January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by brommers95 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:47 pm

Always exciting to be a linked to a player especially one that got 19 goals in this division last season. Probably bollocks and I can’t see us shelling out the required dosh but you never know…

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:03 pm

Dion The Wanderer headline potential for Iles!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Not a rumour but an idea.

Brighton's young midfielder Taylor Richards was loaned to Donny last season and in 41 third-tier games he scored 10 and assisted 5. According to Albion Analytics he was Donny's best player for fouls won (85), shots (77), dribbles completed (44/75), and third for tackles won (56/80).

Moreover, he ranked fourth in League One among under-21 players for goal involvements (10 goals and five assists), second-most for goals outside the box (four), and first for goal-ending dribbles (seven).

The Londoner, who left Fulham for Man City at aged 14, signed a three-year contract extension with Brighton this autumn but hasn't really been able to get in the first team - 23 Premier League minutes over two sub appearances, plus 11 unused-sub appearances. Two starts in the League Cup.

Question is whether they'd want to loan him to the second tier instead...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:49 pm

Asked about Hartigan and Dion Charles, Nixon thinks "Both will be at prices and wages that come within the budget"

This after the duh-no-really "Believe there’s some cash … how far it stretches is the thing …"

But it raises a good question: do we go for quality or quantity? What is focusing on say two or three players that improve the XI leaves us still wafer-thin and one bad week from peril again?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:12 pm

Encouraging noises from Iles re Amaechi:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ted-covid/
Hamburg have given Wanderers the green light to keep Xavier Amaechi beyond January.

The winger’s current deal runs out at the end of this month and Wanderers are keen to keep him at the UniBol after finally guiding him back to full fitness.

Amaechi will once again have to take a salary cut to play in League One – but the player is eager to relaunch his career in England and has enjoyed his time in Ian Evatt’s squad so far.

Reports in the German press claim Hamburg, currently third in Bundesliga 2, are open to the idea of him staying with Bolton, and it is understood they were impressed with the way the club handled the latter stages of his rehabilitation after fracturing his metatarsal in a pre-season friendly with Preston North End.

Amaechi has made eight appearances since coming back from injury, scoring his first professional goal against Cheltenham Town last month.

His contract in Germany runs until summer 2023 but the former Arsenal trainee is looking to impress at Bolton in an effort to earn a permanent move back to the UK.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:19 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:12 pm
Encouraging noises from Iles re Amaechi:
Very encouraging.

Though as discussed previously, the only problem with Amaechi is that with much of his game (especially his off the ball movement) he's operating at a different level to those around him.

Hopefully we can get one or two of our cloggers to read and understand his game a little better.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:52 am

Wonder if we will have to fend off any offers for Dapo? He can clearly play higher than this. Or what would be a price big enough to sell?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:18 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:52 am
Wonder if we will have to fend off any offers for Dapo? He can clearly play higher than this. Or what would be a price big enough to sell?
I doubt too many Championship teams will be chucking cash around in this market environment, so I think Dapo stays until summer at least. We’d surely be asking £5m+

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:24 am

I imagine anything over £3m gets Dapo, so we can reinvest it, but as mentioned above - Would anybody really spend that with an impending lockdown round the corner? Maybe teams chasing the top spots, but would he get in those teams? I highly doubt it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:59 am

Dapo is long-term contracted and, importantly, happy; judging by his interview quotes he’s never been as settled. I don’t think he’ll agitate for a move and I don’t think we’ll get that many enquiries next month. Teams will have noticed how well he started but also how his form has dropped off. If Champo clubs are spending money (and as noted, given Covid it’s an if, even in that madhouse) then they’d be more likely IMO to pay for a surer thing. Whether they’re spending to avoid relegation or achieve promotion, most will be looking to minimise risk.

I’d say the only type of club who might spend on him right now would be a data-crunching “trading” club on the lines of Brentford, who might not trust his ability to cut it in the top flight, or Peterborough, who probably can’t or won’t spend the price we would ask.

If we are to be such a trading club, and we surely should be, then we need to have a price in mind - and we as fans may have to accept that our best players will go, in the club’s best interests.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Preston looking to get new players in for new boss Ryan Lowe, which will mean others falling out of favour. Assuming he continues with a back three, might it be curtains for wide forwards like Barkuizen? IDK, haven’t seen their recent XIs and am laid up with booster-buggeredness

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:04 pm

Do West Ham have any sell-on clauses relating to Afolayan, do we know?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Don't know, but strongly suspect not. He was out of contract. Seemed to be reported as if they hadn't offered him a new one but if they had it's possible (though given reporting I think highly unlikely) there had to be some arrangement to avoid a tribunal which may have involved one, though even then I think he was over the 23yo threshold (not sure when that's measured from) where that applies.

So I think 90%+ chance the answer is no.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:48 pm
Preston looking to get new players in for new boss Ryan Lowe, which will mean others falling out of favour. Assuming he continues with a back three, might it be curtains for wide forwards like Barkuizen? IDK, haven’t seen their recent XIs and am laid up with booster-buggeredness
I see Ched Evans was linked with Wigan yesterday. It'll be a nice change for him to go somewhere where he's not the most unpopular player in the opposition.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:17 am

There seems to be plenty of articles about Charles signing now - wonder how much they want for someone they aren’t playing anyway? Hopefully he can hit the ground running.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:17 am
There seems to be plenty of articles about Charles signing now - wonder how much they want for someone they aren’t playing anyway? Hopefully he can hit the ground running.
Since they'll be getting nowt for him in July, I expect rather than a fee, we may just take his contract over from January? They make a saving then on not paying wages to a bloke sat in the reserves.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:34 pm

I'd suspect there would likely be a small fee. They might be in cut their nose to spite their face territory. Plus if they were struggling with injuries/Covid (despite apparently being 100% vacced) he'd be a body. Haggling over something 5 figures perhaps.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:17 am
There seems to be plenty of articles about Charles signing now
Charles 'Charlie' Charles, one of the famous Charles brothers?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:47 am

Evatt admits interest in Dion Charles but backs away from Anthony Hartigan.
Dion is a player I am fully aware of – he was actually a youngster at Blackpool while I was a player there.

Obviously he scored 20 odd goals for Accrington at this level last season. He’s a player we like of course, so that’s something that we are kind of interested in.

In terms of Anthony, he’s not on our radar at the moment. We’ve got lots of options, lots of targets and we’re working our way through.

Some are achievable, some aren’t – we’re just doing the best we can. We have some strong players on the list, some good options, and we’ll do our best to make sure we get them in.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... fer-links/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:25 am

A close reading of offhand quotes is often a fool's errand, but it's not like there's any actual football to distract us so...

Charles. Had no idea who he was. Have since done some YouTube scouting and he looks promising. BWFCi won't be happy though, he's another short-arse. Nice mix of goals including a lot of poached efforts which I think is important for us. A bit like Doyle with more of an all round game. It's a tiny sample size but I trust the scouting team.

Hartigan - lots put 2 and 2 together and came up with we're not after him, he's not on any shortlists. Reads a bit more ambiguously to me. First name terms and "at the moment". My no basis reckon is that's a negotiating ploy aimed at Wimbledon saying "we're not paying that".