When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:01 pm
No surprise the ref hasn't given a pen at the death. Good performance in terms of effort but no shots means no goals.

Missed opportunity. Wednesday blocked well and managed to take their chances.

Take the early opportunity and that match takes an entirely difference look and feel. Should've won that one. Another match where i'm sure we're coming away without the points.
Bako on instead of Doyle from the start maybe we score and take something from the game.

I don't want to slate him but his performances this season in respects to his goal return is worrying. We might as well chuck Lloyd Isgrove up top if all we are getting is running.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:06 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:56 pm
Think Evatt needs to learn quickly that if we're not going to test the keeper we're rarely going to win games.

Running round with all the energy is pointless if you aren't testing the keeper.
balls.jpeg
balls.jpeg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
I'll say it again, for clarity. I have watched far worse Wanderers teams play far more inhibited, timid, awful, negative football; and I'm therefore grateful for our current situation, manager, ethos, team, squad, etc.

Still a kick in the balls though. I was hoping we were over it after the Charlton and (early) Shrewsbury shows, but that's six blanks fired in the last nine proper games. It's also, unsurprisingly, our joint-lowest efforts-on-target game since the Orient horror show. Hmm.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:09 pm

The front three and full backs simply don’t produce enough for the amount of possession we give them. And today when we changed the three we looked worse. Pretty but lack bite. Dapo was poor today. Not helped by the ref but still. Kachunga stealing a living for me. Early chance will be looked back on but in truth we had so many positions but never looked like converting them.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:09 pm

61% possession / 1 shot on target, its isn't rocket science is it - I know its not just down to our No9 but that's why we will finish mid table we can't keep wasting so many chances very similar to Sunderland, 2nd half I personally thought we lacked urgency & tempo which isn't like us.

Doyle is absolutely shocking at the moment, very poor - he looks lost and completely lacking in confidence and we don't really have anyone to replace him as an out an out CF.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Gutted. I was sure we'd win that... :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Good performance but if we dont take our chances, it wont be enough. Unfortunately, we seemed weaker, played at a slower tempo without Sarc, and less of a threat after the changes. Baka needs to learn how to make on-side runs, Isgrove and Sheehan took 15 mins to get into the game.

We played well enough overall to win the game. Doyle had a few good looks and didn't take them. They took the one they got. Such is football.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:22 pm

Personally I'm not that worried about our shots on target, we've created 3-4 great chances for a striker and put 3-4 balls right across the face of goal that's enough to beat most teams. Doyle just isn't good enough, his movement is terrible, it was last season too, it's almost like he's trying to hide behind the defender instead of getting in front. Lost count how many times I've seen us put the ball across goal without anyone finishing it, it's at least 3 a game this season and we almost never score from it. The opposition manage it about once per game but their conversion rate is massive because it's a very very easy chance to score. Easy to say after the fact but it's not surprising to me that that's happened again today.

It's so exceptionally irritating to outplay the opposition for 90 mins and lose. We need to put Baka upfront or Delf because Doyle has become the new Gilks, he's costing us too many points now.
Last edited by Spartan2 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:11 pm
Gutted. I was sure we'd win that... :(
TD we should have done & would have done if we would have had a CF who had an ounce of composure in front of goal, unfortunately though we don't have any of those, swap Doyle for their No9 and we would have won today.

I feel sorry for the fans who travelled, as usual great support. Kachunga, Sarcevic & Doyle poor today IMO.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:13 pm
Good performance but if we dont take our chances, it wont be enough. Unfortunately, we seemed weaker, played at a slower tempo without Sarc, and less of a threat after the changes. Baka needs to learn how to make on-side runs, Isgrove and Sheehan took 15 mins to get into the game.

We played well enough overall to win the game. Doyle had a few good looks and didn't take them. They took the one they got. Such is football.
Too many changes, bit too much disruption from the sounds of it. Don't think the substitutions were bad ones but its just meant that we didn't really focus on what that new player could offer so we seemed a bit disjointed. Baka didn't seem to be up to scratch either but I suspect that's down to lack of opportunities as opposed to anything he did on the pitch.

As for Eoin Doyle. Lets hope he's going to come good.

Last season He was 4 games in until he started scoring. 2 goals in the opening 10 games. It wasn't until mid November until he really hit his stride, and likewise Bolton. The difference is for this season, the rest of the squad seem to be in stride but Doyle is playing catchup in terms of his expected output.

That's not to say he's playing badly, just to say he's not having the expected goals output we've come to expect.

We're 12 games in now and he's got 3 goals (2 of those being penalties). No goals in a disrupted pre-season.
Last season, it was 3 goals in 12 games also. 3 goals in a standard pre-season (1 being a pen), so he's hardly started prolific. So expectation shouldn't really change too much there. Difference is we were looking terrible at this stage last season, whereas this season we've done much better.

Plenty of time for him to come good.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am
Do we ever do well when we have a big away following?

Inevitable, really.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:51 pm

Well that was frustrating. Too many players making wrong choices and once again, we've barely worked their keeper. Wednesday are possibly the poorest team we've faced so far. That's a missed opportunity with 2 very tough games coming up.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:15 pm

Doyle is still our best option up front. Its all good wanting him to be replaced by Baka, Delf, Kacha etc..but none of them are as good as he is at Centre Forward.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:28 pm

We have scored loads in games this season.

Doyle has got 3. 1 from open play.

If other players have off days our striker isn't going to pull us out the shit. This is a worry.

Like had been said, he starts slowly however he's got to start scoring soon as the pressure will just continue to rise.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:43 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:15 pm
Doyle is still our best option up front. Its all good wanting him to be replaced by Baka, Delf, Kacha etc..but none of them are as good as he is at Centre Forward.
This is true.

