January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 pm

Danny ward left when we were in the prem did he not? Made his debut under Megson.

I’d be moving on from Dempsey now. Let’s hope we have someone sorted and get him for nowt in the summer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:27 pm
Hull have potted Grant McCann, with the new owner immediately parachuting in Shota Arveladze. Could be a hectic final few days of the window over there. Wouldn't astonish me to see a few players leave, especially on loan. Players mentioned in passing hereabouts have been their No.10 George Honeyman, our former loanee left-back Brandon Fleming, our former right-back Josh Emmanuel (though Fossey's arrival might rule that out), and the former Exeter RW/RB Randell Williams.
We're in a funny place right now. We're obviously trying to build some flexibility into the squad so we can play both 5-3-2 and 4-3-3. We still have a pretty full squad now, though.

4 definite "strikers" contracted beyond the summer. 6 definite midfielders (2 of whom are young, but who will need games or loans) contracted beyond the summer. Then Dapo who could count as either a 10 or striker. We're looking at Dempsey, so you're rapidly running out of spaces for players outside the defence.

If we finish the season in poor or average form and our forwards and mids aren't cutting it then you'd imagine we'll look to move a couple of guys on to make space; but if we are firing then it's difficult to see what we do in those areas.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 pm
We're in a funny place right now. We're obviously trying to build some flexibility into the squad so we can play both 5-3-2 and 4-3-3. We still have a pretty full squad now, though.

4 definite "strikers" contracted beyond the summer. 6 definite midfielders (2 of whom are young, but who will need games or loans) contracted beyond the summer. Then Dapo who could count as either a 10 or striker. We're looking at Dempsey, so you're rapidly running out of spaces for players outside the defence.

If we finish the season in poor or average form and our forwards and mids aren't cutting it then you'd imagine we'll look to move a couple of guys on to make space; but if we are firing then it's difficult to see what we do in those areas.
Aye. I make it we have 17 outfielders contracted beyond summer, of which only Tomo will be *underage:

5 DF Jones, Aimson, Santos, Johnston, John
7 MF Williams, Lee, Sheehan, Morley, Darcy, *Thomason, Isgrove
5 FW Kachunga, Bakayoko, Bodvarsson, Afolayan, Charles

Lee might not have too long in him, Darcy may not be considered up to it (Tomo has another year before burdening the squad limit), but after that we're then into Upgrade Mode - replacing sub-par players with, as per the Prufrock Progress Paradigm, either better back-ups or ideally better first-teamers. It's harder than winnowing out the deadwood (including the timber you lumbered yourself with early on) but it still happens. There's a few on that list who I would argue haven't yet met expectations.

EDIT for the record, the players whose contracts lapse in summer are Baptiste, Greenidge, Edwards, Gordon, Tutte and Delf, plus loanees *Trafford, Fossey and *Amaechi. Young players on lapsing pro contracts – *Alexander, *Hutchinson, *Senior, *Fitzmartin and *Lockett - are all underage agin next season and the one after (and in Lockett's case the one after that).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Iles seems to be intimating that the Dempsey deal is snagged, as Brommers and some others anticipated.

I was hopeful we'd get it done after Gillingham ran out of January fixtures, but if not it'll be fun to see who we get in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm
Iles seems to be intimating that the Dempsey deal is snagged, as Brommers and some others anticipated.

I was hopeful we'd get it done after Gillingham ran out of January fixtures, but if not it'll be fun to see who we get in.
Iles had hinted we might go for a loanee till the summer. My biggest concern with the situation is we lack a Sarce replacement and proper cover and/or support for Williams.

For me we have only Lee, Williams and Morley and young George isn’t up to it. We need two or 3 more in midfield.

Tutte could be back but again I don’t think he’s quite up to it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 pm
Iles had hinted we might go for a loanee till the summer. My biggest concern with the situation is we lack a Sarce replacement and proper cover and/or support for Williams.

For me we have only Lee, Williams and Morley and young George isn’t up to it. We need two or 3 more in midfield.

Tutte could be back but again I don’t think he’s quite up to it.
If we were still playing the 4-3-3 I'd be worried. With that extra body back there and the high line I'm less concerned about losing MJ and having fewer conventional mids. I said previously I'd not want Dapo anywhere near the '10' role in that 4-3-3, but I think he can play it in the 5-3-2 - as can Xav. Lee, Dapo and Xav makes enough options there, for me. I'm not convinced that's how Evatt sees it and Dapo may be a striker option, I don't know at this stage; but he has the skill set for the role.

I do think we're an orthodox mid short - preferably a combative dynamo. I can't see us doing two.

Loan players will be massively suboptimal as what Dempsey was supposed to offer us was that fire and leadership he brings to every second of every match he's in - even when he's having a bad game. You'll struggle for that in a loanee at this point in Jan.

