Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:11 am

Evatt:
“This is back to how things have been for us, the whole Covid situation and then having to play Saturday-Tuesday. Kacha has got quite a bad thigh tear. He will be out for eight to 12 weeks.

“That is just what happens when you haven’t been able to train and to maintain your fitness because you are self-isolating. It is another one to add to the list of disasters we have had this season.

“Xav has got a hamstring strain as well. A product of that and not training and coming straight back in to high-intensity work. His isn’t as serious but hopefully a week or so for him.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... gh-injury/

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:42 am

Jesus fecking christ.

At least Amaechi won't be out for long, and tbh, he would have been my pick to start ahead of Kachunga anyway.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am

Fossey and Jones played together and looked fine. It’s more the support striker role we’ll miss him. Baka looks miles off the player that started the season. After that first game I thought we had a proper strong powerful forward who would be an aerial threat on our hands. Worrying how much he disappeared last night just have to hope it’s fitness.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 pm

He's never ever a winger. Thought switching him and Charles was worth a shot at least for 15 mins yesterday.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am
Fossey and Jones played together and looked fine. It’s more the support striker role we’ll miss him. Baka looks miles off the player that started the season. After that first game I thought we had a proper strong powerful forward who would be an aerial threat on our hands. Worrying how much he disappeared last night just have to hope it’s fitness.
I'm guessing we must have been looking to bring in another striker/forward on loan regardless of this, but certainly this now takes on extra importance.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:15 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I'm guessing we must have been looking to bring in another striker/forward on loan regardless of this, but certainly this now takes on extra importance.
Well it sure doesn't feel like Delf is the answer TG. :-)

There was one cross last night that he was about 10 feet under, so he just jumped on the spot, watching it go 8 feet over his head. :-)

Never been the same for me, since changing nappies started.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 pm
He's never ever a winger. Thought switching him and Charles was worth a shot at least for 15 mins yesterday.
He’s not a target man either after watching him at Plymouth! 442 might be an option with him and Charles. Dapo and Sideshow Bob on the wings.

Re Delf - he just needs to have his contract cancelled. I can’t believe it’s not worth having Politic back over him in the squad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 pm
I thought the front three switched and interchanged well throughout the first half, and really asked some questions. Second, not so good.

Unsurprisingly for someone released on a free transfer, Baka isn't a complete player. He adds height and power, but can't reliably pass – in fact there was one move in the second half (over on the Lofty Lower side of the penalty area) where he almost looked like he was timewasting, so unwilling was he to release the ball. Physicality does not always increase productivity. Going Long does not always increase productivity.

One other thing on the thread topic. Evatt says of Kachunga's injury “That is just what happens when you haven’t been able to train and to maintain your fitness because you are self-isolating,” and of Xav's “A product of that and not training and coming straight back in to high intensity work." To me that sounds suspiciously like a coaching/monitoring fail; it also therefore sounds a little less than unifying (is he taking blame or throwing someone under the bus?). He still needs to learn that sometimes, it's a good option to shush.
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Indeed, but if (if) Geth's OK then maybe Fossey's promising performance further forward slightly alleviates that. It's certainly another option.

Evatt made clear that we're already after two more forwards; I doubt Kacha's layoff will (or, arguably, should) extend that to three. What it does, also arguably, is perhaps open the door slightly wider for Politic – but I think Dennis is below a few new faces on Evatt's wanted list.

IMO, while still welcoming new attacking talent, I'd be looking to strengthen the back of the team. Dixon isn't getting any more reliable; the defence clearly needs improving; and for all the excitement around Morley and Dempsey, neither is defensive-midfield cover for MJ. They can both play as 8s, but Morley is more Pirlo than Gattuso, and Dempsey – while willing to pitch in wherever - has never played def-mid as far as I know. Add in the continuing questionable form of Declan John and we still have lots of work to do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:19 pm
Re Delf - he just needs to have his contract cancelled. I can’t believe it’s not worth having Politic back over him in the squad.
I genuinely felt sorry for him last night even before he came on. There was a point, as he pulled his pants up, that he looked up into the stand at someone and I was transported back to my time coaching kids, namely when you bring on a player that's clearly not as good and you're praying they don't f**k up too badly and everyone sort of knows it. To me, the fella looks absolutely lost. Baps looks like he's too slow, but it's not that: Delf just looks... pained.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:31 pm

