January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:57 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 pm
Speaking of Brockbank, it's interesting to note that Kevin Davies' agency uploaded some clips of the young defender last week, I assume with a view to getting him a move either this window or in the summer.
He's too old to be a youth option now and he's clearly not going to break into the starting 11. It's best for his career if he moves on before next season.

We need to look at getting a proper "prospect" in to replace him (could be Senior, but not sure there).

Shadrach Ogie, Connor Taylor...those sorts. Lads who are physically and technically a level above Brocky, as much as I like the lad personally.
Yeah I think it’s pretty clear that his Wanderer’s race is run. I also think Senior will be released this summer (I believe his contract is due to expire).
Less sure about that. Brocky is 23. Senior is (only just) 19. Would be v suprised if he didn't get offered something (though would expect him to go out on pan loan again).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:48 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm
I’d also be slightly happier with Brocky (on the right) and Baps (middle) as emergency cover in a back three. Interestingly in this morning’s piece Iles mentions Baps as a trusted leader off-field, though Evatt doesn’t namecheck the auld fella.
Obviously the really tricky one is Dapo. Charles has been signed for a reason and Evatt obviously wants another target man type, which has always been part of his "ideal" side...so with Lee playing as he is, where does Dapo go? I mean, "on the bench", I know; but that's not sustainable.
Dapo is our best player, so he's going to be in the team more often than not. Last week's benching I'd see as a one off aimed at giving him a bit of extra motivation after a tough run of form.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm
brommers95 wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
brommers95 wrote:
Speaking of Brockbank, it's interesting to note that Kevin Davies' agency uploaded some clips of the young defender last week, I assume with a view to getting him a move either this window or in the summer.
He's too old to be a youth option now and he's clearly not going to break into the starting 11. It's best for his career if he moves on before next season.
Yeah I think it’s pretty clear that his Wanderer’s race is run. I also think Senior will be released this summer (I believe his contract is due to expire).
Less sure about that. Brocky is 23. Senior is (only just) 19. Would be v suprised if he didn't get offered something (though would expect him to go out on pan loan again).
Sorry Brommers, I'm on Team Pru here. Adam Senior is indeed 19 (until he's 20, which happens this Thursday). Therefore he is EFL-underage for the next two seasons, and I can't imagine he'd have daft wage demands. I see very little reason to cast him adrift when he's been impressing on loan and looked far from out of his depth when he played for us. As suggested: give him an extension, send him on loan to tier 5 or 4, see how he develops.

Where he'd play in a 3-5-2 is up for debate - I'd say RWB - but we might not always play 3-5-2. Evatt has frequently switched systems, and it would seem financially foolish to discard a promising prospect for a tactic of the month.

And besides, again, it's hardly like we're drowning in youngsters.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 pm

Surely the decision to retain Senior will be based on whether Evatt and Markham deem he has the potential to be a first teamer. If not, why bother keeping him around?

Edit: I'm also not certain he was excelling on loan. York's fans on Twitter (I know, I know) were absolutely slating him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:28 pm

Ha! I can't read the date. So yeah, nearly 20. He's 19 until he's 20, that's how it works :D

I'd have thought he'd be a centre back in a 3. Probably not big enough to be a centre back in a 4, so got pushed wide but I'd thought he was a CB coming through (but seemed to enjoy RB so maybe RWB.

Still young, would've thought he'd be in line for another year and see how he goes. Agree ultimately the question is will be ever be good enough, but enough to keep waiting and seeing IMO. He's a year "behind" Darcy, for example.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm not saying that I would be advocating letting Senior go, but Evatt has shown himself to be particularly decisive when it comes to releasing players he doesn't rate.

Your point on what position he's going to settle in long term I think is the key one. Right now he has the look of someone who doesn't have the skillset or physical makeup to successfully play in any position at League One level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:27 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 pm
Surely the decision to retain Senior will be based on whether Evatt and Markham deem he has the potential to be a first teamer. If not, why bother keeping him around?
To develop him to a point at which he can be a financial asset, to help the Academy pay for itself. He might not make it at our place, but he could be say a League Two or National League player, and if we add sell-on clauses, we can make money if he takes the long way round to success.

Academies aren't just about a pathway to the club's first team any more. Look at the sheer volume of players in say City or Chelsea's academy, how many they loan out each season. It's running a developmental spread-bet.

If they don't think Senior will ever be worth any money anywhere, that's OK. Bit harsh at 20, but that's the funnel. Similarly, if they've got their eyes on some 20-y-o right0back about to be released by City or United who they think is a safer bet, again - fine. But I bet he'll want more wage than Senior.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm
Right now he has the look of someone who doesn't have the skillset or physical makeup to successfully play in any position at League One level.
Looks a decent prospect to me and improving. Not yet ready to throw away a young player like Senior who is still learning the game. Keep him, give him more exposure and time. Looks captain material to me. I noticed when he came into the side recently, he was the only one getting his head on corners into our opponents box.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:47 pm

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm
brommers95 wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
brommers95 wrote:
Sorry Brommers, I'm on Team Pru here. Adam Senior is indeed 19 (until he's 20, which happens this Thursday). Therefore he is EFL-underage for the next two seasons, and I can't imagine he'd have daft wage demands. I see very little reason to cast him adrift when he's been impressing on loan and looked far from out of his depth when he played for us. As suggested: give him an extension, send him on loan to tier 5 or 4, see how he develops.

Where he'd play in a 3-5-2 is up for debate - I'd say RWB - but we might not always play 3-5-2. Evatt has frequently switched systems, and it would seem financially foolish to discard a promising prospect for a tactic of the month.

