Sarcevic

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sarcevic

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:12 pm

BN presser writeup quotes Evatt:

“Stockport made contact. Would he be available? The answer was yes. It was the honest answer. He was out of contract in the summer. This club is always looking for progression and at the moment we couldn’t commit to giving him any longer than the contract he was on.

“We had a conversation. He then said he’d be interested in it and it developed from there. Sarce has been a fantastic captain, a fantastic player for this football club.

“There’s no grudges held. Football moves on really quickly. We wish him well, we wish him all the best, but now it’s about focusing on what we’re doing.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... departure/

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:22 pm

It definitely seems to me like Sarce was somehow upsetting the apple cart. Maybe he was narked about the contract situation, wanted more money/more years than we were prepared to give, wasn't happy about our reluctance to discuss it. Maybe he'd said he was off, regardless. Either way, we obviously weren't confident that his heart and soul were going to be in it even until January.

Club doesn't owe any explanations, as far as I'm concerned. We've already seen, after Evatt's comments on the situation, that people will decide what they want to believe. And really, there's nothing they could say that wouldn't paint either themselves or Sarce in a bad light, potentially resulting in libel.

A player's job is to follow the manager's instructions to the best of their ability. If they're unable or unwilling to do that, it's best they go. If the manager is out of line in what he's asking them to do, it's the board's job to take action. Sarce has gone, and Evatt still has the board's backing. That's good enough for me.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:22 pm
It definitely seems to me like Sarce was somehow upsetting the apple cart. Maybe he was narked about the contract situation, wanted more money/more years than we were prepared to give, wasn't happy about our reluctance to discuss it. Maybe he'd said he was off, regardless. Either way, we obviously weren't confident that his heart and soul were going to be in it even until January.

Club doesn't owe any explanations, as far as I'm concerned. We've already seen, after Evatt's comments on the situation, that people will decide what they want to believe. And really, there's nothing they could say that wouldn't paint either themselves or Sarce in a bad light, potentially resulting in libel.

A player's job is to follow the manager's instructions to the best of their ability. If they're unable or unwilling to do that, it's best they go. If the manager is out of line in what he's asking them to do, it's the board's job to take action. Sarce has gone, and Evatt still has the board's backing. That's good enough for me.

Agree.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:52 pm

The contract is obviously definitely part of it. I buy at least that he wanted assurances we weren't willing to give where I get both sides. League 1 is his limit, and he'll turn 30. On his part they're well paid v your man in the street but it's not silly money, and it's a short career.

But I don't believe for a second that's it. If you're him, that offer is there in the summer so why wouldn't you keep playing league one and try to win s new contract here or elsewhere in the league.

And for us, I can see how you might think (presumably wages impacting) that you could do better (for the money). But losing your captain when you're short on bodies and can't replace him is insane.

Clearly multi lateral enough that neither feels free to come out and slag the other off.

My reckon is six of one hand a dozen of the other and in that situation the manager always (rightly) wins.

Also agree I think Evatt will still be here at the start of next season but it's shifted the probability. Maybe not so much whether he is, but pretty solidly whether it's poached to a bigger club v getting sacked.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:45 am

Someone will spill the beans in the future. It's probably best nobody does for now. We just need to move on.

For me, I liked him on the pitch for his willingness and goal threat. I thought he was a mardarse off it. If he'd gone in January it'd be a case of "We'd better have a good replacement lined up, but that's fine"....the timing is what makes it really ridiculous.

Ultimately, he's gone to non-league for the money and we are trying to build a team of players who are hungry to play at a higher level. No blame attached to him for taking the pay cheque, but past this season he'd be the wrong fit anyway - both in terms of his quality and outlook.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:00 am

My gut is it’s gone something like this -
Sarce asked to open contract talks, Ian/Sharon have said no not until Jan. After the last couple of games Ian’s gone mad at the lads said carry on like this and nobody’s getting a new deal. Dropping Sarce Tuesday under the context of a made up injury has brought Sarces agents work to light on the way back - and theirs been a big bust up - which stubborn Ian / stupid Sarce can’t reconcile so I reckon it got physical - your out now pal, go sign for Stockport, we don’t need players like you disrupting us etc etc.

From Sharon/the boards point of view they have free transferred an asset so they have to have been convinced it needed to happen now. They have backed the manager and the support and fight from the players yesterday vilifies that, but I doubt it’s all one way. So probably will count against Ian in terms of the boards opinion. As poor an episode as we have had under this or any set of management team…probably akin to Phil brown v Andy Todd…

As for Sarce I’m not convinced by all the ‘proudest moment of my life’ bollocks either. Why so readily fall out and rip the contract up? Agents had a word - go and get three years on easy street in non
League for more money. The falling out has the pair rubbing their hands together - ideal for an agent, a fee out of transfer window season.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:52 am

truewhite15 wrote:

Club doesn't owe any explanations

Correct - so why has the manager released a statement that basically takes us for a bunch of fecking idiots?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:52 am
truewhite15 wrote:

Correct - so why has the manager released a statement that basically takes us for a bunch of fecking idiots?
Small point of order - he hasn’t released a statement, he’s answered a question in a press conference. The content thereof is up for discussion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:

It wasn’t a statement it was post match press conference where he was asked the question. Basically I guess there were three options for him.

