FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:12 pm

Draws on now! ITV
Winnable game please 😃
Last edited by officer_dibble on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup 1st Round

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:26 pm

Stockport at home - that will do!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Odd, been thinking more about Stockport recently than at any time in decades - probably because I bought an old Here We Go Again in which our then rivalry features highly. Kevin Francis, Danny Bergara, Brett Angell, all that.

They did eventually reach the second tier, four seasons after we did. Stayed there for five seasons, helped by the management of one G Megson and goals from an A Wilbraham, but went down in 2002 under Carlton Palmer. Three drifting seasons later they fell into the bottom division, and though they were promoted via the play-offs in 2008 (beating Keith Hill's Rochdale at Wembley), they went into administration 11 months later. They stayed up despite a 10-point penalty but finished bottom for two successive seasons and slipped out of the league in 2011.

That wasn't the worst of it. They only lasted two seasons before slipping into the Conference North, where they spent six seasons and one play-off failure before lifting the title in 2019. Since then they've finished 8th and 3rd, losing last season's one-off play-off semi at home to Hartlepool.

Right now they're a somewhat disappointing 10th, although only a couple of points behind 5th. Goals have been a problem - they've only scored 9 in 10 league games - which will be a disappointment to Alex Reid, the 6ft4in Brummie forward who scored 16 in 37 for them last term.

Ian Evatt will know all about John Rooney, Wayne's kid brother who helped Barrow into the league with his scheming in the No10 position, and Scott Quigley, a forward who also helped the Cumbrians up. Former Wanderer Tom Walker is also on the books, as is former Yeovil/Scunny/Fleetwood hitman Paddy Madden (still somehow only 31) plus Connor Jennings (ex Tranmere) and Zeki Fryers, the United graduate who later played for Spurs, Palace, Barnsley and Swindon. Mark McGhee is assistant manager to Simon Rusk, who is a month younger than Ian Evatt (both are 39).

They'll be bang up for it. With due respect to non-league promotions, it might be their biggest day out in years. We'll have to be careful.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Perhaps also worth noting that this game comes at a relatively quiet time.

The trek to Plymouth is our only midweek league game in seven weeks. We host Gillingham next Saturday, schlep to Pompey the Saturday after and then it's Stockport the Saturday after that, so we should be well rested and content downloaded.

True, the Tuesday after Stockport we've got the remaining Sherpa Reserves Trophy Group Stage fixture at Rochdale, but considering we're top of that group with six points (Dale and Vale have 3 each) we should have enough to qualify there. I wouldn't be weakening the team significantly for Stockport: people shouldn't need to be rested, and fringe players can stake claims at Spotland.

Playing a non-league team at home is a hiding to nothing. I expect us to win, and so will everyone. We don't need to Concentrate On The League so let's set our hats at a cup run.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:20 pm

Hiding to nothing was exactly the phrase I thought of, but we should win and progress really. Wanted an exotic non league away but never mind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:34 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:20 pm
Hiding to nothing was exactly the phrase I thought of, but we should win and progress really. Wanted an exotic non league away but never mind.
Plenty hope yet. I can see seven all-nonleague ties.

Dover or Yate play Yeovil or Weymouth
Pontefract Collieries or Halifax play Maidenhead
Boreham Wood play Eastleigh (them again!) or Folkestone Invicta
Kidderminster Harriers play Grimsby
York or Morpeth play Kettering or Buxton
Marske or Gateshead play Alty
And more prosaically, Chesterfield play Southend

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:44 pm

I wanted Harrogate given we had that stolen from us last season. Might be a league game next year.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:44 pm
I wanted Harrogate given we had that stolen from us last season. Might be a league game next year.
Tranmere mate has invited me to Harrogate on Tuesday but I don't fancy standing with their fans so much! Went in the home end there about 5 years ago when they drew with Fylde in the northern premier playoffs. Never imagined we'd be in the same division so soon after.
Nice ground, worth a visit.
Pontefract Collieries would've been good for both of us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:24 pm

Yeah agreed! Park run first! Though I can’t imagine their ground holds much.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Great draw for us this. North-west derby of sorts with a bit of history.

