When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When Saturday comes, it's Wednesday. V.The Owls Sat,09/10/21.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:40 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Evatt had a right old paddy when it was suggested we were light up front but Christ it's obvious now. I said pre season that I thought Doyle would struggle and he has. We're as high as we are because of Dapo's brilliance.
I'd love to see Doyle shine but he's isn't going to. He needs to become the Shaun Miller to a better striker if we're to stay top half.
Strikers who aren't scoring can get away with it if they offer great running and physical presence. He offers one of those and does his best but if we're to keep improving this has to be the first hard decision of the promotion team.
I'll never slag him.off and always remember him fondly for his contribution last season.
I'd try Baka with Doyle coming in for a few games, but Kachunga is not the answer to anything and Delf is just seeing out his contract realistically.
It’s just not right to blame Doyle as though that’s the big issue. I mean the whole attacking unit today and full backs had so much ball and barely did a thing with it. The three who came on looked worse. Baka offered nowt at all up front. Honestly you could have Ronaldo up top and the end product still would be an issue at times. The final ball was not near good enough today. And you can blame Doyle but also Dapo, Kachunga, Lee, Sarce and the three who came on plus Jones and John. All had so much of the ball but couldn’t find the killer ball or shot.

I could understand it if Bakayoko transformed us but he barely touched the ball and without Doyle’s movement we looked considerably less likely.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:16 pm

We were discussing Doyle so I commented on him. I also mentioned Kachunga and Delf. Doyle is the spearhead and I'm saying we need a better one. I'm very careful not to blame or be overly critical because I like the guy and hope he proves me wrong and comes good.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:40 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Evatt had a right old paddy when it was suggested we were light up front but Christ it's obvious now. I said pre season that I thought Doyle would struggle and he has. We're as high as we are because of Dapo's brilliance.
I'd love to see Doyle shine but he's isn't going to. He needs to become the Shaun Miller to a better striker if we're to stay top half.
Strikers who aren't scoring can get away with it if they offer great running and physical presence. He offers one of those and does his best but if we're to keep improving this has to be the first hard decision of the promotion team.
I'll never slag him.off and always remember him fondly for his contribution last season.
I'd try Baka with Doyle coming in for a few games, but Kachunga is not the answer to anything and Delf is just seeing out his contract realistically.
It’s just not right to blame Doyle as though that’s the big issue. I mean the whole attacking unit today and full backs had so much ball and barely did a thing with it. The three who came on looked worse. Baka offered nowt at all up front. Honestly you could have Ronaldo up top and the end product still would be an issue at times. The final ball was not near good enough today. And you can blame Doyle but also Dapo, Kachunga, Lee, Sarce and the three who came on plus Jones and John. All had so much of the ball but couldn’t find the killer ball or shot.

I could understand it if Bakayoko transformed us but he barely touched the ball and without Doyle’s movement we looked considerably less likely.
The highlight reel is going to show Doyle missing a few though. No matter how much diverting to other players you do it still remains a fact he has scored 1 in 12 from open play.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:17 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:11 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:08 pm
FFS Doyle. Break your leg if you need to.

Piss poor shot that.

edit:

Bit extreme. Don't go breaking your legs for a goal.
Haha. Sounds like one of those things you scream pitch side only to realise after the fact.
My favourite being "Reevesy, first touch yer dick!" :D
I was losing my mind at Elmander for letting the chance go against Wolves (it was at the far end tbf)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:12 pm

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:30 pm
hmm.jpeg

:(
Are you doing graphs for the Lib Dems :D ??

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:15 pm

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:51 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Yeah, miles more interesting than just having a 'Derek' playing.
That's me dad's name - and on topic, when I was knee-high to a turnstile he convinced me his (non-existent) middle name was Aloysius :mrgreen:
Or, Dap, for short!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

I didn't see today so this is a general comment but I think this is bob wrong. Not Ronaldo obviously, but the league 1 equivalent would score a hatful for us. It's not really Doyle's fault, I like him, but it's the most important position on the pitch and where we are at the moment you need someone who can turn the half chances into chances. That isn't, and never had been Eoin, he's "just" very good at taking the actual chances that come, albeit having a bad spell.

