Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Bolton v the 3.14159265359....eaters 16-10-21

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:12 pm
Well that were feckin shite

2nd best all over the park. We looked outnumbered in every area of the pitch and several players had stinkers.

In a derby, in front of what will probably be our biggest crowd of the season. Christ, I'm peed off.
This, it was an awful performance men against boys IMO - we looked so one dimensional & every player was poor, but Brockbank especially was shocking, he looked like a poor Sunday league player.

All we did was pass backwards or hit long diagonal passes to Dapo our passing & movement was abysmal. They wanted it more, looked up for it more, looked more professional & organised and simply had better quality players up front. We looked like an average league 2 side today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:56 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

2nd best all over the park. We looked outnumbered in every area of the pitch and several players had stinkers.

In a derby, in front of what will probably be our biggest crowd of the season. Christ, I'm peed off.
This, it was an awful performance men against boys IMO - we looked so one dimensional & every player was poor, but Brockbank especially was shocking, he looked like a poor Sunday league player.

All we did was pass backwards or hit long diagonal passes to Dapo our passing & movement was abysmal. They wanted it more, looked up for it more, looked more professional & organised and simply had better quality players up front. We looked like an average league 2 side today.
We’ve got to be honest. None of our players would get in their side. The gap is that large.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:00 am

There are no good options for the Jones replacement. Said earlier that I was really pleased with the start but we were an injury or two from a massive slump. Sheehan for Lee is a huge downgrade. I missed the early games where he played well, seen nothing from him, likewise Kachunga. We hoped to rekindle the Huddersfield version but got the Sheffield Wednesday one.
Thomason on yesterday but can't see him being the answer in a floundering midfield. I'd re-register Comley out of sheer desperation because if MJ is out we'll be in all sorts of trouble.
Plus points are that we've got points on the board as a cushion and Ameachi is coming back, but I expect a torrid few weeks now.

A point on Baka, he's got to be an alternative to Doyle or nothing. Away at Lincoln before he went off injured he was leaving Jones horribly exposed. He coped heroically but was rescued by isgrove coming on and turning the tide. How Evatt could pick him in front of Brockbank against a team like that beggars belief.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:56 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

We’ve got to be honest. None of our players would get in their side. The gap is that large.
I was thinking about that very question. I think they might find a way to fit Dapo in (even if not over MacLean) but that's it.
We are very weak. Hoping Markham has some genius plans up his sleeve for January. And I would definitely be looking for a free agent right back, because we'll be needing one at some point anyway even if he isn't fit yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:00 am
There are no good options for the Jones replacement. Said earlier that I was really pleased with the start but we were an injury or two from a massive slump. Sheehan for Lee is a huge downgrade. I missed the early games where he played well, seen nothing from him, likewise Kachunga. We hoped to rekindle the Huddersfield version but got the Sheffield Wednesday one.
Thomason on yesterday but can't see him being the answer in a floundering midfield. I'd re-register Comley out of sheer desperation because if MJ is out we'll be in all sorts of trouble.
Plus points are that we've got points on the board as a cushion and Ameachi is coming back, but I expect a torrid few weeks now.

A point on Baka, he's got to be an alternative to Doyle or nothing. Away at Lincoln before he went off injured he was leaving Jones horribly exposed. He coped heroically but was rescued by isgrove coming on and turning the tide. How Evatt could pick him in front of Brockbank against a team like that beggars belief.
Yeah looks bleak for a while now. Gillingham looks huge almost like we take a defeat Tuesday and keep as many fit and fresh for Saturday now. Lose to Gillingham and it’s a real slump.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 am

This is when the transfer window feck* me off, we should be able to get a months loan sorted now.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 am

We are weak & lack physicality all over the pitch and we get bullied easily - very naive as a team. Personally I thought Wigan didn't really need to get out of 1st gear it was that easy to play against us yesterday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:28 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 am
We are weak & lack physicality all over the pitch and we get bullied easily - very naive as a team. Personally I thought Wigan didn't really need to get out of 1st gear it was that easy to play against us yesterday.
Pretty much. Santos and MJ aside I fear we are very lightweight. Evatt seemed to realise post match yesterday so over time I’m sure this will be corrected.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:19 am

A chastening defeat, no doubt, but these things happen in sport, and what happens next is the important thing.

I hope and expect that Evatt will use experiences like yesterday to further refine his tactical outlook and recruit in January to address our deficiencies. Plenty on here were calling for his head in October of last year, but he’s proven that he’s capable of adapting and turning seasons around. Let’s keep the faith.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 am

Our football is so predicable, we have no plan B or plan C. Our tactic is pass sideways, sideways, then sideways again, pass back to the keeper - then repeat the same thing several times, then try a long diagonal pass to Dapo and repeat, there was no movement, no one trying to overlap everything was slow & predictable, then on the odd occasion we got forward they tried one more pass to many at the edge of their box & lost the ball.

