Charity Legends Game

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Charity Legends Game

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Oh that was lovely.

Must be a slightly odd feeling for the current players. Not just the not knowing how hard to try, but thinking Christ is that what I'll be like in 20 years.

Lovely to welcome back the old lads. Campo greyer but otherwise the same, couple of crossfield pings and the highlight was buying a free kick hitting the deck. Jay-Jay trying to pull out the skills. A bit more hit and miss than they used to be but lovely value. Senior playing the pantomime villain early doors. Jussi some good saves. Henrik's touch is...the same as it ever was.

Time has been uneven with her gifts. Ricardo and Stelios down the left looked a genuine threat at times :D

Second half a few of the even older lads came on. David Lee and John McGinlay played together in the 90s. Since then one of them has stayed involved in football, active every day, and the other has run a pub. You can see that :lol: Lee was ridiculous. For a 54 year old he's absolutely lightening.

Good to give some love to a few who didn't get it when they left.

Evatt scored a fifteen minute hattrick playing up top, the first an absolute ping top bins. Then got booed for the rest of it :lol:

Then a lovely ovation while they did a lap of honour, the old guard first, then the current crop led by Gethin (who kicked off the game then jogged off). Lovely to see Dapo hanging around to fan boy Jay-Jay.

And pints in the stand too which was nice. 13,000 there, sun shining, lovely stuff.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:00 pm

Haha brilliant, as if Evatt got a hat trick! Bet Adam Senior really enjoyed himself out there!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:57 pm
Oh that was lovely.

Must be a slightly odd feeling for the current players. Not just the not knowing how hard to try, but thinking Christ is that what I'll be like in 20 years.

Lovely to welcome back the old lads. Campo greyer but otherwise the same, couple of crossfield pings and the highlight was buying a free kick hitting the deck. Jay-Jay trying to pull out the skills. A bit more hit and miss than they used to be but lovely value. Senior playing the pantomime villain early doors. Jussi some good saves. Henrik's touch is...the same as it ever was.

Time has been uneven with her gifts. Ricardo and Stelios down the left looked a genuine threat at times :D

Second half a few of the even older lads came on. David Lee and John McGinlay played together in the 90s. Since then one of them has stayed involved in football, active every day, and the other has run a pub. You can see that :lol: Lee was ridiculous. For a 54 year old he's absolutely lightening.

Evatt scored a fifteen minute hattrick playing up top, the first an absolute ping top bins. Then got booed for the rest of it :lol:

Then a lovely ovation while they did a lap of honour, the old guard first, then the current crop led by Gethin (who kicked off the game then jogged off). Lovely to see Dapo hanging around to fan boy Jay-Jay.

And pints in the stand too which was nice. 13,000 there, sun shining, lovely stuff.
Cheers Pru, sounds great.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Tremendous day out. Football played with a smile on their faces. Great to see the legends back.

Okocha did Okocha things, Campo pinged the ball around the place like he'd never been away. Gardner and Stelios still look in really good nick. Jussi made a couple of blinding saves. Jay-Jay's son looked pretty good at the back. For the current crop, it was pretty much a training session. Looked like Adam Senior might have been taking it a little too seriously at times though...

All played at half pace, of course. But a decent enough atmosphere - biggest cheers were reserved for the legends.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Oh that was lovely.

Cracking round-up. Cheers, Fella.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Over 13,000 people attended. What an absolutely fantastic turnout.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:28 pm

Oh aye, don't know how i forgot to mention, SKD got booked for booting Liam Gordon up in the air :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Still adored enough by the fans that they'll come out in roughly equal numbers to a league game? Well, it's an option... :mrgreen:

Sounds like a good day. And that "long view of history" might help a few of them. Some had a taste of it when the fans gathered after Crawley. Now they know that if they do it well enough, we'll still love them decades later. So do it well enough!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:38 pm

It's the Super Johns and David Lees too. Lads who were adopted by the town and have become part of the furniture.

Geth and MJ have both spoken recently about feeling at home for the first time in the adult careers. There's no reason they can't earn themselves a place in the folklore.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Still adored enough by the fans that they'll come out in roughly equal numbers to a league game? Well, it's an option... :mrgreen:

Sounds like a good day. And that "long view of history" might help a few of them. Some had a taste of it when the fans gathered after Crawley. Now they know that if they do it well enough, we'll still love them decades later. So do it well enough!
:D something like that!

