Not the only Wanderers..v Wycombe away 20-Nov 3-O clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Not the only Wanderers..v Wycombe away 20-Nov 3-O clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm

Didn't see the game, yesterday, but struggling to see how them scoring one, hitting the inside of a post and missing a penalty wouldn't have had them complaining if we'd won 1-0. I'd have been fcuking fuming...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm
Didn't see the game, yesterday, but struggling to see how them scoring one, hitting the inside of a post and missing a penalty wouldn't have had them complaining if we'd won 1-0. I'd have been fcuking fuming...
I did see it, and it was a tight game that could easily have gone either way. Whether they could have complained or not is entirely down to their personalities, as so many reactions are.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:44 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:22 am
noted Toby Brittany was engaging on Twitter last night promising signings.
I saw he was saying "keep the faith" or some such. Where did he promise signings?

He just sent a tweet stating there would be January reinforcements. I don't know if he was necessarily implying that there are exciting signings already lined up, just that we would be signing players.

I think people might've read slightly too much into it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:04 pm
Yep there’s a couple of replies gone. I’d only had a couple of pints so I’m not making it up.
Probably got told to delete it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:12 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm
He just sent a tweet stating there would be January reinforcements. I don't know if he was necessarily implying that there are exciting signings already lined up, just that we would be signing players.

At least that ties in with the rumblings from Evatt about funds being available "if needed"......bloody well needed, lads.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:12 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm

At least that ties in with the rumblings from Evatt about funds being available "if needed"......bloody well needed, lads.

As the first transfer window where we definitely know we aren't operating under any restrictions imposed by the EFL it's going to be interesting to see how we approach it.

I'm not particularly hopeful we'll spend money on transfer fees because 1. I'm not sure there's much money to spend, and 2. clubs tend not to do their main business in January.

I'd rather be happy than right, though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm
As the first transfer window where we definitely know we aren't operating under any restrictions imposed by the EFL it's going to be interesting to see how we approach it.

I'm not particularly hopeful we'll spend money on transfer fees because 1. I'm not sure there's much money to spend, and 2. clubs tend not to do their main business in January.

I think we'll have to pay a couple of fees, but we're all guessing. I think it'll be a case of buying out some lads whose contracts are expiring and we will probably already be talking to clubs about it.

We will probably all have names in mind where we think "if only", but ultimately we are left hoping they get in lads who can both have an immediate impact and carry us forward mid to long term.

Other than that it's loans, being realistic.

Hope they play a blinder.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm
Yellow card for un-internetly conduct.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Out of interested, for those who know more about the inner workings of the club that I do: What is the current state of play as per the "DoF" vs Evatt on the transfers. Since Phoenix got binned is it basically all Evatt's call, or is it just that Evatt has much more say? Is Markham running that side of things, or does he exist purely to support IE?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm
Oi, DSB. Who is available in the Premier League who can be this January's version of Keiran Lee? :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 pm
Out of interested, for those who know more about the inner workings of the club that I do: What is the current state of play as per the "DoF" vs Evatt on the transfers. Since Phoenix got binned is it basically all Evatt's call, or is it just that Evatt has much more say? Is Markham running that side of things, or does he exist purely to support IE?
No inside line, but Markham is "technical performance director" as opposed to DoF. On his arrival Evatt said the following, per BN:
Me and Chris are firmly aligned in the vision we want for Bolton Wanderers. He brings a huge skillset to the table and he’s helping with my education as well. People forget that I’m a young manager as well, this is only my third year of being a manager and I had some success early to get this fantastic job now. But I am still progressing and I learn new things all the time. It’s great to bounce ideas off someone who worked with the England manager, or with David Wagner when he was a younger coach at Huddersfield.

It is about improving and doing the best for Bolton Wanderers. That’s what we all want, the end goal. The board, Chris, myself, all have the very best interests of Bolton at heart and want to progress. We have the same vision and I hope it’ll come to fruition soon.
Markham’s appointment was confirmed on the same day as new chief financial officer Scott Lindsay.
Scott, I’m going to meet for the first time today, he’s very much a board appointment. My relationship with the board is excellent so if they think he’s the right character and the right person for the job then I’m fully on board with that.

