When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:57 pm

However frustrating yesterday was, we will still comfortably finish mid table which is absolutely fine for me this season. We need at least another 3 or 4 better quality players to get out of league 1. The football is the best that we have seen for many a year, we just don't have the quality to win the games that we feel that we should i.e. yesterday, Sunderland.

Saying that at some stage FV will have to back Evatt with the finance to get out of League 1, whether that's wages or the odd transfer fee. We won't get out of League 1 on the cheap. IE is an ambitious manager and he could possibly take us out of League 1 next season but he will need backing & although everyone loves SB & FV (and rightly so after Anderson) there is little sign to date that they will provide IE with enough cash to bring in the 3 or 4 better quality players needed for a proper promotion push next season.

To bring in better players than the likes of Doyle, Isgrove, Kachunga, Jones, Dixon etc. it will need better /more investment IMO.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Gethin and Issy and Kachunga and Doyle and Sheehan are players who for me you might question whether they are good enough for a promotion push.

Not Sarce. I feel he’s one of our best. We missed him hugely when he went off yesterday.
I like Sarce a lot and I agree we miss him when he's absent. Not sure he's a Championship player though. Very happy for him to be in the team, I wouldn't complain at all if he got a contract extension, but in the theoretical discussion about players who could either play in the next tier or drag us bodily toward it, I don't think he's at that level of quality. And quality - of touch, of thought - matters in a technical team like the one Evatt is building. If we are to play our way through packed areas, picking the best passes, then personally I think Sheehan has more headroom than Sarce. But it's an unprovable suggestion in an entirely theoretical conversation.

Doyler as this year's Miller – a late sub finding space against tired defences – has a ring to it, but it's a bit of a slight on him. Miller's only ever reached double figures once, and his three league goals for us last season came against three of the bottom four clubs. Despite his current problems, Doyler's better than that. Similarly, Kachunga's been good enough for a promotion push *from* the division above, let alone this one, so there's clearly a player there. It's just that we've got a few frontmen who aren't quite clicking or capable.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:57 pm
However frustrating yesterday was, we will still comfortably finish mid table which is absolutely fine for me this season. We need at least another 3 or 4 better quality players to get out of league 1. The football is the best that we have seen for many a year, we just don't have the quality to win the games that we feel that we should i.e. yesterday, Sunderland.

Saying that at some stage FV will have to back Evatt with the finance to get out of League 1, whether that's wages or the odd transfer fee. We won't get out of League 1 on the cheap. IE is an ambitious manager and he could possibly take us out of League 1 next season but he will need backing & although everyone loves SB & FV (and rightly so after Anderson) there is little sign to date that they will provide IE with enough cash to bring in the 3 or 4 better quality players needed for a proper promotion push next season.

To bring in better players than the likes of Doyle, Isgrove, Kachunga, Jones, Dixon etc. it will need better /more investment IMO.
The aim is to be sustainable. I think that means doing it organically rather than throwing money at it. Nobody is going to or able to throw money at us so it would be loans we’d need to pay back and we’ve seen how that works out. I’d far rather we ended up in league one for years than once again spent money we don’t have and cannot afford chasing promotion or whatever. We lost 3M in last accounts so it’s not like we are even breaking even yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Gethin and Issy and Kachunga and Doyle and Sheehan are players who for me you might question whether they are good enough for a promotion push.

Not Sarce. I feel he’s one of our best. We missed him hugely when he went off yesterday.
I like Sarce a lot and I agree we miss him when he's absent. Not sure he's a Championship player though. Very happy for him to be in the team, I wouldn't complain at all if he got a contract extension, but in the theoretical discussion about players who could either play in the next tier or drag us bodily toward it, I don't think he's at that level of quality. And quality - of touch, of thought - matters in a technical team like the one Evatt is building. If we are to play our way through packed areas, picking the best passes, then personally I think Sheehan has more headroom than Sarce. But it's an unprovable suggestion in an entirely theoretical conversation.

Doyler as this year's Miller – a late sub finding space against tired defences – has a ring to it, but it's a bit of a slight on him. Miller's only ever reached double figures once, and his three league goals for us last season came against three of the bottom four clubs. Despite his current problems, Doyler's better than that. Similarly, Kachunga's been good enough for a promotion push *from* the division above, let alone this one, so there's clearly a player there. It's just that we've got a few frontmen who aren't quite clicking or capable.
Well one thing being good enough to get a team up or be a contributor to that and another being good enough in the league above. I’d say Sarce can do the former and absolutely not the latter. But I think there are others probably not quite good enough to be in a team with serious promotion ambitions. Harsh as that sounds. And I don’t think we really are in the bracket of doing everything this year to go up. We are as it stands good enough to compete for those top six places.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Having watched the highlights I think people are being incredibly unfair on Kachunga! Yes in hindsight he should have gone himself, and yes the pass was slightly behind Doyle but as far as that bit goes I think the defender did really well albeit partly accidentally, he got between Doyle and the ball and I think Doyle therefore saw it late and couldn't react in time, it was only slightly behind him.

