More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:58 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:47 pm
Oh Liam. That’s the worst shot I’ve seen since Deano.
Oh Baps that's the worst shot I've seen since Liam.
Oh KP thats the worst comment i've seen since DSB.

Thought Thomason had one of his better games today. That distribution in behind on the left was really beneficial.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm

I’ll take it 👍

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm

We’ve got Dapo to come back and play with Xav. Kachunga hitting form. It’s a decent place to be up top. And leaves us with some hope we can get results till January.

4 points from these two considering how weakened we are is good and a couple of wins in December if we can find a way could leave us able to springboard with the right sort of January window. I hope we can keep Xav.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:03 pm

What a wonderful game of football. Players and Gaffer with the change of formation during the game deserve credit. Superb goal by Kachunga; Suberb passing by Thommo; Superb attacking by both full backs; Amiechi is some player. I hope we can keep him for the rest of the season. A point I never expected considering our injuries. Well done.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Deserved better on second half

Dodger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Dodger » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:09 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:03 pm
What a wonderful game of football. Players and Gaffer with the change of formation during the game deserve credit. Superb goal by Kachunga; Suberb passing by Thommo; Superb attacking by both full backs; Amiechi is some player. I hope we can keep him for the rest of the season. A point I never expected considering our injuries. Well done.
Totally agree great game of football -lads did good 👍

Dodger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Dodger » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:10 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:03 pm
Totally agree great game of football -lads did good 👍

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:57 pm
That’s a pretty good result all things considered. Could have won it. But twice fell behind so to come away with a point is encouraging. Not sure there is a huge amount between ourselves and Cheltenham to be honest.
There's not a lot between us, which is credit to the players we've thrown together out there. As I say, players like Gordon and Tomo looked far more comfortable in a mid-table League One game than several of us – me and thee included - had feared.

Following on from what you've said, and what Evatt said pre-match about six of our eight defeats being against the top six. I'm just looking at the results spread - from before today. Looks like this:
smaller.jpeg
smaller.jpeg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Couple of ways of looking at it, I suppose. The negative way is that we've not even scored a goal against the top six, let alone got a point; and furthermore, that our of four home wins, three have come against three of the bottom four.

The positive view, and the one you may not be surprised to hear I take, is that we're better than the bottom teams, which is always the first aim after any promotion; we've played a lot of the middle-third teams away, and beaten them, so hopefully we can do the same at home in the second half of the season; and as for the top-six losses, I'd say we only really looked hopeless v Wigan and Plymouth – the rest seemed perhaps savvier than us but not necessarily light-years clear.

I've said all along that I see us as being a middle-third team, and today sort of sums that up. In the second half we played really well, IMO, and should have won, but we not for the first time weren't clinical enough in attack, having been yet again not good enough in defence. However, it's not as bad as those two admittedly major problems might make it seem. We have a clear way of playing, even the fringe lads subscribe to it, and I think we'll be alright this season. With a few signings we may even threaten a late run at the play-offs. Whether we'd be good enough if we did sneak up is a whole other topic, but for now I'm happy to see us look competent in this division.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:23 pm

One other thing - I know people fear it, and I do myself a bit, but I think we should try the back three v Fleetwood in Tuesday's Sherpa Sh!tshow game.

I'm not sure it's the future – I'm not even sure we should play it v Fleetwood in the league next weekend - but it's not like we have a lot of options right now and I think it might suit some of our players, who are struggling in certain areas, better than a back four. Namely:
• Being one of three suits Johnston better, because we have more cover, and height via Aimson. Also gives him a bit more space to stride out.
• Sort of the same the other side with Aimson - allows him to come out with the ball, and he has more cover if he dozes.
• Arguably suits Declan better than being a full-back, with all its tracking back.
• Gives extra cover in behind Gordon, who looked excitingly confident going forward but clearly has lapses defensively.
• Gives support across midfield to the stretched pair of Tomo and Lee.

I'm also very intrigued to see us play with the "two 10s" formation if it can harness Dapo and Xav. True, it could force out the fast-improving Kachunga, but TBH I'd play him up front on Tuesday and rest Doyle, who didn't look sharp today and I'd save him for Saturday's league game. (I also think Kachunga would bring a different kind of front-three interplay with Xav and Dapo.)

