January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Will be interesting to see if another centre back shows up shortly.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:56 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:45 pm
How many squad spaces do we have available now? Hard to keep up with all the comings and goings.
I make it we're four below the 22 limit for overage (ie born before 1/1/2000) outfielders. I thought briefly that Fossey might not count as he's from a Category One Academy, but it seems that's an exemption for the Sherpa Sh!tshow only.

If I've missed anyone, happy to be freed from the shackles of my ignorance.

OVERAGE OUTFIELDERS: 18
Marlon Fossey (9/11/98)
Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
Liam Gordon (15/5/99)
Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91)
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Will Aimson (3/6/94)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Elias Kachunga (22/4/92)
Amadou Bakayoko (1/1/96)
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Declan John (30/6/95)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)
Dion Charles (7/10/95)

UNDERAGE OUTFIELDERS: 7
*Xavier Amaechi (5/1/01)
*George Thomason (12/1/01)
*Ronan Darcy (4/11/00)
*Aaron Morley (27/2/00)
*Adam Senior (20/1/02)
*Jay Fitzmartin (14/9/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Stalybridge Celtic until January
*Fin Lockett (20/4/03)

LOANED OUT: 2
Reiss Greenidge (10/8/96) - loaned to tier-5 Barnet for the season
Liam Edwards (2/10/96) - loaned to tier-6 Southport for the season

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm

As a lad Brockbank seems great. He’s just not league one standard. Yet. And I don’t think he’d get there here.

Good luck Harry.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:54 pm
I thought that, but I suspect we're just clearing the decks of people Evatt doesn't rate - to free up wages, to clear squad spaces, to give them opportunities elsewhere. After a fortnight of hiring, we're getting round to the firing.

Wagewise we could have done with shifting Baps rather than Brocky but I now suspect the old fella will be kept around until the summer as his gaffer's eyes and ears in the changing room. Evatt yesterday (per MEN):
"That leadership team now of Gethin and Rico really need to step up to the plate and they have done this week. They’ve been first class. The lads out of the team like Alex Baptiste with his experience is really important to the dressing room.

“We have to have people policing that dressing room and making the players understand what it takes to win games consistently on a Saturday and end up gathering momentum and going on these good runs like we did last season.

"At times this year, the dressing room’s been very quiet. There’s a lot of young players in that dressing room and they’re still learning about themselves. They’re learning about how to conduct themselves and what it takes to be in a pressure environment day in day out.

"That can only help and results help build confidence, no doubt, but that leadership group really have to step up to the plate and encourage the boys. When someone needs a telling off, they need to be told off.

"There’s accountability now and that’s what’s important, but the accountability is in the right way. That’s the most important thing, that people are held accountable but they’re said with respect and in the right manner and that hasn’t always been the case.”
Wonder who that last bit's a pop at?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Aye - I didn't wonder that last bit very long, tbf...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:02 pm
I thought that, but I suspect we're just clearing the decks of people Evatt doesn't rate - to free up wages, to clear squad spaces, to give them opportunities elsewhere. After a fortnight of hiring, we're getting round to the firing.
Depends how he views the squad. He has spoken of wanting two per position. If Senior has just moved up the pecking order, fine. He can understudy Jones. If not, we are one shy at the back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:20 pm
Depends how he views the squad. He has spoken of wanting two per position. If Senior has just moved up the pecking order, fine. He can understudy Jones. If not, we are one shy at the back.
Has he said two per position recently? Can't recall him saying that since the big rebuild in summer 2020. He might have done, though, and he's certainly talked about "layering" to get more, or rather better, competition.

I suspect he'd rather have 18-20 players who are good enough than 22 will-this-do types, but that requires positional flexibility. Like the other day when it was suggested we get someone who can cover centre-back and right wing-back - a worthy and sensible aim, but one requiring a player with height, pace, stamina and positional awareness who can tackle, pass, read the game, cross, preferably shoot, and also ideally displays intangibles like leadership and determination. And, of course, be unwanted by their clubs and affordable...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:43 pm

Do utility players not figure in the grand scheme of things?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:43 pm
Do utility players not figure in the grand scheme of things?
I'd argue that along with Gethin, Brocky was possibly our most utile player, offering cover at CB, RB, LB, LWB, RWB. But was he good enough to build on? Probably not.

