FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:15 pm
It really does, though, because it would be an indication there was an effort to manage what was happening on the pitch.

If I felt Evatt had tried all he could to mitigate for our deficiences and we'd still lost I'd be more relaxed about it. Instead I saw no attempt to address our problems.
There's plenty of blame for Evatt, he can get in the sack too; but he did do what he could.

He moved us to a back three and at that stage it's up to Lee and Thomason to protect the defence. Lee buggered off and Thomason was a headless chicken doing bad Pirlo impression. Johnston's body positioning is absolutely diabolical and Quigley took him to the cleaners. Aimson ruined all the credibility he built up with more for his Crewe performance by being nearly as bad as Johnson.

The shape we went with after Sheehan went off was the best option with the players we had available, but no player did their job - again, possibly bar Santos, who was basically asked to be 3 defenders.

I'm too angry to do proper analysis, but that was 90% the players and 10% the manager tonight. However, when that's the case the manager has to answer for the players' attitudes eventually.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
It really does, though, because it would be an indication there was an effort to manage what was happening on the pitch.

If I felt Evatt had tried all he could to mitigate for our deficiences and we'd still lost I'd be more relaxed about it. Instead I saw no attempt to address our problems.
There's plenty of blame for Evatt, he can get in the sack too; but he did do what he could.

He moved us to a back three and at that stage it's up to Lee and Thomason to protect the defence. Lee buggered off and Thomason was a headless chicken doing bad Pirlo impression. Johnston's body positioning is absolutely diabolical and Quigley took him to the cleaners. Aimson ruined all the credibility he built up with more for his Crewe performance by being nearly as bad as Johnson.

The shape we went with after Sheehan went off was the best option with the players we had available, but no player did their job - again, possibly bar Santos, who was basically asked to be 3 defenders.

I'm too angry to do proper analysis, but that was 90% the players and 10% the manager tonight. However, when that's the case the manager has to answer for the players' attitudes eventually.

He didn't. There was no change in approach and that's what I'm referring to when I mention mentality.

We just made no effort to make ourselves hard to beat. Irrespective of whether the players could've managed it, we failed to even try.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Can't wait for Wycombe on Saturday :|

They got turned over last night too, not doing great.

*Guarantee* we concede a soft early goal.

Needs a reaction but a lot of them look absolutely shot. If Sheehan and MJ are both out...Christ.

We're screaming out for January.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:39 pm
Needs a reaction but a lot of them look absolutely shot. If Sheehan and MJ are both out...Christ.
Our first choice midfield going into this season was Williams, Sheehan and Sarce....so yeah, Christ.

The idea of going into a game with Thomason behind Lee and Delf/Dapo is terrifying. All the structure of a dysentery $hite.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

This is all true, but they're all his players and he gets one more window to sort it out for me. This shit carries on into march I'd bin him. Bolton in league 1 with stable owners would get plenty of eligible candidates. I just can't forgive the inability, or even worse refusal, to prioritise basics such as set pieces.
Right now he seems like a poor man's Owen Coyle. And if that's harsh then feck it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:50 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:39 pm
Our first choice midfield going into this season was Williams, Sheehan and Sarce....so yeah, Christ.

The idea of going into a game with Thomason behind Lee and Delf/Dapo is terrifying. All the structure of a dysentery $hite.
That's a beautifully vulgar analogy. I salute you.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm

I mean obviously today was horrific. But last summer with no players if someone said in 18 months you'll be midtable in League One everyone would have bitten their hand off. Everyone.

Keep the faith.

Though obviously feel free to be spitting about tonight. It truly was awful.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm
I mean obviously today was horrific. But last summer with no players if someone said in 18 months you'll be midtable in League One everyone would have bitten their hand off. Everyone.

Keep the faith.

No

Yes

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:57 pm

Ps Wankers

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:00 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 pm
He didn't. There was no change in approach and that's what I'm referring to when I mention mentality.

We just made no effort to make ourselves hard to beat. Irrespective of whether the players could've managed it, we failed to even try.
I wrote a reply, but ultimately who gives a shit? We were utterly shambolic and it's not even a performance worth discussing.

They can all take a running jump after tonight.

Big, BIG response needed from that. Not just one game, a sustained response.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:04 am

17 goals conceded in the last 8 games and that's with a couple of clean sheets and playing a non-league side twice. I'm missing the sense of "one-off"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 am

Prufrock wrote:
And a decade ago we were in the Premiership. For us to be anything other than vitriolic about conceding FIVE goals to non-league opposition would be appalling. Yes, we're better than we were 18 months ago but that should not excuse performances like today. We have to set a better standard than that and meet it regularly, I thought we were on our way to doing that.
Prufrock wrote:
Keep the faith.

