Will This Sinking Ship Go Down With The Crewe? Crewe Alexandra (H) 12.11.21 8pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will This Sinking Ship Go Down With The Crewe? Crewe Alexandra (H) 12.11.21 8pm

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:11 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:49 pm
Just as we see the referee, Santos and Lee swap spit, anyone else think that Isgrove has played a blinder?
Yes on Isgrove. MOTM for me, even though faded a little (unsurprisingly)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Will This Sinking Ship Go Down With The Crewe? Crewe Alexandra (H) 12.11.21 8pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Great win that tonight even against a poor Crewe side (under some pressure although only from the likes of me !), so well done IE and the team especially 2nd half - as Nicho said we do need to move the ball quicker from back to front but much better that for me.

We can now all enjoy the weekend.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:07 pm
Positives:

1. We did what we needed to do to get ourselves out of a rut.

2. We kept a clean sheet.

3. Ameachi came through his few minutes unscathed

4. We looked comfortable throughout

Negatives:

1. Against almost certainly the easiest opposition this league has to offer, it took an unforced error by their centre-half for us to take the lead

2. The now familiar lack of urgency and creativity, particularly through the middle - Evatt is a self-confessed admirer of Guardiola but Guardiola's teams don't take so long to get forward
Yeah was a strange one. Decent win, but couple of defensive panic moments and they hit the post. Felt like we needed pen. Not vintage, but a well welcome win and a clean sheet.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Pleased with the energy we showed right through. Isgrove made a real difference . Not sure Kachunga is an anwer, but he may have looked better had Doyle played. Chuffed for the big man. Good result. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Isgrove was excellent. Kachunga had a good game. Baka looked rusty but a presence up front which was welcome. We need more confidence going forward like Isgrove does. Its unbelievable looking at our corners. We tend to pass it backwards most of the times when we get them until it ends up at Dixons feet. Remarkable! Aimson played ok but is so right footed that he plays Dapo out of the game, always going right instead of left. Towards the end we struggled to keep a clean sheet. A better side would have scored. But a wonderful 3 pts. Have a good evening guys.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Interesting point re Dapo ICB - he barely touched the ball second half, but when he had it in the first he was cutting them open at will! I thought he was marked well by Crewe but I couldn’t work out why he didn’t make more of the space when we were two up. He’s allowed an off day! But yeah maybe Aimson playing is an issue for him, but he usually comes central looking for it.

Anyway, we needed the win. Better team won. Great!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Happy with that. Banana skin avoided and up to 10th (for a few hours).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:34 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Positives:

Negatives:

1. Against almost certainly the easiest opposition this league has to offer, it took an unforced error by their centre-half for us to take the lead

2. The now familiar lack of urgency and creativity, particularly through the middle - Evatt is a self-confessed admirer of Guardiola but Guardiola's teams don't take so long to get forward
Good assessment. Totally agree.

A couple of extra positives;

Aimson played well and provided further aerial presence.
Kachunga seems to be getting fitter and sharper.
We're 3 points and another week nearer the transfer window.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:35 pm

We came out after Evatt obviously read them the riot act and played with tempo and intensity after half time. Then stopped again. We look unstoppable when we go for it. When we try and put the handbrake on we don’t. First half was awful. Truly awful. But shows the power of not conceding goals.

Onwards and upwards from here. Have to take some confidence and play as we came out in the second half more. Crewe are the worst team I’ve seen in a while but you can only beat what’s in front of you.

If a few more could find Isgroves spirit to just keep going I think we will be fine.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:34 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Positives:

Negatives:

Good assessment. Totally agree.

A couple of extra positives;

Aimson played well and provided further aerial presence.
Kachunga seems to be getting fitter and sharper.
We're 3 points and another week nearer the transfer window.

I agree on Kachunga. The second half was his best spell of football for us since signing. The major caveat is that it was against a team that are very likely to get relegated but hopefully Sunday's goal and tonight's performance boosts his confidence.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:46 pm

Wasn't there tonight but that's much needed.
Pleased to hear Lloyd had a good un. Love that scrappy little bastard.
. Hopevthis is something of a turnaround for kachunga and he cam do it against better teams too.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:49 am

Unfortunately didn’t catch the game as I was out in Brighton but what a way to start the weekend :mrgreen:

Let’s go beat Stockport now :oyea:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:58 am

Enjoyed the game and then reading this thread. Kachunga is going to end up being Evatt's Kevin Davies at this rate. People watching the same game - some rate him and some can't see what he offers. KD is a legend now, but I remember the flack he used to get when he was actually kicking a ball for us. Kachunga was excellent again tonight. He set the press, retained the ball and got at his man. His defensive work is ridiculous....he was at left back at one point having tracked his man and he intercepted a through ball there. Biggest issue with him tonight was he should have scored at least one. He had chances for some easy tap ins but got his positioning wrong.

The tweak to our shape out of possession was really, really important tonight. That 4-4-2 block with Lee up top worked really well and when we pressed from it we won a lot of ball.

We kept a clean sheet, but as importantly we showed we can win a game when Dapo isn't on it. He had a brief spell where he looked like he might get into the game, but he was a shadow tonight.

This was a game where the summer signings stood up and made a massive difference. Baka won the pen and scored. Kachunga and Sheehan ran the team - Kachunga from the front and Sheehan at the heart of it all.

The whole "dire, awful, woeful" first half stuff is nonsense. Everything was there in the first half except the tempo, mostly because we looked like we were concentrating on not giving them a foothold in the game. We worked them over and they got frustrated. They made a flurry of if for about 5 minutes towards the end of the half and we just calmly passed our way out of it. Second half we came out (presumably having been chewed out by Evatt over the speed of play) and really got at them. They couldn't live with it and looked totally demoralised. We didn't stop playing well after that, we just started to manage the game. Less energy used up, but still in total control of things.

Still loads to work on and a better team would have made good chances against us tonight, but it's another game where we were a lot better tactically, which is ultimately what will carry us through a season. It's the sort of performance that you can build on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:33 am

Negatives from tonight.

We still leave massive gaps in the second 18 yard box in transitions. MJ did really well stepping up in the press today, but when he does that Lee has got to cycle back to fill the space he leaves. That, or the defence need to step up 5 yards and they're clearly worried about a lack of pace if the ball goes over them. If that's Wigan and not Crewe we concede at least one, probably two.

Dapo needs to work on his pass appreciation and far post runs. He is having a superb season, but he still has got to improve. Too many simple passes are going 5 yards astray. He does stuff no other player in the side can do and then just gets sloppy - like when he beat 4 players in midfield and then passed the ball just behind John who was about to tear Crewe a new one. Same with us having no far post threat because he's not making his runs - it has got to improve. That sloppiness is why he cant be trusted at 10, even though he has the full skill set to play there.

Kachunga also has got to improve his movement in the box, but it might be too late in his career for that. He's another who offers something nobody else in the squad does, but he should have scored tonight.

Baka needs to make the ball stick. He's got so much about him, but he has to retain possession when we use him as an out ball. He's another whose movement in the box is poor, but I'm more worried about his back-to-goal play at the minute. He also needs to improve his pressing, but that 4-4-2 block we used meant a lot of that pressure was taken off him - it's hard for someone who is that big a unit to do repetitive sprints.

Other than that I was happy. Switching the midfield back and forth to press the game and then manage it was lovely to see. Just a very professional performance and something we can take forward.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:33 am
Negatives from tonight.

We still leave massive gaps in the second 18 yard box in transitions. MJ did really well stepping up in the press today, but when he does that Lee has got to cycle back to fill the space he leaves. That, or the defence need to step up 5 yards and they're clearly worried about a lack of pace if the ball goes over them. If that's Wigan and not Crewe we concede at least one, probably two.

Dapo needs to work on his pass appreciation and far post runs. He is having a superb season, but he still has got to improve. Too many simple passes are going 5 yards astray. He does stuff no other player in the side can do and then just gets sloppy - like when he beat 4 players in midfield and then passed the ball just behind John who was about to tear Crewe a new one. Same with us having no far post threat because he's not making his runs - it has got to improve. That sloppiness is why he cant be trusted at 10, even though he has the full skill set to play there.

Kachunga also has got to improve his movement in the box, but it might be too late in his career for that. He's another who offers something nobody else in the squad does, but he should have scored tonight.

Baka needs to make the ball stick. He's got so much about him, but he has to retain possession when we use him as an out ball. He's another whose movement in the box is poor, but I'm more worried about his back-to-goal play at the minute. He also needs to improve his pressing, but that 4-4-2 block we used meant a lot of that pressure was taken off him - it's hard for someone who is that big a unit to do repetitive sprints.

Other than that I was happy. Switching the midfield back and forth to press the game and then manage it was lovely to see. Just a very professional performance and something we can take forward.
Sheehan played deeper and Lee played the old Sarce roll. It suits Lee off the ball and Sheehan on it but both struggle in the opposite scenario. I don’t really see what Sheehan offers beyond looking meat and tidy on the ball.

Definitely need midfield reinforcements in January.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:56 am

From the positives bit. Kachunga. I agree had an excellent game. Doubt Isgrove would have looked as good, without the interplay between him and Kachunga.

On the first half. It felt disjointed. Yes, we controlled it and we're the better team, they rarely looked like getting a sniff, but us also. From chances, rather than we've got the ball, a 0-0 scoreline, I'd struggle to grumble too much about. Keeper made one save. I thought MJ didn't have his finest 45 and Dapo wasn't at his best. We did give the ball to Baka, to run on to, with his back to goal and on his head, none of which he made great use of. All against a team, really not playing well. But clear improvement over last year. The first half only really had our right hand side as redeeming. I thought first 45 Crewe, did a decent job on the left.

Obvious bollocking at half time, looked better for 15 minutes. After that, it depends on your viewpoint as to whether you saw "game management" or "back to fcuking about" but it felt like they were more likely to bag one than had previously been the case, not helped by some poor control from us. We had a couple of moments with Dixon being put under pressure by us, and they probably had the shot of the match, clanging off the inside of the post. If that's control, we need less of it. :-)

I'm delighted with the win and the points and the clean sheet.. But I'm not thinking that was a great performance. It was good enough to bag three points.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:35 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:25 pm
Should there be those unfortunate to not be able to afford to attend this evening or have the ability to pay for the ifollow subscription then I have space on my virtual couch.

PM for details.
We owe you a great deal of thanks for all you do on this site, D.J.B. Here's mine.. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:35 am
DJBlu wrote:
Should there be those unfortunate to not be able to afford to attend this evening or have the ability to pay for the ifollow subscription then I have space on my virtual couch.

PM for details.
We owe you a great deal of thanks for all you do on this site, D.S.B. Here's mine.. :pray:
DJB. I do nowt but blather. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:48 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:39 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:35 am
DJBlu wrote:

PM for details.
We owe you a great deal of thanks for all you do on this site, D.S.B. Here's mine.. :pray:
DJB. I do nowt but blather. :D
I reckon you mighta gotten away with an "always welcome, TD" :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:49 am

Our tempo last night was the biggest worry for me. Too often we miss the chance to break quickly because players seem to look sideways or backwards as their first option. It's where Sarc is a big miss for me because his hassling and forward runs seemed to drive the rest of the team on.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"