These days you tend to get a lot of forward players who can play "across the front line", but it's a bit less common further back. Maybe some who can play defensive midfield as well as a position in the back-line (like MJ). Probably a few more "two-position" players than there used to be back in the day, but not as many as a Peter Nick or Julian Darby or Paul Madeley - the type of lads who'd worn every shirt bar No.1.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:28 pm

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm
Has he said two per position recently? Can't recall him saying that since the big rebuild in summer 2020. He might have done, though, and he's certainly talked about "layering" to get more, or rather better, competition.

I suspect he'd rather have 18-20 players who are good enough than 22 will-this-do types, but that requires positional flexibility.
I think he's said about his ideal being "2 per position with youngsters pushing for places behind them" a few times. I don't think it's a changeable thing.

The trouble we have right now is that Fossey has a bad injury history and our only senior cover out there is Geth. So if we lose Fossey to injury we probably move Geth wide and then we're one CB knock away from no cover save dropping Williams back.

I'd hope we've learn this season that a few injuries can really leave you up the creek sans paddle if you've not sorted your squad out.

A young right wing back would be fantastic. Some promising, athletic kids to push Fossey. I'm not sure Senior is right for that role. I do, however, think we're now short a CB unless Senior is Evatt's guy. If he is, great. I want the kids to get chances.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Wagewise we could have done with shifting Baps rather than Brocky but I now suspect the old fella will be kept around until the summer as his gaffer's eyes and ears in the changing room. Evatt yesterday (per MEN):
"That leadership team now of Gethin and Rico really need to step up to the plate and they have done this week. They’ve been first class. The lads out of the team like Alex Baptiste with his experience is really important to the dressing room.

“We have to have people policing that dressing room and making the players understand what it takes to win games consistently on a Saturday and end up gathering momentum and going on these good runs like we did last season.

"At times this year, the dressing room’s been very quiet. There’s a lot of young players in that dressing room and they’re still learning about themselves. They’re learning about how to conduct themselves and what it takes to be in a pressure environment day in day out.

"That can only help and results help build confidence, no doubt, but that leadership group really have to step up to the plate and encourage the boys. When someone needs a telling off, they need to be told off.

"There’s accountability now and that’s what’s important, but the accountability is in the right way. That’s the most important thing, that people are held accountable but they’re said with respect and in the right manner and that hasn’t always been the case.”
Wonder who that last bit's a pop at?
Hard to not think that's a note on issues with Sarcevic and a few others in the squad. I suspect Doyle too given his lack of consistency in front of net. Still, I don't think it particularly matters what has been said but more the approach that is to be taken going forward.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:28 pm
The trouble we have right now is that Fossey has a bad injury history and our only senior cover out there is Geth. So if we lose Fossey to injury we probably move Geth wide and then we're one CB knock away from no cover save dropping Williams back.

I'd hope we've learn this season that a few injuries can really leave you up the creek sans paddle if you've not sorted your squad out.

A young right wing back would be fantastic. Some promising, athletic kids to push Fossey. I'm not sure Senior is right for that role. I do, however, think we're now short a CB unless Senior is Evatt's guy. If he is, great. I want the kids to get chances.
The other problem is that I doubt we will loan, or be loaned, another young RWB because they can't really both play.

Beyond elite level, any squad incurring four or five injuries is going to be significantly weakened. But I fully agree we haven't augmented the defensive unit - Fossey in, Brocky out - and still lack cover in some key positions.

• If we're playing with wingbacks, losing Declan John would hurt us badly (no disrespect to Liam Gordon).
• If we're playing Saturday's specific back three, we've now got AImson, Baps (eek) and... Senior?
• In any system, MJ still has no proper cover beyond Tutte (who now must have question marks over his age, recovery and suitability at this level) and Johnston, who has little enough experience at the back let alone as anchor. (I know Morley can play there, but MJ he is not.)

