Pompey and Circumstances...V. Portsmouth away Sat 30th Oct 3.O'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pompey and Circumstances...V. Portsmouth away Sat 30th Oct 3.O'clock

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:07 pm

I think I’ve got more chance of scoring for us than Kachunga!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 pm

Honestly, we tried something. We were better than we have been at times lately, but Evatt should never have broken up that partnership of John and Dapo down the left.

It's one of those where I was too wound up about the game to properly analyse it, but they were not good and we could (should) have beaten them. The manager can take plenty of blame, but so can the players. Too many errors again.

We have got to get someone in who can coach set pieces. It's no longer funny and Evatt saying he just doesn't care for it won't hold. It'll cost him his job eventually. You can't just not bother with one of the most important parts of the game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:29 pm

If we make a list of players we have who are definitely good enough for this level…mine would be.

John
Isgrove
Santos
Johnston
Lee
MJ
Dapo
Doyle
Jones

After that I’m starting to scratch my head. You can put question marks against a few of those too. Doyle, Santos, Isgrove. Not sure any are necessarily good enough for what an Evatt team wants. Lee is 34 and MJ a booking away from a suspension.

So I think our issues are pretty self apparent. We have a small squad and lack quality. And one of our better first team players just went to Stockport. January looks huge to me. It’s a rebuild. Not a tweak. A major rebuild job. 6 in absolute minimum.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 pm

We have got to get someone in who can coach set pieces. It's no longer funny and Evatt saying he just doesn't care for it won't hold. It'll cost him his job eventually. You can't just not bother with one of the most important parts of the game.
What did he say about it? Have wondered if he sees it as a bit grubby and beneath his purist principles.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:33 pm

The losses of late are going to hurt us eventually. Pompey are now level with us, whereas a win today would have left us six points clear of them. Every game now really is a cup final. He who hesitates, etc.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:36 pm

I think it’s next month that’s big now - losses to Crewe, Donny, Cheltenham could put them nearer or even above us - then it’s alarm bells. If the season finished tomorrrow you would take lower mid table.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:37 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:32 pm
What did he say about it? Have wondered if he sees it as a bit grubby and beneath his purist principles.
Only know what I read people post on here, that he doesn't enjoy working on them and would rather focus on open play.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:29 pm
If we make a list of players we have who are definitely good enough for this level…
I don't think we have 20-odd crap players, I think we just don't have 11 that make a good team.

It's starting to look like a Megson squad. A lot of willing and very little imagination or spark.

I do think we can tweak our way to a solid position, but if we want to be genuinely good then yeah, we need about 6-8 players.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:51 pm

23rd in the form table. Only Crewe worse in the last 6 games.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:51 pm
So you're saying we've not bottomed out yet?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:58 pm

4 points off the drop zone. Seriously time to start fighting and grinding results out. Can’t keep giving goals away. Start with clean sheets then try and nick some goals. Open and expansive football is not where we are at right now. This is a fight and we are being sucked under.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:52 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:51 pm
So you're saying we've not bottomed out yet?
Loss in the next league game will do it 😂

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Oh and Evatts blaming injuries…well Ian maybe falling out with your captain and goal scoring midfielder wasn’t the best idea then dickhead…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:07 pm
Oh and Evatts blaming injuries…
We have, what, 3 injured players? Baka, Jones and Amaechi. Did I miss anyone?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
If we make a list of players we have who are definitely good enough for this level…mine would be.

John
Isgrove
Santos
Johnston
Lee
MJ
Dapo
Doyle
Jones

After that I’m starting to scratch my head. You can put question marks against a few of those too. Doyle, Santos, Isgrove. Not sure any are necessarily good enough for what an Evatt team wants. Lee is 34 and MJ a booking away from a suspension.

So I think our issues are pretty self apparent. We have a small squad and lack quality. And one of our better first team players just went to Stockport. January looks huge to me. It’s a rebuild. Not a tweak. A major rebuild job. 6 in absolute minimum.
Yep, not much to argue with there. I think Sheehan *could* be good at this level but he's not "definitely" so here we are, without enough "definitely good enough" players to make an XI. The worry for me is that the above list only included one name we first hired this summer, because as you say we need another window more like last January.

Evatt needs to instill defensive organisation and will, and the set-piece ignorance is now becoming dangerous. We're sliding badly now, conceding every game and rarely scoring. It's a bad combo. And it's two months to the window.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

John
Isgrove
Santos
Johnston
Lee
MJ
Dapo
Doyle
Jones

Yep, not much to argue with there. I think Sheehan *could* be good at this level but he's not "definitely" so here we are, without enough "definitely good enough" players to make an XI. The worry for me is that the above list only included one name we first hired this summer, because as you say we need another window more like last January.

Evatt needs to instill defensive organisation and will, and the set-piece ignorance is now becoming dangerous. We're sliding badly now, conceding every game and rarely scoring. It's a bad combo. And it's two months to the window.
Sheehan is one I’d let go. Not a chance he’s a midfield player in league one for an IE side and he’s far too ineffective in the number 10 role to play that. So for me he’s one of our poorer signings. Initial promise but he’s technically good but has no running or power in him and those qualities are why he’s not played at this level much before and why he was bumming it in Newport.

We need to get real. We are facing sides that are physically stronger than us and we first off have to match that. If we can’t then doesn’t matter how much football we play. Our height is a major issue. January has to be focussed on making us stronger, more physical and of course maximising set plays.

Evatt needs some help and needs better than Kachunga being his number one target. We’ve seen what league one is now and it’s not a league for passengers who occasionally chip in with a nice touch. You need to match sides up. We aren’t doing and are suffering as a result.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
If we make a list of players we have who are definitely good enough for this level…
But Sheehan. What's happened? I was thinking he was the find of the last 20 years not so long ago, yet last week he was the proverbial 'bloke who won a competition'. Now, good players don't become bad players overnight, they do get asked to perform tasks they weren't initially signed for though.

You mentioned earlier that Evatt isn't beyond being questioned, and right now have several. Tango's question from earlier today is absolutely at the forefront of my mind just now: 1-0 down with 20 minutes left, why replace Isgrove with Brockbank rather that putting one behind the other? If Isgrove has picked up a knock then fair enough, however, if he hasn't then I think we're due an explanation which Mr Evatt, given recent remarks, doesn't seem to think we're entitled to.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
But Sheehan. What's happened? I was thinking he was the find of the last 20 years not so long ago, yet last week he was the proverbial 'bloke who won a competition'. Now, good players don't become bad players overnight, they do get asked to perform tasks they weren't initially signed for though.

You mentioned earlier that Evatt isn't beyond being questioned, and right now have several. Tango's question from earlier today is absolutely at the forefront of my mind just now: 1-0 down with 20 minutes left, why replace Isgrove with Brockbank rather that putting one behind the other? If Isgrove has picked up a knock then fair enough, however, if he hasn't then I think we're due an explanation which Mr Evatt doesn't seem to think we're entitled to.
Sheehan is quite simple for me. He’s not a midfield player. He can’t cover the ground. Early season perhaps adrenaline kicked in. But now, we look light when he’s there. And he could play the number 10 role but a bit like Ali Crawford last season I’m not sure he’s good enough for it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:38 pm

There's nothing wrong with Sheehan, but we knew when we signed him that he was the lad to dictate attacking patterns in a more robust side. At Newport he had Labadie with him and legs/power in front of him.

His best games for us have been with Williams and Sarce, he struggles with Lee in there because they are both finesse players. He was especially good when he also had Baka and John giving him options.

As the team gets more lightweight he gets less and less effective. Not sure that's something you can fix, you just have to accept that he needs a platform.

The reason he's not a 10 for us is, again, we've no physicality up top to make space for him.

*edit*

This is another reason why losing Sarce was a kick in the balls. His running made Lee and Sheehan better.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:54 pm

I do wonder if we might get the Evatt version of the Sarce story by default soon. As it stands I think he’s cut his nose off to spite his face by not backing down and managing the situation like an adult, and it’s costing us points. Surely there will be a rough press conference which will get a reaction soon - Iles has just let him get away with the 3 injuries leading to no plan B today.