Agreed. We've had our fair share of these down the years, its about time we started doing them to the opposition.

Big Sam had his fair share of these too (remember Bury in 2002), so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'd take today's result over another Accrington scoreline.

Where was MJ Williams today?

A midfield of Lee, Sheehan and Thomason seems really weak, we're missing Tutte (and perhaps Politic). Tweedley, Henry and Pettifer on the bench is just crying out for problems.
Last edited by Mar on Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:12 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 am
Prufrock wrote:
And a decade ago we were in the Premiership. For us to be anything other than vitriolic about conceding FIVE goals to non-league opposition would be appalling. Yes, we're better than we were 18 months ago but that should not excuse performances like today. We have to set a better standard than that and meet it regularly, I thought we were on our way to doing that.
Prufrock wrote:
Keep the faith.

Agreed. We've had our fair share of these down the years, its about time we started doing them to the opposition.

Big Sam had his fair share of these too (remember Bury in 2002), so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'd take today's result over another Accrington scoreline.
I disagree. This is worse. I can't see this as anything other than one of the worst results in our history. We're 2 divisions above, both mid table and we were gifted two goals. We also had the opportunity to beat them at our own ground. It's fecking shameful.
At Accrington we were a club in disarray, reeling.
This is indefensible.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 am

I'll add that we picked our strongest side.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:18 am

Mar wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Keep the faith.

Oh absolutely right about tonight. Truly woeful. There's some competition for the lowest footballing moment of the last decade but it's right up there.

Tough one for the manager too. It was unacceptable, but he's already lost one senior player and it's this lot until Jan. Can't be too hard, can't be too soft. Test for him, again.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:12 am
Mar wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Keep the faith.

I disagree. This is worse. I can't see this as anything other than one of the worst results in our history. We're 2 divisions above, both mid table and we were gifted two goals. We also had the opportunity to beat them at our own ground. It's fecking shameful.
This is indefensible.
That is why i'd take this scoreline over Accrington's. Accrington's reflects on the field and off the field problems as well as downward momentum. This one, despite being terrible can, and should, have a relatively quick fix.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:25 am

"People talk about old school, new school – the game hasn’t changed, it hasn’t. Unless you run, scrap, fight as the basics and bare minimum, you will get beat."

“We can concentrate on pass detail, rotation, technical positions, playing out from the back – you have to run and fight and scrap, and tonight we didn’t do that well enough.”

There's them basics getting another mention...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:30 am

I've said before I am not panicking over this run and I'm still not, but a result like that has to have you rethinking your life choices. Never mind supporting Evatt, I had flashbacks to an awful shirt I wore in 1997.

After that game, everything is on the table. Evatt's ability to revive this squad and get a reaction out of them is going to be the real test. If we are shocking gain against Wycombe then people like Insane and DSB will start to look entirely justified in basically calling for a rebuild. I'd say Evatt has probably earned the right to conduct that rebuild, but if he can't arrest this slide then he will be at real risk.

I still, even after this, think this squad isn't miles off. We basically have no midfield right now and so Evattball is going to be, let's say "interesting" for a bit. This squad has been built on a shoestring to play one style of football and it requires a decent midfield.

Ultimately I think Evatt needs 8-9 players, but I had thought we could do that as 3-4 in January and the rest in the summer and still be fine. We'll see.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Mar wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Keep the faith.

This is indefensible.
That is why i'd take this scoreline over Accrington's. Accrington's reflects on the field and off the field problems as well as downward momentum. This one, despite being terrible can, and should, have a relatively quick fix.
Yes it's a different kind of low. I do think though, that there's a greater context to it and that's it's symptomatic of a footballing problem but thankfully not a deep rooted club-wide one.
I'd take where we are now over then any time, but still say that there are fewer excuses for this than there were for Accrington.
I honestly think we might go down.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:44 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 am
Mar wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Mar wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Keep the faith.

This is indefensible.
Yes it's a different kind of low. I do think though, that there's a greater context to it and that's it's symptomatic of a footballing problem but thankfully not a deep rooted club-wide one.
I'd take where we are now over then any time, but still say that there are fewer excuses for this than there were for Accrington.
I honestly think we might go down.
That January transfer window is looking very very interesting. I'm confident we won't go down but that's on shaky ground at the moment with no midfield.

Problem is what started out looking like a possibly good season is fast turning into a nightmarish one.

Sarce was given the benefit of the doubt in most peoples eyes but after his antics today I don't think there will be many siding with him. Like school in summer. No class.