But more importantly...the entire chance only came because Kachunga worked his arse off to pressure the defender and the entire chance was created entirely by him. I think that's pretty compelling mitigation!

I've been really impressed by Gethin this year, I think he's been one of our star players.

My pet theory, is that as you go up the leagues your weaknesses become more important than your strengths, and so you're looking for more all round players. I wouldn't be surprised if the fastest/best striker of a ball/best in the air etc in English football were outside the Prem, but individual attributes aren't enough to get you that far.

Zidane once said Raul was the best player he ever played with because although he wasn't 10/10 for anything, he was 9/10 at everything.

I think Gethin is more than capable of playing in a team promoted from this league, I'm far more worried about the other side! Though hopefully John is still regaining fitness.

Another pet theory of mine though is that it's not enough to go up to have a team who are all individually good enough to play in a side going up. You need some who are too good to stay down, and I don't think we have enough of those yet, but we're not far away. My prediction is we'll be top half ish around Christmas, and then if Amaechi can add something, and we recruit well again, we've a chance at the play offs.

I don't think we need to throw money at it either, another summer of progress like this one and we'll be much better again.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:58 pm

I hear you on "absence of weakness" as opposed to "outstanding strength", but while Gethin is a wonderful man I worry his end product isn't good enough for a side chasing third-tier promotion (especially one as reliant on full-backs as Evatt's). Again: Not hounding him out of the club, happy if he extends, but if we're talking about the next leap I'm not sure he's that. Happy if he improves and disproves.

That's another interesting theory, that you need players "better" than your league. Guess last season that was John and Dapo (plus arguably Doyle). Problem with that is that I don't expect us to go up this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:07 pm

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:58 pm
I hear you on "absence of weakness" as opposed to "outstanding strength", but while Gethin is a wonderful man I worry his end product isn't good enough for a side chasing third-tier promotion (especially one as reliant on full-backs as Evatt's). Again: Not hounding him out of the club, happy if he extends, but if we're talking about the next leap I'm not sure he's that. Happy if he improves and disproves.

That's another interesting theory, that you need players "better" than your league. Guess last season that was John and Dapo (plus arguably Doyle). Problem with that is that I don't expect us to go up this season.
Jones is good enough in a side not reliant on full back delivery. But we use them as our width and I think in our side we need to rely on the fullbacks.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:58 pm

Last year I'd say Santos, John, MJ, Sarc, Lee, Dapo and Doyle were too good for League 2. I think that was probably the best team to get promoted from League 2 in a very long time. Over half a season we were on track for over 100 points and half of it was thrown together for the first time in Jan.

I don't disagree on your final sentence. I think we could go up but I'm not expecting it. I think we need another couple of windows.

I don't think Gethin delivery is as bad is often made out. It's his "weakness" but I think that's partly because a lot of the time he doesn't have a lot to hit. I think it would be an issue in the league above but the rest of his game is so so good. He's surprised me. If he had the delivery of say John I think he'd be a top half Champo player. As it is I think he's good enough to get us up. Brocky worries me though so I'd be more than happy to see another come in to challenge him.

I mean, I think it's less of a "weakness" (in my, outweighs your strengths and so you'd get found out higher up) then Sarc's first touch, John's defending, MJ's pace, Lee's injury record, Sheehan's physicality, Doyle's physicality and technique, and Isgrove's ability on the ball.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Last year I'd say Santos, John, MJ, Sarc, Lee, Dapo and Doyle were too good for League 2.
Just for clarity - I agree with your list there but by “too good for” In this case I actually meant “too good for the club if it stays down”. I didn’t think any of the others would leave if we stayed down, but I didn’t think we’d get Dapo and Dec back. I have a slight fear Dapo might go but only if he continues to rip the league up, so it’s pluses and minuses. As BWFCi has noted, if he goes while under contract he could fund some significant squad strengthening.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:31 pm

On the 7th August after our game against MK Dons I posted the following. Sadly, two months and nearly a quater of a season later I haven't seen anything which has led me to alter my opinion'
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 pm

