Feeling Around the Club

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Feeling Around the Club

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm

I don't live in the area anymore and I'm left with a mixed bag of impressions from social media and talking to my mates. After last season things seemed overwhelmingly positive, how do things stand at the moment? I'm asking both how you feel personally and how people you know feel. I am mostly asking about the playing side as the owners still seem to enjoy a lot of support, even amongst those who are starting to mutter about the gaffer.

If you want to justify your position I'd find that really interesting, but I'm not demanding that of people - I'd just like to know where people stand. I'd also b interested to hear from people who have changed their mind about things in the last 15 games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Feeling Around the Club

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:56 pm

We came minutes from not existing. We started league two in embarrassing fashion and I feared we’d drop. Getting stuck in league two was always going to be bad news. Thankfully we didn’t. We play some nice stuff. And probably in reality we are ahead of where you’d reasonably expect.

So pretty positive. We all probably dreamt after a great start but reality is kicking in. Atmosphere in ground is positive and people are happy after a decade of turmoil. Over time we will find out what the scope is for progression from both manager and owners. But it’s a good position right now. Even though it’s clear our squad is too light for this league and will need remedial work.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:59 pm

I don't live in the area either but while we're taking the temperature:

I think Evatt is a promising manager, potentially brilliant, but has plenty to learn. His style of football and dedication to it is a tonic; it's currently a badly-needed tonic, because the defence can't defend and the attack can't reliably score, and basics like set-pieces scream out for improvement.

I think that, as usual, most fans are fairly temperate in their reactions - it's the more extreme ones that you hear, on either side of any divide. And while it shouldn't be a permanent excuse, given our last half-decade I sense most fans are merely shaking their heads at the craziness. Watching the defence at Plymouth stumble around like blinded goats, Prufrock summed it up well: "What a club." I think we're mostly still very glad our problems are say a non-league full-back rather than a malevolent owner trying to kill our club.

Obviously at any game, emotions will peak and we'll exclaim. Struggling with a sore throat, I was trying to stay quiet at Home Park until the officials' idiocy prompted me into ripping my voicebox. On a forum, it's also possible to seem more extreme than is the case, and besides people often calm down - for instance my old mate BWFCi seems today to be saying "we'll be reet".

IMO only an optimist or a fool would say there are no problems at all, but most folk seem to think we'll get by. Whether they'd say that if we lose another five on the bounce is to be seen, or rather, hopefully not.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:50 pm

There was frustration rather than anger at the game on Saturday. We could easily have gone 4 down and that might have tipped it, bit there was plenty of support too, even before the goals went in. I said last night that I don't think Evatt will be here next season, that's based on a feeling of unease that I can't shake, and it may just be a paranoid hangover from the last few years. (I was also pissed when I wrote it 😁)
I hope I'm wrong because that will mean he's still doing well.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:04 pm

Most fans locally are quite happy with were we are - there is a frustration with a few of our players not being good enough to play this Evatt system and that a few are simply just not good enough, but most are happy with a mid table finish.

Quite a few are disappointed that we loaned Politic out.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Well, we're in much better place than Gary Neville right now! But, he's been banging on about "no goals" mentality and we need some of that. Drawing three - three won't stay shiny forever, as entertaining as it is. No real sense of impending meltdown at the moment, though.

The Sarce thing. No real sense that it's created a huge problem, but you'd hope we could manage that situation better, if it was the Contract, it's hardly unique. If the Club response to expiring contracts is to immediately exit the player, we're in trouble, so hopefully it's a one off.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:09 pm
If the Club response to expiring contracts is to immediately exit the player, we're in trouble, so hopefully it's a one off.
Heh! Indeed, although how many of the expiring contracts – Baptiste, Greenidge, Edwards, Gordon, Lee, Tutte, Comley, Crawford and Delfouneso, plus some kids including Politic and Thomason - would we be truly distraught to lose?

Not of course that I suggest we fire them all into the sun simultaneously tomorrow afternoon, but it's not like we have a big list of potential losses. I'd like to keep Tomo and Dennis but from the overage lot, obviously assuming we can replace them with better (god knows in some cases we'd struggle to find worse), I can only really see Sexy Kieran here next season, and he's 34 in summer.

And that, friends, creates a lot more elbow room to develop the squad upwards.

(WIlliams technically expires next summer too but has an appearance-triggered extension clause which will surely be activated)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:24 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:09 pm
If the Club response to expiring contracts is to immediately exit the player, we're in trouble, so hopefully it's a one off.
Heh! Indeed, although how many of the expiring contracts – Baptiste, Greenidge, Edwards, Gordon, Lee, Tutte, Comley, Crawford and Delfouneso, plus some kids including Politic and Thomason - would we be truly distraught to lose?

Not of course that I suggest we fire them all into the sun simultaneously tomorrow afternoon, but it's not like we have a big list of potential losses. I'd like to keep Tomo and Dennis but from the overage lot, obviously assuming we can replace them with better (god knows in some cases we'd struggle to find worse), I can only really see Sexy Kieran here next season, and he's 34 in summer.

And that, friends, creates a lot more elbow room to develop the squad upwards.

(WIlliams technically expires next summer too but has an appearance-triggered extension clause which will surely be activated)
If Sarce had gone in Jan, then no problem from me...but given our lack of goals, not to be able to resolve it until the window ain't great. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 pm
If Sarce had gone in Jan, then no problem from me...but given our lack of goals, not to be able to resolve it until the window ain't great. :-)
Oh true, all agreed. Just saying that there's not so many we'd weep to lose.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:23 pm

It seems a long time ago when I left Portman Road, blown away by a free flowing, attacking performance and a group of players, staff and supporters all in unity.

Defeats against Rotherham, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday, whilst disappointing I didn't view them as major setbacks. We were still playing good stuff. There's definitely been something missing in the last 3 games though. Creating fewer chances, looking shakier than ever at the back and no longer dominating worthwhile possession.

I'm hopeful this is just a blip and not significant of any long term issues. I trust Evatt and FV to steer us through whatever it is.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm
I don't live in the area anymore and I'm left with a mixed bag of impressions from social media and talking to my mates. After last season things seemed overwhelmingly positive, how do things stand at the moment? I'm asking both how you feel personally and how people you know feel. I am mostly asking about the playing side as the owners still seem to enjoy a lot of support, even amongst those who are starting to mutter about the gaffer.

If you want to justify your position I'd find that really interesting, but I'm not demanding that of people - I'd just like to know where people stand. I'd also b interested to hear from people who have changed their mind about things in the last 15 games.
Things are still seemingly very positive. The news that broke is somewhat startling and indicative of larger problems that may be a precursor to a larger issue. How this matter has managed to unfold is the most bewildering and hopefully something that can hopefully be avoided in the future.

Going from almost out of existence to a genuine threat and heading in the right direction is great. We've got problems at the club but the club seems very much on track to tackle those.

The speculation against the gaffer is to be expected given the lack of information afforded to supporters. The fans are behind the club and have high expectations. I think generally the fans are in support of the playing style and how good we can be but are bearing the frustrations between the build up and the actually delivery of this. In certain circumstances we'd like to see highly effective attacking as opposed to risky possession plays but given Evatt's success we can get behind his overall tactical ideology.

It's a work in progress. I feel great about the progression of the club and find it very surprising that something like this has come about. It seems completely out of the blue. When I initially heard the news of Sarcevic transferring to Stockport I laughed it off. It's not funny now.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:56 pm

I admit to feeling a bit embarrassed re some hyperbolic ennui at around 4.20pm last Saturday. Am delighted we got something out the game and much improved performance thereafter.
Guess what sticks is for the 1st time being disappointed with our chair/management for how the Sarce incident played out but maybe that's a good sign in itself, esp. after previous nr decade of proper woes. One thing for sure though - no way this was an isolated incident that only happened last week. Unless we hear more I'll be giving Sarce a cheer, and then be delighted when we paste 'em... (apologies for mixing thread content:)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Another bad day to be a Wanderer. On the plus side, we've got 4 teams in the bottom half in our next 5 games and three of those are currently the bottom 3. We will either be cheerier or absolutely in a relegation scrap after those. Er.....yay.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:49 pm

Seemed as good a thread as any to post this from the man a few may remember as a player but I just recall his heavy breathing and inconsistent commentary from last season:
https://twitter.com/henchontheradio/sta ... 17572?s=21

What’s got his back up?

Edit, seems to be some kerfuffle around Tony Kelly leaving…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:34 pm

Carefully worded this - stuff on Twitter and F365 does not look good. League 1 manager implicated in blackmail and gambling court case.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:47 pm

I see the story, but not the Club connection?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:52 pm

Hmm yeah it would be bad if this is Evatt. The whole banning gambling advertising thing would make a lot of sense with this context…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:12 pm

Bet it isn't...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:14 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:52 pm
Hmm yeah it would be bad if this is Evatt. The whole banning gambling advertising thing would make a lot of sense with this context…
Why? The manager involved dropped the case.

Whatever the backstory it’s not exactly relevant to now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:28 pm

Well, whoever the manager is, it will be bad for him if Rogers is as hell-bent on revenge as he sounds. I bow to the better legal knowledge of others on here but as I understand it, if Rogers is suing for defamation in a civil court, the manager may not be granted the anonymity he had in this case, where he was plaintiff rather than defendant.

It's entirely possible Rogers won't win and will simply burn through more money pursuing his vengeance fantasy – but then if his main desire is unmasking his accuser, then perhaps the verdict won't matter much to him.

The manager will have to hope he has an understanding chairman and fanbase, and that future employers (and, to a lesser extent, employees) won't be put off by the flapping of dirty laundry.