Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:48 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 pm
Pinning this on Harry is unacceptable. He's been asked to do a job today against a side jacked up on Evatt juice.
Not sure anyone is pinning it on Harry per se. And if Gethin’s out a while Wvatt will have to rebuild Brocky’s confidence - we go again on Tuesday against another good team. I can understand why some might pick Baptiste but I doubt Evatt will.

Unless he picks him in a back three, with Izzy as wingback, and a friend up top helping Doyler… not sure I’d switch back but Evatt might - he’d have the excuse of playing against a back-three side, with an injury situation in mitigation, and away from most fans..,
Apparently deleted his social media accounts.
Our fans are cretinous at times. It's a fecking game.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 pm

I don't think Brockbank is getting pelters particularly, but he was the weakest of links and the worst player on the pitch. That's a fact and
it isn't unfair to state it. He was always likely to have a tough day so playing a striker in front of him instead of a hard working right sided midfielder was suicidal and fantasy football.
He can't play agaIn, it'd be like crellin revisited and would seriously sent my faith in Evatt. Baptiste should start.
This may sound like an emotional overreaction, but I'd rather have Comley there. He couldn't be any worse.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 pm

Just seen the social media post DJ. Horrible if true. We do have cretinous fans, of that there's no doubt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:14 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Pinning this on Harry is unacceptable. He's been asked to do a job today against a side jacked up on Evatt juice.
Not sure anyone is pinning it on Harry per se.
Apparently deleted his social media accounts.
Our fans are cretinous at times. It's a fecking game.
Ah, I meant on here. I very rarely wade into the wider waters of social media. All human life is there, and I don’t want to see all human life. I have too many books to read to waste my time on wastes of organs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:16 pm

Evatt has to take the blame for possibly playing Brockbank. But definitely for playing him with the absolutely useless Baka in front of him. It gave a young lad no chance at all.

But you can only blame IE really as many said pre game that was a right hand side of nightmares so it’s not like it wasn’t for seen.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:31 pm

I’m thinking (hoping) this will do us and Evatt good in the long run. Cant keep losing by the odd goal and glossing it over cos of the football. Be like orient last season and the Crellin epiphany.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:31 pm
I’m thinking (hoping) this will do us and Evatt good in the long run. Cant keep losing by the odd goal and glossing it over cos of the football. Be like orient last season and the Crellin epiphany.

I thought similar as I trudged away after the match. If there is to be a silver lining from today it might be found in Evatt (hopefully) recognising a dollop of pragmatism is sometimes in order, and also that humility is sometimes more advantageous than hubris.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Gethin Jones has a broken leg. Good news keeps rolling in tonight. I’d suggest we scour the free market for a right back because I don’t fancy our chances without one who can do the buccaneering role Jones does.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:01 pm
Gethin Jones has a broken leg. Good news keeps rolling in tonight. I’d suggest we scour the free market for a right back because I don’t fancy our chances without one who can do the buccaneering role Jones does.
Well, we do have spare spaces in the squad - but I’d guess anyone unattached now will take a month at vey very best to get up to speed.

Brandon Comley? Izzy? Surely Baps can’t do that role?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 pm

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:01 pm
Well, we do have spare spaces in the squad - but I’d guess anyone unattached now will take a month at vey very best to get up to speed.

Brandon Comley? Izzy? Surely Baps can’t do that role?
It’s a conundrum to say the least. Isgrove perhaps but he’s far from someone I want up against a physical team at the back post. Brockbank to me needs protecting if he’s used and that’s not how Evatt sets up.

Santos out Tuesday. Be tempted to play Gordon at RB if John was fit. Our weak spots for me have always been who plays RB and who plays CDM if Gethin or MJ are out.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Aimson?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:28 pm
Aimson?
Aimson was brought in as a centre-back but I don’t know his game - maybe he could ply there. Would be some story if his first start was against his old club in the “wrong” position. Santos’s absence presumably means Baptiste in the middle - but might also mean Evatt wants a bit more centre-backy nous in his defensive line - so yeah maybe Aimson. But it would also be a bit of a blow to Brocky.

EDIT According to Transfermarkt - not always 100% accurate but usually more right than wrong - of Aimson’s 172 games, 154 have been at CB, 5 in defensive midfield and 1 at left-back (with the others unknown).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:42 pm

I think we can see the weakness in midfield. In that Lee would be best shout for RB but he’s needed in midfield if he’s fit as Sheehan for me is nowhere near what we need. Doesn’t do much beyond the pretty boy act. It’s worn thin now. We need a general not someone who goes missing all the time.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:45 pm

Id start Thomason on tuesday over Sheehan

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:25 pm

Twitter is a cesspool of vermin.

Genuinely nasty folk out there attacking players because they lost a game. What is wrong with people?

On a side note.

We're going to beat Plymouth on Tuesday and Doyle is going to score 2.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:31 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:25 pm
Twitter is a cesspool of vermin.

Genuinely nasty folk out there attacking players because they lost a game. What is wrong with people?

On a side note.