I know it's only one game but Doyle gave me a little cause for concern today. Brushed aside far too easily and can look forward to having a half a second less this season with opportunities that come his way. A couple of times today we saw him snatch at chances.
That said, all the strength up top was either behind him in Sarcevic, or much further out in both Dapo and Bakayoko, none of which was to Doyle's benefit.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm

I usually get annoyed with the 'on another day we'd have scored X goals' comments, but on recent other days we did score 5 at Ipswich and 4 at Charlton, so he can back it up.
If we keep pulling results like that out of the bag, I can accept the odd defeat like this.
It's Wigan at home that I'd really struggle with 😬

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:18 pm

Doyle has not been looking a threat of late, that’s beyond doubt. He is the type who could now hit a hot streak and shut us all up, but right now he’s a problem for us.

The issue is we don’t have many obvious alternatives. Baka, though he has many good attributes, I think doesn’t fit our style well as a central forward. As someone else suggested earlier, maybe we need to go down the ‘false 9’ route, with Dapo probably most likely for that role.

I also echo DSB’s thoughts on Jones, and think that his deficiencies with delivery into the box are amplified when Isgrove starts in front of him, who also can’t cross for shit. We need to sort that right hand side out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm
I usually get annoyed with the 'on another day we'd have scored X goals' comments, but on recent other days we did score 5 at Ipswich and 4 at Charlton, so he can back it up.
If we keep pulling results like that out of the bag, I can accept the odd defeat like this.
Like I said pre game SW are a better side than Ipswich or Charlton. You could replay that SW game 10 times and I don’t think we’d bag 5 goals in any of them and I think suggesting we would have done on Saturday is probably misrepresenting the game. Yes we had possession. Their keeper only had one save to make. We didn’t miss loads of chances.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Like I said pre game SW are a better side than Ipswich or Charlton. You could replay that SW game 10 times and I don’t think we’d bag 5 goals in any of them and I think suggesting we would have done on Saturday is probably misrepresenting the game. Yes we had possession. Their keeper only had one save to make. We didn’t miss loads of chances.
It may be misrepresenting the game based upon how this Saturday's game played out, not necessarily how other games would've played out. Reality of the situation however is that the game takes a completely different complexion if we score early on (Kachunga/Doyle for instance). As you noted, SW are a better side than Ipswich and at their place I would be expecting them to come at us should they be 1-0 down. Given we're better attacking when there is space for us to attack then it may have ended up us having scored more with them exposed.

When we don't score and face a low block or aren't as effective as we need to be, then we end up with Saturday's result. I don't think either side warranted the win on Saturday, but SW got it. We either score and make the game easier for ourselves or struggle and get frustrated.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:17 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 am
LeverEnd wrote:
It may be misrepresenting the game based upon how this Saturday's game played out, not necessarily how other games would've played out. Reality of the situation however is that the game takes a completely different complexion if we score early on (Kachunga/Doyle for instance). As you noted, SW are a better side than Ipswich and at their place I would be expecting them to come at us should they be 1-0 down. Given we're better attacking when there is space for us to attack then it may have ended up us having scored more with them exposed.

When we don't score and face a low block or aren't as effective as we need to be, then we end up with Saturday's result. I don't think either side warranted the win on Saturday, but SW got it. We either score and make the game easier for ourselves or struggle and get frustrated.
Its now like SW sat back. Not until they scored at least. The point I'm making is that possession is irrelevant - SW did more with their 39% than we did with our 61%. It was not a game where we created chance after chance and on another day we'd have scored 4 or 5. It was a day where apart from the first couple of minutes I don't even think I could say 'yep really should have scored there'. And Wednesday forced Dixon into one good save and scored with another.

We had one on target.

And yes we played well and got some good positions but I've watched Bolton down the years have less possession than many a side who look good but don't really look like scoring. And I come away happy and feeling we did the graft to earn the win.

Saturday was a game of few chances - one team dominated the ball but didn't create nearly close to the openings said dominance would necessitate. And when that happens in football you are usually punished.

I agree that goals change games but if we are on the edge of 'if we score that we win if we don't we won't,' then there will be many more like SW. Our failing is that we don't have enough ways to score a goal right now yet find quite a few ways to concede one even when we look comfortable. For all the good stuff our weakness is the two boxes. Efficiency tends to win the day in football.

