January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:33 pm

^ a couple of things I found interesting there.
How much Wigans previous owners were shelling out before they pulled the plug and how well Stoke have done to get their wage bill down so quickly after relegation.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:33 pm
^ a couple of things I found interesting there.
How much Wigans previous owners were shelling out before they pulled the plug and how well Stoke have done to get their wage bill down so quickly after relegation.
Stoke: In the upper graph, they spent £56m on wages in 2018/19, the third-highest in that graph behind Leeds and Villa. Their number in the lower graph (79% wages to turnover) has a red bar, which means it was 2018/19, when they got a £50m parachute payment. In 2019/20 it was £40m, last season £18m, this season nowt, so let's see at their next accounts...

Maybe it'll be a similar story to Wigan's on that chart. Their numbers are from 2018/19, which was their second post-parachute season, their first after being promoted back up from Division Three, and their first season post-Whelan ownership (they sold on 7 Nov 2018). You can see in the top graph that their £19m wage bill is actually the fifth-lowest on the chart, perhaps because it's a League One squad – but represents 168% of their relatively small turnover. They needed to sell more pies.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Just to add to what's been said, payments from the EFL's TV deal (Basic Award) and payments from the Premier League (called Solidarity Payments) vastly increase with promotion to the Championship.

It's not easy to find accurate, up to date figures but I think it's something like this:

Championship
EFL Basic Award = £2.3m
PL Solidarity Payment = £4.5m
Total = £6.8m per season

League One
EFL Basic Award = £732k
PL Solidarity Payment = £675k
Total = £1.407m per season

League Two
EFL Basic Award = £472k
PL Solidarity Payment = £450k
Total = £922k per season

Obviously the wage bill would have to rise if/when we gain promotion to the Championship, but teams such as Coventry and Luton show it is possible to compete with the big spenders if you recruit well and have a good coaching setup.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:34 pm

Toto Nsiala in a shoving and shouting match tonight at Charlton. He may be allowed to leave this next window? Much of a muchness or is he better than what we currently have? Comedy og aside, I liked him when he was here.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:34 pm
Toto Nsiala in a shoving and shouting match tonight at Charlton. He may be allowed to leave this next window? Much of a muchness or is he better than what we currently have? Comedy og aside, I liked him when he was here.
Not sure he’d vastly improve our current crop of centre backs, but he wouldn’t be any worse and would add competition. Just trying to remember whether he was any good playing out from the back 🤔

In other news, I wrote a short, general overview of Reece Brown who’s a potential central midfield option in January after being completely frozen out at Huddersfield. Mentioned in the previous transfer thread by DSB.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:29 pm

Nsiala would add quantity but not quality IMO. I always thought he was positionally a liability, particularly (if memory serves) from crossfield balls aimed at the half-spaces between him and Josh Emmanuel.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 pm

I'm not sure having a go at your own fans after an inept performance is the fighting spirit we need 😁
Can see why he was Keith hill's cup of tea though!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:43 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 pm
I'm not sure having a go at your own fans after an inept performance is the fighting spirit we need 😁
Can see why he was Keith hill's cup of tea though!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:16 am

That's the one. I don't know what was said to him or what he felt provoked it but it's not going to help his or anyone's cause. It seems like he's something of a scapegoat there and needs to leave.
Could also be that he's really, really bad at football of course.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 am

I wish I could reveal all to supporters and tell you all of my transfer plans in January, who we are looking at, and who we are trying to sign. I guess then it would be a different conversation.
- Evatt, once again talking about Politic.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... port-vale/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:45 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 am
I wish I could reveal all to supporters and tell you all of my transfer plans in January, who we are looking at, and who we are trying to sign. I guess then it would be a different conversation.
- Evatt, once again talking about Politic.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... port-vale/
So he’s not coming back in January. I think that he doesn’t really fix our problems anyway. We move on.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:54 am

Aye, played his last game for us. Enjoy Stockport. Let’s sign Jamie Pollock please.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:05 am

We need to sign at least one more proper centre forward in Jan.

I don't disagree that we have problems all over the pitch, but Doyle looks to be in rapid decline, and just isn't finishing efficiently enough to merit being a guaranteed starter. There have been too many games, including last night, where he's missed good chances to get us back into games.

It seems relatively unlikely we'll be able to pick up anyone who would be a marked improvement on a permanent contract next month, but I'm positive there will be loan options out there who would improve this area for the remainder of the season. Let's hope Markham has got someone decent lined up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:09 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:05 am

I don't disagree that we have problems all over the pitch, but Doyle looks to be in rapid decline, and just isn't finishing efficiently enough to merit being a guaranteed starter. There have been too many games, including last night, where he's missed good chances to get us back into games.

It seems relatively unlikely we'll be able to pick up anyone who would be a marked improvement on a permanent contract next month, but I'm positive there will be loan options out there who would improve this area for the remainder of the season. Let's hope Markham has got someone decent lined up.
I don't disagree. I just think our front options if we keep Xav (and Dapo) are good enough to win games. The problems lie behind them. Obviously a bang on goalscoring centre forward would be a big deal too but its whether we get the right one - Evatt suggests we are pursuing permanent deals rather than loans (though he says a lot) and therefore I don't want us to sign the wrong striker and be stuck with him when our biggest issues lie behind the striker.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:32 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:09 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:05 am

I don't disagree. I just think our front options if we keep Xav (and Dapo) are good enough to win games. The problems lie behind them. Obviously a bang on goalscoring centre forward would be a big deal too but its whether we get the right one - Evatt suggests we are pursuing permanent deals rather than loans (though he says a lot) and therefore I don't want us to sign the wrong striker and be stuck with him when our biggest issues lie behind the striker.
I think on balance our lack of defensive solidity is our biggest issue, mainly because we keep conceding early goals which puts us on the backfoot. However, I do think it's a close run thing, and in the match last night I feel that if Doyle puts his chance away we go on to get something from the game.
Last edited by The_Gun on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 am

We haven’t scored away in the league since September - Charlton, FFS. It’s a big problem. Defence is bigger. But we’re registering too many zeroes.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:29 pm

I think you can make an effective case for replacing every position barring Dapo (whose head has dropped), MJ, and John and Jones (assuming he is near fitness). The players in the team at the moment are just not good enough.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:29 pm
I think you can make an effective case for replacing every position barring Dapo (whose head has dropped), MJ, and John and Jones (assuming he is near fitness). The players in the team at the moment are just not good enough.
I think that's a bit dramatic. I'd say most of our players have shown they're capable of playing at this level on an individual basis, but as a collective we clearly don't have the right mix at present. I'd hazard that it's quite likely that an injection of good players will lift the level of many of those already here.

The players who I'd say, in absolute terms, are not good enough are:

Gordon
Brockbank
Baptiste
Delfouneso
Thomason (although I think with more time at League Two/National League level then he might get there)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Maybe a bit dramatic, but I flit from wanting a new keeper, Centre half, Centre mid, attacking mid and Centre forward hourly at the moment. Genuinely can’t make up my mind which is priority, but know I’ll more than likely be disappointed we don’t sign them all!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Yeah Dixon I think is just about passable and not our biggest worry at the moment, but I'd only want him to be a back-up from next season.