1) Detail what happened or what the reasons were.
2) Say it’s done and you won’t be going into it any further.
3) Give a very broad outline without any detail.

He opted for 3. Perhaps was under instruction. We don’t know. The broader problem is that he seemingly wasn’t pressed by those interviewing him to actually explain and we have some fans who aren’t bright enough to realise it was a glossed over answer that brought us nothing new and are taking it literally.

I wouldn’t blame IE in this instance as if he didn’t feel or was told not to explain then he can’t do much else but this or refuse point blank to talk about it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:17 am

Stranger than fiction, and we may never know the truth till somebody writes a book in a few years time. As it is, it happened, let's press on..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:31 am

Unless any genuinely explosive information comes to light, I've moved on already. We probably won't ever find out exactly what happened and yesterday's late comback suggests to me Evatt hasn't "lost the dressing room".

On we go.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:23 pm

Can't find any highlights anywhere? Anyone?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:23 pm
Can't find any highlights anywhere? Anyone?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:35 pm

Thanks Pru.. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:24 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:

Small point of order - he hasn’t released a statement, he’s answered a question in a press conference. The content thereof is up for discussion.
And a very fair point of order too, however, it is indeed the content thereof which I have a huge issue with.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
And a very fair point of order too, however, it is indeed the content thereof which I have a huge issue with.
Oh quite, and I can understand that. But as noted, he's hardly likely to inflame the situation any further. He has, after all, won.

If - and it's a big if I don't want to stress-test – we lose a few more and the fans start chanting for Sarce's return and Evatt's balls as clackers, then the manager might be moved to say more. But right now, I hope not, and it's probably best for the club that way. Slightly irritating for the fans, 'cos we all want to know the gory details, but it's the way we roll these days.

I'm sure we'd have heard more if we still had Ken's Krazy Kolumn...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:23 pm

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Oh quite, and I can understand that. But as noted, he's hardly likely to inflame the situation any further. He has, after all, won.

If - and it's a big if I don't want to stress-test – we lose a few more and the fans start chanting for Sarce's return and Evatt's balls as clackers, then the manager might be moved to say more. But right now, I hope not, and it's probably best for the club that way. Slightly irritating for the fans, 'cos we all want to know the gory details, but it's the way we roll these days.

I'm sure we'd have heard more if we still had Ken's Krazy Kolumn...
Can't imagine anyone chanting for Sarce's return, more people wanting clarity. If our captain has done something that warrants his removal then good riddance. Sarce's comments featuring a blue heart (cold hearted) suggest that it wasn't his option, but maybe there was something in his contract that allowed us to terminate it without having a reason that is usually justified. I suspect though, that this is not the case and that something happened that both parties wanted to move past.

Certainly if it came down to just the footballing side of things we wouldn't have seen Sarce going to Stockport so something must've happened.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:48 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:23 pm
Sarce's comments featuring a blue heart (cold hearted) suggest that it wasn't his option
See, I didn't read the heart that way at all. You just use a blue heart because you love Bolton, so red's a naughty colour. I'll bet an internet ten-bob note that he used the blue heart previously, when all in the garden was rosy.

What he did say was "The sport is brutal and can be out of your control." On a similar topic, Evatt said "Football moves on really quickly."

Evatt also said, and here I'm quoting the BN:

“Stockport made contact. Would he be available? The answer was yes. It was the honest answer. He was out of contract in the summer. This club is always looking for progression and at the moment we couldn’t commit to giving him any longer than the contract he was on. We had a conversation. He then said he’d be interested in it and it developed from there."

Now, "We had a conversation. He then said he’d be interested in it and it developed from there" is doing some heavy lifting. But basically I read it thus: Evatt was going to try to get an upgrade, Sarce couldn't be promised an extension (brutal? hardly), and Stockport were interested. During the conversation about this, something happened that made the situation so untenable Evatt decided he'd rather lose his captain now with no way of replacing him. Again, that doesn't necessarily reflect well on the manager, but it also doesn't scream of happy families. It simply can't have been a decision taken lightly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Sounds like something that would happen in Football Manager.

"Stockport are interested in my services, I want a new contract."
"Well, if you feel that way we'll let you talk to them."
"What!? I can't believe you're treating me this way! This isn't the end of this!"

micro52
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by micro52 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:15 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:00 pm
I’m waiting for the full story before passing on well wishes.
This, 100%. If you'd asked me on Wednesday I'd have said he was right up there with my favourites of recent times.

But. But but but. The manager is in charge. If there's a confrontation that can't be fixed I'm backing the manager 99% of the time, and the 1% he should be sacked (and I think if he deserved it Sharon would've sacked him). Sarce was paid to play. If he's not happy with managerial decisions, he needed to buckle up and accept it. He's not in charge. He didn't want to, so I'm very strongly leaving towards he can get fecked.

But look at the results....Stockport hammering Dover away, Wanderers slumping again. Evatt and Anton should have patched it up for the good of the club.