We're going to beat Plymouth on Tuesday and Doyle is going to score 2.
Shitheads.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Not sure anyone is pinning it on Harry per se. And if Gethin’s out a while Wvatt will have to rebuild Brocky’s confidence - we go again on Tuesday against another good team. I can understand why some might pick Baptiste but I doubt Evatt will.

Unless he picks him in a back three, with Izzy as wingback, and a friend up top helping Doyler… not sure I’d switch back but Evatt might - he’d have the excuse of playing against a back-three side, with an injury situation in mitigation, and away from most fans..,
I have a feeling Evatt will switch to a 3-5-2 on Tuesday for these exact reasons…and I have a feeling it won’t end well.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:50 pm
Nobody is calling for Evatts head but today was on him. He should apologise to the fans and we move on.

He has to realise that just playing football isn’t enough. In a season against good sides you need to be able to win all sorts of ways. And we are showing a vulnerability and an inability to defend to play physical sides that is looking more and more serious. Today has to be the point that is addressed. Nobody cares if we have the ball or play football if we are brushed aside so so easily by local rivals who let’s be honest didn’t need to find 3rd gear.

Football is pride and passion and grit as much as it is the fancy Dan stuff. We’ve gone far too far into Wenger pretentious nonsense. We now need to regroup go to Plymouth and as an absolute minimum setup to try and not concede. Because we need to be more compact and more awkward to play against. Full stop. There is no route to anything good by telling everyone that we are the best side in the league when it’s patently and obviously not true.
Obviously a horror-show and emotions are high. And aside from the nonsense about "apologising" (behave), there's lots many might agree with, but I think you're very much in danger of being like those you were deriding for not understanding we're always going to play out whether they like it or not. He's not going to change the general approach. I think the main thing is missing too many and the depth isn't there. Brocky, bless him. But the manager isn't going to change. I keep saying we're on the right path but we're a few windows away from having what we need to be up the top. And we play with fire. So you're going to get some great games, and some shockers. I'm still very much in for the ride.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:39 am

Genuine angle of criticism. Young Harry isn't up to it. feck to high heaven all the pricks giving him shit on the internet, but it looked pretty obvious in the summer, and we've got a long way to go into either Jones is fit it we can sign a replacement.

Hardie is a top forward at this level, a bit of everything. Not sure who else they have up there but wouldn't surprise me to see us go 3 at the back on Tues because without Santos there's so little height there. Johnston plus either Aimson or Baptiste is worrying. If it's back 4 still I think it'll be Aimson and then toss up between a bit more stay at home Baptiste and try to be more solid, but a tidy footballer. Or Isgrove with Kachunga back in. I think I'd do the latter but it's a hell of a gamble.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:24 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:50 pm
Nobody is calling for Evatts head but today was on him. He should apologise to the fans and we move on.

He has to realise that just playing football isn’t enough. In a season against good sides you need to be able to win all sorts of ways. And we are showing a vulnerability and an inability to defend to play physical sides that is looking more and more serious. Today has to be the point that is addressed. Nobody cares if we have the ball or play football if we are brushed aside so so easily by local rivals who let’s be honest didn’t need to find 3rd gear.

Football is pride and passion and grit as much as it is the fancy Dan stuff. We’ve gone far too far into Wenger pretentious nonsense. We now need to regroup go to Plymouth and as an absolute minimum setup to try and not concede. Because we need to be more compact and more awkward to play against. Full stop. There is no route to anything good by telling everyone that we are the best side in the league when it’s patently and obviously not true.
Obviously a horror-show and emotions are high. And aside from the nonsense about "apologising" (behave), there's lots many might agree with, but I think you're very much in danger of being like those you were deriding for not understanding we're always going to play out whether they like it or not. He's not going to change the general approach. I think the main thing is missing too many and the depth isn't there. Brocky, bless him. But the manager isn't going to change. I keep saying we're on the right path but we're a few windows away from having what we need to be up the top. And we play with fire. So you're going to get some great games, and some shockers. I'm still very much in for the ride.
I’m not asking for us to stop playing. Or to start going direct. But today showed that if you have ambitions of getting out of this league then you need to add genuine steel and grit to a team that plays footballers. Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho played in a great football side. It’s not a mutually exclusive thing and balance is critical. We are too far down the Coyle road or just footballers. Evatt did seem to accept that Wigan are just better than us and that’s what we need to aim for.

And I agree I’m not unhappy with where we are and it will take time and probably some sales etc. No issue. We just need to realign where we are right now. We aren’t a top half side. And that’s fine. We just need the realism along with the dream.

That’s what I’m saying. Not that we have to go and lump it. I’m also saying that in games like today we need a little more realism and to find a way to help MJ out and to stop being so open. Otherwise you risk losing all confidence. Any manager and team has to strike balances. We aren’t one of the best sides in this division and I think the mentality of some being told they are has partly contributed to yesterday’s humiliation.

Wigan have much better players than we do. Again I don’t have a problem with that but it’s just a fact. So do Rotherham and Sunderland and Plymouth. We need to realign and rediscover our plucky early season attitude.