Will we shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury. Home v them. 3-0lock Saturday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Will we shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury. Home v them. 3-0lock Saturday.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:43 pm
Dominant performance. Santos was immense. Aside from the penalty and the dubious free kick, Shrewsbury never really had a sniff. We were terrific.
You really do have issues - so apart from a penalty & a goal which made it 2-1 we were terrific, so if so called penalty was scored it would have been 2-2 is that correct ?

They also had 6 corners to our 0 & had more shots than us, I'm not disputing that we deserved to win and 1st 30 mins we were good, but dominant, terrific performance come on FFS.
Last edited by Bertie Wooster on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will we shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury. Home v them. 3-0lock Saturday.

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 pm

Given the miles put in on the road and on the pitch in the last week I’m not surprised we hit the buffers a bit second half. Any news on Jones? Great to get two wins on the bounce.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:03 pm

I thought we looked leggy and it was the worst we’ve played at home. But we won. Superb worldy from Sarce and Dapo does what he seems to do.

At 2-0 and all game we were incredibly vulnerable on transitions and in fairness I’d say they deserved a point out of the game. But our quality going forwards notably Sarce and Lee who ran the midfield in an attacking sense and Dapo and Doyle’s workrate made the difference.

Subs seemed to weaken us even though the fresh legs were needed. Sheehan definitely struggled coming on.

But it is what it is. I said after Burton we’d play ten times worse this season and win and today was that day.

We do need to sort out the issue of transition as our midfield was non existent too many times this afternoon. Do that against one to the top teams and we could easily be on the end of a right thumping. Defensively for me we are also sloppy. The penalty a prime example.

But 18 points is a superb return so we have to enjoy this.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:03 pm
I thought we looked leggy and it was the worst we’ve played at home. But we won. Superb worldy from Sarce and Dapo does what he seems to do.

At 2-0 and all game we were incredibly vulnerable on transitions and in fairness I’d say they deserved a point out of the game. But our quality going forwards notably Sarce and Lee who ran the midfield in an attacking sense and Dapo and Doyle’s workrate made the difference.

Subs seemed to weaken us even though the fresh legs were needed. Sheehan definitely struggled coming on.

But it is what it is. I said after Burton we’d play ten times worse this season and win and today was that day.

We do need to sort out the issue of transition as our midfield was non existent too many times this afternoon. Do that against one to the top teams and we could easily be on the end of a right thumping. Defensively for me we are also sloppy. The penalty a prime example.

Spot on.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:26 pm

Yeah was a really strange game. We started nervously but settled in and looked a real force, however it was far too easy for Shrewsbury to gain territory by going long and picking up second balls from knock downs.

The balance of the midfield doesn't seem quite right at the moment. Last season we played with two CMs a bit deeper, whereas this season we're using MJ Williams as the lone holding midfielder and the other centre-mid push up alongside Sarcevic. It definitely gives us a lot more in an attacking sense but we are very open in transition after having lost the ball.

At 2-0 up it seemed sensible to me to just drop Sarcevic and Lee slightly deeper to regain a bit more solidity in the centre of the pitch and just slow the game down.

It should have been a lot more comfortable but you can't argue with another 3 points :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:03 pm

Spot on.
Plenty where we don't get what we deserved, like Burton. So we'll have this one. Good three points.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:45 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:26 pm
Yeah was a really strange game. We started nervously but settled in and looked a real force, however it was far too easy for Shrewsbury to gain territory by going long and picking up second balls from knock downs.

The balance of the midfield doesn't seem quite right at the moment. Last season we played with two CMs a bit deeper, whereas this season we're using MJ Williams as the lone holding midfielder and the other centre-mid push up alongside Sarcevic. It definitely gives us a lot more in an attacking sense but we are very open in transition after having lost the ball.

At 2-0 up it seemed sensible to me to just drop Sarcevic and Lee slightly deeper to regain a bit more solidity in the centre of the pitch and just slow the game down.

It should have been a lot more comfortable but you can't argue with another 3 points :oyea:
I can understand why he doesn’t want to drop deeper but to facilitate how we play we need to be better than we were for long periods today. Move the ball better and choose when to keep it and when to push.

But yes it would have made sense to sit Lee in with MJ at 2-0 and at least for a period try and appear more solid. For me they only looked dangerous when the transition allowed them to. It wouldn’t have hurt to let them have the ball at times and do the same to them.

It’s odd because at 2 you thought we’d go on and score more but I think Tuesday did catch up with us.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:52 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Dominant performance. Santos was immense. Aside from the penalty and the dubious free kick, Shrewsbury never really had a sniff. We were terrific.
You really do have issues - so apart from a penalty & a goal which made it 2-1 we were terrific, so if so called penalty was scored it would have been 2-2 is that correct ?

