Who should we jog on in January? (2022 version)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Which of these players should we try to get rid of in the next window?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:31 pm

Alex Baptiste
6%
Brandon Comley
15%
Ali Crawford
14%
Nathan Delfouneso
10%
Liam Edwards
10%
Liam Gordon
7%
Reiss Greenidge
16%
Kieran Lee
No votes
Dennis Politic
1%
George Thomason
1%
Andrew Tutte
6%
MJ Williams
No votes
Will Aimson*
No votes
Harry Brockbank*
7%
Ronan Darcy*
No votes
Eoin Doyle*
1%
Lloyd Isgrove*
No votes
Gethin Jones*
No votes
Elias Kachunga*
6%
Josh Sheehan*
No votes

Total votes: 145

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Who should we jog on in January? (2022 version)

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:07 pm

What value a Per Frandsen? There's a good example of holding on to someone too long then not getting the true value of the player.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:26 am

Bump, with a reminder that you can change your vote at any time, even if already cast.

(For reference, the first 12 players were out of contract in summer at the time the poll was set; asterisked players were already contracted to summer 2023, and have now been joined by MJ, Thomason and Lee. We're only allowed 20 spaces in a poll so I've omitted Santos, whose contract is also to summer 2023, plus the three who were tied down to 2024: Dapo Afolayan, Declan John and George Johnston - Gethin has since joined them. Voting open until Feb 1.)
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:26 am
Bump, with a reminder that you can change your vote at any time, even if already cast.

(For reference, the first 12 players were out of contract in summer; asterisked players are contracted to summer 2023. We're only allowed 20 spaces so I've omitted Santos, whose contract is also to summer 2023, plus the three who are tied down to 2024: Dapo Afolayan, Declan John and George Johnston. Voting open until Feb 1.)
I've added on Thomason (nice lad but so far away from what we need) and Baps and Gordon to facilitate what needs to be a very serious and major rebuild. I'd not be sad if Sheehan went either but if he stays we need the right balance in midfield.

Johnston for me can do one. He might be under contract but I'd be seeing if we can get shot. Rest under contract are ok.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am
I've added on Thomason (nice lad but so far away from what we need) and Baps and Gordon to facilitate what needs to be a very serious and major rebuild. I'd not be sad if Sheehan went either but if he stays we need the right balance in midfield.

Johnston for me can do one. He might be under contract but I'd be seeing if we can get shot. Rest under contract are ok.
I had Baps and Gordon on the out-list from the start (along with Comley, Crawford, Delf, Edwards, Greenidge, Tutte and Brockbank). Nothing against them personally but we need room for better players than them, and indeed the first-teamers somehow managing to keep them out. I know it's unlikely we'll be able to rehome Baps but those logistics are outside the scope of this thought experiment, which is who you'd shift if you could.

Thomason... he's 19. There is a player there, just arguably not what we need right now (although we need all the midfielders we can get so he'll have to do). I would be looking to send him on a D4 loan to see how/if he can develop with regular gametime - although obviously that depends on us getting new men in, which again is outside this remit.

Must admit I was a bit surprised to see Johnston elevated above Aimson last night, knowing Quigley would look for the weak link. Sadly, when he did come on, Aimson fit right in by being as cack as the rest. But for me he is at least a shade nearer the Taggart type I so want and we so need.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am

I had Baps and Gordon on the out-list from the start (along with Comley, Crawford, Delf, Edwards, Greenidge, Tutte and Brockbank). Nothing against them personally but we need room for better players than them, and indeed the first-teamers somehow managing to keep them out. I know it's unlikely we'll be able to rehome Baps but those logistics are outside the scope of this thought experiment, which is who you'd shift if you could.

Thomason... he's 19. There is a player there, just arguably not what we need right now (although we need all the midfielders we can get so he'll have to do). I would be looking to send him on a D4 loan to see how/if he can develop with regular gametime - although obviously that depends on us getting new men in, which again is outside this remit.