And besides, again, it's hardly like we're drowning in youngsters.
Yeah it wouldn’t cost a lot to keep him around and I wouldn’t be upset if we did (always nice to have Bolton lads at the club) I just don’t think Evatt really sees him making an impression here and I’m inclined to agree.

#TeamBrommers

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 pm

Without trawling for quotes I thought Evatt had been more effusive in his praise for senior than for Darcy, and certainly Politic. Both were offered contracts. I'd guess he'll get another year, unless like DSB says there's a better development player available.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:53 am

Reporting is that Dad Bod is pushing the move through by offering to take a wage cut to reduce Millwall's burden.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:56 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 pm
Without trawling for quotes I thought Evatt had been more effusive in his praise for senior than for Darcy, and certainly Politic. Both were offered contracts. I'd guess he'll get another year, unless like DSB says there's a better development player available.
last July:
“Adam Senior is developing as fast as anybody at the moment. He’s starting to get stronger physically, he’s aggressive and he trains more aggressively than anybody and I love that about him. He wants to win in every five a side and every small-sided game.”

after beating Chorley in pre-season (Senior scored):
“Him more than most young players has really come on this pre-season. He’s developed no end. He’s started to understand his body and he’s a different type of centre back. He isn’t a big dominant Rico (Santos) type but he’s more of an Alex Baptiste type, and he needs to watch Alex and obviously Sam (Hird) and Peter (Atherton), who aren’t very big.
“It’s about hiding your deficiencies and playing to your strengths, and he’s doing that at the moment. Against big physical forwards he handled them well - he didn’t want physical contact, he used his mobility and played around them which is great for a young players to learn that. So yeah, pleased with him and pleased with all of them really.”

after Accrington:
“I can’t ask any more from them, especially the younger players. Adam Senior was outstanding, I thought, and so was George Thomason, who is standing up to be counted. They don’t deserve the abuse they got at the end. They are young players doing the best they can for this football club. I hope they are not scarred by that, they have to keep positive and this is going to be a tough time for everybody."
"I must say the biggest positives for me was young Adam (Senior) taking his opportunity really well and young George (Thomason) who is trying his very best and blossoming as a very young footballer.”

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 am

BREAKING NEWS - BROCKY LEAVES
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/januar ... or-brocky/

Brocky:
I’ve achieved everything I set out to do as a young lad. You can’t ask for much than to captain your hometown team and get a promotion before the age of 23.

There have obviously been a lot of ups and downs along the way but plenty more ups than downs and now I’m ready for a new chapter, a new start and a lifestyle change.

I’ll certainly be back to watch the boys and I will always be around but it’s time for a new challenge and with the opportunity that’s hopefully coming up it’s something that really excited me and I’d be stupid to turn it down.
Evatt:
Harry has been a Bolton player for a long, long time, someone who lives locally with a great affiliation for the club,” said Evatt.

Having had a chat with Brocky about his future we both feel it’s probably time for him to get an opportunity to further a career elsewhere.

There’s talk of him maybe going to play in America which is good for him – with a lifestyle change and a culture change – and we wish him all the best and thank him for everything he’s done.
All the very best to him. From Evatt's quotes it feels like we're cutting him loose. Another squad space freed up. Sad to see a friend go, but perhaps for the best.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:31 am

Port Vale boss on Politic:

"There is a wage structure at this club that I don’t want to break. I have great support at the club and there isn’t going to be a gulf between players’ wages. I don’t want that, I don’t think it is the right way to build it. We are not moneybags, we try to do things at a sensible level and get competitive.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... departure/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:32 am

Aye, good luck to the lad. One you'd expect would be in the stands if he wasn't on the pitch. Think it's the right decision from a footballing perspective but all the best.

He'll always have the memory of captaining the Junior Whites (especially against Coventry) and that promotion.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spo ... st-260918/

Gillingham chairman yesterday:
“There is always interest in our players,” said Gills chairman Paul Scally when asked about the speculation on Tuesday (yesterday) but added that there had been “no credible bids” at the time of speaking.

Gillingham would welcome additional funds, particularly if they need money to pay Bromley a compensation fee for their manager Andy Woodman, but Mr Scally has turned down good offers for players in recent seasons...

Mr Scally said: “I am sure we will see a couple in and a couple out, that is bound to happen.”
Mentions that Aberdeen are after Ghost's lad Jack Tucker, who has also interested Celtic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:16 pm

He's done more than most aspiring footballers ever will already. Hopefully he can go on to have a long career.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 pm

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm
Mentions that Aberdeen are after Ghost's lad Jack Tucker, who has also interested Celtic.
It'd be a challenging deal for us, for certain. A friend of mine who works for a Premier League club was pushing for him to go there a couple of seasons back, but his development was seen as having stalled and they picked up a young lad from another division.

That's the kind of view of him there is in the game, though. Might make a Prem player, certainly Championship quality.

I think it's achievable, though. We'd be a step up and could offer a strong development path for him under a manager with a growing reputation.

Obviously if Celtic were to make an offer then we'd have zero chance.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 pm

Bit like Politic - if Evatt doesn't see a way to make it work with them, then "thanks for everything"...Shame to see them go, but time moves on.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:45 pm

Realistically I think Brocky had gone as far as he could in a Bolton shirt. Of course a little sad to see him go as a local lad and someone who helped us through the toughest of times, but there's not much room for sentiment in this game and this seems the best move for both parties.

How many squad spaces do we have available now? Hard to keep up with all the comings and goings.