Kent buy a win, 23/10/21 15:00 Gillingham (h)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Kent buy a win, 23/10/21 15:00 Gillingham (h)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 pm

It’s obvious something has happened beyond Sarce being out of contract in the summer. What that is we aren’t going to know but it’s clear he’d have liked to have stayed but what drove the decision in October will I suspect remain a mystery. The fact the club don’t want to say probably means whatever it is, it isn’t all one way. Mind these things always have two sides.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:22 pm
I'm absolutely certain Evatt won't be our manager at the end of the season.
I’d certainly say the odds are shorter than a fortnight ago.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

The start to this season is not a million miles off the start to last year. Weren't the "Evatt Out" crew beginning to sharpen their pitchforks around about now? His contract runs until May 2024; if we stay in D1 this season then he's not going anywhere in the summer. Even if we were relegated, I can't see why he would be binned off, unless he truly lost the dressing room.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:06 pm
Gotta remember that we have two squad spaces spare. Politic back would I think fill one. Leaves us one spare. So would need a fair few exists unless we deregister people.

Who would go out? Delf? Couldn’t shift him in summer. But the obvious one. Maybe Gordon? Sheehan? Kachunga?

Beyond them and presumably shifting them hard not sure I can see many we can shift. I suppose Doyle may go if we find a striker.
Dennis is in his last underage season so that wouldn’t impinge on numbers, thankfully. Whether Evatt wants him or jot is a different thing, but it doesn’t affect squad spaces.

You’re right though that we don’t have a vast amount of elbow room. And speaking of elbows I suspect we may see a few people sent more firmly toward the door. We could also send Liam Edwards on loan or deregister him. Same for Gordon and Brocky if we can get upgrades. It’s an if but there’s lots of ifs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Window by window. We've got lots of headroom. Feel that point could be massive in terms of keeping some sort of momentum until Jan. But I expect us to do a bit. Wages wise, there's a big spot.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:04 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
The start to this season is not a million miles off the start to last year. Weren't the "Evatt Out" crew beginning to sharpen their pitchforks around about now? His contract runs until May 2024; if we stay in D1 this season then he's not going anywhere in the summer. Even if we were relegated, I can't see why he would be binned off, unless he truly lost the dressing room.
Aye, I agree. And I still like the guy and think he’s capable. I did also ponder the relegation possibility this afternoon and decided that, on balance, I’d be in favour of retaining (although it depends on the manner of demotion).

But he is… wobbling a bit under the pressure. And I think the chances of him leaving are greater than they were. I hope it works out; I just think the likelihood has shifted slightly. Then again, I think it was DJblu who said at 1-2 that the next goal could decide Evatt’s career. I hope he was right, for all our sakes.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:05 am

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:04 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Aye, I agree. And I still like the guy and think he’s capable. I did also ponder the relegation possibility this afternoon and decided that, on balance, I’d be in favour of retaining (although it depends on the manner of demotion).

But he is… wobbling a bit under the pressure. And I think the chances of him leaving are greater than they were. I hope it works out; I just think the likelihood has shifted slightly. Then again, I think it was DJblu who said at 1-2 that the next goal could decide Evatt’s career. I hope he was right, for all our sakes.

DSB, you will always understand the game far better than me, but I don't follow why Evatt is "wobbling". We're a team that snuck into the last promotion place; we have limited resources; yet we're 12th. I get that it's all about context and form, but I think that, currently, we're a side that has highs and lows (perhaps more extreme than is usual), but, which evens out at around mid-table.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:32 am

It’s not about a greater understanding, and anyway a lot of it is opinion. I’d say having more extreme highs and lows than usual is a working definition of wobbling, especially when the lows are so low - a home humiliation to local rivals, a slapstick hammering at Plymouth, going 2-0 at home to bloody Gillingham - and the highs are rare (Ipswich, Charlton, that’s pretty much it). We are also, unquestionably, struggling to keep a clean sheet or score regularly. Our intentions are good, but some fundamental basics are lacking.

As I say it’s not about a greater understanding but I’ve said before that the difference between watching football as a fan and as a journalist is that the latter are supposed to be disinterested (which means impartial like a judge or policeman or referee is supposed to be, as opposed to uninterested). Obviously I’m far from dispassionate about Bolton but it’s a handy tool to be able to watch with the brain rather than the heart. And if I saw any other team play the sort of possession football we endeavour to play, I’d applaud them; but if I
saw any other team defend as badly as we do, and score as infrequently as we do, I would expect them to struggle - and I would expect the manager to be under pressure.

In our case, a bright start, which garnered most of the points that now keep us in midtable (we got 12pts from the first 21 available, scoring 14 goals - 2 per game, but then only 7 of the next 24, scoring just 8 - 1 per game, and half of them came on one night at Charlton), heightened expectations to the point where people whose opinions I trust started talking about promotion. As James almost sang, to swing back down from that somewhat knocks you on your arse - raising criticism of the manager, especially when the captain leaves in extremely weird fashion. The corollary to that is that coming from 2-0 with five minutes left to draw might just be the fillip the manager needs.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:48 am

So, it'll be reet? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:01 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:48 am
So, it'll be reet? :D
Ha! I dunno. I hope so. I hope Evatt is given the chance, by board and fans (and players?), to be successful. He’s clearly still learning and I worry that some simple things are very poor - defensive diligence (part shape, part attitude) and most glaringly set pieces (blunt in attack, leaky in defence). The good news is they’re fixable. No midweek game, need to see improvement at Pompey.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:28 am

I thought Dapo was the best player on the field by a mile. He showed real leadership driving the team forward and grabbing the ball after the 2nd goal letting the players know we needed another one. Seems to be our new #10 as I thought he flourished in the role when Sheehan came off. Isgrove, John and Lee also played well. We had a lot of luck as we could have conceded at least 4 given how poor we defended. Kachunga was very disappointing. The ball stops dead or is lost when he gets it and all forward momentum dies with him. He should be fit now but is looking like a wasted transfer. Has to do better.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:21 am

I've written two long posts and deleted both.

Ultimately the issue we have is really simple. Our best players are still the lads we picked up last season, not the lads we signed to supposedly get us out of this division.

There's clearly ability there in some of them; but ultimately we are relying upon Dapo, Lee et al to carry this squad. We had to do really well with recruitment in the summer and in the end we did okay. We didn't get enough in in some areas and we didn't hit the heights in key positions that we needed to. I think we discussed at the time how "rivals" were doing better business than us and it is showing.

Until we can look at our first 11 and say "this new signing is a key player for us" we will be in a scrap. Sheehan has had flashes and Sarce leaving should be seen by him as a massive opportunity to take over the midfield.

We are 15 games into the season now. The "bedding in" period is done with. Some of the new lads need to step up. I still think we can have a really good season, despite the obvious crap we are wading through right now. We will see.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:34 am

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gotta remember that we have two squad spaces spare. Politic back would I think fill one. Leaves us one spare. So would need a fair few exists unless we deregister people.

Who would go out? Delf? Couldn’t shift him in summer. But the obvious one. Maybe Gordon? Sheehan? Kachunga?

Beyond them and presumably shifting them hard not sure I can see many we can shift. I suppose Doyle may go if we find a striker.
Dennis is in his last underage season so that wouldn’t impinge on numbers, thankfully. Whether Evatt wants him or jot is a different thing, but it doesn’t affect squad spaces.

You’re right though that we don’t have a vast amount of elbow room. And speaking of elbows I suspect we may see a few people sent more firmly toward the door. We could also send Liam Edwards on loan or deregister him. Same for Gordon and Brocky if we can get upgrades. It’s an if but there’s lots of ifs.
WHY THE HELL IS LIAM EDWARDS REGISTERED?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:18 am

People speculating Evatt will leave is I’d hope just fear.

I don’t see him leaving and he absolutely shouldn’t be sacked. He’s got a lot to learn but the whole gig is he should do it with us as we grow under our owners.

What we’ve had in recent times is a reality check. And nobody more than Evatt. We aren’t as it stands a top half of this league team. Far from it. But that’s ok so long as Evatt et al realise that and plan to make us better.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 am

Fixtures before January are eminently more favorable - if we can get enough points to keep our noses clear of the bottom 6 we should be ok. The problem is we are obviously low on confidence and have an incredible knack of falling behind in games. There is a section of our support that will expect 20+ points before January and want us in the playoffs. He needs to manage that sensibly and hope he gets backed for signings. Mid table this season, great result for me.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

The Vale fans are raving about Politic. It would be a kick in the nuts if we get nowt for him after doing all his rehab.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:57 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 am
Fixtures before January are eminently more favorable - if we can get enough points to keep our noses clear of the bottom 6 we should be ok. The problem is we are obviously low on confidence and have an incredible knack of falling behind in games. There is a section of our support that will expect 20+ points before January and want us in the playoffs. He needs to manage that sensibly and hope he gets backed for signings. Mid table this season, great result for me.
I think if we finish clear of bottom 6 that’s a great season considering what we’ve got. The start was partly a promotion bounce but also Dapo being an unknown quantity. Now teams have sussed him out we are reverting to the mean and sadly the mean is quite low down.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am

Plenty of time to improve, Insano old chap. Our squad is unlikely to be any weaker than it is right now, and we seemingly have scope to add a few players in Jan. I don’t think we’ll see a repetition of last season, but I do expect us to progress as we adapt to the division and bring in better players.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

WHY THE HELL IS LIAM EDWARDS REGISTERED?

:lol:

Though seriously the question is surely why on earth is Comley not? I know he's shite, but there's no reason for him not to be, and we're now down to 4 fit central midfielders, one of who is in 4 bookings and another is pretty injury prone.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am
Plenty of time to improve, Insano old chap. Our squad is unlikely to be any weaker than it is right now, and we seemingly have scope to add a few players in Jan. I don’t think we’ll see a repetition of last season, but I do expect us to progress as we adapt to the division and bring in better players.
Yep we will I think become stronger. I don’t think there is a great deal of concern other than those who thought we were genuine promotion candidates. Evatt needs to perhaps learn that you need to manage expectations as much as you do raise them.