Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:53 am

Poor old Andy Tutte. Had he been fit he’d of likely been in that team during the winter and who knows - he was quite a neat footballer at times last season. He’ll likely end up at Oldham or somewhere next year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:49 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:53 am
Poor old Andy Tutte. Had he been fit he’d of likely been in that team during the winter and who knows - he was quite a neat footballer at times last season. He’ll likely end up at Oldham or somewhere next year.
I wish him well, but I hope he hasn't got a big mortgage. Decent player and apparently a decent bloke, but even strugglers and stragglers might be wary given his injury record – he's 32 in September and hasn't managed a 20-game season since before the Brexit referendum.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:49 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:49 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:53 am
I wish him well, but I hope he hasn't got a big mortgage. Decent player and apparently a decent bloke, but even strugglers and stragglers might be wary given his injury record – he's 32 in September and hasn't managed a 20-game season since before the Brexit referendum.
I take your point in using these as a barometer and that is useful. It does help look at where we might be up to the level we aspire to and where we might not. And it does provide much better context than Crewe or Morecambe.

However teams at this stage near the top often find ways to win and we have nothing really to play for. And the past few weeks we’ve in truth seen a drop in intensity presumably as we’ve started to see we’ve little chance of really threatening the top 6.

So yes it’s a benchmark. But I am for example, expecting Wigan to beat us. Because they are a better team and have something to play for. We do not. And when or if that happens we should probably look more at Wigan and what they’ve got that we’ve lacked this season across the whole piece. Because I do think we lack the ability to just win games efficiently and grind out win after win at this level. We can go on good runs but it relies on us collectively and individually being good. Wigan win a lot of games without necessarily being the better side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Oh yeah I don't think the results will be an unerring guide to likely finishing position next season. But the manner of performance – notwithstanding our relative lack of skin in the game – should give tactical food for thought.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:57 am

Interesting to see the above conversation given we're now 2/3rds of the way through that benchmark week – we've drawn twice, not been humiliated, but also couldn't argue we were much the better team. Not far away, but not near enough to pre-book the Town Hall steps.

Anyway I came back to this thread 'cos we had three players limp off last night with hamstring injuries – Santos, Dapo, Dempsey. Given our season only has 25 days left, that might be them done. Had we still harboured hopes of a play-off run, losing three big players would have been a huge blow, but with the season done, we have unusual lassitude to try things out.

But what holes do they leave?

SANTOS leaves the biggest hole 'cos he's the biggest bloke. But also because he often dictates our gameplan by coming out with the ball, attracting oppos and finding midfielders in space. I said late in last night's game that we weren't showing enough and I think that's partly because Pompey weren't drawn to our other centre-backs, so they could choke off supply lines. Aimson will often try the long diagonal - sometimes well, sometimes badly - and Johnston likes his vertical alley-balls, but neither open up the oppo like Big Reekz does.

Given that, I'm genuinely torn whether in absentio santosium we're better playing a back three or four. I don't think Gethin's a CB in a two, but then I'm not sure if Aimson and Johnston are either. And if we plop them in a three to cover each other's weaknesses, who goes RWB? Is the Sadlier thing working? Should we see if Senior, who is out of contract, is worth a longer look?

DAPO needs a break and we have options. We could play Kacha but I'd like to see Amaechi get a go, see if he's worth pondering for next season. We'll miss the Dapster but hopefully a decent rest and he'll come back firing in a stronger XI next year. Can't help but think a timely injury might deter one or two potential buyers, too, but that might just be wishful thinking - and if we're going to get offers, Dapo (with his goals and his long contract) is literally our best asset.

DEMPSEY didn't excel on arrival but since being switched deeper from 10 he's started to look like an Evatt midfielder who wants the ball, but with a nice side-order of physicality - he rattles into tackles. MJ is the obvious replacement to sit alongside Morley, but it suddenly looks thin again, especially if we don't rush Sexy Kieran back. Wonder if Thommo might get some minutes, again to see what he can do ahead of next season (his last under contract and his last as an underage player)?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Sheehan is back "on the grass". V doubtful we'll see him before the end of the season I'd have thought but it's a bonus of sorts!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:58 pm

I like watching Sheehan play football, so I'll be delighted to see him back in the squad next season. I'm not sure he cures our ills, but I'd love to see what he could do at '10' now we are a proper team. I think he'd score goals.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:55 pm
Sheehan is back "on the grass".

It's terrible what a lengthy spell on the sidelines can do to a player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:54 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:40 pm
It's terrible what a lengthy spell on the sidelines can do to a player.
Insane has been calling for more speed. Have I completely misunderstood what he was asking for?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sheehan is back "on the grass". V doubtful we'll see him before the end of the season I'd have thought but it's a bonus of sorts!
Can we even play Sheehan this season? I would've thought that given the extra bodies brought in that he would've been one of those de-registered to make way for the new incomers, aswell as Tutte.

Reserve team football I suspect for Sheehan, if at all

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:33 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Can we even play Sheehan this season? I would've thought that given the extra bodies brought in that he would've been one of those de-registered to make way for the new incomers, aswell as Tutte.

Reserve team football I suspect for Sheehan, if at all
Yeah he wasn’t registered post Jan transfer window so can’t play even if he was fit. Don’t think he’ll be kicking a ball for another couple of months yet.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:11 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 pm
Yeah he wasn’t registered post Jan transfer window so can’t play even if he was fit. Don’t think he’ll be kicking a ball for another couple of months yet.
I don't think we'd want him to. It's the kind of injury typically treated with the utmost caution. I'll be delighted if he's ready for the start of next season.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:12 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:11 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 pm
I don't think we'd want him to. It's the kind of injury typically treated with the utmost caution. I'll be delighted if he's ready for the start of next season.
Yeah exactly, no need to rush him back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:22 am

Evatt: “Demps should be okay for the Easter period and Dapo as well.” Rico out for the season though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:44 am

Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:22 am
Evatt: “Demps should be okay for the Easter period and Dapo as well.” Rico out for the season though.
Bit of gamesman ship? Sounds a bit like he was expecting us to lose to Sheffield and saved both to end the season with ? To get a point regardless was a bit of a triumph though and to our credit. If Demps and Dapo had played...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:44 am
Bit of gamesman ship? Sounds a bit like he was expecting us to lose to Sheffield and saved both to end the season with ? To get a point regardless was a bit of a triumph though and to our credit. If Demps and Dapo had played...
I don't buy that at all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:07 pm

Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:15 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
I don't buy that at all.
Yeah. Me neither. No point risking anyone now for games that are generally meaningless to us.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:07 pm
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:15 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
I don't buy that at all.
Yeah. Me neither. No point risking anyone now for games that are generally meaningless to us.
Ah well, that's where we disagree see. There's no such thing as a meaningless game to me. Why bother playing?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:25 am

Because we have to Tango.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:54 am

I think between now and season-end the games are important, the results less so (not withstanding how sweet Saturday's late equaliser felt ;) )
I mentioned before the Pompey game, let's be seeing a few players (not just Sadlier) in a few different positions. I'd also like to see us give the kids we're looking to keep some game time.
May the bridges I burn light your way