IMO there is little chance of this team getting out of this league until we get in several better quality players, which may take another couple of transfer windows and probably investment in terms of slightly higher wages to get these better players in, a lot of the players have a poor 1st touch and overall the team lack pace. As most agree a mid table finish is a decent result this season but this team isn't as good as Evatt thinks they are. We also make too many mistakes pissing around at the back when they need to put their foot through it trying to be too clever. I thought yesterday they all looked lacklustre and one paced & our midfield was so static, I actually thought they looked a bit tired.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:25 pm

And as for the Wigan fans dismantling the stadium, I have no words....
That’s the Willy waving I was talking about before the game that I hate in these fixtures. Apparently I was told they are just fans and supporting the team. Nonsense.
[/quote]

Moronic savagery and blatant vandalism isn't willy waving (which is bragging). Not right to class enthusiastic supporters as and with such. That's what I was talking about.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am

I've read a post stating that Wigan have spent a fortune? The team which beat us cost nothing. I do stand to be corrected but that has come from a Latics season ticket holder.
I think Saturday was a massive wake up call, both for the team and fans. I find it quite annoying that almost each game we give the opposition a goal start, all which are avoidable mistakes.

I know it's the way Evatt sets his team up and they have been told to take risks but not so early in the game. By the way, I didn't think Wigan we're that good, just organised and physical.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am

Athertonian wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am
I've read a post stating that Wigan have spent a fortune? The team which beat us cost nothing. I do stand to be corrected but that has come from a Latics season ticket holder.
I think Saturday was a massive wake up call, both for the team and fans. I find it quite annoying that almost each game we give the opposition a goal start, all which are avoidable mistakes.

I know it's the way Evatt sets his team up and they have been told to take risks but not so early in the game. By the way, I didn't think Wigan we're that good, just organised and physical.
Their first goal had nowt to do with risk taking. Just an absolutely awful and lazy header from Bakayoko. Simple as that. No idea what he was thinking though his performance was awful and arguably one of the worst I can recall.

I watched their second goal on highlights and it absolutely sums up the problems with our defending. As a goal to concede that is a horror show. Johnston comes halfway to try and win a header, realises he's getting nowhere near it and is caught in no man's land. Bad.

Gordon is alert enough to fill in behind and actually gets his head on the ball. Good. But then ends up in a right mess and loses the ball. Bad. It then bounces off Santos as he can't react and goes between the legs of the now all over the show Johnston. Bad. Then Johnston and Santos watch as McClean lines up his shot - there is more than enough time to close him down (and both centre backs are doing precisely nothing). Appalling.

If anyone wants to see our problem watch that goal. See the lack of conviction. The shambolic organisation and mistake after mistake. The ball could have been cleared numerous times. That is a team defending in the most half hearted don't really mean it manner. And that sort of lazy, half hearted play is going to be punished time and time again. I'm actually annoyed watching it.

I come back to - you can't watch that and tell me Wigan didn't want the ball more, weren't hungrier. We might have less talent than they do but by god the difference was effort and desire on the day. As you watch back the goals its crystal clear. We didn't want to be on that pitch - for whatever reason. Perhaps the talk had got to them. Perhaps they are believing their own hype but a second watch with clearer head is even worse for me.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:54 am

Athertonian wrote:
I've read a post stating that Wigan have spent a fortune? The team which beat us cost nothing.
I think the spending accusations refer to wages, signing-on fees, etc, which are a fact of modern football. Messi didn't cost PSG a transfer fee but I bet he ain't playing for fun, etc and so on.

Of course, that's no excuse for the other problems. And there'll be plenty pointing at our non-fee spend, as they did last summer, and Cotterill had a wee pop before the Shrews game. Levels within levels, wheels within wheels.

Doesn't matter how much you pay people, if they don't work hard or the plan isn't clear, it won't work. Ask Solskjaer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:54 am
Athertonian wrote:
I've read a post stating that Wigan have spent a fortune? The team which beat us cost nothing.
I think the spending accusations refer to wages, signing-on fees, etc, which are a fact of modern football. Messi didn't cost PSG a transfer fee but I bet he ain't playing for fun, etc and so on.

Of course, that's no excuse for the other problems. And there'll be plenty pointing at our non-fee spend, as they did last summer, and Cotterill had a wee pop before the Shrews game. Levels within levels, wheels within wheels.

Doesn't matter how much you pay people, if they don't work hard or the plan isn't clear, it won't work. Ask Solskjaer.
I mean we know money matters. Wigan have more of it and a deeper squad. For all IEs rhetoric on McClean he's obviously better than what we've got however you slice it but presumably we aren't able or trying to compete in that sort of a pool. Same for Wyke - obviously a goalscorer but would lead the line better than Doyle. But again out of what I suspect our summer budget and plans were.

I'd say Wigan have recruited well but they are also built around efficiency. Their game is repeatable and has enough flexibility to respond to the opposition. But they're not reliant on brilliance to win games. Just ruthless organisation and playing off their front line. You can say its a well worn and trodden path but we need to look at it and build some of that into our plan. We can still play from the back but we have to look at their ability to physically brush us aside and accept there will always be teams in league one like that and the likelihood that we'll have enough players technically so good that physicality isn't an issue at any point in league one is very very low. So we need some balance. We aren't going to completely play our way out. We didn't last season and for me the big step up is the physicality of teams and their overall pace of play allied to that. So I'd say those are things we will need eventually to get out of this league.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:48 pm

Evatt didn't sound confident before the match. He bemoaned injuries. The players were in hiding the whole match and lacked confidence. We dont seem to do well playing in front of our big home support and are more comfortable away from home. Last season after we got ourselves back in the promotion mix, last few games when the anxieties set in we struggled. Mentally, the players can't cope with pressure. We need strong leadership characters on the field. We don't seem to have any.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:58 pm

Nine banning orders handed out to home fans for infractions v Wigan.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/octobe ... ke-action/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:27 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:58 pm
Nine banning orders handed out to home fans for infractions v Wigan.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/octobe ... ke-action/
Good.