Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 am

Surprised we don't have a match thread yet.

We go into this game with lots of questions. Wigan undoubtedly one of best teams in the league and whilst I suspect we will have most of the possession again its what we do with it and how we cope with the periods they have in the game.

Never a big fan of these sorts of games that bring out the willy wavers in force.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst and all that....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:46 am

A high scoring game. Possibly 22/7. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am

Bad feeling about this. I'm never a big fan of derbies – the threat always seems bigger than the opportunity - and social media is worse than the playground or shop-floor.

I also think we'll miss Gethin a lot. Big responsibility on young Barry Hockbank's shoulders. And also on those around to help him out and give him passing options, knowing that he won't be quite as in the Evatt pass-and-move groove as Gethin.

Interestingly, or perhaps worryingly, Iles notes this morning that the balance of Wigan's possession/attacking is as left-sided as ours is right-sided. Rocky Harbank will be on double duty for us. I wish him well.

If it were me – and it isn't – I'd have Isgrove back to help him out. I'd keep Doyler for this game but would think about rotating/resting him out on Tuesday at Plymouth - unless of course he bangs two or three past Ben Bloody Amos (advice, lads: shoot from distance). I would remind Dapo that getting annoyed at his hackers is counter-productive. I'd keep the MJ-Lee-Sarce trio but let them know that Sheehan will probably come on after an hour or so. The rest pick themselves, but I would be reminding my centre-backs that scoring from a corner, and wheeling away to celebrate with the fans, would hoist them onto a plinth of love and admiration. If there is a benefit to derbies it is that they can be a shortcut to immortality.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:22 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am
Bad feeling about this. I'm never a big fan of derbies – the threat always seems bigger than the opportunity - and social media is worse than the playground or shop-floor.

I also think we'll miss Gethin a lot. Big responsibility on young Barry Hockbank's shoulders. And also on those around to help him out and give him passing options, knowing that he won't be quite as in the Evatt pass-and-move groove as Gethin.

Interestingly, or perhaps worryingly, Iles notes this morning that the balance of Wigan's possession/attacking is as left-sided as ours is right-sided. Rocky Harbank will be on double duty for us. I wish him well.

If it were me – and it isn't – I'd have Isgrove back to help him out. I'd keep Doyler for this game but would think about rotating/resting him out on Tuesday at Plymouth - unless of course he bangs two or three past Ben Bloody Amos (advice, lads: shoot from distance). I would remind Dapo that getting annoyed at his hackers is counter-productive. I'd keep the MJ-Lee-Sarce trio but let them know that Sheehan will probably come on after an hour or so. The rest pick themselves, but I would be reminding my centre-backs that scoring from a corner, and wheeling away to celebrate with the fans, would hoist them onto a plinth of love and admiration. If there is a benefit to derbies it is that they can be a shortcut to immortality.
Agree with all of this. I don't want to say it as no doubt I'd be accused of negativity but I'm pretty sure we'll lose. Then probably go and beat Plymouth.

Its just got that sort of result written all over it. Wigan a good side arguably more balanced right now than we are with ability to score different types of goals. I'm sure they'll soak it up then hit us ala Rotherham.

I think we're seeing a pattern where our 'best performances' end in defeat. And arguably where we don't play too well like Charlton and Shrewsbury we win. But Wigan are a good side, they're not top for nowt and its probably come a week later than we'd like.

Team selection is exactly how I'd see it. Baka can come on for Doyle if its not working and same for Sheehan - my only hesitation there is he might score a free kick or take a better set piece. But open play be Lee for me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am

It's not the clearest but I think he's saying the opposite, no? We both focus down our respective rights presumably leaving the ball to keep doing big loops of the pitch.
Iles wrote:That is even more pronounced when you consider Bolton’s possession tends to be heavily weighted to the right flank, where 45 per cent of their attacks have emanated this season, compared to 32 per cent from the left. In fact, only Saturday’s opponents Wigan have more of an imbalance (47 per cent compared to 30 on the left).
I'm nervous too, and Brocky worries me. Derbies are just so unpredictable. Depending on the mood you catch me I could see anything from Brocky red card for being too pumped leading up a 7-0 loss, through to a 4-3 win with a last minute Brocky header.

I think we'll either will a high scoring classic, or lose by 1 or 2 to nil.

Tbf that seems a pretty good bet most weeks.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:48 am

I'll try be nice about that lot first;

They've done remarkably well to cobble a team together, in such a short time, that they're already looking like certs for promotion.

Now;
For a team that were of little consequence when I first started watching footy, they're now the team I consider to be our main rivals and the side I want to beat more than anybody else. My antipathy towards them wasn't helped by the behaviour of some of their clowns during the League Cup game. I realise they dont have a monopoly in that particular field but it didn't help.

Heart says 3-0 win.
Head says the Gods of football would never allow it and I'm bracing myself for a 0-2 defeat and spending Saturday evening in isolation with the telly and WiFi off.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:48 am

They've done remarkably well to cobble a team together, in such a short time, that they're already looking like certs for promotion.

Now;
For a team that were of little consequence when I first started watching footy, they're now the team I consider to be our main rivals and the side I want to beat more than anybody else. My antipathy towards them wasn't helped by the behaviour of some of their clowns during the League Cup game. I realise they dont have a monopoly in that particular field but it didn't help.

Heart says 3-0 win.
Head says the Gods of football would never allow it and I'm bracing myself for a 0-2 defeat and spending Saturday evening in isolation with the telly and WiFi off.
Couldn't care less about Wigan and find the whole 'willy waving' very embarrassing considering most fans live not far apart.

But in terms of 'cobbling a team together' they've spent a fortune. Not sure that constitutes doing well. They've got money....for now.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:06 am

Pru - yes you’re right, I misread that premium content…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Now;

Heart says 3-0 win.
Couldn't care less about Wigan and find the whole 'willy waving' very embarrassing considering most fans live not far apart.

But in terms of 'cobbling a team together' they've spent a fortune. Not sure that constitutes doing well. They've got money....for now.....
If you're embarrassed at waving your willy that's an issue for you :D , I wasn't aware I was doing it though!

I get many older fans wont give a toss about them but like it or not, they're the nearest club to a direct rival we have and I hope we smash em!

They've spent a fortune on wages perhaps but that's only what was levelled at us by some L2 clubs last year, as they're under a transfer embargo aren't they?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:31 am

I think they're in a slightly false position too, seem to have got lucky and come out the right side of some tight games. I don't think they're as good as Sunderland or Rotherham, say.

I don't think we'll finish miles away from each other.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:33 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Now;

Heart says 3-0 win.

If you're embarrassed at waving your willy that's an issue for you :D , I wasn't aware I was doing it though!

I get many older fans wont give a toss about them but like it or not, they're the nearest club to a direct rival we have and I hope we smash em!

They've spent a fortune on wages perhaps but that's only what was levelled at us by some L2 clubs last year, as they're under a transfer embargo aren't they?
Wigan aren't under any embargo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:31 am
I think they're in a slightly false position too, seem to have got lucky and come out the right side of some tight games. I don't think they're as good as Sunderland or Rotherham, say.

Newsflash - that's what the best teams tend to do. Find a way to win regardless. I suspect our 'we've played brilliantly and lost 1-0' is merely that we're still a couple of quality players short especially in and around the opponents box. I've seen many teams win the premiership without being the team that dominates possession most weeks.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 am

Never a big fan of these sorts of games that bring out the willy wavers in force.
Cor, what a joyless soul you are mate. If you cheer a team on, you're a willy-waver,( just a crackpot term anyway) like it or not, otherwise, why bother? Come on you Whites... :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 am

Isgrove and Brockbank will presumably make up our right side, and as others have mentioned, that does look a weakness for us. Having said that, I actually think Brocky is better on the ball than Gethin and can maybe get some decent balls into the box.

I suspect we are relatively closely matched with Wiggin, so ability to deal with what will no doubt be a highly-charged atmosphere could be a deciding factor. An early goal for the home team would be nice...

Hard to be confident given our recent profligacy in front of goal, but I'll be optimistic and say well take this 2-1 with goals from Doyle and Johnston.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:57 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:51 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 am

Cor, what a joyless soul you are mate. If you cheer a team on, you're a willy-waver,( just a crackpot term anyway) like it or not, otherwise, why bother? Come on you Whites... :oyea: :oyea:
No supporting a team is not the same as spending your time hoping to be able to wind up the opposition fans or engage in social media jousting with them. I have absolutely no interest in Wigan and beating them is 3 points just like beating Plymouth or Shrewsbury or anyone else.

I don't have any interest in singing songs about them being inbred or the twitter arguments that will persist pre and post match. That's willy waving. No doubt there will be plenty of idiots too looking for trouble.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:34 pm

I’d be tempted to start Baka instead of Doyle. They won’t be expecting it and it gets hardworking Isgrove in to assist Brocky and gives our attack a different feel. Doyle not a bad sub to have but I don’t see him ending the drought this weekend. We’re predictable and been undone by the divisions better sides as a result…let’s be less predictable!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:34 pm
I’d be tempted to start Baka instead of Doyle. They won’t be expecting it and it gets hardworking Isgrove in to assist Brocky and gives our attack a different feel. Doyle not a bad sub to have but I don’t see him ending the drought this weekend. We’re predictable and been undone by the divisions better sides as a result…let’s be less predictable!
If you're playing Baka up front then you need to get more crosses in and be more direct.

Which might work. But I don't see IE wanting to do that. And given Doyle is critical to a lot of our play with the way he presses, works and also his movement up front then I'm not sure its going to work just sticking Baka up front unless we adapt how we play.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 pm

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of the title "rival." It conveys the notion that I'm bothered.

We'll shit 'em.

2-0 Dapo n Sarce.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:31 am

Newsflash - that's what the best teams tend to do. Find a way to win regardless. I suspect our 'we've played brilliantly and lost 1-0' is merely that we're still a couple of quality players short especially in and around the opponents box. I've seen many teams win the premiership without being the team that dominates possession most weeks.
It's also what plenty of other teams who aren't the best do when they're going through a good/lucky run.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:42 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:34 pm
If you're playing Baka up front then you need to get more crosses in and be more direct.

Which might work. But I don't see IE wanting to do that. And given Doyle is critical to a lot of our play with the way he presses, works and also his movement up front then I'm not sure its going to work just sticking Baka up front unless we adapt how we play.
Agree on the first bit.

Baka can work the line from what I have seen. His problem is goals not a lack of effort. Doyle on for the last 15 against a tired defence when we need a goal might do it?