Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:26 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:03 pm
He’d have to be managed through a season - not playing Sat, Tue, Sat etc.

Think this’ll put off quite a few Championship teams.
See, I was going to mention this. For a lad who's been no stranger to the treatment room and who hasn't played a great deal of footie, he's been fairly chucked-in at the deep end with our recent schedule, as well as playing on pitches almost akin to those on Newhouse Farm.

I'll be quite happy for a few Championship clubs to be put off.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:10 pm

Fossey came with injury issues and is now out with a serious injury. He's a very good player, but we have to be realistic about what that means for his career. It's not like he's tweaked something - he's having surgery.

It will put other clubs off, but it may also put us off.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:10 pm
Fossey came with injury issues and is now out with a serious injury. He's a very good player, but we have to be realistic about what that means for his career. It's not like he's tweaked something - he's having surgery.

It will put other clubs off, but it may also put us off.
Will he be sufficiently recovered by the time we need to figure out if we were interested or not? How long does a meniscus take, before you could take a reasonable guess?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 pm

3-6 months, depending on the work they have to do.

Meniscus issues are what plagued Ledley King and meant he basically couldn't train between matches. He now has issues with inflammation just from regular life like walking the dog etc. Meniscus injuries tend to be chronic and eventually end up with people having to have the entire meniscus removed unless they retire from sport, or so I'm told by people better-informed than I am - I'm not a doctor.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 pm

Meniscus issues are what plagued Ledley King and meant he basically couldn't train between matches. He now has issues with inflammation just from regular life like walking the dog etc. Meniscus injuries tend to be chronic and eventually end up with people having to have the entire meniscus removed unless they retire from sport, or so I'm told by people better-informed than I am - I'm not a doctor.
So we're not going to see him back on grass, prior to needing to take a pick by the sounds of that...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 pm

There are far worse knee injuries though. I suspect 6 months is unlikely based on previous cases. Not impossible.

If it puts others off then all the better. I guess another Holden given nationality and some similarity seemingly in their attitude.

I’d take him regardless but would be a risk. But one we’d have to take if we get the chance.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 pm

I've no issue if we sign him. I think he's a very good player. The medical team will have to make an assessment of his situation.

His wage demands will be up there for the level we will (probably) be at next season. The issue will be if signing Fossey takes up so much budget that the back-up isn't someone we'd trust playing most of the season if Fossey is out. If that's the case it becomes more than just your usual gamble on player fitness.

I'll trust the manager, recruitment team and medical staff to get it right.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:56 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 pm
His wage demands will be up there for the level we will (probably) be at next season.
Worry not, Ghosty. One more win and we're mathematically safe! :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am

He's a good player, made a big impact and will bea big loss.

I'm not sure where that leaves him got next year. It's a judgement call for those who know more. I hope we sign him if the money and medical is right.

But some folk have got very very carried away! He's not Cafu. He's got zero chance of playing for Fulham in the prem next year.

Very good player at this level, looks like he could play the next one up so hopefully the injury heals fully and we get him. But if not then I'm sure we'll recruit well elsewhere. Probably in January...

Wouldn't surprise me if he comes back on another loan now to the end of his Fulham contract (I think he has one year left?)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am
Wouldn't surprise me if he comes back on another loan now to the end of his Fulham contract (I think he has one year left?)
He does, and this is an interesting thought. Other clubs might want to see him run around without falling over.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:13 am

Yeah someone (including us) might take a punt on offering cash in the summer (and I think there was a story he had an agreement with Fulham he could go) but you'd think that value will have dropped now, though it's unlikely to make much of a difference in the scheme of Fulham's budgets next year.

So several things are possible, is what I'm saying :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:27 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am
He's a good player, made a big impact and will bea big loss.

I'm not sure where that leaves him got next year. It's a judgement call for those who know more. I hope we sign him if the money and medical is right.

But some folk have got very very carried away! He's not Cafu. He's got zero chance of playing for Fulham in the prem next year.

Very good player at this level, looks like he could play the next one up so hopefully the injury heals fully and we get him. But if not then I'm sure we'll recruit well elsewhere. Probably in January...

He was our best player. I don’t care what anyone says he could do things the rest cannot. He injected a direct element to our game with his pace and running power that we’ve lacked all season. It stretched teams and made this system.

