More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Re: More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Is Doyle playing with an injury?
Don't think he's been the same player since The 'Rona.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:16 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:06 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
He's going to be fighting for his place when everybody is fit. I'd like to see him keep it, but he needs to sharpen up
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 pm

Just seen a replay of the first goal. C’mon that’s a shocking goalkeeping error. Not sure we can afford a keeper who keeps chucking them in the net.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:06 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

I think it might have more to do with age than anything else. I do also think he's been rushed back from injury, though.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm
We’ve got Dapo to come back and play with Xav. Kachunga hitting form. It’s a decent place to be up top. And leaves us with some hope we can get results till January.

4 points from these two considering how weakened we are is good and a couple of wins in December if we can find a way could leave us able to springboard with the right sort of January window. I hope we can keep Xav.
Love the positivity Insano! :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We’ve got Dapo to come back and play with Xav. Kachunga hitting form. It’s a decent place to be up top. And leaves us with some hope we can get results till January.

4 points from these two considering how weakened we are is good and a couple of wins in December if we can find a way could leave us able to springboard with the right sort of January window. I hope we can keep Xav.
Look. We can't have all this positivity. Enjoyed Xav's goal and a few tricks. But. He lost it a lot, ran it into dead ends and is fairly greedy in terms of picking shoot or set up a mate...but a good day all round.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm
brommers95 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Look. We can't have all this positivity. Enjoyed Xav's goal and a few tricks. But. He lost it a lot, ran it into dead ends and is fairly greedy in terms of picking shoot or set up a mate...but a good day all round.
Normal service resumed, thanks Worthy :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:29 am

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm
brommers95 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Normal service resumed, thanks Worthy :mrgreen:
You're very welcome :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 pm
Just seen a replay of the first goal. C’mon that’s a shocking goalkeeping error. Not sure we can afford a keeper who keeps chucking them in the net.
Gordon was badly at fault for the first. Whether it was due to playing on his less natural side, I don't know but I'd like to think their chap wouldn't have even got a shot in from that position, were Jones playing.

Dixons a good shot stopper as he demonstrated just prior to that first goal.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:35 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 pm
Gordon was badly at fault for the first. Whether it was due to playing on his less natural side, I don't know but I'd like to think their chap wouldn't have even got a shot in from that position, were Jones playing.

Dixons a good shot stopper as he demonstrated just prior to that first goal.
I think you're right on Gordon, he gets "stuck" trying to turn. But I do think Dixon will be disappointed too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 am

I thought Evatt had possibly his best game for us yesterday - displayed some excellent management.

Cheltenham had, quite rightly, identified Gordon at right back as our gaping hole and exploited it accordingly and scored both their's by going in via that route (though Dixon went full Ben Amos on one of 'em). So swapping Amitri and Kachunga's positions to give Gordon greater protection and to allow him to get further forward (at which he was excellent) was a smart move, but switching to a three at the back for the second half worked brilliantly. Also, Evatt made exactly the right substitutions at exactly the right times.

I'm often critical of Evatt, so today I'm delighted to say - well done, Fella.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:56 am

Was at a wedding, only just got round to watching highlights. What a beauty from Kachunga. Didn't think he'd come good but delighted to be wrong.
That first goal was a horror show from both of them, good grief. Second goal embarrassingly easy too.

4 points from the 2 games is decent in the circumstances, especially given Cheltenham's recent form.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:35 pm

Yeah first is shocking from Gordon and Amos, I mean Dixon. Reminiscent of the one Gilks got hammered for on the opening day. Second goal is a great ball but caught Gordon flat footed. Sooner Jones back the better, seems to have gone quiet on that front? Good news re MJ though.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:37 pm

I personally did not blame Gordon for the first goal. The second yes, as he lost his runner in a fraction of second as he thought the pass would have been intercepted by Aimson who went to ground. Where was his cover for the first when he was one-one with the attacker? Where was Xavi? Sleep walking up field when Gordon delayed the attacker. Where was Santos positioning cover when the player stepped inside? He was way too deep.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:37 pm
I personally did not blame Gordon for the first goal. The second yes, as he lost his runner in a fraction of second as he thought the pass would have been intercepted by Aimson who went to ground. Where was his cover for the first when he was one-one with the attacker? Where was Xavi? Sleep walking up field when Gordon delayed the attacker. Where was Santos positioning cover when the player stepped inside? He was way too deep.
Well, here's the footage, so folks can decide for themselves:

For me (and speaking as a long-term full-back) Liam gets done too easily by Alfie May, who beats him on his left (ie good) side. Furthermore, there's a split-second after May beats him that he sort of straightens up and slows down, instead of straining to recover his mistake; perhaps he thinks that Santos is going to come to his rescue, and you're right that the skipper isn't quick to come forward, but IMO he shouldn't have to. I would fully expect a b0ll0cking for that, and I think it's telling that Liam turns his back on his skipper because I think he knows it.

For the record, it is also a Gilkesesque poor goal for the keeper to concede, and I remain sceptical that Dixon is good enough if we want to be a top-six team in this division. But he shouldn't have had to face a shot from where May picked up the ball.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:58 pm

Have watched the highlights several times plus seeing the game. Each time the failings to score from Doyle and Baptiste would have got boos in a Moss Bank game. Two decent players, but we can't afford to miss gilt-edged chances like these. At season's end those two points lost twice might really hurt us. Not sure why a striker like Doyle didn't use his left foot to shoot. At least Baptiste had a blast.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:02 pm

Agree DSB. There's been a lot of talk about winning the personal battle, and for me, from a decent position, Gordon loses that one comprehensively. But Dixon is well placed for the shot and loses his also. Comedy defending.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:10 pm

For me, I blame the team rather than one player. We defend very badly as a team. It has been our Achilles heal the whole season along with our set plays. And that's why the top teams will beat us. They punish this our weakness while the lower teams pass up opportunities. Its not one player. Collectively we defend badly. Hope we are able to fix it in January.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:25 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:10 pm
For me, I blame the team rather than one player. We defend very badly as a team. It has been our Achilles heal the whole season along with our set plays. And that's why the top teams will beat us. They punish this our weakness while the lower teams pass up opportunities. Its not one player. Collectively we defend badly. Hope we are able to fix it in January.
That still holds for me as well, if you're constantly conceding two or more, something can't be correct. But within that, there's been plenty of personal mistakes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm

For me (and speaking as a long-term full-back)
Well yeah, you and me both, Buddy. However, ultimately, you write stuff and I sell stuff for a reason. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way