I've been as critical as anyone over our frequent inability to turn possession and chances into goals, but I've been careful not to blame any one player particularly. Partly because I don't like calling out single players, partly because it's everyone's responsibility (to a greater or lesser extent), partly because it's a team game, and partly because I think Doyler is a good player. He's evidently struggling by his standards – a reminder that he has scored, frequently, in this division before, including in teams struggling much more than we are.

Maybe it's the pre-season Covid affecting him more, as a 33-year-old, than it might affect a younger player. Perhaps that lack of sharpness is also playing on his mind and causing split-second doubts that lead to the wrong decision either way - snatching or dallying, first-time or taking a touch, passing or shooting.

I also note plenty of plaudits given for his selfless front-running, his intelligent movement, his occupation of defenders. Trouble is, if he's dragging them out, who's getting into the box? It's worth repeating that last season's second-top scorer only got 7 league goals. I'm not one to drift into unprovable alternate worlds but without Doyler's 19 we probably wouldn't be in this division.

Evatt is a loyal and determined man but he's not daft. I'm sure he'll have noticed the problem and I'm fairly sure he would have rested/rotated Doyler for Baka or Kacha or Delf weeks ago had any of those three been both fit and firing. They're all available, but are they up to it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:31 pm

The predictable it’s all Doyle’s fault brigade out in force as usual but bar the very very early one I’m not sure what clear chances he missed. Clearly not high on confidence but it was noticeable that when he went off and Baka went up front we had no movement and looked a worse team. In fact all three changes were to our detriment. Though Kachunga was particularly poor at times and oddly very good at others.

The problem for me is that for all the high intensity nice football we played it’s not resulting in a great deal of clear chances and the final ball or final decision is often not good. Heavily reliant on Dapo to do something in last 18 yards because other than him we get to the box then look a bit lost.

We dominated the game but we’ve seen that before.

There were for me the front three and two full backs who failed in very good positions and it’s a running theme. It’s not just or even mainly down to the striker. And the replacement made us look worse and more static.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:31 pm

There were for me the front three and two full backs who failed in very good positions and it’s a running theme. It’s not just or even mainly down to the striker. And the replacement made us look worse and more static.
Bob on.

Doyle missed 2 chances. The one in the first few minutes was at the far end and looked to me that it was a poor ball from Kachunga. He also had a close range effort blocked at the start of the 2nd half.

However, it was his running and lay offs that time and again played in Dapo and the full backs into dangerous positions. The fact we didn't take advantage was then down to poor decisions throughout the side.

I'm not sure whether poor Baka touched it when he came on. There were 3 or 4 crosses that sailed over and beyond him.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Bob on.

Doyle missed 2 chances. The one in the first few minutes was at the far end and looked to me that it was a poor ball from Kachunga. He also had a close range effort blocked at the start of the 2nd half.

However, it was his running and lay offs that time and again played in Dapo and the full backs into dangerous positions. The fact we didn't take advantage was then down to poor decisions throughout the side.

I'm not sure whether poor Baka touched it when he came on. There were 3 or 4 crosses that sailed over and beyond him.
Not seen the first half one but did look poor. Second half one id not even call it a miss. A snapshot was saved or blocked. But yeah there were times in the box he might have been more decisive but same for Lee or Dapo or Kachunga.

I’m not arguing that a top number 9 wouldn’t be a plus but the problem is we look better up to edge of box than we do in both boxes and we’ve seen lots of teams like this. Evatt on about missing chance after chance but I don’t see that. We made a mess of the final ball time and time again. Or flattered to deceive at times. But we’ve seen other teams in history play like us yet in both boxes at times let themselves down. We did that today and Sunderland.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 pm

I think we have a number of players in our starting eleven who are currently operating at the apex of their range, if you will. That's most evident when the opposition, usually leading, cede possession and challenge us to break them down. Last season, one league lower, we were just good enough to do it. This season, having stepped up, it's proving more difficult.

Evatt's footballing principles are to be admired but I think in those circumstances, playing such a posession-dominant style, trying to drag the opposition out of position and into making a mistake, demands a very talented - relative to the standard of the league - front three or four and we don't yet have that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:47 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 pm
I think we have a number of players in our starting eleven who are currently operating at the apex of their range, if you will. That's most evident when the opposition, usually leading, cede possession and challenge us to break them down. Last season, one league lower, we were just good enough to do it. This season, having stepped up, it's proving more difficult.

Evatt's footballing principles are to be admired but I think in those circumstances, playing such a posession-dominant style, trying to drag the opposition out of position and into making a mistake, demands a very talented - relative to the standard of the league - front three or four and we don't yet have that.
This is spot on. We need to find more simple ways of creating a chance. You see that as teams work put that numbers behind the ball leaves us struggling and even pre goal SW realised that a high press hurt them more than us. We need to be better at crossing and commit players in there. I think the problem is we only can score in one of two ways. Either Dapo cuts in. Or we get a full back on the overlap and he pulls it back. That’s it our two real moves. Set pieces, no. Don’t have midfield players who score regularly from edge of box. Don’t really get crosses in. We are very good. We are also quite predictable. Teams say let them have the outside.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Evatt had a right old paddy when it was suggested we were light up front but Christ it's obvious now. I said pre season that I thought Doyle would struggle and he has. We're as high as we are because of Dapo's brilliance.
I'd love to see Doyle shine but he's isn't going to. He needs to become the Shaun Miller to a better striker if we're to stay top half.
Strikers who aren't scoring can get away with it if they offer great running and physical presence. He offers one of those and does his best but if we're to keep improving this has to be the first hard decision of the promotion team.
I'll never slag him.off and always remember him fondly for his contribution last season.
I'd try Baka with Doyle coming in for a few games, but Kachunga is not the answer to anything and Delf is just seeing out his contract realistically.