Not that I'm critical - we're a good side. But its in the paper today with Lee saying this keeps happening and you can only pretend 'its just one of those things' for so long. We're a side that probably as a few have noted lack in a few areas to really turn our dominance into results. That's to be expected though!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm

The higher up the Division, the faster the pace of the game. Its not so much a matter if the player is good enough. All our players are good. They are playing for a top team in L1 so they are good players. Its whether they can handle the pace of the game at the higher level. Quicker football brain, Less time on the ball to think, Less space to manipulate etc.. Control of the ball with their first touch.. playing and making the right decisions quickly under pressure. If we get promoted, then its about getting 5 players in important positions who can do this...a CF, a full back, Winger, An Attacking Midfielder and a CH. We have players who can play with them... Dixon, MJ, Santos, Johnston, Jones, John, Sarce, Dapo, Baka, Isgrove, Kachunga. Sheehan and dare I say Doyle .. could all play at the higher level in support of the spine. The new 5 can help to improve them as playing with better players tend to do. They will give you the ball exactly how you want it, where you want it and when you need to get it. I don't think the players named would be out of place at all. Its about introducing some better players to play with them.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am

Getting a bit bored of opposition managers saying nice things after matches

Easy on the eye, not very physical, not put our chances away, don't get around the ref, concede soft goals.. I bet they love us! We need to find that passion for the shittier side of the game that other teams have.

We also need to start dropping players who are costing us points.

I'm not being negative as such, as I'm mostly pleased with how things are going, but we could and probably should, have more points on the board than what we have and it's mostly things we can do something about
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:53 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am

Easy on the eye, not very physical, not put our chances away, don't get around the ref, concede soft goals.. I bet they love us! We need to find that passion for the shittier side of the game that other teams have.

I'm not being negative as such, as I'm mostly pleased with how things are going, but we could and probably should, have more points on the board than what we have and it's mostly things we can do something about
Yeah we're a little at danger of falling into the 'Wenger trap' of believing our own hype at times. We play nice stuff but for all of that nice stuff and whatever we rarely really threatened Sheffield Wednesday. I think you can fall into the trap of being a bit deluded by your possession and effort and movement. Yet it didn't amount to a lot.

I'm not sure Evatt is going to make us physical or whatever but the concession of soft goals has to be a bigger concern than most things. The goal SW scored against us is unacceptable at any level. Yet we let a goal in like that every game. We have to be tougher in mentality than we are and more ruthless in how we play. Possession yet we don't tire teams out. If a team can create as much as we do with close to half the ball then we need to ask why that is.

I'm very positive with how we are but against better teams the games will be scraps and close. And come down to fine margins. And every fine margins style of game seems to end with us on the wrong side of it. Set pieces - need to improve. We need to get shots away quicker and stop trying to make them perfect. Get crosses in earlier. We play nice stuff but usually defenders end up in organised positions because we take too long in the build up.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:53 am
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am

Yeah we're a little at danger of falling into the 'Wenger trap' of believing our own hype at times. We play nice stuff but for all of that nice stuff and whatever we rarely really threatened Sheffield Wednesday. I think you can fall into the trap of being a bit deluded by your possession and effort and movement. Yet it didn't amount to a lot.

I'm not sure Evatt is going to make us physical or whatever but the concession of soft goals has to be a bigger concern than most things. The goal SW scored against us is unacceptable at any level. Yet we let a goal in like that every game. We have to be tougher in mentality than we are and more ruthless in how we play. Possession yet we don't tire teams out. If a team can create as much as we do with close to half the ball then we need to ask why that is.

I'm very positive with how we are but against better teams the games will be scraps and close. And come down to fine margins. And every fine margins style of game seems to end with us on the wrong side of it. Set pieces - need to improve. We need to get shots away quicker and stop trying to make them perfect. Get crosses in earlier. We play nice stuff but usually defenders end up in organised positions because we take too long in the build up.
Agree here. This is why we don't create clearcut chances and why we've had the most blocked shots (according to BN article). There were signs in some games that we were mixing it up a bit more than last season, but far too often it is the case.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 pm

I have to say that I completely agree with Ian Evatt's comments and I am very surprised to see comments here saying we should settle and be happy with midtable. We are well and truly blowing teams out of the water and I haven't seen a better team so far this season. With the chances we are creating and the way we are playing we should be in the mix for promotion.

As I have bragged several times on here before, I put £200 on us getting promoted last season when we were 20th in the Division at odds of 20/1. We are currently 8/1 and in a much better position. I really fancy us to get promotion and I would be disappointed if we didn't. Deep down I think Sharon and the Board would be, too.