Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:50 pm

Need to hope that Dempsey isn't out.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:11 pm

I'd completely missed MJ Williams' injury.

Was that done in training this week or something?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:13 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:11 pm
I'd completely missed MJ Williams' injury.

Was that done in training this week or something?
Think it’s some thing that’s been going on a while. Doesn’t sound like a major thing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:50 pm

Randy may not be back for Saturday. We are "monitoring" John.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:50 pm
Randy may not be back for Saturday. We are "monitoring" John.
At this stage of the season Allardyce wrapped the squad up and did little training and prioritised keeping people rested and fit.

I’d suggest Evatt does the same. No point pushing people to long lay offs. Indoor stuff, gym work, tactical work and rehab stuff for me. Do everything possible to minimise further injuries.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:03 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the state of play with current injuries.

On 5th Feb Evatt said MJ Williams would be out for 3-4 weeks.

On Jack Iredale, this Evatt quote is from the 5th Jan:

He has picked up quite a significant injury...he has actually got a tear of his lateral meniscus, which we will find out on Monday whether that will need surgery – and it is likely it will. Either way it will be 10 weeks to four months, so quite a significant one.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:08 pm

Forgot about George Johnston :shock:

Not likely to see him until March at the earliest:

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2023/02/0 ... ealed.html

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:32 pm

The fact the training pitches at Lostock have been causing injuries is both unsurprising and concerning.

There are various things that could be said, but ultimately a professional team with Premier League aspirations needs a proper training facility. We haven't come close to dealing with the loss of Euxton and we will have to fairly soon. No idea how, on our budgets.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:32 pm
The fact the training pitches at Lostock have been causing injuries is both unsurprising and concerning.

There are various things that could be said, but ultimately a professional team with Premier League aspirations needs a proper training facility. We haven't come close to dealing with the loss of Euxton and we will have to fairly soon. No idea how, on our budgets.
Don't disagree that the training facilities need to be up to muster, but are we sure it's the pitches that are causing the injuries? That would be a concern, because I think there's also a view that the intensity of the training is in part the problem, especially with new signings, who seem to have a deep and rich history of picking up at least a muscle tear in the first couple of week after signing...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:01 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Don't disagree that the training facilities need to be up to muster, but are we sure it's the pitches that are causing the injuries? That would be a concern, because I think there's also a view that the intensity of the training is in part the problem, especially with new signings, who seem to have a deep and rich history of picking up at least a muscle tear in the first couple of week after signing...
Evatt said the softness of the pitches were causing back spasms - Bradley and Cameron Jerome both had back spasms through training on the pitches.

So seems like they are.

I'd like investment in the pitches but also sports science areas. We seem pretty behind - when a manager is saying soft muscle injuries are because 'we're asking players to show intensity' then we need a sports science team who are actively monitoring and managing training load and intensity to avoid picking these up. We need more recovery kit too - I feel its an area we are behind on.

Allardyce was way ahead of the game with his team and Evatt seemingly doesn't have that sort of expertise behind him at the club. Its such a massively important area. We have analysis teams - which is good, but nothing on sports science or recovery.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:13 am

I think it's more to do with budget mate - The club is pinching every penny they can currently in ever available area to cope with rising playing costs and pitches.

I mean, the club is willing to gamble £36,000 a year of savings on a bus service, even though they accept that they could lose more than they'd save in ticket and matchday revenue if 150 people don't renew

I think adding to the staff count is low on the priorities of the board. Find the advantages with what you have at your disposal is the message
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:13 am
I think it's more to do with budget mate - The club is pinching every penny they can currently in ever available area to cope with rising playing costs and pitches.

I mean, the club is willing to gamble £36,000 a year of savings on a bus service, even though they accept that they could lose more than they'd save in ticket and matchday revenue if 150 people don't renew

I think adding to the staff count is low on the priorities of the board. Find the advantages with what you have at your disposal is the message
Yeah sure. Its about slowly doing it over time. And as revenue (hopefully) improves. But this stuff pays for itself over time.

One person who can assess physical conditioning and load and advise on training and recovery plans would do a lot I suspect.

I agree we're simply trying to maximise what we've got and that's obviously the necessity but we shouldn't hopefully long term be doing that and given the number of new players come in and get injured because 'we've worked them too hard' I'd say its critical we find some of this expertise if we at all can.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:01 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Evatt said the softness of the pitches were causing back spasms - Bradley and Cameron Jerome both had back spasms through training on the pitches.

So seems like they are.

I'd like investment in the pitches but also sports science areas. We seem pretty behind - when a manager is saying soft muscle injuries are because 'we're asking players to show intensity' then we need a sports science team who are actively monitoring and managing training load and intensity to avoid picking these up. We need more recovery kit too - I feel its an area we are behind on.

Allardyce was way ahead of the game with his team and Evatt seemingly doesn't have that sort of expertise behind him at the club. Its such a massively important area. We have analysis teams - which is good, but nothing on sports science or recovery.
Cheers mate. I'd missed the Evatt bit. Oh for the days of pitches where the mud leaked over your heavily dubbined boots and you just ploughed through it! :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:04 pm

Geth has a slight hamstring strain and Dempsey "rolled his ankle" according to the post-match from Evatt.

Bother.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Was worried Dempsey had broken his foot. When he stayed down, there were audible gasps from behind the goal.

Hope it’s nothing a few days of rehab can’t fix
Last edited by boltonboris on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:14 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:06 pm
Was worried Dempsey had broken his foot. When he stayed down, there were audible gasps from behind the goal.

Hope it’s noting a few days of rehab can’t fix
It's us. It'll be a ligament strain and 6 weeks out.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:14 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Did he walk off? I missed it. If so then ankle ligament strain is pretty hard to walk on.

Grasping at the straws.

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:49 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:31 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Did he walk off? I missed it. If so then ankle ligament strain is pretty hard to walk on.

Grasping at the straws.
Slight jog round the edge of the pitch with the physio back to the bench so fingers crossed.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:04 pm

Tails07 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:49 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:31 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Grasping at the straws.
Slight jog round the edge of the pitch with the physio back to the bench so fingers crossed.
He immediately signalled with the finger roll to sub him, but then limped, then walked, then jogged and wanted to come back on, but his number was already up on the board

He’s been massive for us in the last few weeks

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:33 pm

We've done well to go on a 5 match winning run despite injuries, but I think today was one where those knocks caught up with us a bit. We looked leggy at times and I think this was the kind of game we signed Nlundulu for - a big lad who can break the box would have been just what the doctor ordered. We also missed Iredale today.

It's fine margins and you can always say "If only", but if we don't go up you can see where we need to make some changes so we're even more resilient to runs of injuries. More quality (and suitability) in midfield being an obvious one.