Will we shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury. Home v them. 3-0lock Saturday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Will we shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury. Home v them. 3-0lock Saturday.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:13 pm

If we'd been offered a 1-0 pre match we'd have been doing hand-springs. Just saying.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will we shake a spear at the Taming of the Shrewsbury. Home v them. 3-0lock Saturday.

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:43 pm
We did win

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:10 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:02 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:43 pm
We did win
Yes we did and I am delighted. Santos was brilliant, Lee was also very good and credit to 2 excellent goals and a penalty save which saved us 2 points. Not a great performance but I will take it. My biggest disappointment was Kachunga who didn't do much wrong but I thought slowed us down when he got it and also left his full back doubled up a few times when they attacked. Would love to see him at # 9 where I thought he would go when Baka came on. Not at our best today but made my Saturday a happy one.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 am

The standouts were obviously Santos, but also Lee and Sarcevic, particularly first half. Lee looked tired and it was the right decision to bring him off. Sheehan looked poor, but has been decent so was still the right sub to make. Lee has his place back now though, no question.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:29 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 am
The standouts were obviously Santos, but also Lee and Sarcevic, particularly first half. Lee looked tired and it was the right decision to bring him off. Sheehan looked poor, but has been decent so was still the right sub to make. Lee has his place back now though, no question.
Agree there. Lee was very very good but just tired. Sheehan had fresh legs but to me after early brilliance this season hasn’t been on it of late. Perhaps Wales disrupted his rhythm.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:30 am

I thought we were going to push on and put four or five past them after Dapo scored, but it ended up being a bit of a flat performance in the end. Fatigue was seemingly a big factor, so you’d think/hope that none of our key players will feature in the Papa Johns.

I think overall we’ve got to be very pleased with the start we’ve made. I think where we are at the moment, just outside the playoffs, is where I’d expect us to finish with this squad. I reckon we’re probably lacking the depth to finish higher, but with a couple of good additions in January, top 6 becomes a very real possibility.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:33 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:10 am

Yes we did and I am delighted. Santos was brilliant, Lee was also very good and credit to 2 excellent goals and a penalty save which saved us 2 points. Not a great performance but I will take it. My biggest disappointment was Kachunga who didn't do much wrong but I thought slowed us down when he got it and also left his full back doubled up a few times when they attacked. Would love to see him at # 9 where I thought he would go when Baka came on. Not at our best today but made my Saturday a happy one.
Only had Iles to follow, but this seems about right. Had they scored the penalty (which they should have done,) we'd have got one point not three, and the referee is always a factor (usually a bad one) in our games. Such is football and we won, so well done.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Delighted to win, obviously, but it was a flat performance, a flat atmosphere in the stadium, which has mostly been great this season. We did enough though

2 fantastic goals, but we did almost shoot ourselves in the foot. Penalty looked like a dive, but as ever, very muted demonstrations to the ref. The freekick was a bit of a schoolboy error, but the fact that the ref didn't wave play on and the lino had his flag up, I can forgive him.

Again though, another example of looking like more of a goal threat when we don't control the game like we want to...........
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:49 pm

Still a lot of moaning Wanderers fans, particularly near my seat. Most don't like the playing out from the back which at times has left us gasping. It's the way Evatt has set them up, he wants to play that style which does mean taking a few risks. I can't get it when these folk keep complaining, what the hell do they want?
It was another exciting game, I haven't seen a bad one so far. Long may this style of football continue.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Ha, people want it up the pitch quicker but they don’t like long ball. Madness isn’t it.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:54 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:49 pm
Still a lot of moaning Wanderers fans, particularly near my seat. Most don't like the playing out from the back which at times has left us gasping. It's the way Evatt has set them up, he wants to play that style which does mean taking a few risks. I can't get it when these folk keep complaining, what the hell do they want?
It was another exciting game, I haven't seen a bad one so far. Long may this style of football continue.
Aye. Far too many still whining for it to be punted up the pitch ad infinitum. Or grunting "shoooooot" like a stuck cow, despite the fact that the player in possession is either fifty yards out, has an opponent stood six inches directly in front of him, or a combination of the two.

I'd say it's a consequence of too much FIFA, but the main suspects aren't really of that age. Too many highlights programmes?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Round me I hear a lot of ‘stop messing about’ and ‘put your laces through it laddddd’

I mean you’d think by now people would have realised this is how we are set up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:25 pm
Athertonian wrote:
Round me I hear a lot of ‘stop messing about’ and ‘put your laces through it laddddd’

I mean you’d think by now people would have realised this is how we are set up.

I've a feeling that a "Get feck*' rid" can only be a matter of time :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:12 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Athertonian wrote:
Aye. Far too many still whining for it to be punted up the pitch ad infinitum. Or grunting "shoooooot" like a stuck cow, despite the fact that the player in possession is either fifty yards out, has an opponent stood six inches directly in front of him, or a combination of the two.