It's just where we are I think. We have a good manager with a good plan and it's in progress. We're a couple of transfer windows away, but I still expect us to finish top half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:39 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

The highlight reel is going to show Doyle missing a few though. No matter how much diverting to other players you do it still remains a fact he has scored 1 in 12 from open play.
Doyle had one great chance he should have scored from. Right at the start. He then had a snapshot saved early second half which was I think our only effort on target.

This is not Dean Holdsworth at Barnsley conspiring to miss 3 one on ones or whatever. He should have scored the early chance. No question he’s low on confidence and form in front of goal.

But he’s far from the major reason we had 61% of the ball and only managed one on target. This isn’t a situation where a change of striker fixes everything. We saw that when big Baka came on and got absolutely nowt out of their centre halves. The team struggles to convert possession into chances. Today the clearest illustration of that. Doyle is a part of that problem but to suggest the only one or whatever is wide of the mark.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

I didn't see today so this is a general comment but I think this is bob wrong. Not Ronaldo obviously, but the league 1 equivalent would score a hatful for us. It's not really Doyle's fault, I like him, but it's the most important position on the pitch and where we are at the moment you need someone who can turn the half chances into chances. That isn't, and never had been Eoin, he's "just" very good at taking the actual chances that come, albeit having a bad spell.

It's just where we are I think. We have a good manager with a good plan and it's in progress. We're a couple of transfer windows away, but I still expect us to finish top half.
Oh don’t disagree a striker who can drop a shoulder and turn half a chance into a shooting opportunity would be huge in this team. And it’s not Doyle’s thing. He needs chances in the box and really we probably don’t create enough of the early ball he thrives on. An eidur type would be amazing up top in this side. Someone who can beat a man or just create a chance from our possession. Absolutely that’s what we need.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:36 am

Watching highlights and I’m not even sure Doyle can take blame for early chance. What a mess from Kachunga who should have just buried it.

Santos poor for their goal.

I think we are in danger of being a nearly team. Not that it’s a bad thing considering we were in league two in danger of dropping out the leagues haven’t spent anything. We are a cracking side but probably just lacking that real quality in and around the box.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:45 am

A massively frustrating afternoon. I don’t think any one individual was to blame, rather, all of our forward players were guilty of poor decision making and poor execution in the final third.

Bar Amaechi, Evatt now has his full contingent of attacking players available, so for me he needs to draw some inspiration from his idol Pep and get a bit more creative with selections. My suggestions would be trying John higher up the pitch and switching Dapo to the right, or playing Sheehan wide right.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:45 am
A massively frustrating afternoon. I don’t think any one individual was to blame, rather, all of our forward players were guilty of poor decision making and poor execution in the final third.

Bar Amaechi, Evatt now has his full contingent of attacking players available, so for me he needs to draw some inspiration from his idol Pep and get a bit more creative with selections. My suggestions would be trying John higher up the pitch and switching Dapo to the right, or playing Sheehan wide right.
Full backs guilty yesterday too. Lots of ball didn’t make telling crosses or passes. Not sure I’d move Dapo. Sheehan looked poor when he came on and didn’t have impact on game Sarce had.

We do though need to have an alternative plan because yesterday it was clear that we had lots of possession but created very little. Evatt went on about a string of chances which wasn’t my view and having watched the highlights I feel my view is backed up. We had so much ball but didn’t create enough. We need a few more to shoot on sight because that could lead to stuff. Apart from Dapo and Doyle rest seem scared at times to shoot.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:52 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:12 pm
Are you doing graphs for the Lib Dems :D ??
Ha! I was focusing on our end of the unequal equation but here's the full iniquity of the inequity:
stats.jpeg
stats.jpeg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
:D :shock: :(

