January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:41 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:27 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:17 am
Rumours this morning that we’re also looking at another left back alongside Dempsey.

I’d personally have had Ben Jackson back from Hudds - him and John were a good pair to have in that position.
Gone to Doncaster.
Yeah I know, I was just saying I’d have taken him back if he was available, which clearly he was.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:45 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:41 am
Yeah I know, I was just saying I’d have taken him back if he was available, which clearly he was.
Gotcha.

I think he needs to be playing and as he didn't displace John last time he'd probably not have come back.

In an ideal world we'd find a left-sided Jones. Someone who can play left centre half, left back and left wing back.

I'd have liked Shad Ogie, but he just signed a contract extension. What I will say is I trust our recruitment team and I'm sure that if we do get anyone in they'll fit what Evatt needs better than a choice I could make from the outside. It's been many moons since I've been able to say that about this club.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 pm

Gillingham's managerial target has, this evening, declined the offer to move up from the National League to Div One. There could many reasons for that, but, my interpretation (based on no evidence whatsoever) is that he's done his due diligence and decided they are an absolutely busted flush. Dempsey signs tomorrow! 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:34 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 pm
Gillingham's managerial target has, this evening, declined the offer to move up from the National League to Div One. There could many reasons for that, but, my interpretation (based on no evidence whatsoever) is that he's done his due diligence and decided they are an absolutely busted flush. Dempsey signs tomorrow! 😁
Well giving away 4 penalties in one game, mighta been a clue, too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:50 pm

They’re not long for League One either..

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:54 pm

He's not having a great season, but I think Evatt could work wonders on Robbie McKenzie if we wanted to steal him from Gills at the same time as Dempsey. 23, reasonably quick and has the necessary fundamentals to play right across our back 5 or even push Williams.

In terms of the "another Jones" model, he'd fit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:57 am

Iles seems to be suggesting that Dempsey wants too much money as it stands. Personal terms.

We will see.

Only singing one today and appears to be Dempsey or nobody.

Already started talks on making Fossey permanent as per press conference.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:01 am

Great news on Fossey. Could be the next Dapo…who you have to think will be a target for clubs higher up in the summer.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 am

Someone (saying they are ITK) on the Gillingham forum saying that he's been told that the Dempsey deal is done - it could be a wind up though ?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:10 am

I'd sack Dempsey off if he, or Gillingham, are asking too much. We can manage until the summer and then look at it again then.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:57 am
Iles seems to be suggesting that Dempsey wants too much money as it stands. Personal terms.

We will see.

I think that's a rather restricted reading of it. Not least as Iles has also said "Wanderers 'might' not bring in a loan player if Dempsey bid fails." And it's only two days since Evatt said “If it doesn't then we’ll move on to somebody else."

I suspect we'll see an unveiling today. But if not, it's still been a good month.

Meanwhile, though, Evatt also says: "We’re happy with Liam (Gordon). He’s a young player and still developing but we’re pleased with him. Liam won’t be going out and we won’t be bringing any other left-backs in."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:25 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:12 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We will see.

I think that's a rather restricted reading of it. Not least as Iles has also said "Wanderers 'might' not bring in a loan player if Dempsey bid fails." And it's only two days since Evatt said “If it doesn't then we’ll move on to somebody else."

I suspect we'll see an unveiling today. But if not, it's still been a good month.

Meanwhile, though, Evatt also says: "We’re happy with Liam (Gordon). He’s a young player and still developing but we’re pleased with him. Liam won’t be going out and we won’t be bringing any other left-backs in."
Maybe. I’m sure we have a back up but if Dempsey is still live you have to question how much time and effort goes into an alternative.

I suppose the other thing to consider is how much a loan would cost and whether realistically it would make a huge difference. We are absolutely light in midfield. But highly unlikely to exit the division either end so is it best to save money till the summer should our permanent target be too hard to get done?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I suppose the other thing to consider is how much a loan would cost and whether realistically it would make a huge difference. We are absolutely light in midfield. But highly unlikely to exit the division either end so is it best to save money till the summer should our permanent target be too hard to get done?
I suspect the cost will be factored in, and quite possibly lower now than it would have been earlier in the window - clubs trying to get excess players out will be less likely to ask as much.

But on a wider note, good to hear (as Iles reports) that there's already a plan in place for summer. As noted, I'd like to see one or two upgrades on the rear half of the team, but that's for another day (and possibly even thread).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:44 am

If either MJ or Morley get injured, as it stands aren't we back to Thommo? I assume a loan would cost no more than we had earmarked to pay Dempsey?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:50 am

I suspect Sadlier would come in and Lee drop back, but ideally would like the extra body in there. Especially if as it seems he's a long term target. If he's a no go now I guess the loan depends who it is. They'd probably spend most of their time on their bench but wouldn't mind another in their early 20s out of contract in the summer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am

The club has been after Dempsey for over 6 months. Everyone will by now be well aware what the score is on his personal terms and if there wasn't a deal there we'd have walked away some time ago. The bid also hasn't been rejected, meaning Gills are willing to sell him at around what we're offering.

They are trying to sort out a new manger today and get bodies in. We'll see how that works out.

It doesn't necessarily get done, but nobody is drawing a deal out this long unless they know it happens so long as other dominoes fall.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:04 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am
The club has been after Dempsey for over 6 months. Everyone will by now be well aware what the score is on his personal terms and if there wasn't a deal there we'd have walked away some time ago. The bid also hasn't been rejected, meaning Gills are willing to sell him at around what we're offering.

They are trying to sort out a new manger today and get bodies in. We'll see how that works out.

It doesn't necessarily get done, but nobody is drawing a deal out this long unless they know it happens so long as other dominoes fall.
Works both ways. Agents will tell players clubs are desperate for you, make it a good deal.

The fact is that many deals break down over terms either way.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:21 am

In the Premier League (and Championship these days) you get agents messing around, because the possible pay outs are huge.

The money in a League One transfers from Gillingham to Bolton isn't worth months of effort on the off chance you can pull it off. Agents at this level are usually much more concerned with security and keeping everyone happy. There's no point in stringing parties along and hoping for the best.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:13 pm

Iles ‘Wanderers will PROBABLY not sign a replacement should Dempsey deal fail’.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:28 pm

OFFICIAL: Gillingham appoint Neil Harris. he's going to need a Keith/Benny Hill-style transfer supermarket sweep, and he has a cash offer on the table to fund it...