Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:47 am

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:57 am
Fortunately, I think we'll be able to fill that hole with a loanee early in the window

But I'm still less than convinced that he can have an identifiable presence in our team. Nothing against him. He looks a tidy player, but we just don't have an A, or B lineup/plan that has his type in there
Which may just b a bit of "secret weapon) when opposing managers get the "predictability" gauge out?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:38 pm

Dion Charles scored tonight for Northern Ireland. Six minutes later he is substituted due to injury. Apparently he got injured making a sliding tackle. Just hope it is nothing serious.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:46 am

No surprises with this announcement;

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... uary-exit/
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:58 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:46 am
No surprises with this announcement;

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... uary-exit/
No surprises whatsoever. Shame really, but hardly unexpected. Weve had a number of players under Evatts tenure and indeed previously that have struggled in the LB role. Its a pleasant change seeing Williams succeed there.

Take Ashworth and Iredale. Both have made it look tough at times. Iredale definitely progressing in the right direction.

At this moment in time, Ashworth doesn't seem an improvement on John from a playing point of view, but may cost substantially less financially. From the looks of it Williams is clear first choice, Iredale looking to do both LB and CB options and Asworth being the plucky youngster who can look to impress like the equivalent of Matheson.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:07 am

Have to admit I'd kinda forgotten, for vast swathes of this season, that Dec existed - let alone that he's still on the payroll.

However, on the thread topic it may be worth noting that Iredale could (could) be absent for all of January and the first third of February – as might Gethin. I've banged on at length about it in the transfer thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=1166914#p1166914

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:06 pm

In case you're allergic to transfer threads (but love a squad-depth chat), we have big breaking news that Big Dan is out for yonks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:24 pm

Whilst I'm delighted Dan had started contributing, realistically, we're not going to miss much outside of a warm body (bit like CMG in the League at the moment) - that's not meant as overly disparaging, just that he'd not actually played a stellar role, so far.

I thought we'd need an extra one up front anyhow, as outside of Dion/Vic, the other three still only have 1 league goal between them, so we certainly need cover in case Dion got injured...Anyone have a 10 goal Baka hanging around (rather than the 1 goal Baka) - or the 10 goal JDB?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:27 pm

I was starting to get excited about Dan... he started to look like a prospect.. now this happens. While he had not done much before, I was looking forward to his contributions in the 2nd half and feeling optimistic about it. Thanks Ref!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:47 pm

We don't have much luck with our potential/good players via injury. Lousy luck for Dan too. Hope he recovers quickly.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:47 pm
We don't have much luck with our potential/good players via injury. Lousy luck for Dan too. Hope he recovers quickly.
I suppose we're just being kept in check by the gods.

Pompey have had similar luck with their lads recently.

It wouldn't be much of a Homeric tale if it was all plain sailing.

HMS Piss the League needs buffeting now and again. Makes for better stories to tell the grand kids.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:20 pm

Real shame for Dan, who was just starting to believe in himself and seems like a much-loved type. Get well, come back, fulfil that promise. Say hello to George.

For the wider Wanderers...
I'm at the stage where I think "if this makes us borrow a striker who turns out ace..."
(As opposed to "if however we rely on Jerome...")

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:26 pm

Such a shame for Dan - was starting to show us what Evatt must have seen in him to sign him, and was also starting to win round the doubting fans.

Hope he recovers as quickly as he can and comes back stronger.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:20 pm
Real shame for Dan, who was just starting to believe in himself and seems like a much-loved type. Get well, come back, fulfil that promise. Say hello to George.

For the wider Wanderers...
I'm at the stage where I think "if this makes us borrow a striker who turns out ace..."
(As opposed to "if however we rely on Jerome...")
I agree with the loanee thing. We're hopefully still well in the mix at the start of the window and maybe a little different than other years where longer term build prospects might feature, I think we need best we can from whatever source.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:53 pm

Aye. I’m thinking of a loanee we could buy if the new fella helps us get promoted. Like Plymouth did with Bali Mumba and Morgan Whittaker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:21 am

It’s a shame. He was starting to show signs that he was starting to look like a footballer.

However, these things happen through the course of a season and whilst we’d rather they didn’t happen if they are to happen - then avoid one of the ‘first 11’ ideally.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:34 am

Real shame for Dan - my fear with him is he seems to be a player whose confidence gets knocked easily and has been upset about social media criticism. So he now has more time on his hands and may struggle with self doubt to come back as confident as he was to step up and take a penalty on Tuesday. What a frustrating thing to happen in the last minute of an EFLtrophy game!

For me though it cements the need to look for the next signing -ideally a permanent who is an upgrade on what we have.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 pm

Nlundulu update from t'gaffer:

“He's had his surgery, it was very successful. He's out of his leg brace now, but he's still on crutches for another week or so. Then his rehab will begin.
"If you speak to Dan, he is targeting being back for April. If you speak to the physios, they are pulling the reins in a little bit. The main thing for us is, mentally, he is in a much better place."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... town-trip/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:15 pm

That last bit. Has he had a brain transplant? 🧠 I was frightened to look on here, given we recalled Khumbeni. Hope his rehab goes well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:15 pm
That last bit. Has he had a brain transplant? 🧠 I was frightened to look on here, given we recalled Khumbeni. Hope his rehab goes well.
Ha, sorry!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:14 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 pm
Nlundulu update from t'gaffer:

“He's had his surgery, it was very successful. He's out of his leg brace now, but he's still on crutches for another week or so. Then his rehab will begin.
"If you speak to Dan, he is targeting being back for April. If you speak to the physios, they are pulling the reins in a little bit. The main thing for us is, mentally, he is in a much better place."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... town-trip/
Given the recovery for Bodvarsson and how slow it was to get him back into the side, I suspect our medical team air on the side of caution. Judging from the comments, I wouldn't be surprised if he was out for the season.