Oh Mein Papa...Home V Liverpool under 21's,, 7-0 clock Tues 05-10-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Oh Mein Papa...Home V Liverpool under 21's,, 7-0 clock Tues 05-10-21

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:31 pm

So who isn't eligible to play against the young Scousers? Papa John trophy time again. What's the team likely to be.?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Oh Mein Papa...Home V Liverpool under 21's,, 7-0 clock Tues 05-10-21

Post by brommers95 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm

The group table as it stands

Group D.png
Group D.png (29.57 KiB) Viewed 1788 times

It’s a shame that most of the kids are either on loan or injured as this competition is the perfect opportunity to give a few of them some ‘first team’ minutes.

Rules dictate that four of our ten outfield players must be a ‘qualifying player’.

A qualifying player is:

* Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture.
* Any player who was in the top 10 players at the club who had made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season.
* Any player with forty or more first-team appearances in their career.
* Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL Category One Academy club.

To the best of my knowledge, the following names count as a QP:

Defenders
Gethin Jones
Declan John
Ricardo Santos
George Johnston
Will Aimson
Alex Baptiste
Liam Gordon (not 100% sure whether first team appearances below L2 level count towards this, I’m assuming they do)

Midfielders
MJ Williams
Josh Sheehan
Antoni Sarcevic
Kieran Lee

Attackers
Nathan Delfouneso
Eoin Doyle
Amadou Bakayoko
Depo Afolayan
Lloyd Isgrove
Elias Kachunga

I imagine Evatt will rest as many first-teamers as possible after mentioning how tired they were on Saturday resulting from the mid week trip to Charlton. Fortunately we have enough backups who have the required 40 first team appearances to allow the guys who started against Shrewsbury a rest.

Thinking we’ll line up something like this:
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 11.22.48.png
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 11.22.48.png (157.68 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
The only problem would appear to be who plays as the third central midfielder with Thomason and Sheehan. With Tutte injured, Comley not registered and Darcy out on loan, we’re starting to look a bit light there.

There is the potential to bring in youngster Mitchell Henry who could perhaps play up front while Delfouneso shifts to CAM and Baka goes to LW.

Some of Henry’s teammates in the U18s - Ryan Colvin, Maxwell Conway and Matthew Tweedley - will likely feature on the bench.

Worth mentioning that each win in the group stage nets £10k (and a draw £5k), a figure that then rises to £32k for a win in the first knockout round.

As we are required to play in this competition, it’s not the end of the world if we get through to the knockout stages to offer some more game time to the backups and youngsters whilst making a bit of money in the process.
Last edited by brommers95 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:48 pm

Get to Wembley and win it. Why not? This season more than any I can remember we are relatively safe from disaster. So why not go out and win this? Agree with team above and quandry over midfield because MJ needs a rest as does probably Sarce and its not a game for Kieran Lee to be worried about.

But yeah a day out at Wembley and a trophy would be nice.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:50 pm

Rochdale beat this lot 4-0.

Give everyone who featured on the bench on Saturday a start. Throw in Brockbank for Jones. But let's go and win it, and win it well. As I said last time - I'm not bothered that it's a tin-pot cup, I want us to win the damn thing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:14 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Liam Gordon (not 100% sure whether first team appearances below L2 level count towards this, I’m assuming they do)
No, they don't.
https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/t ... ion/rules/
7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

7.5 First Team Fixture means the League Competition, Premier League, EFL Cup or FA Challenge Cup (but shall, in the context of Rules 7.4.3 and 7.4.4 only, also include this Competition).
However, depending how they assess the rules, Gordon should still qualify under 7.4.3 (most starts) - he's started 8 of our 14 games in all comps, the same as Isgrove; as nine players have started more, that makes them "joint 10th".

Plenty options though, the rules are quite pliable. From your suggested XI, as far as I can see only Brocky and Thomo count as non-qualifying, so we're well within the limit.

Also worth noting that I *think* Evatt said when deregistering Comley that he could still play in this comp - which would be the third midfielder sorted.

I would like us to win this cup, and I would like to think that our shadow squad can beat L'pool's kids; pretty much everybody else has - in their three Sherpa Reserves campaigns so far they're running at Pl 7 W0 D1 L6 F10 A26. As noted, by TrueWhite15, in this group's first game they got done 4-0 by Dale; last season, they lost all three group games in a variety of interesting ways – 6-1 at Wigan, 3-2 at Tranmere (in the last minute after being 1-0 up), 4-2 at Vale (again after being 1-0 up). Season before that they lost 3-2 at Oldham, drew 1-1 at Fleetwood (and lost on pens), and 5-2 at Accy. The five seasons before that they refused to take part.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:22 pm

I'd like to see the players getting a run out. Comley is a strange one as i'm not sure he's going to get to play. Given Tutte is out it would make sense but Evatt may favour someone that's likely to come through, whereas I get the impression Comley is playing out his contract.