Interesting to watch Evatt's comments to see if Brocky's exit means we need another "body in the building", to use his stock phrase. Could well be a loanee - an experienced one like Grant Hall at Boro or (more likely) a younger one. I see Tyler Magloire's just been lent to Northampton...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:53 pm

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 pm
The other problem is that I doubt we will loan, or be loaned, another young RWB because they can't really both play.

Beyond elite level, any squad incurring four or five injuries is going to be significantly weakened. But I fully agree we haven't augmented the defensive unit - Fossey in, Brocky out - and still lack cover in some key positions.

• If we're playing with wingbacks, losing Declan John would hurt us badly (no disrespect to Liam Gordon).
• If we're playing Saturday's specific back three, we've now got AImson, Baps (eek) and... Senior?
• In any system, MJ still has no proper cover beyond Tutte (who now must have question marks over his age, recovery and suitability at this level) and Johnston, who has little enough experience at the back let alone as anchor. (I know Morley can play there, but MJ he is not.)

Interesting to watch Evatt's comments to see if Brocky's exit means we need another "body in the building", to use his stock phrase. Could well be a loanee - an experienced one like Grant Hall at Boro or (more likely) a younger one. I see Tyler Magloire's just been lent to Northampton...
On the wingback, no. I think it'd be a case of looking at the lower divisions, Scotland or Ireland for a prospect. That is unless we know, for sure, that Fossey is interested in signing on in the summer. If that's the case I'd be more inclined to take the risk, as we will have Izzy coming back who is probably now destined as cover on that side.

I can't see my way past needing another centre half, but then I'm not Evatt.

O'Connell at Reading is one Brommers picked out. I'd have Shad Ogie off Orient. I still think Curtis Tilt would radically improve us, but we are invested in Johnston and I hope he'll impress as part of that first choice back three.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:26 pm

That's what I meant at the weekend and the new shape suiting the individuals who played but not the squad. We now look v light on CBs and WBs (who as we found last year are vital to a 5) and very heavy on wingers.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:39 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:26 pm
That's what I meant at the weekend and the new shape suiting the individuals who played but not the squad. We now look v light on CBs and WBs (who as we found last year are vital to a 5) and very heavy on wingers.
Very heavy on wingers? Not sure I see that one. Xav and Dapo are the only ones I see an issue with, but Daps started as a striker and Xav can play 10.

Izzy has surely got to now be considered for right wing back and Kachunga has always been a forward.

I assume we all agree that the biggest puzzle is how Charles, Dapo and Lee play together in this system. Our two best attacking players and our fancy new striker don't seem to fit into this side together.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:53 pm

Very might have been a stretch but Dapo and Xav both seem much more suited to wide areas and will be a big part of our budget wage wise. And Isgrove is in very much "do a job territory".

Depends a lot on whether we need a target man to make it work. I don't see any reason why you couldn't play two of Dapo, Charles and Kachunga as the two. And fine if they're 3 competing for two spots. But if he does think we need a target man then that's three players I'd expect to be on top whack fighting for probably one spot, there. One being our shiny new signing and the other our top scorer.

343 on the other hand....
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm

Thanks very much to Harry Brockbank - captain of what will forever be our youngest ever post war side I am sure.

As a move it’s got to be to free up for another to come in, particularly after the switch to 3 at the back. So welcome that - perhaps it’s a younger lad on the fringes of an academy who may be available in the summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:28 pm

“The 6ft 5in non-league talent is a defender but can also play in a holding midfield role”

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 pm

6'5" :shock: Yay gods are we signing Godzilla? Now he must be a big unit. CD cover, MJ cover and target for set pieces. That's those three elements covered then :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:53 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 pm
6'5" :shock: Yay gods are we signing Godzilla? Now he must be a big unit. CD cover, MJ cover and target for set pieces. That's those three elements covered then :D
Moderately tall :mrgreen: