Who should we jog on in January? (2022 version)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Which of these players should we try to get rid of in the next window?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:31 pm

Alex Baptiste
6%
Brandon Comley
15%
Ali Crawford
14%
Nathan Delfouneso
10%
Liam Edwards
10%
Liam Gordon
7%
Reiss Greenidge
16%
Kieran Lee
No votes
Dennis Politic
1%
George Thomason
1%
Andrew Tutte
6%
MJ Williams
No votes
Will Aimson*
No votes
Harry Brockbank*
7%
Ronan Darcy*
No votes
Eoin Doyle*
1%
Lloyd Isgrove*
No votes
Gethin Jones*
No votes
Elias Kachunga*
6%
Josh Sheehan*
No votes

Total votes: 145

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who should we jog on in January? (2022 version)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:23 pm
But less than we would have to stay for the whole contract.
You hope but unless he's got a gig elsewhere why would he go in that scenario?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Why would we pay him off if he didn't?

He'll have got a big chunk of what we'd have paid him anyway, plus the chance to go somewhere else, play, and earn more.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:29 pm

Both parties must feel it benefits them, or it wouldn't have happened. Best of luck to the lad. He's about the turn 26 and has plenty of time to prove that he has a skill set that can be valuable at another league club.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Interesting. @BWFCi, we will certainly have come to a compromise somewhere between 100% and 0% of what we owed him - hence "mutual consent". Literally cutting our losses.

Writing has been on the wall for a while but when Comley wasn't in last night's squad it surprised me a little. Now I see why.

No malice toward him, good luck. He'll probably end up at whoever we get in the FA Cup Second Round...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Good luck to Comley, it just didn't work out.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:42 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:40 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:34 pm
What if we've used them and seen they're not up to it?
Burn them?
Now we're talking. Proper management.

Comley, Gordon, Greenidge, Tutte, Edwards, Crawford, Brocky, Delf could all have my best wishes at their future Clubs. (Think I've missed someone, but it's quite the list for a January)...

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Doyler go.
I would be very surprised to see Doyle go. He’s not firing at the moment, but unless he’s done a Sarce I can’t see him going mid-season.
Yeah, I was coming from the angle that maybe we hadn't opened "dialogue" around new contract with him either. When the Sarce "thing" broke, there were rumours it was a "Sarce and Doyle" thing....so speculation on my part, but as said, wouldn't be entirely surprised... :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:14 pm

Doyle was given a three-year contract in summer 2020. All the asterisked players are contracted to 2023.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:37 pm

There are clubs that would pay for Doyle's services and weird things happen in football. I don't think many players are safe. I don't expect him to leave, but at the same time he's not ideally suited to how we play and he's not scoring enough goals (even last season Evatt wanted more goals from him). We are not where Evatt wants us to be and we may see casualties. If Sarce is "free to leave" outside a window then it's the wild west.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Yeah, I don't think there's a single departure that could surprise me. Either they're good and we cash in, or they're seen as surplus and allowed to churn, or they get tempted by a big bag of money. It's alright, the club carries on. After a summer of evolution rather than revolution, particularly by our recent standards, I'm intrigued to see how a fresh infusion might work.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:04 pm

I think I'd go as far as to say I'd be surprised if Doyle went, but I wouldn't be astonished. I hope they helps.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:04 pm
I think I'd go as far as to say I'd be surprised if Doyle went, but I wouldn't be astonished. I hope they helps.
Hmm, could you give us three examples of things where you've not been surprised, three where you have been surprised and three where you've been astonished, that we could relate to? I'm not sure where you're setting the bar...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:26 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Hmm, could you give us three examples of things where you've not been surprised, three where you have been surprised and three where you've been astonished, that we could relate to? I'm not sure where you're setting the bar...
Not surprised - Klasnic leaving
Surprised - Curcic leaving
Astonished - Sarcevic leaving

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:26 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Not surprised - Klasnic leaving
Surprised - Curcic leaving
Astonished - Sarcevic leaving
I think Worthy will understand better if the examples are who bought a round of drinks :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:10 pm

No, I can relate to that :-)

Now we've got a sensible scale, I'd ba a lot nearer a Klasnic than a Sarcevic :-)

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:40 pm

The worry is if Dapo jogs on. Let's hope not.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:37 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:40 pm
Yep. He’ll most certainly have Championship clubs interested in acquiring his talents. It’s not just his 7 goals and 2 assists in 16 league games that is bound to be raising eyebrows, but also his work rate off the ball and strength in the tackle.

The great news is his contract is until 2024 so somebody will have to cough up a substantial fee if they want him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:56 am

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:37 am
knobpolisher wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:40 pm
Yep. He’ll most certainly have Championship clubs interested in acquiring his talents. It’s not just his 7 goals and 2 assists in 16 league games that is bound to be raising eyebrows, but also his work rate off the ball and strength in the tackle.

The great news is his contract is until 2024 so somebody will have to cough up a substantial fee if they want him.
Can't see it yet, but could be wrong. Clubs will be monitoring for sure, but I don't think the kind of fee we will demand will be justifiable to other clubs yet - especially with the January tax. In the summer, that's the worry. If he keeps playing like this then there will be interest and if he doesn't sign an extension he will be much cheaper the following summer.

This is the reality of becoming a selling club, though. We sign players, develop them and then get at most one really good season before some bigger fish bites.

If we went up I think he'd sign an extension and take his chances of showcasing for a properly big move. He will back himself to be a Premier League player in the future.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:25 am

If Dapo is sold for big money I’m not sure that’s a negative. We need to rebuild and ultimately if he continues as he is he won’t be here too long.

Maximising his fee is the key. If he dips in form it’s a moot point anyway.

The club has clung onto players historically and paid a high price. Sell while they are hot and reinvest. It’s different t if we were closer to the top spots. But this season if a suitably large offer arrives I think it would be a positive.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:25 am
If Dapo is sold for big money I’m not sure that’s a negative.
No, you are right, it's an active positive for the business model - it just sucks as a fan if he's banging in wonder goals.

The core of our squad, if we have one, will be made up of players like Santos, Williams, Sheehan, Bakayoko, John, Jones etc who are still young enough to improve before their prime years, but have enough career baggage not to be tempting targets for bigger clubs. Those are the types that will establish your club culture. It's not quite that simple when you're moving up through divisions, as that's likely to lead to unusually high turnover of players, but generally those are your mainstay players in our kind of model.

If we get in younger lads who start putting out great numbers they will be gone fairly quickly, but if would be nice if Dapo could help fire us up a division before we sell him for his weight in gold.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:55 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:25 am
If Dapo is sold for big money I’m not sure that’s a negative.
No, you are right, it's an active positive for the business model - it just sucks as a fan if he's banging in wonder goals.

The core of our squad, if we have one, will be made up of players like Santos, Williams, Sheehan, Bakayoko, John, Jones etc who are still young enough to improve before their prime years, but have enough career baggage not to be tempting targets for bigger clubs. Those are the types that will establish your club culture. It's not quite that simple when you're moving up through divisions, as that's likely to lead to unusually high turnover of players, but generally those are your mainstay players in our kind of model.

If we get in younger lads who start putting out great numbers they will be gone fairly quickly, but if would be nice if Dapo could help fire us up a division before we sell him for his weight in gold.
Its how we use the money. Big cash for Dapo and reinvest across the squad I suspect might potentially leave us stronger overall.

I don't want to lose our better players but we need to be a trading club and right now Dapo might be close to peak value. Hang onto him too long as we've seen in the past is disastrous.