EFL Changes for World Cup 2022...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

EFL Changes for World Cup 2022...

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:04 pm

The EFL leagues will start their season July 30th and the Championship will suspend from November 12th until December 10th to allow for international call ups. Leagues One and Two will continue without breaks.

So they run a 50+ game season, then come back two weeks early and play right through.

If any of our lot do make the Wales squad we could have issues there, as the call ups protocols only kick in for 3 or more players.

We'd better get promoted, I suppose.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EFL Changes for World Cup 2022...

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:13 pm

When you look at how many games have been postponed for internationals during the breaks at our level I have been quite surprised at how many there are! The issue for an Accrington Stanley or whatever is that they can’t afford to lose weeks of income. I am guessing we won’t have any clashes with an England game, but there could be attendance dips?

If teams are missing the odd player or two I wonder if there is a chance they could extend the loan window?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:12 am

I'm probably just moaning because I think the whole thing is a shambles.

Starting up two weeks early is a big difference and with no break for Leagues One and Two you're going to see an increase in injuries, even though the games are slightly more spread out.

I think the EFL at the minute is saying there's no need to adapt the rules. Last time I talked to anyone about this it was sold as "a great opportunity for young players" if they went this route. If we'd been in the pub I'd had clipped him 'round the head, but he was saved by Covid.

Everyone knows it's a bit of a mess, but there's nothing national groups can do about it. I think allowing clubs one additional short-term loan during the break might make sense, treating it a bit like an emergency loan with goalkeepers. The fact that Covid's continuing influence on finance likely means smaller squads for a lot of clubs next season means even one call-up could have a real impact.

If Sheehan was currently with Wales, or Kachunga with Congo again, we'd have been in serious bother recently.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 am

I mean a world cup should be played in June. That's all there really is to it.

This is an abomination of a WC that shouldn't be happening. Its impact on football is huge and the WC joy will be lost for many with club football happening alongside it.

The whole joy of summer WC's is football in the sunshine when your club isn't playing, when everyone can watch and enjoy and see different football. A world cup in winter is nonsense. For so many reasons. Primarily because it hurts the grassroots of the game more. Secondly because we are doing this all to accommodate a venue we shouldn't even be entertaining.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:15 am

I struggle to believe that the higher ups in the sport haven't benefitted financially in exchange for the World Cup going there, let's put it that way.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 am

This is an abomination of a WC that shouldn't be happening. Its impact on football is huge and the WC joy will be lost for many with club football happening alongside it.

The whole joy of summer WC's is football in the sunshine when your club isn't playing, when everyone can watch and enjoy and see different football. A world cup in winter is nonsense. For so many reasons. Primarily because it hurts the grassroots of the game more. Secondly because we are doing this all to accommodate a venue we shouldn't even be entertaining.
When it's June here, isn't that mid-season for many other places? There's always someone going to be impacted...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

When it's June here, isn't that mid-season for many other places? There's always someone going to be impacted...
Most European leagues end in May - bar some Scandinavian ones. Argentinian is similar.

I'd say that disrupting the African leagues is relatively low impact for football fans. But I get that's a bit Anglocentric. And I hate that but equally English football is the most watched product round the world. As is European football. And world cups happen in June. IMHO.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Minor point: First World Cup was held entirely in July. So was England's. Bobby Moore lifted the trophy on July 30.

But yes, it's always been a summer tournament as far as the Global North is concerned, despite the first one being held in Uruguay (in their winter). Calendars were a lot less busy back then.

I was with FourFourTwo on the day FIFA announced not just Qatar 2022 but Russia 2018. It really did feel like football's leadership had jumped the shark in terms of decisions that could only possible have been made with money in mind. I'll be kind and say "money for the game" but I won't stop you drawing your own conclusions. Certainly law enforcement agencies have taken a keen interest in operators at the top of the game.

Now of course we have the sainted Wenger saying (apparently with surprisingly great conviction) that it should be every two years, and did I hear the latest crackpot idea off that is that teams wouldn't compete in consecutive tournaments? I'm not one for ranting that football is eating itself, but with all that sh!tshow plus the European Super League, it's hard to ignore it.

And it's especially hard when it impacts the season down at our level.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Most European leagues end in May - bar some Scandinavian ones. Argentinian is similar.

I'd say that disrupting the African leagues is relatively low impact for football fans. But I get that's a bit Anglocentric. And I hate that but equally English football is the most watched product round the world. As is European football. And world cups happen in June. IMHO.
Isn't that rather like the European Super League view of the world (we're the teams with all the money so fcuk you lot)? I don't have any problem with our leagues occasionally being impacted...Just got to work through it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Isn't that rather like the European Super League view of the world (we're the teams with all the money so fcuk you lot)? I don't have any problem with our leagues occasionally being impacted...Just got to work through it.
Possibly except the European Super League artificially destroyed the whole traditions of football for money. Whereas I'm arguing that the WC in winter is not preserving any tradition and as DSB says is just chasing the dollar.

I acknowledge my horribly self aware Anglo and euro centric view but I still want a WC in the summer and think that's where it should be.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I'd not mind if it had gone to a proper footballing nation. It has gone to Qatar in exchange for money, to facilitate sportswashing.

It went to a country with no football tradition and to a climate not suitable for the event.

If it had gone to South Korea and Japan, for example, and they'd chosen to move it so as not to disrupt K League, fine. Not ideal, but fine. Same with the US.

Qatar will not see a massive growth as a football nation and it has no history of being one.

If the decision had been made for footballing reasons I'd have been fine with it. It wasn't and the people who made the decision seem to live a lifestyle not in keeping with their known income.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I'd not mind if it had gone to a proper footballing nation. It has gone to Qatar in exchange for money, to facilitate sportswashing.

It went to a country with no football tradition and to a climate not suitable for the event.

If it had gone to South Korea and Japan, for example, and they'd chosen to move it so as not to disrupt K League, fine. Not ideal, but fine. Same with the US.

Qatar will not see a massive growth as a football nation and it has no history of being one.

If the decision had been made for footballing reasons I'd have been fine with it. It wasn't and the people who made the decision seem to live a lifestyle not in keeping with their known income.
Oh yeah - there was lots wrong with how they got to the decision point, but we're not able to turn back that clock now...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:22 pm

I would be pleased if England pulled out of the Tournament
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:22 pm
I would be pleased if England pulled out of the Tournament
This.

If enough of the major footballing nations boycotted it something might have been done about the obvious corruption involved. As it is, nothing much will change.