I think it would be pretty impossible to find a wing back with his qualities and we sure as hell don’t have another in the squad even close. The main thing was he didn’t turn round. He got the ball and drove. We don’t have a single other player who brings that and that’s why it’s a big big loss.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:08 pm

I suspect Evatt has a few on his radar that are similar to Fossey. Look at Kioso, he seemed similar and to a lesser extent Hickman. Theres clearly an idea as to the player he wants and who they need to scout for so I think they'll manage to find someone, hopefully they'll be as good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:11 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:08 pm
I suspect Evatt has a few on his radar that are similar to Fossey. Look at Kioso, he seemed similar and to a lesser extent Hickman. Theres clearly an idea as to the player he wants and who they need to scout for so I think they'll manage to find someone, hopefully they'll be as good.
Kioso I liked but he’s not Fossey. Not close.

You need that electric pace and strength and the willingness to drive forwards every time. And of course the quality to deliver the ball at full pelt. I’ve not seen one like him in this league. Not even close.

Evatt has said we want to sign him regardless of the injury and he believes we are front of the queue. Let’s hope we do and he stays fit.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Mar wrote:
I rather suspect Mar's point is not a comparison – although Kioso is playing in the second tier - but that we keep finding players, within an expanding budget.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
I rather suspect Mar's point is not a comparison – although Kioso is playing in the second tier - but that we keep finding players, within an expanding budget.
That was my point. As we get better we'll be looking for players more adept to what that role requires (by Evatt's definition at least) and I think we were seeing that play out over time. We had signed Hickman and had players like Brockbank and Baptiste as cover. Hickman looked really good attacking without an end product against Grimsby (the team who finished rock bottom) so it seemed like Evatt decided a change was needed and Kioso was brought in. Fast forward and he does the same to bring in Fossey and we kicked on again in a higher league. I'm sure Evatt will be looking forward to bringing in someone at that standard or better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:39 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:02 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
That was my point. As we get better we'll be looking for players more adept to what that role requires (by Evatt's definition at least) and I think we were seeing that play out over time. We had signed Hickman and had players like Brockbank and Baptiste as cover. Hickman looked really good attacking without an end product against Grimsby (the team who finished rock bottom) so it seemed like Evatt decided a change was needed and Kioso was brought in. Fast forward and he does the same to bring in Fossey and we kicked on again in a higher league. I'm sure Evatt will be looking forward to bringing in someone at that standard or better.
It’s a balance thing. Evatt brings good players in but Fossey added qualities that I think we will struggle to find in a wing back at this level. Evatt for me has sometimes not balanced up exactly what we need. And I’d worry that replacing Fossey is very hard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 pm

I doubt anyone would disagree that a non-injured Fossey would be a great signing. Evatt's said (think you mentioned) that we're still interested. But an injured Fossey isn't any use to us, however good he might be when not injured. As Ghosty says, should depend on a few factors, including how much Flossie wants and weighing that against and whatever the medical team see as the likely outcome.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 am

If Fossey can get fit (and if the medics believe he can stay fit) I think we all want him back. I'd happily take Kioso back. He's a different player from Fossey, but he's shown at MK that he can very really effective at this level and Evatt showed he knows how to use him.

The player get doesn't have to be a Fossey clone. I don't agree that Evatt has failed to balance us up. I think he and Markham have done exceptionally well considering the realities of football. Sometimes you have to look at who is available and imagine how the team can work, rather than trying to find a player who might not exist in the current market.

Same goes for if Santos leaves. Regardless of what some posters think, I assume most accept that Evatt's ideal Santos replacement would look very similar to Santos - pace, power, size, ability with the ball and calmness when pressed. Not many players look like Santos, so we'd likely have to imagine what our defence would look like with another sort of player in his place. Maybe we get a more natural defender, more aggression etc - but we'll almost certainly lose other attributes and have to adjust what we do to compensate.

Again with Dapo and anyone else who might leave. I think Evatt and Markham understand how to build squads and I think we'll do okay; but every transfer window is difficult, even at this level. Pace and power would be very welcome anywhere on the pitch, as would more nouse. We'll see how it goes and I'll look forward to seeing what we look like next season. Should be loads of fun.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:37 am

Evatt update: Izzy in the reserves this afternoon; Sexy Kieran a possibility v Wigan; Tutte (remember him? I didn't) out for the season.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... e-fitness/
(Lee:) He's progressing, he's running again. His heel, the wound is healing all the time. It has really been the wound that is holding us back the most, we need that to close up and stop the soreness. But in terms of inside the heel, the spur has been removed and things are looking really positive. We still think he's on course for the end of this month.

Izzy has returned sooner than we thought. He is back in full training now and obviously there are two reserve games in the two-week window where we can give people minutes and time to play to get them ready for those up the road when we return.

(Tutte:) Following his hamstring injury, he picked up quite a nasty calf injury and when rehabilitating for that, when getting close to returning to training he’s re-done it. I don’t think he will be fit for the remainder of the season.