FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:23 pm
Boris, I don't think Dixon is the answer but I think he's fine for now. In that I don't think he's a catastrophe in the way almost every other unit of the team is right now. So summer for me, unless we fix the other areas first and there's a good option.
He's certainly the best we have, but I think he's far from the best we can get
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:08 am
Whilst it was, as someone else said, a tallest Dwarf competition, Sheehan was better.

If you watch the build-up to our second goal Sheehan wins the ball back in the channel and plays it forward, we lose it and he wins it again and puts the ball over the top for Baka. Then as play develops it is Sheehan who is then at the opposite end of the pitch in the forward channel who takes the ball and puts it in for their own goal. He was also the one in our box mopping up.

He wasn't good enough, for me, but he was better. After he went off Lee and Thomason plumbed new depths. I think Sheehan, Rico, Baka (who I thought was poor, but as every with forwards it's what's behind them) and Kachunga could have played in a winning side on Friday and nobody else could. It may well be that Sheehan would have made me just as angry as the others if he had played the full 90 and been a part of the total collapse.
Sheehan is a coaster. He's a frill and no punch.

Sarce is and was a far more effective player - could score goals from all over - in the box, outside the box and he drove the team on. He was inconsistent but generally his play was about getting forwards quickly and injecting the x factor into our attacks.

Sheehan is what I call a classic 'nothing' midfield player. Never going to be a regular scorer - he's no Nolan. Nor is he talented enough to be considered a Xavi style player. So he drifts around the edges of games looking nice but can NEVER EVER dominate a game of football. Nor can he or will he ever be a man to rely on for goals in a season. He's a bit of a nothing type.

I thought we only looked better first half because Evatt didn't decide to completely empty the midfield. But Sheehan offered nowt - as per usual beyond the 'oh look at me look tidy before I neatly pass it 5 yards to my side'.

I can't stand that sort of player. Midfield has two roles- winning the battle and setting off our attacks. Sheehan isn't good at either. And if you combine the number 10 of scoring goals in modern football with a midfield player he's not the third type either who is always going to pop up unseen and bang them in. I don't see what he brings to the table and I'd say of all our players he hides the most.

He does have a good set piece in him and that might be fine were we a side who had any clue whatsoever at set pieces. But we don't so every corner is a non event. And I don't think you can justify a player because he can take a free kick on the odd occassion we win one within range.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Sarce is and was a far more effective player
We won't agree on this and in the end our disagreement doesn't matter.

Given the choice, Evatt picks Sheehan. I agree with him, but that is neither here nor there. Sarce was never getting a new deal in League One or higher with us, so we move on.

If Sheehan's knee is bad it might not matter which of us is right, in the end.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Sarce is and was a far more effective player
We won't agree on this and in the end our disagreement doesn't matter.

Given the choice, Evatt picks Sheehan. I agree with him, but that is neither here nor there. Sarce was never getting a new deal in League One or higher with us, so we move on.

If Sheehan's knee is bad it might not matter which of us is right, in the end.
Given the choice Evatt was picking Sarce over Sheehan this season. Regularly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:48 pm
Sarce and Williams would have started as many games as possible this season with Sheehan as first choice and Lee alternating in, for sure. That's because he could rest Sheehan, but didn't have an alternative to Sarce's running and Williams' solidity.

Sarce wasn't getting a contract at this level, though. All three of the others mentioned did.

Evatt isn't an idiot, he knows that tactically his midfield needs balance (regardless of his interview bullshit).

Ultimately, the choice is pretty clear as to who Evatt wants in his squad at this level.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:41 pm

MJ, Sarce, Sheehan was first choice. Sheehan went away with Wales and Lee came in and played well. Kept the shirt. I think long term Sheehan was more in his plans then Sarc.

On the flip side I'm not sure it's a fact that Sarce wasn't getting a deal full stop. My suspicion is he came in on (along with Doyle) top earners wages last summer. Since then we've signed a few and I imagine eg Dapo and maybe latest MJ and Jones went above him. His position was I'm club captain I want to be up there with the top earners. We said something like we want to keep you but it's same terms and no guarantees you'll be first choice next year and he didn't like it. That's speculation but he started every game fit. We have Tutte another year last time. I think there was something, but the "status" of it is why he ended up leaving.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:58 pm

I'm the leeeeeeader! I'm the leeeeeeader! I'm the leeeeeeader of the gang, I am!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:48 pm
Sarce and Williams would have started as many games as possible this season with Sheehan as first choice and Lee alternating in, for sure. That's because he could rest Sheehan, but didn't have an alternative to Sarce's running and Williams' solidity.

Sarce wasn't getting a contract at this level, though. All three of the others mentioned did.

Evatt isn't an idiot, he knows that tactically his midfield needs balance (regardless of his interview bullshit).

Ultimately, the choice is pretty clear as to who Evatt wants in his squad at this level.
Quite. Sheehan doesn’t have Lees running or Sarces power as a number 10. So where exactly does he fit in? If he’s a number 8 then he needs to be dictating the game. Constantly on the ball moving, passing. Yet he’s more of a flirt round the edges of games. And he’s not David Silva.

So what do we do with him? He has to fit a role as he’s nowhere near close enough worth building a team round.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Sheehan's passes per game are higher than Sarce's - as is his passing accuracy, through balls, progressive passing, crosses, key passes and long passes. They're even on dribbles and I believe he's ahead on distance covered, but I'd have to check back on that as I don't have access to proper stats here.

I'd argue he does all that whilst being under utilised due to too many players in the team panicking in possession.

I don't think we need to "find a role" for him, he's the metronome in the side and the constant passing option. His passing breaks lines and generates attacks. He does that whilst also defending. Again, it may not matter if his knee has gone.

We need someone who can break lines with his running and push us up the park when our passing game isn't coming together, as well as put his foot in.

Preferably he's 6'3", built like an outhouse, fast, aggressive and has Churchillian leadership qualities; but I'll accept 4 of the 5 in a pinch.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:27 pm

I'll send you minute by minute, what he did against non league Stockport if you want. He wasn't any shade of great.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 pm

Completely disappeared after half time.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 pm
Barnettio, that's a great call. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:29 am

(_!_) Aye!
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:47 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 pm
:lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:48 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:27 pm
I'll send you minute by minute, what he did against non league Stockport if you want. He wasn't any shade of great.
Fairly sure I have said several times now that he wasn't good enough.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:51 am

Well we certainly had problems lasting the full 90. 🙄