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:36 am
Watching highlights and I’m not even sure Doyle can take blame for early chance. What a mess from Kachunga who should have just buried it.
Doyle's biggest error yesterday was his ball to Lee(?) in the 2nd half when it was 3 on 2 and he under hit it. That though, was just one of many good openings that as a team we failed to turn into an attempt on goal.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Doyle's biggest error yesterday was his ball to Lee(?) in the 2nd half when it was 3 on 2 and he under hit it. That though, was just one of many good openings that as a team we failed to turn into an attempt on goal.
Aye was that the one where Sarcevic was clean through but Doylar went the wrong way? That was a bad one but he wasn’t alone in those moments.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:12 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Aye was that the one where Sarcevic was clean through but Doylar went the wrong way? That was a bad one but he wasn’t alone in those moments.
Yeah that's the one. Exactly that, he wasn't alone. I think the one that frustrated me the most was the John opportunity in the 2nd half. Shoot or play in Sheehan, he elected to do neither and belted in a 'cross-shot'.

Any road, I'm over the negative, frustrated feelings now. We've dominated another side, we've improved no end since last year and we have a manager who i think knows what's wrong and how to fix it with a few transfer windows.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yeah that's the one. Exactly that, he wasn't alone. I think the one that frustrated me the most was the John opportunity in the 2nd half. Shoot or play in Sheehan, he elected to do neither and belted in a 'cross-shot'.

Any road, I'm over the negative, frustrated feelings now. We've dominated another side, we've improved no end since last year and we have a manager who i think knows what's wrong and how to fix it with a few transfer windows.
Exactly. We are moving in the right direction and IE will know how to take us on another level. A few of these players probably aren’t quite at that level. And we might need to sell a prospect to build elsewhere. But we will. And in the meantime who knows? We will be up there. Nothing to complain about in my book.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:04 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 pm
I think we have a number of players in our starting eleven who are currently operating at the apex of their range, if you will. That's most evident when the opposition, usually leading, cede possession and challenge us to break them down. Last season, one league lower, we were just good enough to do it. This season, having stepped up, it's proving more difficult.

Evatt's footballing principles are to be admired but I think in those circumstances, playing such a posession-dominant style, trying to drag the opposition out of position and into making a mistake, demands a very talented - relative to the standard of the league - front three or four and we don't yet have that.
This is a fascinating theory.

Certainly, for all their good aspects (and they are many), you can imagine third-tier champions might be looking for better players than, for example, Izzy, Gethin and Sarce. I like them all, they work their sacks off and are proper team men. But I can't really imagine them in the division above.

That said, I wonder how many Bournemouth fans might have said the same about some of the lads that climbed the divisions with them. Players like Harry Arter, Marc Pugh, Steve Cook, Simon Francis, Charlie Daniels and Ryan Fraser – possibly others - joined in the third tier and played in all of the top three divisions for the Cherries. So were they massively overtalented for the third, or did they grow with the club and manager? I wonder if any fans doubted their ability to adapt after promotion from the third?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:04 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 pm
I think we have a number of players in our starting eleven who are currently operating at the apex of their range, if you will. That's most evident when the opposition, usually leading, cede possession and challenge us to break them down. Last season, one league lower, we were just good enough to do it. This season, having stepped up, it's proving more difficult.

Evatt's footballing principles are to be admired but I think in those circumstances, playing such a posession-dominant style, trying to drag the opposition out of position and into making a mistake, demands a very talented - relative to the standard of the league - front three or four and we don't yet have that.
This is a fascinating theory.

Certainly, for all their good aspects (and they are many), you can imagine third-tier champions might be looking for better players than, for example, Izzy, Gethin and Sarce. I like them all, they work their sacks off and are proper team men. But I can't really imagine them in the division above.

That said, I wonder how many Bournemouth fans might have said the same about some of the lads that climbed the divisions with them. Players like Harry Arter, Marc Pugh, Steve Cook, Simon Francis, Charlie Daniels and Ryan Fraser – possibly others - joined in the third tier and played in all of the top three divisions for the Cherries. So were they massively overtalented for the third, or did they grow with the club and manager? I wonder if any fans doubted their ability to adapt after promotion from the third?
Gethin and Issy and Kachunga and Doyle and Sheehan are players who for me you might question whether they are good enough for a promotion push.

Not Sarce. I feel he’s one of our best. We missed him hugely when he went off yesterday.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well put HG :oyea: