Kent buy a win, 23/10/21 15:00 Gillingham (h)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Kent buy a win, 23/10/21 15:00 Gillingham (h)

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:29 pm

I don't know why but I'm buzzing tonight, happy as Larry with that comeback - it could have been so much worse & toxic (probably from me more than anyone !) if we hadn't come back like that today - well done IE & the team.

However, we will limp towards the Jan window with very few wins IMO. In Jan (as early as possible) we need an Abdoulaye Faye type player either at CB or as a defensive midfielder - we need a player with physicality who will seriously compete & fight. Although Dixon's double save was good and a potential game changer I do think that we need a better more reliable keeper, and we do need another RB and we need either a 6ft plus physical CF who's good in the air or a proper pacey finisher - I know its a pipe dream and highly unlikely but we do need at least 4 better quality players in Jan (how the feck we afford them or even make room for them in the squad I honestly don't know)

We have a few decent players though - Declan John, Santos (who was poor today BTW), MJ, Lee, Dapo and hopefully Amaechi and Sheehan has it in him with a bit more confidence.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:53 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:29 pm
I don't know why but I'm buzzing tonight, happy as Larry with that comeback - it could have been so much worse & toxic (probably from me more than anyone !) if we hadn't come back like that today - well done IE & the team.

However, we will limp towards the Jan window with very few wins IMO. In Jan (as early as possible) we need an Abdoulaye Faye type player either at CB or as a defensive midfielder - we need a player with physicality who will seriously compete & fight. Although Dixon's double save was good and a potential game changer I do think that we need a better more reliable keeper, and we do need another RB and we need either a 6ft plus physical CF who's good in the air or a proper pacey finisher - I know its a pipe dream and highly unlikely but we do need at least 4 better quality players in Jan (how the feck we afford them or even make room for them in the squad I honestly don't know)

We have a few decent players though - Declan John, Santos (who was poor today BTW), MJ, Lee, Dapo and hopefully Amaechi and Sheehan has it in him with a bit more confidence.
I’d suggest we need to look to the loan market to bring in players of the required standard. We’re not going to pay transfer fees, and anyone that’s available on a free is almost certainly not going to be good enough. Long time ‘til Jan, though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Hopefully port vale will have got politic fit by January. Get him back and that’s another body. A tough tackling midfielder and a left winger to free Dapo up to play centrally…plus two full backs! Maybe not all in january

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Gotta remember that we have two squad spaces spare. Politic back would I think fill one. Leaves us one spare. So would need a fair few exists unless we deregister people.

Who would go out? Delf? Couldn’t shift him in summer. But the obvious one. Maybe Gordon? Sheehan? Kachunga?

Beyond them and presumably shifting them hard not sure I can see many we can shift. I suppose Doyle may go if we find a striker.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:40 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:30 pm
Have we scored this season with a header?
Doyler’s only open play goal in the league, I think. Near post v Oxford.
Reading through and didn't realise this! That wasn't even open play (it was a non-pen but from a corner right?). Eesh.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm

Christ on a bike!!!! :shock: Been away for a week and coming back today thought WTF as it looked like another defeat. Got on the M5 and it was 2-2 and a get in moment. Got home to then find out about the Sarce situation as I hadn't been near the net yesterday or this morning. What a hell of a couple of weeks. Please let this fightback be the turnaround we need after recent results and events :|
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:13 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:56 pm
Bigger than a point that.
Aye, feels it after the week we've had. Bounce.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:13 pm
Glad that LE and I didn't 'feck off for a pint at half time' in the end, but it's as close as I'll ever come to it (I hope ;) )

He'd have made you pay for the pint. Just sayin'.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:29 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:11 pm
Thank god for MJ in that match. Those balls from deep in behind in the corners opened them up massively. Whether it was by design or by a lack of belief it looked like that wasn't an option prior to the 60 minute mark.

Glad Sheehan was taken off. His second half was shocking. Can't account for not being able to beat the first man on a corner then following it up with a bad pass. That's costly mistakes at threatening moments. He'd be miles better if we were spreading the play about like we were after he came off. Better to mix up the play rather than progress the play slowly.

Good fightback and so happy that it seems we discovered more of what was working. For me that game today could've been lost by 4 or 5. So many times we've had dodgy passing plays leading to giveaways from Dixon. Were desperately missing an out ball up field. Seems the players were trying to play it safe but that was compounding matters.

All in all losing streak addressed. Nice come back. Few positives to take away and could've been much better or much worse.

As for Sarcevic. One comment on the radio is that he asked the players to have a vote of no confidence. Not sure if this is true or further speculation but he mentioned that he was the only one that voted against Evatt. Strange narrative but might be something to consider
One comment on the radio from who? Sounds like the work of a fantasist.
Quite possibly but its a new take on the whole story and given a possible outcome would end up reflecting good on the whole team, not necessarily on Sarce

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:29 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:11 pm
Thank god for MJ in that match. Those balls from deep in behind in the corners opened them up massively. Whether it was by design or by a lack of belief it looked like that wasn't an option prior to the 60 minute mark.

Glad Sheehan was taken off. His second half was shocking. Can't account for not being able to beat the first man on a corner then following it up with a bad pass. That's costly mistakes at threatening moments. He'd be miles better if we were spreading the play about like we were after he came off. Better to mix up the play rather than progress the play slowly.

Good fightback and so happy that it seems we discovered more of what was working. For me that game today could've been lost by 4 or 5. So many times we've had dodgy passing plays leading to giveaways from Dixon. Were desperately missing an out ball up field. Seems the players were trying to play it safe but that was compounding matters.

All in all losing streak addressed. Nice come back. Few positives to take away and could've been much better or much worse.

As for Sarcevic. One comment on the radio is that he asked the players to have a vote of no confidence. Not sure if this is true or further speculation but he mentioned that he was the only one that voted against Evatt. Strange narrative but might be something to consider
One comment on the radio from who? Sounds like the work of a fantasist.
Quite possibly but its a new take on the whole story and given a possible outcome would end up reflecting good on the whole team, not necessarily on Sarce
But the ramblings of someone making it up doesn’t make it a worthwhile take?

We will never know what has happened or why. If Sarce had done anything like that there is absolutely no reason the club wouldn’t have said he’d done something wrong and his position at the club was no longer tenable.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Need proof before it is broadcast to the world.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Reading through and didn't realise this! That wasn't even open play (it was a non-pen but from a corner right?). Eesh.
I’d check. By open play here I mean non-pen, but I take your point and indeed I wonder whether that is our only goal from a set-piece except Sheehan’s opening day FK?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 pm
Prufrock wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
I’d check. By open play here I mean non-pen, but I take your point and indeed I wonder whether that is our only goal from a set-piece except Sheehan’s opening day FK?
I'm pretty confident it was a set piece. Corner I think but if not wide free kick.

And yeah, definitions. But definitely not, to use the other awful go to, "free play". That doesn't bode well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:00 pm
I'm calling bullshit here. Why would the club let its captain, and a key player, go at a time when they can't realistically replace him? Sure, sign the old pre-contract with Stockport and let him go then (which I'm not sure we would have done), fair enough, but I'm not having any of the above. It makes no sense.

Summat's gone on!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:32 pm
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 pm
Prufrock wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
I'm pretty confident it was a set piece. Corner I think but if not wide free kick.

And yeah, definitions. But definitely not, to use the other awful go to, "free play". That doesn't bode well.
Yeah Doyle’s header was definitely from Sheehan’s corner. His only non-pen goal, bar v Port Vale in the Sherpa Reserves Shield.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 pm
Summat's gone on!
Summat like a failed mutiny? :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:10 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 pm
Summat's gone on!
Summat like a failed mutiny? :mrgreen:
Aye, Cap'n. :D

Who knows? Some of the rumours I've heard knocking around now range from blackmail to putting where it doesn't belong, and all peripheral points; I'm not having Evatt's version of events either. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:22 pm

I'm absolutely certain Evatt won't be our manager at the end of the season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:27 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:22 pm
Por que?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:35 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:22 pm
Based on what?

Your meths consumption this evening? :mrgreen:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"