When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:08 pm

3-0 clock kick off.The super Whites go Owl hunting at Hillsboro looking to maintain our form. Might be just a bit of a tasty Roses encounter. Views on the team and result? Let it rip....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:08 pm
3-0 clock kick off.The super Whites go Owl hunting at Hillsboro looking to maintain our form. Might be just a bit of a tasty Roses encounter. Views on the team and result? Let it rip....
A side that's not been in great form, but is expected to come out and win every home game, leaving gaps that we know our boys can exploit. Especially 3000 fans behind them. Not going unfortunately, so we'll probably win.

Lost on my 2 previous trips there. Once to a Chris waddle inspired 90s team, once under Lennon.

I'm quietly confident.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:43 pm

The ducking we got when jimmy Phillips played right back!

As ever, we’ll give it a good go. Surprised to see them 12th in the league to be honest, thought they started ok.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:43 pm
The ducking we got when jimmy Phillips played right back!

As ever, we’ll give it a good go. Surprised to see them 12th in the league to be honest, thought they started ok.
If ever it was important not to concede early...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:36 pm

I've only ever been once before. A league cup 2nd round 2 leg that we lost 0-1 aet.

This is definitely winnable and like Ipswich last month, they've not properly found their feet yet and it could be a good time to play them. Hopefully we can do ourselves justice.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:36 pm
I've only ever been once before. A league cup 2nd round 2 leg that we lost 0-1 aet.

This is definitely winnable and like Ipswich last month, they've not properly found their feet yet and it could be a good time to play them. Hopefully we can do ourselves justice.
Well if even YOU think we have a chance I might try to sneak a last minute ticket.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:04 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:57 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:36 pm

Well if even YOU think we have a chance I might try to sneak a last minute ticket.
Woah woah! Any chance we might have is seriously reduced if you pitch up, ya Jonah feck! 😉
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:26 am

The little bit I've seen of SW they looked good to me. Had them down as one of the better sides. So surprising that they sit below us albeit only 3 points off. And I suspect that our wins at Ipswich and Charlton are not so reflective of going to a stronger Sheffield Wednesday. But we've got Baka back presumably off the bench to add firepower and Kachunga may score against his old club...who knows.

Fancy a 1-1 or 2-2. Will be tight. Not sure we'll go there and blow them away and there is always the possibility we can't score but a score draw to me seems the likely outcome.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:13 am

Fully expecting a "charge of the heavy brigade" right from the off from the homers, so our defence needs to be bang on form. Despite our league position, we've blotted our copybook a bit lately, losing two of the last five, so we're not seen as unbeatable. As ever, I,m going for a win, but it won't be easy. 2-1 us. .!! COME ON YOU WHITES. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:26 am
The little bit I've seen of SW they looked good to me. Had them down as one of the better sides. So surprising that they sit below us albeit only 3 points off. And I suspect that our wins at Ipswich and Charlton are not so reflective of going to a stronger Sheffield Wednesday. But we've got Baka back presumably off the bench to add firepower and Kachunga may score against his old club...who knows.

Fancy a 1-1 or 2-2. Will be tight. Not sure we'll go there and blow them away and there is always the possibility we can't score but a score draw to me seems the likely outcome.
Is there a game you’ve tipped us to win yet? :grin:

Personally I think this is well set up for another Ipswich or Charlton. They aren’t going to sit back, they aren’t tremendously well organised, and if we do go ahead you can imagine things falling apart for them.

Of course, that relies on us doing the essential football double of taking our chances and restricting theirs, and I don’t think any of us would die of shock if we concede. But what we have seen is that we don’t crumble when we do. So it should be the right sort of interesting.

As for previous visits:- I was there when Rioch’s side suffered what I think was their only loss away to a top-flight side, I seem to recall Andy Sinton being their go-to guy (could be wrong). Only other visit was for Albi’s late equaliser, 3.5 long years ago. That was a rare outbreak of fun, which happens a lot more these days, and here’s to more of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:24 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:26 am

Is there a game you’ve tipped us to win yet? :grin:

Personally I think this is well set up for another Ipswich or Charlton. They aren’t going to sit back, they aren’t tremendously well organised, and if we do go ahead you can imagine things falling apart for them.

Of course, that relies on us doing the essential football double of taking our chances and restricting theirs, and I don’t think any of us would die of shock if we concede. But what we have seen is that we don’t crumble when we do. So it should be the right sort of interesting.

As for previous visits:- I was there when Rioch’s side suffered what I think was their only loss away to a top-flight side, I seem to recall Andy Sinton being their go-to guy (could be wrong). Only other visit was for Albi’s late equaliser, 3.5 long years ago. That was a rare outbreak of fun, which happens a lot more these days, and here’s to more of it.
A point away at Sheffield Wednesday would be a positive. I just don't think they are in Ipswich or Charlton category - they are better and in both those games we conceded first. We might not have the luxury of a glorious comeback away at what I'd say are a better team.