They also had 6 corners to our 0 & had more shots than us, I'm not disputing that we deserved to win and 1st 30 mins we were good, but dominant, terrific performance come on FFS.
Tell me, how many other clear-cut attempts did they have where Dixon actually had to make a save? I'll grant you the chance that Santos cleared off the line. Not all of us see the world through glasses smeared with shite. I put forth that you're the one with issues, misery-guts.

At no point did I feel we were unduly threatened other than those three opportunities - the free kick, the penalty and the end of the 1st half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:00 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:52 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 pm
truewhite15 wrote:

Tell me, how many other clear-cut attempts did they have where Dixon actually had to make a save? I'll grant you the chance that Santos cleared off the line. Not all of us see the world through glasses smeared with shite. I put forth that you're the one with issues, misery-guts.

At no point did I feel we were unduly threatened other than those three opportunities - the free kick, the penalty and the end of the 1st half.
Apart from their goal and a penalty and the one off the line it’s true they didn’t create much.

But equally apart from our two outstanding goals neither did we.

In fairness there isn’t much to be negative about generally but today even IE said he wasn’t happy. I suspect it was an issue of fatigue more than anything else.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:03 pm

F'ing ell truew, you're like the Monty Python Black Knight....

We dominated & where terrific apart from the 3 or 4 times they could have easily scored.

It was a very important & deserved 3 points but come on it could have quite easily been 2-2, as Worthy said we didn't get what we deserved against Burton so we'll take those 3 points today & as BWFCI says 18 points to date is fantastic - but please don't dress up today just to have a dig at me.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:03 pm
F'ing ell truew, you're like the Monty Python Black Knight....

We dominated & where terrific apart from the 3 or 4 times they could have easily scored.

It was a very important & deserved 3 points but come on it could have quite easily been 2-2, as Worthy said we didn't get what we deserved against Burton so we'll take those 3 points today & as BWFCI says 18 points to date is fantastic - but please don't dress up today just to have a dig at me.
I wasn't having a dig at you until you had a dig at me. Back in yer box.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 pm

And FWIW I thought we missed Doylar when he went off. His workrate is so good. Baka understandably rusty but would have liked ideally Baka to play where Kachunga was who for me was a passenger most of the time.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 pm
And FWIW I thought we missed Doylar when he went off. His workrate is so good. Baka understandably rusty but would have liked ideally Baka to play where Kachunga was who for me was a passenger most of the time.
Agree with this. Kacha not quite up to the same level as the rest.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It's amazing how we all see things differently, I'm not saying that you are wrong but I thought that Baka did more in 15-20 mins than Doyle did in the previous 70 odd mins.

As I've said a few times previously Doyle is in the side to score goals, but I'm not arguing with anyone its still a great 3 points & the beers are flowing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:39 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It's amazing how we all see things differently, I'm not saying that you are wrong but I thought that Baka did more in 15-20 mins than Doyle did in the previous 70 odd mins.

As I've said a few times previously Doyle is in the side to score goals, but I'm not arguing with anyone its still a great 3 points & the beers are flowing.
Baka did more to lose the ball in the 20 minutes he was on that was for sure. I like him and it was clearly a big ask given he’s been out injured. But in the ten minutes before Baka came on Doyle three times nipped in front of his centre half and stole the ball which took the pressure off. Ideally both would have been on with Baka off the right for me.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:43 pm

We did win

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:45 pm

Everything I've seen of baka so far tells me he's built like a target man but is actually terrible at it. In Isgrove's position he looks a real handful, in Doyle's he's been awful, I watched a few of his games before he signed and it was the same thing. Kachunga is a strange one, he looks like a talented footballer but so far he's bringing nothing to this team, a bit like Delf. Lots of sub-par performances today except Santos who was frankly incredible. I think we would have lost today without him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:01 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:45 pm
Everything I've seen of baka so far tells me he's built like a target man but is actually terrible at it. In Isgrove's position he looks a real handful, in Doyle's he's been awful, I watched a few of his games before he signed and it was the same thing. Kachunga is a strange one, he looks like a talented footballer but so far he's bringing nothing to this team, a bit like Delf. Lots of sub-par performances today except Santos who was frankly incredible. I think we would have lost today without him.
Dixon, Santos, Sarce and Lee. Not sure you can pick out much wrong with those 4 today.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:01 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Dixon, Santos, Sarce and Lee. Not sure you can pick out much wrong with those 4 today.
Or Johnston. Or John. Or MJ. Etcetera.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:11 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:01 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Or Johnston. Or John. Or MJ. Etcetera.
Definitely wasn’t John or MJ’s strongest performance. MJ looked very tired. John coming back to full fitness. Neither did lots wrong but MJ definitely struggled more than usual.