Must admit I was a bit surprised to see Johnston elevated above Aimson last night, knowing Quigley would look for the weak link. Sadly, when he did come on, Aimson fit right in by being as cack as the rest. But for me he is at least a shade nearer the Taggart type I so want and we so need.
He's more robust but I'm far from convinced yet by Aimson. I fear in a few months the tag Will Aimless might be the in thing as he often drifts out of position gets nowhere near the ball and leaves us open. But its early days with him. Needs a proper chance.

I've had it with Johnston because I've seen loads like him before - and his deficiencies IMO are purely down to physique - they can't be trained into him. He could learn to read the game better but I can't see that happening here frankly as Santos needs a reader of the game along side him as that's NOT his game either.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am
He's more robust but I'm far from convinced yet by Aimson. I fear in a few months the tag Will Aimless might be the in thing as he often drifts out of position gets nowhere near the ball and leaves us open. But its early days with him. Needs a proper chance.
I'm far from convinced either, but I feel better with him in the team because IMO he's the closest we've got to the sort of defend-first defender you and I both want.

His goals-against record, although a small sample, is also better than most. He played the second half against Gillingham (zero conceded), 72 minutes at Pompey (one conceded, not his fault), and 90 minutes v Crewe (clean sheet). Obviously last night spoiled that – his passing was notably woeful – but I don't think we can pile the blame solely upon him for last night's debacle.

It might feel like deckchair rearrangement but I'd definitely pair him with Santos until January at least. If he's first choice in February it's either great news (he's combining solidity with long passing) or terrible (we haven't strengthened at all).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am

I've had it with Johnston because I've seen loads like him before - and his deficiencies IMO are purely down to physique - they can't be trained into him. He could learn to read the game better but I can't see that happening here frankly as Santos needs a reader of the game along side him as that's NOT his game either.
Santos needs Andy O'Brien next to him.

Johnston's display against Stockport was mostly coachable mistakes, but feck me does he make a lot of them. There was one with Quigley where he was in a good position and then stepped up past his man who was still being played on by Santos, on whose blind side they were. The ball goes to Quigley exactly where Johnston had been stood and it's game over for both centre backs. People were then talking about him being outmuscled, but it was a positional mistake because he was overeager to step up and win the ball.

I don't rate it as a partnership, but he's 16 starts into his first full season and I'm not writing him off.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:23 pm

I'm still happy with my 10 checked boxes :)

I'm tempted to add a couple more, but I want to give them at least until the New Year to see if they do have something about them or not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:23 pm

I'm tempted to add a couple more, but I want to give them at least until the New Year to see if they do have something about them or not.
Who are you wavering on? Or in journo-speak, to whom has AT thrown down the managerial gauntlet?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:25 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Who are you wavering on? Or in journo-speak, to whom has AT thrown down the managerial gauntlet?
Easy ones first...

Politic and Darcy - would like to see what both can do. Either back here in January or through getting a decent amount of playing time on loan. I don't see either as the answer right now, but too early to discard for me.

Thomason - Ideally get out on loan, but not ready at the moment for me

Sheehan I've waivered on. My question is can we make good use of his talent with the players around him or any we might bring in. Last night aside, we feel weaker with him in and is maybe a luxury we can't afford in current circumstances.

Aimson I haven't seen enough of. As a backup he might be fine, but we need more than backup right now. Assuming we can't shift Baps in January and Johnston might need a loan somewhere maybe we need to shift him on to make space for a couple of ready now good enough types. I want to see a big nasty barsteward that is going to frighten the opposition and maybe one or two of our own :)

That leaves me keeping Lee, Williams, Isgrove, Doyle and Jones. I think we need upgrades on Isgrove and Doyle, but both are perfectly serviceable squad players. I agree we need someone to help MJ. As bad as Lee was last night, he's not really the issue at the moment.

So, in summary I'm close to get shot of more or less the lot :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Apologies for punctuation - I'm on a quick coffee break :)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Cheers - all reasonable, even if I don't necessarily agree. Such is forum life :D