FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 am

What did he do?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by jimbo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:09 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 am
What did he do?
There’s a video of him jumping around and dancing to ‘Bolton get battered everywhere they go’

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:12 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 am
What did he do?
Just search his name on twitter. Dancing around like a loon, running the length of the pitch to celebrate their 4th.

Doubt his departure was anything to do with just being dropped based on his reactions.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:18 am

He's a Stockport player now. I don't care really. I'm more concerned about the shower of shite he's left behind. Time to ignore football for a while. That performance has really pissed me off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:30 am
I've said before I am not panicking over this run and I'm still not, but a result like that has to have you rethinking your life choices. Never mind supporting Evatt, I had flashbacks to an awful shirt I wore in 1997.

After that game, everything is on the table. Evatt's ability to revive this squad and get a reaction out of them is going to be the real test. If we are shocking gain against Wycombe then people like Insane and DSB will start to look entirely justified in basically calling for a rebuild. I'd say Evatt has probably earned the right to conduct that rebuild, but if he can't arrest this slide then he will be at real risk.

I still, even after this, think this squad isn't miles off. We basically have no midfield right now and so Evattball is going to be, let's say "interesting" for a bit. This squad has been built on a shoestring to play one style of football and it requires a decent midfield.

Ultimately I think Evatt needs 8-9 players, but I had thought we could do that as 3-4 in January and the rest in the summer and still be fine. We'll see.
Evatt needs to recruit a number of players who are big and powerful and can run. It’s an absolute priority. We need some Abdoulaye Faye’s not more weeds who can pass a nice ball but nothing else.

If we don’t fix that then for me it’s over. You can’t be one thing. We need to stop being so one dimensional. If Evatt can’t add the variety that is clearly needed at this level and the physicality then we need to move on. Simple as that. We aren’t going to just tippy tap our way through. A non league side physically battered us. Because we have no presence. And we need presence all over the pitch. No more modern football guff. First principle win the battle. We aren’t able to do that so how much we can play is irrelevant.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 am
Evatt needs to recruit a number of players who are big and powerful and can run. It’s an absolute priority. We need some Abdoulaye Faye’s not more weeds who can pass a nice ball but nothing else.

If we don’t fix that then for me it’s over. You can’t be one thing. We need to stop being so one dimensional. If Evatt can’t add the variety that is clearly needed at this level and the physicality then we need to move on. Simple as that. We aren’t going to just tippy tap our way through. A non league side physically battered us. Because we have no presence. And we need presence all over the pitch. No more modern football guff. First principle win the battle. We aren’t able to do that so how much we can play is irrelevant.
Yes, with a caveat. The squad Evatt put together isn't lightweight on paper. Dapo, Kachunga and Baka are all physically big lads for their positions and they're all runners. If you put Jones, Rico, Aimson and John out that's a back four that should hold their own physically. In midfield we added Sheehan, but he was supposed to be in the trenches with Williams and Sarce who could both scrap it out. Likewise, with Johnston, he was supposed to be the scrappy, intelligent defender with a couple of big lads (Williams and Santos) around him; but he's fallen to bits recently.

Last night wasn't about big, powerful lads - Stockport were okay physically but not West Ham. It was about them wanting it 100 times more than we did and being willing to use that physicality every second. One of their lads lumped Dapo early doors and after that he didn't want it. Thomason has no press resistance and Lee....feck him, honestly - I'm genuinely livid about him.

As they sprinted around we had lads literally walking - not even jogging. Dapo and Lee were the biggest culprits, but not the only ones who were simply not interested in going toe-to-toe with Stockport. We say of foreign players "could they do it on a cold night in the cup?", plenty of our lads can't.

We can sign a team of NFL linebackers, but if they can't be arsed then it's pointless.

We need power in midfield, that's 100% bang on and was at the start of the season. If you want to play Sheehan, and I do, you have to have someone in there who can put it about for 90 minutes. We also need an actual defender at right back. We have physically capable lads in the side in attack and we got joy running them at times, but when your "star player" phones it in and your midfield is completely dominated what are forwards going to do? Likewise, when Sheehan is your only midfielder putting a defensive shift on (and got hurt for it) what is your back four going to do?

I don't think the team needs to be rebuilt with Fayes, but we could certainly use a couple in midfield. Even if we don't sign exceptional power, we need lads in midfield who will run for the 90. Joe Morrell is a midget and he dominates midfield at League One level, because he's constantly up for a battle. If we can find a 6'2" Joe Morrell then praise the lord, but I want the fight as much as the build.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:59 am

If I’d have woken up to news that the coach had driven into the Manchester ship canal on the way home i would probably have felt that was apt the way it’s going at the moment. I’d of taken the insurance as well on most of the ‘players’.

I can’t see Evatt sorting it - Wycombe will score as many as they want on Saturday. Akinfenwa must be rubbing his hands together at the thought of playing against Johnston. Then it’s those two home games…4 points minimum in those else I can see him struggling to let December to ge the chance to sort out his massive feck up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:54 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 am

Yes, with a caveat. The squad Evatt put together isn't lightweight on paper. Dapo, Kachunga and Baka are all physically big lads for their positions and they're all runners. If you put Jones, Rico, Aimson and John out that's a back four that should hold their own physically. In midfield we added Sheehan, but he was supposed to be in the trenches with Williams and Sarce who could both scrap it out. Likewise, with Johnston, he was supposed to be the scrappy, intelligent defender with a couple of big lads (Williams and Santos) around him; but he's fallen to bits recently.

Last night wasn't about big, powerful lads - Stockport were okay physically but not West Ham. It was about them wanting it 100 times more than we did and being willing to use that physicality every second. One of their lads lumped Dapo early doors and after that he didn't want it. Thomason has no press resistance and Lee....feck him, honestly - I'm genuinely livid about him.

As they sprinted around we had lads literally walking - not even jogging. Dapo and Lee were the biggest culprits, but not the only ones who were simply not interested in going toe-to-toe with Stockport. We say of foreign players "could they do it on a cold night in the cup?", plenty of our lads can't.

We can sign a team of NFL linebackers, but if they can't be arsed then it's pointless.

We need power in midfield, that's 100% bang on and was at the start of the season. If you want to play Sheehan, and I do, you have to have someone in there who can put it about for 90 minutes. We also need an actual defender at right back. We have physically capable lads in the side in attack and we got joy running them at times, but when your "star player" phones it in and your midfield is completely dominated what are forwards going to do? Likewise, when Sheehan is your only midfielder putting a defensive shift on (and got hurt for it) what is your back four going to do?

I don't think the team needs to be rebuilt with Fayes, but we could certainly use a couple in midfield. Even if we don't sign exceptional power, we need lads in midfield who will run for the 90. Joe Morrell is a midget and he dominates midfield at League One level, because he's constantly up for a battle. If we can find a 6'2" Joe Morrell then praise the lord, but I want the fight as much as the build.
Don’t disagree that it’s about mentality as well as physicality but when we signed Johnston I worried he was too small. And so it has played out. Centre backs the bigger the better. And in midfield we need power and running. But primarily they need to be people who want to fight.

I’m sick of hearing about Sheehan. Offers nothing. Sick of it. If we build a team around him then it will fail. He’s not a patch on Sarce and we decided we didn’t need him.

Evatt once again has messed up the recruitment in the summer. Because Johnston, Sheehan, Kachunga, Aimson - not convinced any of these make us better. Baka jury is out on but can see the logic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am

Sheehan has suspected ligament damage.

We are in serious, serious trouble.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am
Don’t disagree that it’s about mentality as well as physicality but when we signed Johnston I worried he was too small. And so it has played out. Centre backs the bigger the better. And in midfield we need power and running. But primarily they need to be people who want to fight.

I’m sick of hearing about Sheehan. Offers nothing. Sick of it. If we build a team around him then it will fail. He’s not a patch on Sarce and we decided we didn’t need him.

Evatt once again has messed up the recruitment in the summer. Because Johnston, Sheehan, Kachunga, Aimson - not convinced any of these make us better. Baka jury is out on but can see the logic.
Baps is the same height as Johnston and were we okay with him in there. I agree on the bigger the better, but there's no reason he can't do better than he is right now - it's head games. We also signed Aimson, who is a unit.

Sheehan we can argue all day about. For me, he's vastly better than Sarce. Better on the ball, more intelligent, better attitude going backwards - Sarce can run faster, that's it. Sheehan wasn't the problem last night and he hasn't been much before either. In a team where we talk about shoddy attitudes, Sheehan was so on it he got himself hurt. I'll defend him all day. All the complaints laid on Sheehan for his lack of physicality can be laid on Lee and Sheehan puts more of a shift in; but Lee escapes the criticism even when he's poor (and I like Lee...normally). Doesn't matter much now, because it sounds like Josh will be out for a long time.

I think summer was fine for what we got, we just didn't get enough. We needed 4 more in at least, but we have to limp through. Injuries and the like ring hollow after a result like that, but we seriously lack depth and we are now beyond bare bones.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am
Sheehan has suspected ligament damage.

We are in serious, serious trouble.
It’s been an inevitability that as soon as Evatt decided we had enough midfield options to free transfer two of them, we would suddenly discover we don’t have enough midfield options.

I’d actually try Johnston there with MJ (guaranteed yellow card and suspension incoming) on Saturday. He’s not a fecking Centre half that’s for sure!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:39 am

The idea of Johnston in midfield makes me want to weep like a little girl whose hamster just died.

If Williams isn't fit, and I hate to say this, it might be a job for Baptiste. Came through as a midfielder, played there a couple of times for QPR. Him playing there only makes me want to weep like a little girl whose hamster is very ill.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:25 am
"People talk about old school, new school – the game hasn’t changed, it hasn’t. Unless you run, scrap, fight as the basics and bare minimum, you will get beat."

“We can concentrate on pass detail, rotation, technical positions, playing out from the back – you have to run and fight and scrap, and tonight we didn’t do that well enough.”