Gilks

Brockbank
Aimson
Baptiste
Gordon

Sheehan
Thomason
Comley

Delfouneso
Bakayoko
Henry

Not sure if Edwards is back, or if Amaechi is in contention (I suspect not). But a lot of our more high profile reserves are out on loan so its time to give the rest a go.

The reserves are going to be playing today (rearranged from a different date) so I suspect that's going to play a huge part in who is selectable for tomorrow.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Delfouneso shits to CAM
Bit harsh

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:14 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm
No, they don't.
https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/t ... ion/rules/

However, depending how they assess the rules, Gordon should still qualify under 7.4.3 (most starts) - he's started 8 of our 14 games in all comps, the same as Isgrove; as nine players have started more, that makes them "joint 10th".

Also worth noting that I *think* Evatt said when deregistering Comley that he could still play in this comp - which would be the third midfielder sorted.
Thanks for the info DSB :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 pm

Very welcome, Brommers - thanks for your info too

Wasn't Evatt but Iles: "Although he is currently unable to play in league games, Comley can feature in the Papa John’s Trophy."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... quad-list/

I'd pick Comley tonight partly to rest MJ, Sexy Kieran and the skipper, but also to give Sheehan and Tomo insurance to do their thing. Possibly a 6-and-two-8s formation.

Mar: Amaechi not expected back for a while yet, Edwards – who knows?

I would like to pick Kachunga up top (where I think he could link play better than wide right) with Baka RW, but it depends. After the Shrewsbury match Evatt said "Kacha hasn’t played much and he’s tired, Baka was returning but not fit enough to play 90 minutes" - so we might have to sub them both off after an hour or so. However, that's fine by me especially as if we're in front we can bring on a Mitchell Henry, say.

Gilks; Brocky, Aimson, Baptiste, Gordon; Comley, Thomason, Sheehan; Baka, Kachunga, Delf.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:31 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:22 pm

The reserves are going to be playing today (rearranged from a different date) so I suspect that's going to play a huge part in who is selectable for tomorrow.
Was thinking the same but the game has apparently been rearranged to a later date.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:32 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:28 pm
Delfouneso shits to CAM
Bit harsh
:shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:37 pm

I wonder if young Phillips will be playing for them? Seems to have disappeared off the scene after having done well there towards the end of last season. Still don't think we've heard the last of him being released by his own father, only to pitch up at Anfield when he was supposedly on his way to college in the US. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:48 pm

I cant decide whether to go to this or not. On the one hand i want to support the club and the team and keep my run of attendances going. On the other, the whole B team and pandering to the big clubs that this competition has become, makes me think it can get to feck.

Like BP and his running, I'll let the weather decide.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:51 pm

I reckon Isgrove will feature as he's relatively fresh from his recent absence. But if there's a replacement available I'd have him on the bench.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:48 pm
I cant decide whether to go to this or not. On the one hand i want to support the club and the team and keep my run of attendances going. On the other, the whole B team and pandering to the big clubs that this competition has become, makes me think it can get to feck.

:lol:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm

I'd definitely not be starting any of our first choice lads, and I also don't think Kachunga will be ready to start again so soon. Our back-ups plus a couple of youngsters should be enough to see off Liverpool's youths.

Gilks

Brockbank Baptiste Aimson Gordon

Thomason Sheehan

Youngster

Youngster Bakayoko Delfouneso

I don't know enough about our young players to give a particularly educated guess about who we could bring in, but if I have a wild stab based on our recent reserves and u18 games I'd say Mitch Henry, Matthew Tweedley, Max Conway and Lamine Toure would be options.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Alright Forrest Gump! Keep an eye out for any pesky holes you might fall down on the way!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Alright Forrest Gump! Keep an eye out for any pesky holes you might fall down on the way!
:lol: you bothering tomorrow pal?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Evatt per the BN:

"Will is going to play, Baps will play, Gillo will play, Liam Gordon will play, Harry Brockbank will play, do you want to know the team? It’s like rugby, this,” the manager said"
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

:lol: you bothering tomorrow pal?

Governors meeting after work. Doubt I’ll get away in time.