I'd say it's a consequence of too much FIFA, but the main suspects aren't really of that age. Too many highlights programmes?
Yeah its people used to moaning about watching a long ball side but deep down enjoying it. Its all the older ones near me. In fairness its unusual seeing a Bolton keeper play as a sweeper but its pretty obvious that's how we're playing so just deal with it rather than scream at Santos to 'stop fannying around and get it forward'. Which was my favourite from the weekend. I mean there are times we'll be caught out but equally surrendering the ball by launching it long won't make us better with Doyle up front.

It was telling that the biggest round of applause round me was Baka coming on and launching himself at a defender. Not saying it wasn't good that he made his presence felt and it was a good challenge but clearly lots of the crowd, dare I say the majority prefer that to the football we play.

I don't mind how we play personally I enjoy all sorts of football. Last season I didn't think we were that easy on the eye. But this time we are for my money an outstanding watch at times.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:12 am
It was telling that the biggest round of applause round me was Baka coming on and launching himself at a defender. Not saying it wasn't good that he made his presence felt and it was a good challenge but clearly lots of the crowd, dare I say the majority prefer that to the football we play.
While I don't doubt your assessment of those around you, you'll always get that reaction above. Several of the first wave of Premier League imports are on record expressing amazement at how crowds would react to a sliding tackle with joyful guttural roars, and you still get a bit of that these days, even at say a Man City or whatever – we just like to see a full-blooded challenge from our mon on theirs. And in this instance it was multiplied by the pleasure of seeing an injured player come back fearlessly.

Again, I'm not saying The Bloke Behind You isn't a reactionary, because I hear reactionary views all the time at football - from the political to the tactical to the technical to the statistical. This stuff takes time to settle in, and I'm talking decades rather than months. The old boys will still revert to put-your-laces-through-it disdain, and that's sort of understandable - the anger comes from fear, and the fear comes from being a fan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:12 am
While I don't doubt your assessment of those around you, you'll always get that reaction above. Several of the first wave of Premier League imports are on record expressing amazement at how crowds would react to a sliding tackle with joyful guttural roars, and you still get a bit of that these days, even at say a Man City or whatever – we just like to see a full-blooded challenge from our mon on theirs. And in this instance it was multiplied by the pleasure of seeing an injured player come back fearlessly.

Again, I'm not saying The Bloke Behind You isn't a reactionary, because I hear reactionary views all the time at football - from the political to the tactical to the technical to the statistical. This stuff takes time to settle in, and I'm talking decades rather than months. The old boys will still revert to put-your-laces-through-it disdain, and that's sort of understandable - the anger comes from fear, and the fear comes from being a fan.
Believe me I enjoy a Kevin Davies style challenge as much as anyone. I am a believer in you play however is most effective. Certainly a good physical side on form are entertaining. You don't need to play tiki taka for me.

And I get the 'wow that's risky' sentiment but surely everyone has seen enough of us to know what we do and to just accept that's how we are going to play? Most of the crowd are enjoying it but you do just have those that seem to not even understand it which I find odd given you know Evatt has set his stall out and after a few games you can see what we're about. I don't mean people have to like it its more the confusion that I don't get. Its a bit like a Stoke fan after 2 seasons of Pulis saying 'pass and move' I mean sure...but its not what you do - surely you know by now?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:45 pm

I'm loving the way we play right now but it doesn't stop me from being anxious on those occasions we make a hash of playing it out from the back. Two occasions on Saturday immediately spring to mind.

Likewise, if we pass it beyond their front men and there's a chance to break quickly with say 4 on 4, I might tut if we're slow to react and move sideways or backwards again. Sue me!

Playing out from the back and playing nice football as we are, doesn't mean you cant go long occasionally when the opportunity presents itself.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:45 pm
I'm loving the way we play right now but it doesn't stop me from being anxious on those occasions we make a hash of playing it out from the back. Two occasions on Saturday immediately spring to mind.

Likewise, if we pass it beyond their front men and there's a chance to break quickly with say 4 on 4, I might tut if we're slow to react and move sideways or backwards again. Sue me!

Playing out from the back and playing nice football as we are, doesn't mean you cant go long occasionally when the opportunity presents itself.
Oh believe me its not like I sit there and don't think 'bloody hell that's risky'. Everyone does. But its more the constant 'get it gone' 'knock it long' and not the people who obviously can see opportunities for a plan B. Its more that some are genuinely confused by what they are watching and think we're just making it up as we go along. We're drilled to play like this. Against Rotherham though we went longer - so not like we're wedded to it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:16 pm

It all gets confused. A tough tackle isn't really governed by whether you're playing long ball or out from the back. Neither is the notion of going back to front in one pass that exploits space. Nor does any system dictate there aren't occasionally reasons to put your laces through it (and that being the correct pick). Just that you're more likely to do them as last resort....We certainly aren't going to start generally pinging it in the direction of Doyle's head and waiting for the knock-down

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:16 pm
It all gets confused. A tough tackle isn't really governed by whether you're playing long ball or out from the back.
Indeed. Every time I see this I still want to jump up, fists clenched, whilst shouting "fecking well in, Kev. Get up you soft c*nt".

And I'm sure I'm not in the minority either. ;)

May the bridges I burn light your way