With Chris, I’ve had a bit more of a say, to be honest. I recommended Chris to the board. Chris is somebody that has obviously had a fantastic career and being a young man, he’s done a lot in the game. He was at Huddersfield for eight years, they progressed really well, was in touch and in contact with a lot of their managers from the modern coach, the Wagners, to the old school ones in Lee Clark and then went to the FA and has worked with England’s first team, worked with England from all ages and has a lot of skills and the way the game’s going now and the way the game’s moving on, he brings a lot to the table and a bit of everything really.

He’s excellent with data, an excellent analyst, excellent with recruitment so he’ll be a big help to me moving forwards.
Now, I took that – not to mention Evatt's promotion from "head coach" to "manager" - as meaning Evatt was over Markham. Bear in mind also that Evatt saw off Phoenix, who *was* hierarchically above him, and for me it's clearly Evatt in charge. How that shakes out behind the scenes, I don't know, but I don't get the impression Markham can force Evatt to do anything. (What is and hopefully will remain a moot question is whether the board would ask Markham to also assess potential managerial replacements...)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:12 pm
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm
Oi, DSB. Who is available in the Premier League who can be this January's version of Keiran Lee? :D
As it happens, I'm working today so I can do a bit of a scout about, and indeed I've started :D . However, forget the Prem. I'm still looking at Champo fringers who might be (1) available (2) affordable (3) amenable to moving. Not turned up much yet.

Currently nosing around Hull – promoted last season, currently 21st, only above the dots on goal difference (they beat Brum yesterday).

Randell Williams - Again, I mentioned him in summer when he left Exeter: "24-year-old Londoner Williams, who scored the equaliser in our last home game, is a right winger who can also play right-back, and came up through the Spurs, Palace and Watford academies; he was one of L2's leading assisters last season and almost moved to an unnamed L1 team in January but couldn't agree terms, and Exeter have been resigned since to losing him." As it turned out he vaulted straight past League One - where he played 20 times for Wycombe - into Hull's freshly-promoted second-tier squad, but before yesterday he'd only played five times (two starts), and four of them were in August. He's had Covid and the odd knock but has also been simply left out. Let's see if yesterday's 19-minute sub appearance is a blip for the man who the season before last got 14 assists in 37 D4 games and has also played on the left.

Brandon Fleming - Attacking left-back, played 10 times for us on loan in early 2020; has only played 10 times since, including just once this season. Was on the bench in the league opener but hasn't been in the match day squad since. In Nov 2020 the club extended his contract to 2023, with a year's option.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm
However, forget the Prem
Boo. Where's my aging star from two divisions above who is way too classy for the league we're in?

Is it Dale Stephens? It is, isn't it...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:24 pm
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm
However, forget the Prem
Boo. Where's my aging star from two divisions above who is way too classy for the league we're in?

Is it Dale Stephens? It is, isn't it...
Well, the hometown hero hasn't played a league minute since February and hasn't started a league game since Halloween 2020, but Burnley don't give up players very easily.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Not sure we will be able to avoid fees. Loans and buying out contracts in January might be enough but I suspect not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm

"They had one or two moments," quoth Evatt, "but that was it, and they scored from a cross and a very, very good header. It was probably the only place he could score – but that's what you get when you have ex-Premier League players in your squad."
Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.38.53.png
Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.38.53.png (114.26 KiB) Viewed 828 times
∆ Ex-Premier League player Declan John not cutting out a cross
Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.39.06.png
Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.39.06.png (331.51 KiB) Viewed 828 times
∆ Ex-Premier League player Alex Baptiste not lifting either heel off the ground while Sam Vokes scores

I get his point – and Vokes was Prem much more recently than either of those two – but rein it in, lad

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:06 pm

He's really heading well and truly into Keith Hill territory with some of the complete and utter horseshit he's chiming out. It's embarrassing. Colin Murray was very kind to him last night, but Evatt should at least realise that what he says is being noted.
May the bridges I burn light your way