Will Evatt make Addick out of Adkins? Charlton (A), 7:45pm, Tuesday 28/09/21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Evatt make Addick out of Adkins? Charlton (A), 7:45pm, Tuesday 28/09/21

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:24 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:40 pm
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 pm
Bugger, I knew there was someone other than MJ on a suspension. Presumably Brocky back in.
I don't think we have a choice unless we let Baps do it for old times' sake. As I say I wouldn't mind Izzy there in the odd "home game against deep sitters" but he's concussion-suspended.
Not so according to IE. Could be back this weekend.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ssion=true
Ah good, that’s an option then. I liked Kachunga, though… one to ponder, and depth is good.
Kachunga reminds me of Diouf in terms of his touch. I'm just not sure he's the fit for us - he seems to like his back to goal more than taking the opponent on or playing at pace. I do wonder whether he'd be better up front as he seems to like the battle more.

Clearly a player with class but its a question of how to harness him.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Will Evatt make Addick out of Adkins? Charlton (A), 7:45pm, Tuesday 28/09/21

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:44 am

This was an interesting match thread to read knowing the score but not having watched the game. 😂

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:55 am

Well, that was a pleasant surprise.. What a ruthless and high quality second half.

It's been said before; but whilst I enjoy watching us dominate the ball, have all the possession and camp in the oppo's half, I enjoy us looking dangerous and scoring goals even more! When we concede that bit of possession and hit teams on the break after a quick press, we look infinitely better.

When it clicks.. man alive, can we play!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:59 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:55 am
Well, that was a pleasant surprise.. What a ruthless and high quality second half.

It's been said before; but whilst I enjoy watching us dominate the ball, have all the possession and camp in the oppo's half, I enjoy us looking dangerous and scoring goals even more! When we concede that bit of possession and hit teams on the break after a quick press, we look infinitely better.

When it clicks.. man alive, can we play!!
Our best performances have come in the second halves of away games that were either level or we were ahead in at HT. Which I think backs up your point. When the opposition are compelled to come out and have a go we are incredibly dangerous.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:02 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 pm
How did Doyle play tonight? I'd love to see him on the score sheet, but he isn't lately.
Incredible workrate - Don't recall him having any efforts of note, but if it wasn't for him, the rest of the attacking players have an uphill battle. He fights, closes, shows for 1-2's and never gives up.. I'm a big fan
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:11 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:02 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
How did Doyle play tonight? I'd love to see him on the score sheet, but he isn't lately.
Incredible workrate - Don't recall him having any efforts of note, but if it wasn't for him, the rest of the attacking players have an uphill battle. He fights, closes, shows for 1-2's and never gives up.. I'm a big fan
Agreed. Iles notes he had just 10 touches, only two in the box, but he constantly worked and pulled defenders around. Deserved a breather and needs one in a three-game week - and if Izzy’s available then we might see Kachunga give him the last half-hour off on Saturday by assuming that role. As BWFCi notes, it’d be intriguing to see him up there linking play - but that’s to take nothing away from Doyler’s workmate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
This. The lad has worked incredibly hard this season. His effort is critical to how we press and play. Like Sarce I think we are a much better team with him in.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:17 am

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yeah works his absolute socks off, what a guy. He was name-checked by Evatt in his post match interview last night.

“I must say him [Sarcevic] and Eoin, their work ethic for the team and out of possession is fantastic. Eoin didn’t get on the scoresheet today, but the work he puts in for the team enables the team to function and it’s important you recognise that”

I'm sure we'd all love for him to score a hat-trick every week but his off the ball work and link up play really does set the benchmark for the rest of the lads.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:41 am

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
That's great B.B, thanks. Good to hear as I like the man.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:47 am

Fun to read this whole thread after the game :D you bunch on panic fannies!

Was a strange one, that first half was bad, as bad as I've seen us this season. A truly dreadful goal to concede, Leko had John on toast, no ideas going forward, and that ponderous pace in the build up. Started getting sarcastic cheers from the away end and I thought we were on for a telling off from the manager at full time on the need to educate us!

Huge goal from Dapo, then the second half started with only a slight improvement. Helped by the truly baffling decision from Adkins to take Leko and swap him to the side against our full back who can defend which nullified him, and then we eventually won the arm wrestle to get in front and then blew them away once they had to come out.

It wasn't vintage, but there's definitely just something about this team.

Gethin Jones was absolutely superb and deserved motm in normal circumstances. Continues to improve. Lee anonymous first half and superb the second, the curse is broken! And an assist as well. .

Sarc had a bit of a shocker (albeit a superbly taken goal to put the cherry on top) even by his standards there were a couple where his first touch was so bad he couldn't even put in a tackle for his second and similarly Doyle didn't play particularly well but what I absolutely love about both of them is their "floor" is so high. Even when they have bad games they still give you so much. The work rate, the pressing, the leadership, everything. A great set of lads.

I think Kachunga is one to appreciate more in the flesh. He's not quick at all but he's a properly clever footballer. His movements, finding space. And though he hasn't scored yet he keeps getting in great positions and I think the goals will come. It's not luck he finds himself in there.

Dapo was a bit overshadowed by Leko in the first half (who was absolutely superb tbf, looked far too good for this level) but as soon as the game opened up he showed his class.

Got absolutely soaked afterwards, was certainly glad we'd *won* 4-1!

Up the mighty fecking whites!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:58 am

^^ Yeah I think its fair to say even though we won 4-1 it wasn't a '4-1' game. In all honesty when we scored the second we looked a different side and a class above Charlton. But till then I'd say we looked marginally second best overall. It was a game of fine margins inspite of the scoreline. Had we not scored before HT then....who knows. Had Charlton taken the lead just before we scored....

