like him a lot, but to be promotion contenders next year he shouldn't be starting in my opinion. I see him as the Shaun Miller of the next 18 months really.
Good post, I agree 100% - Doyle is in the team to score goals, his work rate is impressive but he needs to score goals - how many has he scored from open play this season ? - he missed quite a few sitters in League 2 last season, but he can't keep missing 3 or 4 relatively easy chances game after game as its costing us big time.

Evatt has done a lot right since he came to the club and the football is good to watch, but not getting a goal scorer in the summer was a big mistake IMO and its costing us (and Kachunga isn't the answer). There is no point having lots of possession if we can't or don't score when we are on top & we keep conceding very soft goals game after game.
I keep asking this but who did you want him to sign? We tried to sign Stockton from Morecambe who has started the season on fire but couldn’t do the deal and he’s not exactly proven at any level. Sign a goalscorer is an easy thing to say but perhaps might have more weight if you offered up some players you feel we should have signed?
So that its a level playing field, if you could please speak to your insider mates at BWFC and furnish me with the same information that IE is / was given i.e. max wages we can offer, max fee we can afford to pay, if any ? & the list of potentially available players that Markham will have given IE I'll offer up some names

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:34 am

There were loan targets. They weren’t landed. Although we may have run out of time, you do wonder if it was wise not to look further down the list, because we’re getting lighter and lighter up top:
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:25 pm
At what point will kachunga be fit, I wonder.
We’ll find out this week. With Isgrove serving a 10-day “concussion suspension” it will surely be Kachunga wide-right against Charlton and Shrewsbury. Unless I’ve forgotten someone the only other possibility is Delf but it’s not his favoured wing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

So that its a level playing field, if you could please speak to your insider mates at BWFC and furnish me with the same information that IE is / was given i.e. max wages we can offer, max fee we can afford to pay, if any ? & the list of potentially available players that Markham will have given IE I'll offer up some names
Anyone available as a free transfer or a loan to league one would do.

The point here is that we weren’t going to sign a proven goalscorer at this level. So any signing would have been taking someone perhaps like Baka and hoping they do the business. I think some of the ‘should have signed a striker’ stuff is purely down to injuries. I don’t disagree that another forward would have been ideal. I said so running up to the deadline. Where I disagree is that we would be getting a striker so much better than Doyle that we’d have been real contenders. I don’t think that was happening. And we look a worse side when Doyle goes off. I also think he will score goals he’s had a couple of games where he’s played well and they’ve not gone in but the best strikers in the world have those periods.

I don’t necessarily even disagree that it would be better to have a stronger forward who is younger and more clinical. Nobody would say no to that. It’s just a question of finding one.

I’m not exactly a huge Doyle fan as was evident last season. But he’s done well this season so far and been crucial to how we play and find space. I wish he’d scored a couple yesterday but I suspect over the season he will score a fair few. The rest of the team also need to chip in though and that is more a question mark for me. I said start of the season we wouldn’t have a 25 goal a season striker but most don’t but we’d need goals from midfield and the wide players. Other than Dapo I’m struggling to see too many.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:00 pm
Other than Dapo I’m struggling to see too many.
Sadly buddy we're all struggling to see too many goals, in nearly every game.

It was always an outside shot we'd get a replacement/upgrade on Doyle, and IMO far from the priority. I still think he can come good (goals-wise) but given the paucity of options – again, no 'worthwhile risk' loanee to throw in while we wait for injuries to clear - he's just going to have to play his way into it rather than being taken out of the firing line, either as carrot (rest) or stick (competition). Kachunga has hardly been demanding a start and now he'll surely take Izzy's riole wide right, meaning Doyle will probably have 270 minutes this week. If by the end of that he's not scored more than one open-play goal, I will start to worry about him, although he doesn't seem the despondent type.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:05 pm

One small consolation; this must be the thread title of the season... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:05 pm
Hadn't noticed til you pointed it out. Very good!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:05 pm
:D Cheers, Tango.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 am

What’s the deal with Isgroves concussion thing then? Politic would be nice to have as a bench option now…

Time for Kachunga to step up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am
When did we try to sign Stockton? Surely he would have come here over signing on again at Morecambe?
I believe we tried to sign him at the start of the summer but that once Morecambe went up it was a hard one to do. Possibly fancied staying where he'd established himself?

I have to say that when it was discussed I was less than thrilled with the prospect which perhaps highlights how past record isn't worth too much when considering signings.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:34 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 am
What’s the deal with Isgroves concussion thing then? Politic would be nice to have as a bench option now…

Time for Kachunga to step up.
It's an odd one. He said on Instagram that he wasn't concussed, it was "just" a bad cut.

I'm guessing here but I suspect we used the "concussion sub" to take him off, and for safety/no piss taking reasons I'm guessing you automatically can't play again in the next 10 days.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am
I have to say that when it was discussed I was less than thrilled with the prospect which perhaps highlights how past record isn't worth too much when considering signings.
I agree on both these things. Last year at ours he seemed not so much one-paced as no-paced, and the idea of a line-leader less mobile than Trevor Morgan didn't send me toward expecting third-tier dominance.

FWIW I suspect he suits their low-possession, hit-and-run system a lot more than he would ours, but I could be wrong. It doesn't feel like Evatt and Markham guess at these things, so if (If) it was a genuine link, they must have seen something in him.

As for past record - aye, it's only a guide. Dapo had a poor record before he came here (and, TBH, a poor goals record here Jan-Jun).

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:47 pm

Just read on the official site that Dixon suffered a broken nose in his collision in the match vs Sunderland. Fair play to the bloke for carrying on playing.