Went to the last game we played in 2002 (that Ricketts finish).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLgoTo- ... hannel=Mar

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:45 pm

Let’s have a cup run. I think it’s pretty clear we aren’t going to go up so let’s enjoy a decent cup run some big games and maybe an upset or two.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:45 pm
Let’s have a cup run. I think it’s pretty clear we aren’t going to go up so let’s enjoy a decent cup run some big games and maybe an upset or two.
This this this this this. If he wants to be the new Rioch, he needs a cup run.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:10 pm
Right now they're a somewhat disappointing 10th, although only a couple of points behind 5th.

5th being the mighty Bromley, my local team. It's Stockport v Bromley the week after we play them and I'd expect at least a point for The Ravens (who themselves are away to Rotheram in the Cup). So, naturally, I'm thinking we should beat Stockie, but they will be well up for it, so god knows what will happen.

Also in their squad are Will Fish and Zeki Fryers, which might inform the match thread title. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm

Odd, been thinking more about Stockport recently than at any time in decades - probably because I bought an old Here We Go Again in which our then rivalry features highly. Kevin Francis, Danny Bergara, Brett Angell, all that.
Don't forget Andy Preece - he was no stranger to spoiling our fun during those times either. ;)

Back then the rivalry between Andy Walker and Kevin Francis for third division's top scorer saw the pair of them go toe-to-toe, which made it somehow ironic that the last time I saw us play Stockport was at their place in the 3rd round in 2002 - we fetched Michael Ricketts on for the last 20 (despite already being 3-0 up) in the days leading up to him playing for England, and he scored an absolute beauty from the corner of the 18 yard box.

My other abiding memory of that night is that we had a Finnish guy playing in goal named Jani Viander, who had the most extraordinary kicking action that I think I've ever seen.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm
My other abiding memory of that night is that we had a Finnish guy playing in goal named Jani Viander, who had the most extraordinary kicking action that I think I've ever seen.
”He’s no’ Finnish, he’s 28” etc… :D

Stockport and goalies always makes me think of Andy Dibble, throwing his gloves into the away end after a loan spell we knew could never become permanent.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:20 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Also in their squad are Will Fish and Zeki Fryers, which might inform the match thread title. :D
Probably done to death, but we'll have to batter them and put them in their pla(i)ce. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Don't forget Andy Preece - he was no stranger to spoiling our fun during those times either. ;)

Back then the rivalry between Andy Walker and Kevin Francis for third division's top scorer saw the pair of them go toe-to-toe, which made it somehow ironic that the last time I saw us play Stockport was at their place in the 3rd round in 2002 - we fetched Michael Ricketts on for the last 20 (despite already being 3-0 up) in the days leading up to him playing for England, and he scored an absolute beauty from the corner of the 18 yard box.

Ricketts must've come on at 2 nil up as he got the assist for pedersens goal see the vid I posted . But yeah beautiful goal topped only by Zolas backheel goal on the same night for goal of the round

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 am

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Stockport and goalies always makes me think of Andy Dibble, throwing his gloves into the away end after a loan spell we knew could never become permanent.
:shock: that was Shrewsbury wasn't it?!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 am
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

:shock: that was Shrewsbury wasn't it?!
Sensational memory skills. I sit corrected. (He definitely did throw his gloves into the away end at Edgeley too though :D )

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Ricketts must've come on at 2 nil up as he got the assist for pedersens goal see the vid I posted . But yeah beautiful goal topped only by Zolas backheel goal on the same night for goal of the round
My apologies, Mar - I'd completely missed your post (and thanks for digging out a link).

Yes, you're absolutely right, mate; I'm afraid that memory tends to have its way with me these days :D

Ricketts came on for Rod Wallace on 71, whereas Pedersen scored the third on 73.

Who on earth is/was David Norris by the way? I've absolutely no recollection of this lad whatsoever.
May the bridges I burn light your way