Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:24 pm

Genuine LOL. You can define "enemies" however you want – maybe some people's lines are drawn differently, like firebombing the bloke's house or something. I was just saying some people like him more than others do.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:55 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:12 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 pm
^^ I'm not sure it's "enemies" as such. Pointing out that the world isn't exactly on fire in a trail behind him, is somewhat different than wishing him any misfortune. I'm sure we'd all be delighted with him blazing a trail. He just hasn't really...
twits.png
Fans that don’t think he’s very good is what I see there. It’s hardly a bunch of people wishing him misfortune. Or enemies.
You seem to have mis-spelled "knobheads" as "fans" there.....
Cos they have a different opinion to you?

I mean footballers even league one footballers are highly paid compared to those fans. Many of whom probably sacrifice loads of stuff to go to games. Some spend what little they might have to go to games. Surely it’s as much on the players to perform for fans, nay more so than it is for them to expect unconditional praise and support?

The stuff said in those tweets has been said forever in football grounds in pubs etc. and a lot worse too.

It’s a balance but I think footballers should be reminded of the huge privilege they have to play for the clubs they do and maybe just close down social media and ignore it. Same way they were better off not reading the paper.

I remember back in the day there was a hullabaloo about players complaining about the match ratings Sharrock was giving them in the Bolton Evening News. End of the day I’m sure it wasn’t nice to open it and see a 4 out of 10 rating or a critical report but still the professional footballer can change that by performing. The fan or writer can’t do a thing.
Nothing to do with opinions - anyone and everyone is entitled to theirs, and I respect that.

What I don't respect is the targeting of people with the kind of comments some of these people were saying - its just basic human decency.

I know footballers are privileged and can ignore social media, but some - as Dan has said - read it and it affects them. It doesn't happen in other walks of life, so why should it happen to them? If I have an off day at work I don't get a load of public comments about how I'm the worst person in the workplace, and nor shoudl they....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:07 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
^^ I'm not sure it's "enemies" as such. Pointing out that the world isn't exactly on fire in a trail behind him, is somewhat different than wishing him any misfortune. I'm sure we'd all be delighted with him blazing a trail. He just hasn't really...
twits.png
Fans that don’t think he’s very good is what I see there. It’s hardly a bunch of people wishing him misfortune. Or enemies.

I mean footballers even league one footballers are highly paid compared to those fans. Many of whom probably sacrifice loads of stuff to go to games. Some spend what little they might have to go to games. Surely it’s as much on the players to perform for fans, nay more so than it is for them to expect unconditional praise and support?

The stuff said in those tweets has been said forever in football grounds in pubs etc. and a lot worse too.

It’s a balance but I think footballers should be reminded of the huge privilege they have to play for the clubs they do and maybe just close down social media and ignore it. Same way they were better off not reading the paper.

I remember back in the day there was a hullabaloo about players complaining about the match ratings Sharrock was giving them in the Bolton Evening News. End of the day I’m sure it wasn’t nice to open it and see a 4 out of 10 rating or a critical report but still the professional footballer can change that by performing. The fan or writer can’t do a thing.
Nothing to do with opinions - anyone and everyone is entitled to theirs, and I respect that.

What I don't respect is the targeting of people with the kind of comments some of these people were saying - its just basic human decency.

I know footballers are privileged and can ignore social media, but some - as Dan has said - read it and it affects them. It doesn't happen in other walks of life, so why should it happen to them? If I have an off day at work I don't get a load of public comments about how I'm the worst person in the workplace, and nor shoudl they....
You say it doesn’t happen in other walks of life but social media is full of way worse stuff about politicians, celebrities, minorities….etc…

Some of the abuse Roy McFarland as an example used to take was way way way worse than these tweets. And that was to his face or the back of his head more accurately. And he was a thoroughly nice bloke too. Not suggesting abuse is right at all. It isn’t. But saying you don’t think a player is very good is not wrong it’s something that’s been a part of football for time immemorial.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:28 pm

dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
twits.png

It does happen in other walks of life, albeit maybe a bit differently. Someone puts your wallpaper up wonky, don't you usually tell them?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:28 pm
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
twits.png

It does happen in other walks of life, albeit maybe a bit differently. Someone puts your wallpaper up wonky, don't you usually tell them?
Nah - the wife does the wallpapering - she'd divorce me if i criticised....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:25 pm

Fairness mate, I had myself on the receiving end of that one! :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 pm

I don't think it's on @-ing people to that kind of stuff, but otherwise it's more like pub chat, for me. It's public, but it's not broadcast to someone.

