Exchanging Corn...V Doncaster at home, 23/11/21 8 'O clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Exchanging Corn...V Doncaster at home, 23/11/21 8 'O clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:55 pm
Kachunga has been excellent tonight. Real professional fight to the end performance.

Gordon will rightly get the plaudits, difficult one to call as to MOTM.

Great result and performance.
Agree with all that. Kacha - goal, assist and 90 minutes of effort. Starting to look the part now.

Props to Johnston, too. Shame about Dapo's card and fingers crossed on Izzy. But TBH not dissimilar to the Crewe game - after a tight first half hour we looked much much better all over, if not exactly free-flowing. Just hoping Fleetwood is more of the same – they were beaten 3-1 tonight at Covid-wracked Oxford - and then we just need one more patsy for the last space below the dots.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:53 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:18 pm
Room on the couch if you want to watch.

PM for details.
No thanks. My only watch this season didn't exactly go very well the other night :lol:
See, much better when I don't watch :oyea:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 pm

BTW Wycombe won 3-0 at Plymouth.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:55 pm
Kachunga has been excellent tonight. Real professional fight to the end performance.

Gordon will rightly get the plaudits, difficult one to call as to MOTM.

Great result and performance.
Between these two though methinks for MOTM. Both did well. I was going to say I think Gordon shaded it for playing out of position, but I might have said "he's never a fcuking left back" once or twice, so perhaps he was playing "in position"...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Gordon or John motm for me. If Kachunga had put another chance away he would have it - worked very hard.

Gordon yeah…looked sharper and a lot happier having a go on the right, but the nagging doubt is that’s as much the opposition. See what Saturday brings as he’ll keep his place. The attraction was that Isgrove would be working hard in front of him to assist i get…we’ll see but we are not blessed with options. Shitter about Lloyd and we will miss Dapo on Saturday big time.

But that’s a big win…due some good luck tbf. Happy with that!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 pm

A good, professional performance with a number of players contributing well. I'm wary of taking too much from it because they looked near certainties for relegation but considering the severity of our injury crisis it wasn't difficult to envisage it being a difficult night for us and in the end we won it at a canter. Well done all.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 pm
A good, professional performance with a number of players contributing well. I'm wary of taking too much from it because they looked near certainties for relegation but, considering the severity of our injury crisis, it wasn't difficult to envisage it being a difficult night for us and in the end we won it at a canter. Well done all.
Exactly this. We could've let our heads drop after Isgrove came off, knowing that we had further injury problems, but the team seemed to galvanize and make the best of it. Should've been a few more given the level of performance was comfortable, but happy days with that game.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Good & important win even against 10 men, we looked a lot better with Johnston in midfield he looks comfortable in that position and should start there on Saturday. I thought that everyone played well, but it was easy against a very poor side down to 10 men - it actually should have been 4 or 5.

Hopefully that's a confidence booster for everyone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 pm

Their front man (no 20) was spoiling for it right from the start. He was in the ref's ear a couple of times. Didn't like him...He's not getting a Christmas card... :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:56 pm

M.O.T.M might actually be boss man Evatt. Good sensible substitutions and pulling off a win despite our problems. Must have had good words at half time despite lousy luck. Playing against ten men isn't always a recipe for success. I'd be pleased if I were him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Hello. Just home. Two things I've taken from tonight - (1) If Kachunga had more self-belief he could be good; (2) Amaechi operates on a level that the rest of our squad will only ever dream of. His movement off the ball, his control, vision and general ability are absolutely first class.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Still looks more like a trip than violent conduct, which it'd have to be for red (there).

Anyway. Nice to have that to "discuss" rather than how many babies to throw out with the bathwater. Good end to the half. Nowt silly now. Maybe even retain some energy by stroking it about. And I like BWFCi's idea - get Amaechi on to run at them. Possibly Delf too because he's arguably a more likely Dapo replacement.

And if we're two or more clear with 15 left, rest Doyler for Henry and let him run at them. Lad's like Billy Whizz.
You're missing the third, which having seen the video it must be, which is "serious foul play". It's the reason a two-footer (/high tackle etc) is a red, and different to violent conduct which is the handbags "he's hit him in the face" one.

The wording of that had changed (we've had reckless v dangerous fairly recently) but I think the current wording is "endangering an opponent". I think he's *tried* to do the cynical trip him, but accidentally raked him down the back of the calf. I have very little sympathy for those. Loads of them are dangerous and I think you take your chances. 9/10 you trip them and it's a booking. The 1/10 you go scraping down the back of the calf or achilles, tough shit it's a red.
Last edited by Prufrock on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:37 am

Said before it was a test and fair feck* to Evatt we came through it. Sounds like they're baaad, but you are allowed to play the bad teams and given the injuries any win is a good one. We'll be minimum of 1ppg when the window opens which I'd have taken. The more we can get in the next 6 the better.

You don't see many left footers at right back outside Saturday league so fair feck* to Liam. What happened when Izzy went off? Assume Johnstone into midfield with Lee and Tommo, Dapo left and Kachunga right? (Assuming Kachunga started left with Izzy right).

Izzy injury is a bitch. It feels like a kind of self propelling issue where the more injuries you get the more minutes the fit ones have to play and the more likely they are to get injured. Crewe and Donny sound like the worst two, but six points out of that six. Not much to fear in the oppo for the next few weeks (though have to think they'll be better) but it'll be reet!

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 am

With all the doom and gloom on social media and forums such as this (naming no names) its slightly odd to look at the table and see us in 11th with 25 points from 19 games.

Don’t get me wrong, the next month and a bit until we can get some reinforcements in will be tough but we should just about be able to scrape through.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:57 am

We should complain to the EFL about them not turning up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:54 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:10 pm
Hello. Just home. Two things I've taken from tonight - (1) If Kachunga had more self-belief he could be good; (2) Amaechi operates on a level that the rest of our squad will only ever dream of. His movement off the ball, his control, vision and general ability are absolutely first class.
Yeah on point two especially. He stands out a mile as a player clearly from a much higher level. Whether he can translate all that into serious end product we will see. But absolutely has vision and pace and ability for higher than the rest of our side.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 am

Interesting thoughts on Xav. I thought he looked lively on iFollow, but wouldn't have picked him as a stand out, so it's good to hear those comments from people who were there.

Let's hope we can get his loan extended, because it would be frustrating to get him back up to full fitness only to immediately have to send him back. Could be a dangerous combination with Dapo at this level.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:54 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:10 pm
Yeah on point two especially. He stands out a mile as a player clearly from a much higher level. Whether he can translate all that into serious end product we will see. But absolutely has vision and pace and ability for higher than the rest of our side.
A 'problem' I noticed is that he wants the ball played into areas where he can run onto it, whereas we seem to feel the need to play it in to feet. I hope we see a case of other players realising this and acting accordingly, rather than have Amaechi 'dumb down' as it were.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 am

Good stuff re Xav - kind of thing you don’t pick up on iFollow. Interesting choice for sat between him and Delf to replace Dapo.

Johnston will start in midfield I think. I don’t think he played that well there but he certainly gave us a better balance and let GT off the leash a bit - who played better from then on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:45 am

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 pm
Imagine another injury. That would make 4. :D
:lol: