Sarcevic

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

micro52
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Sarcevic

Post by micro52 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm

Well it’s ok to take the high ground but this is a massive self inflicted wound for the Wanderers....Manager and Player should’ve had their heads banged together. We are sliding down the league now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:06 pm

My mate's a County fan, said he's been brilliant (which you'd sort of expect in National League) all set up nicely for him to score next week.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:20 pm

If he does Evatt surely can’t duck the question.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:06 pm
My mate's a County fan, said he's been brilliant (which you'd sort of expect in National League) all set up nicely for him to score next week.
I mean he was one of our best 3 or 4 players. He’s a massive loss. Sheehan is awful. So he was always going to rip it up in non bloody league.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 pm

Hello random man with 2 posts. I think we would've battered Dover too, tbf.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 pm
We'd have destroyed them 0-0 today.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:56 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Hello. Me again with my National League bantz (was at Bromley v Halifax today where I saw Liam Trotter come on as a ht sub and put in a shift). Dover are fkd. How they are still going, I'll never know. We should tw@t Stockport next week, which is not what I said in the Cup thread, but I've since changed my mind.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:15 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:08 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Hello. Me again with my National League bantz (was at Bromley v Halifax today where I saw Liam Trotter come on as a ht sub and put in a shift). Dover are fkd. How they are still going, I'll never know. We should tw@t Stockport next week, which is not what I said in the Cup thread, but I've since changed my mind.
Yeah but you told me at Wimbledon that you know nothing about football!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:40 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:15 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:08 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Yeah but you told me at Wimbledon that you know nothing about football!

Still don't! :P
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:34 am

Couple of things over the past week have tipped the dial for me from "we don't have enough information to tell so default is back the manager" to "looks more likely to me Sarc was a mard arse".

One was Challinor's comment about playing at Plymouth being a big deal for him. I'd sort of discounted that as it seemed so ridiculous. He'd clearly been carrying a knock, we had 3 games in a week, it was heavy conditions, and he did come on anyway. But it seems very likely to have been a factor given Challinor is aware of it.

In which case, be-f*cking-have.

And the contracts. The timing seems very likely to suggest negotiations were ongoing at the time. I agree that the management team probably looked towards a future next year where he was not a guaranteed starter (though I strongly doubt they were going to bin him off completely) and that was reflected in the offer (presumably when he signed he Delf and Doyle would've been our top earners, since overtaken, and he wanted to go back in that bracket) and he didn't take it well. I've a bit more sympathy with him not wanting to become a bit part but there are ways to do it, and going off to non league in a October is not one of them. It doesn't scream leadership or club captain either.

TL;Dr thanks for the memories, but we'll be better off in the long run.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am

I don't buy that it was all about Plymouth. Something had to have been brewing before that. Possibly straw that broke the camels back. Doyle said there was an agreement between the clubs Sarce wouldn't play - which is against the rules of course - but he's Sarce's mate so presumably let slip. I find that odd. Why would you run scared of letting him play?

Anyhow its done and over and he's gone. We'll never know why. We just are very very light now till January and it just adds to the already mounting list of additions needed in January.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:34 am
Couple of things over the past week have tipped the dial for me from "we don't have enough information to tell so default is back the manager" to "looks more likely to me Sarc was a mard arse".
I think what tipped it that way for me was Sarce being a massive mard arse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Knowing nothing more than what's common knowlege: Looking at it impartially: Guy is honoured to be made club captain of Bolton Wanderers , manager full of praise for his attitude and efforts' playing well, capable of scoring and.....he suddenly leaves and drops two leagues down for a two year deal with..Stockport County. Manager maks a statement that nobody will argue with (or else?)...All a bit like an episode from "Stranger than fiction!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Chances are he knew he was either getting no deal or a deal he didn't like. Probably told Evatt he had better lined up at Stockport and Evatt told him to feck off to Stockport if that suited him better, otherwise buckle down and get on with it.

Nothing to see here, move along...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:06 pm

I’m not sure he was injured for Plymouth, suspect he was rested to be fitter for the weekend game against Gillingham (more winnable). But yeah he sounds like a right Fanny.

Still think someone who is less of a hot head would have kept him here until Jan at least…

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:01 am

Seems unlikely that Evatt would screw himself over like this unless he felt he didn't have any other option. We're kind of pissing in the wind with this speculation anyhow.

My thoughts are that some of us have been going in pretty hard on the team and manager in recent weeks, but are possibly underestimating how disruptive the Sarcevic business is likely to have been. Yes, injuries, squad depth and tactical failings are also clearly contributing to our poor form, but this was a really bizarre incident that I'm sure would have a serious impact on any team.

And beyond the likely psychological impact, we've lost a starting player who worked hard, put himself about a bit and offered a goal threat - all traits which we're now looking in desperately short supply of.

I think we need to cut Evatt and the players a bit of slack during this period.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:22 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:01 am
Seems unlikely that Evatt would screw himself over like this unless he felt he didn't have any other option. We're kind of pissing in the wind with this speculation anyhow.

My thoughts are that some of us have been going in pretty hard on the team and manager in recent weeks, but are possibly underestimating how disruptive the Sarcevic business is likely to have been. Yes, injuries, squad depth and tactical failings are also clearly contributing to our poor form, but this was a really bizarre incident that I'm sure would have a serious impact on any team.

And beyond the likely psychological impact, we've lost a starting player who worked hard, put himself about a bit and offered a goal threat - all traits which we're now looking in desperately short supply of.

I think we need to cut Evatt and the players a bit of slack during this period.
Agree we're sorta pissing in the wind. Don't agree we've been going in pretty hard on the team and manager, because of the Sarcevic business. We've been leaking 2 goals every other game, since the start of the season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:22 am
We've been leaking 2 goals every other game, since the start of the season.

Which is a tale hiding in plain sight in itself. Sarcevic isn't a defender and just one man, and it's our sloppy defensive play that loses games just as much as scoring goals wins them. We have the capabilities to score and win games, but as long as we keep taking our eye off the ball we'll keep sliding down a home-made Cresta run.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:07 am

What is it, two clean sheets in the league all season and we've shipped 3 or more in 4 games. We have some decent defenders, but our defending as a team is ....erm...indefensible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:55 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:07 am
What is it, two clean sheets in the league all season and we've shipped 3 or more in 4 games. We have some decent defenders, but our defending as a team is ....erm...indefensible.
Forget on the ball or attacking.

Off the ball. Defending - who would get in Wigan's team? Who do you think we've got who is a good defender?

Jones - defensively ok not brilliant.
Johnston - defensively a bit Tim Ream. Looks good. But is a bit hopeless at actually defending thus far.
Santos - defensively ok - he's good on recovery and in the air at times. But I'd not say he's one of the better defenders in this league.
John - not very good defensively at all.
Baps - a bit past it now
Aimson - not seen enough of him.

If you're looking at our last promotion then three out of 4 members of the OG back 4 are considerably, considerably better defenders than we've got.

Taylor - defensively leagues above John
Beevers - Way above any centre back
Wheater - ditto

So I'm really struggling to agree we've got decent defenders. If we have then they aren't playing well on a consistent basis.