Re. Politic - I get the impression bridges were burned the moment he rejected our offer to extend his contract.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:34 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:31 pm
Re. Politic - I get the impression bridges were burned the moment he rejected our offer to extend his contract.
Possibly. If so, folks might have to grow up. But I guess they won't, and that will only entrench views: those who dislike the manager will blame the manager.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:34 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Possibly. If so, folks might have to grow up. But I guess they won't, and that will only entrench views: those who dislike the manager will blame the manager.
Not sure it's a case of "growing-up"...Evatt offers contract X, Politic feels he's worth contract Y, so he leaves - that's just shit that happens in any business. Part and parcel.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:43 pm

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:19 pm
I genuinely felt sorry for him last night even before he came on. There was a point, as he pulled his pants up, that he looked up into the stand at someone and I was transported back to my time coaching kids, namely when you bring on a player that's clearly not as good and you're praying they don't f**k up too badly and everyone sort of knows it. To me, the fella looks absolutely lost. Baps looks like he's too slow, but it's not that: Delf just looks... pained.
He would benefit as a bloke being somewhere a bit smaller with less eyes on him. Suspect a Barrow or Rochdale or whatever.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:39 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Not sure it's a case of "growing-up"...Evatt offers contract X, Politic feels he's worth contract Y, so he leaves - that's just shit that happens in any business. Part and parcel.
If (and it's an if) "bridges were burned" and either or both of them refuse to speak or negotiate, then that's not business, it's personal, and unprofessional – literally, in the player's case. Wouldn't be a great look on Evatt if it were him refusing to negotiate, but if it were Politic, he's literally denying himself the chance of a contract.

As you say, I'm sure it happens. Doesn't make it grown-up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:11 pm

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:55 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:39 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
If (and it's an if) "bridges were burned" and either or both of them refuse to speak or negotiate, then that's not business, it's personal, and unprofessional – literally, in the player's case. Wouldn't be a great look on Evatt if it were him refusing to negotiate, but if it were Politic, he's literally denying himself the chance of a contract.

As you say, I'm sure it happens. Doesn't make it grown-up.
There comes a position where both parties reach their conclusions about a negotiation. Compromises may have been offered on both sides to the extent they're willing to go - we don't know one way or the other. It's not always possible to get a successful conclusion on every contract - for a whole variety of reasons. Even grown up contract negotiations have their walk away points for both parties and knowing when they're reached is part of the art form.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:18 pm

Is burning bridges grown up? :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:38 pm

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:18 pm
Grown up, no. But not necessarily not grown up either. It's sometimes an inevitable consequence of a negotiation where the parties are sat a million miles apart...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:38 pm
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:18 pm
Grown up, no. But not necessarily not grown up either. It's sometimes an inevitable consequence of a negotiation where the parties are sat a million miles apart...
Neither grown-up nor not grown-up. Schrödinger's gambit. :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:53 pm

We were already right on the edge of tolerable squad depth (including rumoured new signings) before this Kachunga news filtered out. It absolutely opens the door to Darcy and Politic being considered as proper squad options. If, as suggested above, people had their noses put out either by the offer or the rejection of it - get over it. It's a business. People argue over money all the time in football.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:53 pm
We were already right on the edge of tolerable squad depth (including rumoured new signings) before this Kachunga news filtered out. It absolutely opens the door to Darcy and Politic being considered as proper squad options. If, as suggested above, people had their noses put out either by the offer or the rejection of it - get over it. It's a business. People argue over money all the time in football.
On squad depth in the right hand forward type spot. That's where Izzy had been playing, Baka and Amaechi have been covering and Fossey could fit in - how many do we expect?