I don't know whether Dempsey was intended as a 6/8 or 10 by Evatt. Wherever he was meant to play, it was his drive and character that we needed most.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:53 pm

I think I posted a week ago that part of the dance with Gillingham will be BWFC letting it be known that they’re fluttering their eyelashes at other boys. Let’s see if it tempts Scally toward the endgame.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm

They (and he) played tonight. 0-0 at home to our mate Steve Cotterill. Presumably Gills didn't manage to scuff a cross behind their striker. :lol:

They also play Saturday, home to Oxford...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 pm

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 pm
]They (and he) played tonight. 0-0 at home to our mate Steve Cotterill. Presumably Gills didn't manage to scuff a cross behind their striker. :lol:

Ah, but don't forget they probably had enough chances to win three games if.... Bet he's doing some chunnering tonight, one point from two games.... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:13 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 pm
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 pm
]They (and he) played tonight. 0-0 at home to our mate Steve Cotterill. Presumably Gills didn't manage to scuff a cross behind their striker. :lol:

Ah, but don't forget they probably had enough chances to win three games if.... Bet he's doing some chunnering tonight, one point from two games.... :lol:
They've only conceded one goal (but what a goal) in the last six league games, but they've only won two of them. Clean sheets are only a start... :wink:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:07 am

I am a bit worried for Dempsey if we do get him, to be honest. I rate him and I think he will offer things we badly need, but ultimately he's still a league one player. If we do sign him and he can't fly, breath fire and heal the dead I'm not sure some of the lads building him up on social media are going to be too thrilled.

Reading through Gillingham-related stuff their fans seem livid at the minute. They're getting around 3000 in for Tuesday night games and the atmosphere is apparently seriously toxic now. It'll be interesting to see what develops.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Re. Dempsey: I think our offer being supposedly unsatisfactory but not yet officially rejected is quite revealing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm
Re. Dempsey: I think our offer being supposedly unsatisfactory but not yet officially rejected is quite revealing.
Good point Nicko.

If they wanted to beat us up to, say, £300k they could get there quicker by nixing £150k and seeing our next move.

Saying nothing with an offer on the table feels more like they're trying to smoke out other buyers, like summer suitors Charlton, but with six months on his contract maybe we're the only ones signing a cheque.

Plus of course they're between managers. Not that clubs never sell in such circumstances - indeed, in can be a way to recoup cash - but he's not flinched yet.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:54 pm

Interesting quotes from the Gills boss. Says he doesn't know anything about any bids for Dempsey, but that it's not his call. He wants to keep Dempsey and he's playing well, but ultimately it's a club decision.

Very much not a "he's going nowhere" statement.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:23 pm

Caretaker boss, so he's damn right it's not his call. When it gets right down to where the cheese binds, it's not really a permanent manager's call either.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-22878000
There has been talk for a long time about clubs being linked with our players but I don’t know anything about that. The way that Kyle played tonight, you wouldn’t think he was going anywhere, because I thought he gave everything and he gave a captain's performance and I thought he worked very, very hard for the team. He always has done, since I've been here, he's been a credit.

I don’t want to lose any players. I want to keep all of them so I can work with them but it’s out of my hands. I can only work with what I've got and what I'll have and whatever I've got and have, I will work with. We would like to add to it and I think we need to the squad [sic]. In the next two or three days it will become more of an issue I think when players become available and we've only got four or five days to go so it is an important time to get what we want in to give us a really good shout to of getting us out of this mess that we're in.

I don't want to lose anybody but that's not my decision. It's a decision that's got to be made by the club and for the right reasons and for the sake of the football club. All I can say as a manager is I don't want to lose any good players and Kyle Dempsey's a good player. I don't want to lose anybody from the squad. I'm not in a position to lose anybody. We're not great on numbers as it is with a few injuries that have been picked up so I wish the window was over and I've got 22 players where I know I'm going to work with and that will do me.

But it's not like that so things could change between now and next Monday and most probably will and whatever they change to, I'll have to adapt to that and work with it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 pm

Yeah. It strikes me he's mostly just answering a question he doesn't want to answer and doing that usual thing of hoping quantity makes up for quality (do your own jokes about my posts).

As I said above, I fear a few fans have built Dempsey into some mythical being that will suddenly turn us into the best side in the division. That being said, I do think he's got the potential to be that missing piece in a more complex puzzle. I think we can be very good without him, but he'd help drag us through games where we were not very good.

You need a team that can show up 4 times out of 5 to go up in this division. You then need a few players who can hit their levels even when the team as a whole isn't on it - preferably at least one in each compartment. Dempsey looks like that sort. I think we already have some, but nobody who can drag us through in midfield in this system.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm

Evatt quoted as saying we are working on two deals.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm
Evatt quoted as saying we are working on two deals.
Full quote:
Assuming Dempsey/alternative CM target is one of these potential incomings, what are we thinking the position of the other is? A more defensive central midfielder? Centre back?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm

Taggart.jpg
Taggart.jpg (222.62 KiB) Viewed 546 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:38 pm

Just noticed this detail in Ilesy's report of Lovell's no-shit "I'd like to keep him but it's not my choice" stuff:

"Wanderers want to sign Dempsey this month, knowing they could be priced out of the market on wages if he becomes a free transfer in the summer."

If that's the case and I were Dempsey, I'd be tempted to sit tight, play the hero, and get a better-paid job in summer. He'll be 27 in September.