As I say, I don't necessarily prefer the back three to the back four, and it certainly has weaknesses, but it might be the best way to shuffle the chairs until January.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Fair result that.

I was disappointed with Doyle today. I know he's a poacher but he's got to work the centre backs harder. The number of uncontested headers their no4 was able to do. By contrast, Kyle Vassell their no9 wasn't giving Santos a minutes peace.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:48 pm

DSB, twice you mentioned a match next Saturday, Don't think we have a game
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:56 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:48 pm
DSB, twice you mentioned a match next Saturday, Don't think we have a game
You're very right – it's FA Cup Second Round day. Sorry.

We play Fleetwood on two successive Tuesdays: three nights from now at ours in the Sherpa Sh!tshow, then a week later at theirs in the world's oldest football league. Fleetwood also lost in the FA Cup, but next Saturday they're playing a league game at Accy - coincidentally, who we face the following Saturday. That Tuesday is a full League One card - Accy are home to AFC Wombles.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:01 pm

Happy enough with that. I’m very confident we’d have won that game with a fully fit squad.

Dapo, Xav and Kacha starting together is a pretty enticing proposition for our upcoming games. Not sure many League One defences could live with that combo.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:41 pm
Fair result that.

I was disappointed with Doyle today. I know he's a poacher but he's got to work the centre backs harder. The number of uncontested headers their no4 was able to do. By contrast, Kyle Vassell their no9 wasn't giving Santos a minutes peace.
This.^

Taking our vastly depleted side from injuries into account, I was real disappointed with the first half, but we rallied and got a point off a decent team, We really will have to take our chances (and we had them), and although I like Doyle, he really needs to find a killer edge. What a finish we could have had if only Baptiste ( and others) could shoot. Not sure about our disallowed goal, and I thought we had a decent hand-ball shout waved away. Cheltenham played well all game and were hanging on a bit at the death. I'll give their N0 28 M.O.T.M. without a doubt. We could well do with someone like him
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:02 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:41 pm
Fair result that.

This.^

Taking our vastly depleted side from injuries into account, I was real disappointed with the first half, but we rallied and got a point off a decent team, We really will have to take our chances (and we had them), and although I like Doyle, he really needs to find a killer edge. What a finish we could have had if only Baptiste ( and others) could shoot. Not sure about our disallowed goal, and I thought we had a decent hand-ball shout waved away. Cheltenham played well all game and were hanging on a bit at the death. I'll give their N0 28 M.O.T.M. without a doubt. We could well do with someone like him
Aye was glad to see the arse end of him, Kachunga got my vote for us (for his work rather than his excellent goal - can't wait to have a look-see because we were playing far end from me.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Is Doyle playing with an injury?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:49 pm

In the context of what had happened both before and during the match - injury crisis; only two viable substitution options, neither of which were particularly inspiring; up against in-form opposition; coming back from a goal down twice, etc. - I'd genuinely rank that as the performance of the season so far.

Evatt got the tactical change and the substitutions spot on. Johnston was impressive in midfield against weaker opposition on Tuesday night but was finding it difficult this afternoon. Asking him to drop into a back-three was beneficial not only to him but also our naturally advancing full-backs. Kachunga and Ameachi as the two No.10s further forward, though, was the most interesting and potentially most exciting development. I really hope we give that another go. Not for the first time, I thought our forward play became more threatening as the share of possession became more even. The to-and-fro offered us more space, especially in the channels, and we made the most of it. Some of our attacking moves were a delight to watch.

Every player deserves credit. At one nil down, and then conceding just before half-time having previously been dominant, we could easily have felt sorry for ourselves. Instead, we fought valiantly to earn a well-deserved point. It was a shame Ameachi isn't yet fit enough to play ninety minutes. Had he been, I think we might've gone on to win it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:59 pm

For those that watched on the couch, was the score ticker of any benefit?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:04 pm

Didn't catch the game as I was out all afternoon, but looking forward to watching the replay on iFollow (I know we all slate iFollow but credit where credit's due, it is good being able to re-watch the whole match the following day).

On the surface that seems a great result and it looks like it was a good day in terms of other results around the league, helping us to solidify that mid-table spot. Keep grinding out the points lads :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:05 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:59 pm
For those that watched on the couch, was the score ticker of any benefit?
Yes, always nice to see details. Thanks again.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?