What is "success" for Bolton over the next 5 years?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What is "success" for Bolton over the next 5 years?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:31 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:22 am
I have no idea why fans would care where our players come from. I can see that a business model would be better with homegrown but for fans success is on the pitch and whether home grown or imported it’s the same.
For some people supporting a football club is partially about being part of a community, and not just a form of detached entertainment. A lot of people feel more connected to their team when there are players who come from their area. If you don't care about this then fine, but it's surely something you must be well aware is incredibly common.
I suspect you can count on your hand the number who would say they would swap the Okochas and Anelkas for some home grown players. I don’t think fans care in the main at all so long as they see success or enjoy the match day experience. It’s also a pretty difficult line to draw. Probably our best home grown player in recent times is Nolan but for some he’d not count as he was signed as a teen rather than coming through the academy.

Really think it’s a complete non issue as an academy these days will be filled with some local lads but probably ones from further afield too. And in league one in Bolton’s geographic situation I think you are far far too limited if you focus on brining players through in the main.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:09 pm

And indeed, there have been a few instances of players getting released before they got a chance and gone to better things elsewhere.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:25 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:09 pm
And indeed, there have been a few instances of players getting released before they got a chance and gone to better things elsewhere.
I'm struggling a bit on this one. Players like Bash and Walters, for example dropped down a couple of Divs from the Prem and a good few years later made it back. Bash probably wasn't displacing the CDs at the time and nor was Walters. Both played in the Prem, but weren't likely to get regular starts when we unloaded them. I'm struggling to get a long list of hidden gems...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:25 pm
jmjhb wrote:
I'm struggling a bit on this one. Players like Bash and Walters, for example dropped down a couple of Divs from the Prem and a good few years later made it back. Bash probably wasn't displacing the CDs at the time and nor was Walters. Both played in the Prem, but weren't likely to get regular starts when we unloaded them. I'm struggling to get a long list of hidden gems...
Aaron Ramsdale was apparently on our books from 10 to 15, and David Brooks failed a Wanderers trial. Mind, so did Alan Ball, so it depends how far back you go. TBF, the OP only said "a few". How many's a few? For some reason I've always thought five. Add them three in and we're there :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:25 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Aaron Ramsdale was apparently on our books from 10 to 15, and David Brooks failed a Wanderers trial. Mind, so did Alan Ball, so it depends how far back you go. TBF, the OP only said "a few". How many's a few? For some reason I've always thought five. Add them three in and we're there :mrgreen:
Aye, I've heard of Alan Ball. No real Sanchos or Pogbas as far as I know...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:20 pm

Honestly, the previous performance of the academy no longer matters. Well-run academies work. All over the world you have teams who make it work.

The academy has been rejigged along with the first team set up and we finally have a manager who actively wants to be involved in development.

It'll be a long process to build a successful set up, but it looks like the club wants to do so. We have the facilities there, so we should make the best possible use of them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:20 pm
Honestly, the previous performance of the academy no longer matters. Well-run academies work. All over the world you have teams who make it work.

The academy has been rejigged along with the first team set up and we finally have a manager who actively wants to be involved in development.

It'll be a long process to build a successful set up, but it looks like the club wants to do so. We have the facilities there, so we should make the best possible use of them.
Aye. It's also... well, it wasn't exactly nice to lose Euxton, but in some ways having the boys and men at the same HQ helps that "pathway" feeling. In the shadow of the stadium, too. Not as hard for a kid to imagine hopping over to a different pitch, if he does his graft and learns his craft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Two clean sheets in a row.