Absolutely blew my mind that David Lee is only 6 years older than Jay-Jay though. Seem like they're from different eras (epochs?! eons?!).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Keep laughing at the fact the manager brought himself on, wearing the shirt number of the captain we've just binned off, played himself up front, bagged a 15 minute hattrick then got booed for the rest of it. What a football club.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:05 pm
Keep laughing at the fact the manager brought himself on, wearing the shirt number of the captain we've just binned off, played himself up front, bagged a 15 minute hattrick then got booed for the rest of it. What a football club.
I wasn't hearing boos, if I'm honest. I thought people were shouting "shoooot". I might be wrong!

Joked to him pre-game about why he'd picked that number, that clearly there just weren't any other squad numbers available. "Of course, what other reason would there be?", he responded, with a wry smile.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:58 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:

:D something like that!

Absolutely blew my mind that David Lee is only 6 years older than Jay-Jay though. Seem like they're from different eras (epochs?! eons?!).

Are you sure it's as many as six years difference? 😉

The internet tells me Lee left in 1997 and Jay-Jay joined in 2002. So, yes centuries apart!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:54 pm

Sad to have missed it tbh but have donated to the cause. In a way looking at the pictures is just a frightening reminder of our age. These were the players I watched during the clubs prime. It doesn’t feel that long ago. Yet it really was a lifetime ago almost.

It’s sort of sad in a way and happy in another.

Seeing some of the best players to have ever played for your club in its peak during a wonderful adventure as middle aged men…I think the 90s era is easier as it feels so long ago. But seems like 10 minutes since Jay Jay was strutting round the Reebok.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:57 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm

I wasn't hearing boos, if I'm honest. I thought people were shouting "shoooot". I might be wrong!
Richard Sneekes was playing... :shock: ......................... :mrgreen:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sad thing is Mr Sarcevic passed out on the chance to play today, he’s really undone it all at the biggest club he will ever play for.

Wonder why Nolan wasn’t involved? Youri is onto some pretty important work with with FIFA i think and Dioufy seems to be into politics??

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:20 pm

Some were trying a bit too hard to impress, looking at you Pettifer, Amaechi and Senior. Can understand it as they're wanting to get into the first team but this isn't the game for it. Nobody wants to watch Okocha get tackled, even if he does embarrass you it'll be entertaining, after all he's embarrassed far better players. That being said Okocha never really got into the game sadly.

There's a few missed opportunities today. Father and son combos for example (Okocha, Davies and Giannakopolous for example, might want to add Jaaskelainen into that equation too). I suspect this would've worked better with mixed teams.

Steinsson's appearance was an interesting one as was Mike Whitlow. Get those men a kit dammit! Faye is another one who I believe lives local that could've come and played. Either way, what a nice spectacle and hopefully another one in the near future.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:39 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Joked to him pre-game about why he'd picked that number, that clearly there just weren't any other squad numbers available. "Of course, what other reason would there be?", he responded, with a wry smile.
Evatts's had a couple of moments recently where he's broken character from the "elite football manager" persona he thinks people want to see. He's far more likeable when he's not trying.

More of that, please, Ian.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:31 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:39 am
truewhite15 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Evatts's had a couple of moments recently where he's broken character from the "elite football manager" persona he thinks people want to see. He's far more likeable when he's not trying.

More of that, please, Ian.
He's young and will learn. I don't think anyone needs a 'character' as a manager and the only thing that really concerns me on Evatt is how much he rates Holloway as a manager - someone I think I'd file in the 'oddball who thinks he's amazing yet is just odd and not great' bin,

But I think Evatt veers from seering almost too much honesty to Owen Coyle 'everything is great' levels of positivity and I think he needs to find a way to not spin everything as great whilst also not descending to Dougie Freedman levels of depression and woe. You can be honest when we've not been good enough, say we need new players etc etc....without going to overboard.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Watching some of the clips on social media, I can't express how much I want an Okocha at the club again.

I really, really like the current squad. We can debate the various qualities and deficiencies of each player, but they're a thoroughly likeable bunch of players. I miss raw flair, though. Dapo is great and he can find a lovely pass, beat a man and stick it in the top bins from 30 yards; but I want a born entertainer. It's not the way of the modern game and I get that, but I also don't care.

Watching Jay-Jay in a White shirt was a privilege that I want more of. My brain is well aware that it's not what the system needs to work better, but my heart wants a #10 who will do stepovers and flicks with a smile on his face.