There's them basics getting another mention...
Don't always agree with you Worthy, but on this 100 %. " Bang it up to the big lad" was their only game plan, and they sent more deliveries into our box than an Amazon warehouse at Christmas, but that worked fine against a spineless display that saw us bullied, out-muscled, out-fought and yes, Mr Evatt, totally out-thought. Not felt this ashamed since we lost 5-0 to Stoke. It hurts.

As a by-the-way, I thought the ref must have been a fan of cage-fighting as some of his decisions had me gibbering.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:
"People talk about old school, new school – the game hasn’t changed, it hasn’t. Unless you run, scrap, fight as the basics and bare minimum, you will get beat."

“We can concentrate on pass detail, rotation, technical positions, playing out from the back – you have to run and fight and scrap, and tonight we didn’t do that well enough.”

Worthy I agree with this in regards to running, fighting, scrapping, basics etc. But Evatt forgot his footballing philosophy & turned into Parkinson last night we just constantly aimlessly hoofed it forward they hardly but 2 passes together - it was like men against boys. What happened to us being fitter than the opposition & them tiring after 60-70 mins ?, a non league team looked fitter & much stronger than us. I actually had a thought that perhaps they had all been on the piss Sunday night ?

I'm actually really not that arsed about the result last night as we would have got beat by Rotherham, but that performance was disgraceful & embarrassing - the team looked lost & leaderless. A common thing for me all season is a lack of fight & intensity this team is soft as shit and as a lot have said all season we get bullied so easily.

There are problems with this squad in regards to attitude, bottle, fight & desire, we need some men in the team not a team of choirboys - Evatt needs to seriously re assess the type of players he wants to bring in, we need a few tougher & stronger players all over the pitch, a couple of hard, nasty bastards who can complete physically and who hate losing and will fight and show some bottle.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Worthy I agree with this in regards to running, fighting, scrapping, basics etc. But Evatt forgot his footballing philosophy & turned into Parkinson last night we just constantly aimlessly hoofed it forward they hardly but 2 passes together - it was like men against boys. What happened to us being fitter than the opposition & them tiring after 60-70 mins ?, a non league team looked fitter & much stronger than us. I actually had a thought that perhaps they had all been on the piss Sunday night ?

I'm actually really not that arsed about the result last night as we would have got beat by Rotherham, but that performance was disgraceful & embarrassing - the team looked lost & leaderless. A common thing for me all season is a lack of fight & intensity this team is soft as shit and as a lot have said all season we get bullied so easily.

There are problems with this squad in regards to attitude, bottle, fight & desire, we need some men in the team not a team of choirboys - Evatt needs to seriously re assess the type of players he wants to bring in, we need a few tougher & stronger players all over the pitch, a couple of hard, nasty bastards who can complete physically and who hate losing and will fight and show some bottle.

He didn't forget it, we just didn't have the resources to exercise it. We could've accepted that and tried to manage it by changing our approach but instead we simply opted not to.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:38 am

You could hear Evatt and the staff over the BBC mics calling for the players to calm down on the ball and get in people's faces off it.

"George! George! Time George!" *HOOOOOOOOF!*
"Baka, get at him. Now, Baka, get at him!" *slow jog*

The lads' heads went. You can talk about the manager doing this and that to change structure or whatever, but once players' heads go it's like herding cats. You need a couple of players in the side who will say, "This is what we're going to do" and the only player we had doing that did his knee.

Bunch of panic fannies the lot of them. Ultimately, all responsibility will reach the manager; but they let him down last night. You saw precisely why they are playing where they are in the league pyramid.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:42 am

Okay, last comment, but a rough, tough team two leagues below us, a defence that gift us three first half goals (one way or another) and we, the Mighty Whites, never really troubled them at all. In truth, they ran rings round us and, lest we forget, stuck five goals past us....we really need a performance Saturday, do we?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:16 am

Evatt has said what we already know, the squad lacks leaders. "The right kinds of leader" as he put it, presumably to avoid upsetting Santos - who isn't.

He says we are using development techniques to improve leadership characteristics - which is so painfully on brand with Evatt it's untrue.

"Read this book on leadership by an NFL coach."
"Can we do some set piece work, boss?"
"Why? Have you finished the book already?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Yeah the last part. We're way too nice. Nobody wants a physical battle or enjoys that side of the game in our squad. Its all too much about passing it and then switching off when we don't have the ball. I want to see the other side of the game and these players aren't up for that. When the going's good its fine but teams have worked us out. We struggle against a physical side especially when they are good at pressing us. Rotherham and Wigan both demonstrated this but since then its got worse. We also are abysmal at defending crosses into our box. Needs a better balance. Needs a leader and a number of lads who are able to outcompete the opponents physically.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 am

Evatt's in the Evening News saying "I wondered what would happen if we lost MJ and there's the answer". Really? The more Evatt attempts to absolve himself, the more ridicule he attracts.
We've just shipped seven over two games against a non-league side.
Sort it out, you c*nt.
May the bridges I burn light your way