But nice to come out the right side. I agree on Kachunga in that he looks to be a clever type of player but not sure how we use him effectively yet. He worked I guess to an extent away on the right but at home I fear he might slow our play too much in that role.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:08 pm

Agreed but nice to come out on the right side of that for one recently! We've deserved it.

Also agreed with the point I think you made earlier on that there's a weird pattern to these away games. Ponderous slow start and a big improvement in the second. You start to think it's part of the plan, to wear them down, but then someone comes out after to say they got a bollocking at half time :D. Maybe he should bollock then before the game.

We're still searching for that balance I think, of controlling the ball and so minimising the risk going the other way, but getting enough tempo in to hurt teams.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:08 pm
Agreed but nice to come out on the right side of that for one recently! We've deserved it.

Also agreed with the point I think you made earlier on that there's a weird pattern to these away games. Ponderous slow start and a big improvement in the second. You start to think it's part of the plan, to wear them down, but then someone comes out after to say they got a bollocking at half time :D. Maybe he should bollock then before the game.

We're still searching for that balance I think, of controlling the ball and so minimising the risk going the other way, but getting enough tempo in to hurt teams.
Evatt said that he told them off but equally that 'wearing teams down' is the plan. I think we honestly need to stop conceding first because Charlton weren't great but any better side might have thumped us after that early goal. And we need as you say to find a comfortable balance. Periods of playing at tempo then periods of trying to slow the game a bit but have the ball. We struggle a bit with the latter generally because we're always looking to vacate the midfield and that means that controlled possession doesn't happen too often.

Overall though 15 points from 10 games is above I think any realistic expectation and we are at many points exhilarating to watch. First halves though at home are important. Get a goal and force teams out against us - game is different. So hope we start fast on Saturday.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:47 am
Sarc had a bit of a shocker (albeit a superbly taken goal to put the cherry on top) even by his standards there were a couple where his first touch was so bad he couldn't even put in a tackle for his second
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it mate, even at 0-1 I was sorry I couldn;t be there, but work's manic at the mo (good thing I suppose)

As the eskimo cook said, "whale meat again"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:01 pm

It’s definitely no surprise that on 75-90 minutes are lads are still charging around just as the opposition are tiring. If we can crack scoring first that will only get more obvious.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:06 pm

Keiron Lee - that’s effectively 3 goals for the season now (bastard ref) same as Sheehan…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Somewhat differing managerial views on the game in the B.N. Not an amused one from the Addicks boss..Talk about covering your... :lol:

Can we Shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury on Saturday and keep on marching? They're basement candidates, so a good chance. Come on...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:47 am
Fun to read this whole thread after the game :D you bunch on panic fannies!

Was a strange one, that first half was bad, as bad as I've seen us this season. A truly dreadful goal to concede, Leko had John on toast, no ideas going forward, and that ponderous pace in the build up. Started getting sarcastic cheers from the away end and I thought we were on for a telling off from the manager at full time on the need to educate us!

Huge goal from Dapo, then the second half started with only a slight improvement. Helped by the truly baffling decision from Adkins to take Leko and swap him to the side against our full back who can defend which nullified him, and then we eventually won the arm wrestle to get in front and then blew them away once they had to come out.

It wasn't vintage, but there's definitely just something about this team.

Gethin Jones was absolutely superb and deserved motm in normal circumstances. Continues to improve. Lee anonymous first half and superb the second, the curse is broken! And an assist as well. .

Sarc had a bit of a shocker (albeit a superbly taken goal to put the cherry on top) even by his standards there were a couple where his first touch was so bad he couldn't even put in a tackle for his second and similarly Doyle didn't play particularly well but what I absolutely love about both of them is their "floor" is so high. Even when they have bad games they still give you so much. The work rate, the pressing, the leadership, everything. A great set of lads.

I think Kachunga is one to appreciate more in the flesh. He's not quick at all but he's a properly clever footballer. His movements, finding space. And though he hasn't scored yet he keeps getting in great positions and I think the goals will come. It's not luck he finds himself in there.

Dapo was a bit overshadowed by Leko in the first half (who was absolutely superb tbf, looked far too good for this level) but as soon as the game opened up he showed his class.

Got absolutely soaked afterwards, was certainly glad we'd *won* 4-1!

Up the mighty fecking whites!
Thanks Pru, for the run-down/report. Helps a lot when you're not there.. :oyea:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:46 pm

I tell you what, we are really an attractive side to watch. Even Premiere League teams on Saturdays are not as good to watch as we are, and I am not exaggerating. We scored a lot yesterday but we have played better and lost. Such is football. I love the way Dixon plays our passing game. He is integral to how we play. Our Defense will concede at least one each game which is worrying but they know the system well. Lee brings more stability in midfield as he lulls the opposition to play higher with his starting position beside MJ, thus opening more spaces for our forwards. With him, even MJ ventured more forward yesterday. Kachunga does have good football intelligence. Would love to see him getting the ball in the box and seeing what he would do with it. He is so calm. Lets not blow this momentum on so called "inferior" opposition on Saturday. They will be coming to cause an upset and we must be on our game.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:49 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm
Hope Santos isn’t on for a suspension now!
That's his fourth yellow, putting him level with MJ - and one behind Gethin, whose 90th-minute yellow was his fifth, meaning a suspension AFAIK. Interesting to see who plays there...

(Nobody else has more than two BTW)
I read that cards are competition specific this year. One of Gethin's was in the cup - so 'only' 4 afaict.