If we can avoid conceding first then I do think it changes our position considerably.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:53 am

Are they better, though? Right now? They've won one league game since August, just one in the last six league games. Their 5pt return in those games makes them the division's worst team in that time, the standard six-game form stretch - in which Ipswich are 8th and we're 6th, BTW.

In those six games they've only scored five goals - only Cheltenham have scored fewer – and they've wasted some of those by throwing away leads and therefore points to Ipswich (where we won 5-2) and at home to Shrewsbury (who we beat). Last weekend they lost at home to Oxford (who we beat from behind).

Obvz scoring first will help. It's just that if we do, I can see them panicking, the fans turning, them pouring forward and us hitting them on the break. We've shown we can do that far more easily than breaking down low blocks, which I'd be surprised if they employ tomorrow.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:53 am
Are they better, though? Right now? They've won one league game since August, just one in the last six league games. Their 5pt return in those games makes them the division's worst team in that time, the standard six-game form stretch - in which Ipswich are 8th and we're 6th, BTW.

In those six games they've only scored five goals - only Cheltenham have scored fewer – and they've wasted some of those by throwing away leads and therefore points to Ipswich (where we won 5-2) and at home to Shrewsbury (who we beat). Last weekend they lost at home to Oxford (who we beat from behind).

Obvz scoring first will help. It's just that if we do, I can see them panicking, the fans turning, them pouring forward and us hitting them on the break. We've shown we can do that far more easily than breaking down low blocks, which I'd be surprised if they employ tomorrow.
They did beat Wiggin away a couple of weeks ago, so clearly have something about them. Their squad is also very good for this level, even if it appears they have been slow into stride. It would surprise me if this wasn't a close one.

I would strongly suspect that Evatt will bring Isgrove back on the right, but otherwise keep the lineup unchanged from last Saturday. Baka and Sheehan as strong attacking options on the bench if the game isn't going our way.

The booking situation (I believe it's MJ, Santos and Jones on the cusp of suspensions) is a little concerning with our noisy neighbours up next week. Hopefully they can make it through the next two games and then perhaps go for the European style tactical booking vs Plymouth.

I'll go for a 2-1 Bolton win with Lee and Doyle getting our goals.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:29 pm

As for previous visits:- I was there when Rioch’s side suffered what I think was their only loss away to a top-flight side, I seem to recall Andy Sinton being their go-to guy (could be wrong).
It was his cross in extra time that won it. Mark Bright who headed it in iirc.

I think that was the match where my mates Mrs asked him "Why has that Sheffield Wednesday player got his first name and his last name on the back of his shirt?"

It was Bart Williams :roll: :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Been twice. First time was the five-down-by-half-time game, and the second time we won 2-1. Mark Davies and Bouffant Alonso for us, as I recall.

I have quite a good feeling about tomorrow and fancy us for a point at the very least.

EDIT: Found this

May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:25 pm

What on earth was their goalie screaming about after Mark Davies's goal?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:44 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:29 pm

As for previous visits:- I was there when Rioch’s side suffered what I think was their only loss away to a top-flight side, I seem to recall Andy Sinton being their go-to guy (could be wrong).
It was his cross in extra time that won it. Mark Bright who headed it in iirc.
Sounds right - far end, aye?

Their home league games have all had attendances between 21k & 25k. Unless the locals are losing faith, us taking 3k over might nudge them into the season’s biggest gate yet. Iles notes it’ll probably be the league’s biggest gate of the day, thanks to the international break (which also means they don’t have first choice GK Bailey Peacock Farrell). Nice big game, with the onus on the home side. But jealous of those who are going, TBH.

Rest of October will really tell us where we’re at. After this lot we have a three-game week - Wigan H, Plymouth A, Gillingham H. Latics are top, Argyle third and although Gills are 18th they might well be very knobbly opponents at the end of a hard week - quite possibly sitting deep in the way we’ve made plain causes us problems. Oh and the Saturday after we finish the month with another long trip to Pompey, who haven’t started brilliantly but have a decent gaffer and have just bagged up Sunderland’s arses 4-0 at Fratton.

By Halloween 🎃 we’ll have a decent read on how we might do. Might be fun.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:25 pm
His defence? 😁
Or the sky.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am

Do we ever do well when we have a big away following?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:25 pm
Twas ever thus, Tango. Old Shilton used to bollock his defenders because he'd dived the wrong way for a penalty. :D

Something I hadn't noticed until watching again just now, however, is, on the first goal the way SKD uses his frame and strength to hold off their defender - creating the space for Alonso to get the header in. I don't half miss that lad.
May the bridges I burn light your way