Think it's sensible for them not to search themselves. It's mean, but I don't think it's over a line.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 pm
I don't think it's on @-ing people to that kind of stuff, but otherwise it's more like pub chat, for me. It's public, but it's not broadcast to someone.

Think it's sensible for them not to search themselves. It's mean, but I don't think it's over a line.
Yeah @ing a player account with that stuff is not on. But just blurting into the ether a view on a players performance or ability is always going to be a thing. Be it in the ground. The pub. The local paper or online.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:21 am

Dion named in Norn Iron squad. Interesting.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:38 am

Also Geth has been named in the prelim aussie squad for matches on the 21st and 26th March. Hope he doesn't get picked
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:53 am

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:21 am
Err yeah he better not play.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 pm

Maybe we've been kid gloving Charles like we did with JDB. End of last season JDB was, by his own acknowledgement fit, and ready to go for the cup final, but we didn't leverage him at the end of the season. Maybe we've been wanting to do the same for Dion Charles and that he may be fit and available, but we're wanting to look after long term interests, whereas Northern Ireland are probably keen on the here and now.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:02 pm

Did it help us postpone Shrewsbury?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:10 pm

Maybe if Charles is fit, a couple of 30 minute run outs for NI might get him a bit of sharpness back so he’s more ready to make an impact when he comes back for us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:30 pm

So a nice break now to get some of the injured back… noticeable lack of Baxter updates which isn’t good…Charles, feck knows - if he steps out for Northern Ireland that will be puzzling. What about the longer term - Nlundulu /Johnston? And finally…Calvin Ramsay…. Send a search party out?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:30 pm
So a nice break now to get some of the injured back… noticeable lack of Baxter updates which isn’t good…Charles, feck knows - if he steps out for Northern Ireland that will be puzzling. What about the longer term - Nlundulu /Johnston? And finally…Calvin Ramsay…. Send a search party out?
The lack of Baxter updates I suspect would be a case of saying, we've got Coleman, he's in net and he's here to do a job. Don't get distracted by what we could have, but keep the faith in what we do have.

As for Ramsey, I haven't seen anything to think we're particularly missing anything there. Maybe he's not impressed in training to show he's as good as JDC or even anywhere close good enough for cover over what we have. Would be nice to have an extra option, but I don't think we're particularly missing out. Same goes with Taylor. It'd be nice to have the option, but I don't think we're fully requiring them not we've got players back.

Charles would be a troubling one if he features of NI, question marks would certainly be raised as to why.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:18 pm

Ramsay cost Liverpool £6million quid… the only game I’ve seen him in he looked like an attacking rwb, was bemoaning him not being on the bench as an option, then I got bored. I don’t think he is injured.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:25 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:18 pm
Ramsay cost Liverpool £6million quid… the only game I’ve seen him in he looked like an attacking rwb, was bemoaning him not being on the bench as an option, then I got bored. I don’t think he is injured.
What I’ve seen of him and it’s not much here, but he didn’t look ready to me.

We are asking way too much of our wing backs to be fair. Bradley was arguably the closest to the full package we need and even then I’m not sure could do it all and he’s not a premiership player.

I don’t think JDC is a bad player at all but this system we play and how we play it demands way too much from these roles. It’s easy to criticise both wing backs at Derby but we’re asking them to be solid defensively, have pace, run the line and put the quality of a winger into the box. It’s too much. You get the odd weird player who just naturally can do all that and excels at wing back. But none of these are quite that, it’s not really their fault though. It’s like expecting a midfield player to play the 4,6, 8 and 10 role all at once and excel in them all. We are asking good attacking full backs to be our outlets and creators and still get up and down the line and stretch teams, and then we critique their defending.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:03 pm

Our protection over Charles is that we want him to contribute in the run-in. We don;t feel he;s ready to play with9out a risk of him breaking down again.

N.I naturally don't give too much of a shit about that and they're looking 1 game at a time and he plays for them, does a job but feck* it for the remainder of Bolton's season, that's not their problem. We're looking at having him fit from Good Friday until possibly the middle of May
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:42 pm

IE latest interview gives very positive news on the injury front - fingers crossed.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.