January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:02 am
See I thought part of the reason it worked yesterday is Jones and to a lesser extent Johnston allow us in possession to switch to a pseudo back 4. Jones carried it forwards and not in the manner of a proper centre back but like an inside full back. I also think back threes with players like Aimson on the flank of them are much more susceptible to space down the channels and becoming back 5’s very easily to restrict that space.

The advantage of the players yesterday was the mobility and quality on the ball of the two wide of Santos. There is a very clear improvement we can make on Johnston if this was to be the long term system.

I suppose longer term the biggest problem is wing backs. How would we find one as good as Fossey is in that role? You could argue he and Jones are crucial to making this work.9
We went "back four spare man" yesterday and it helped us cut out more crosses as the wide defender could press hard.

Mobility and ability on the ball in those wide areas are ideal, but we have what we have. Brockbank might suit the hybrid fullback/centreback style of the role, but Aimson is now more mobile than Baps. It might be that Baps is still the back up on the left as he knows the role, but it's hard to second guess Evatt at times.

There's some talk around Fulham that Fossey may be free to stay, but I don't know anything. If not, we will need to find a quality player in that position in the summer if this is the new "Evattball" system. It is, after all, his ideal. Fulham will very likely be in the Prem next season, so Fossey is unlikely to be needed by them.

We will probably also need to find a top quality (for this level) centre forward, a couple of centre backs, a keeper, an option at left wing back and a central midfielder. But, again, it's up in the air.

Obviously we'll also be rebuilding for the Championship...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:34 am

Yeah Fulham are going to get promoted, so hard to see Fossey getting a look in there. I can’t imagine we’d be the only team in for him, though, and there would probably be a fee involved.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:34 am
Yeah Fulham are going to get promoted, so hard to see Fossey getting a look in there. I can’t imagine we’d be the only team in for him, though, and there would probably be a fee involved.
Depends on the agreement with the player, but certainly potentially, yeah.

Even if there's a fee it won't be huge. His injury history, age and lack of game time will all count against him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:02 am
See I thought part of the reason it worked yesterday is Jones and to a lesser extent Johnston allow us in possession to switch to a pseudo back 4. Jones carried it forwards and not in the manner of a proper centre back but like an inside full back. I also think back threes with players like Aimson on the flank of them are much more susceptible to space down the channels and becoming back 5’s very easily to restrict that space.

The advantage of the players yesterday was the mobility and quality on the ball of the two wide of Santos. There is a very clear improvement we can make on Johnston if this was to be the long term system.

I suppose longer term the biggest problem is wing backs. How would we find one as good as Fossey is in that role? You could argue he and Jones are crucial to making this work.9
We went "back four spare man" yesterday and it helped us cut out more crosses as the wide defender could press hard.

Mobility and ability on the ball in those wide areas are ideal, but we have what we have. Brockbank might suit the hybrid fullback/centreback style of the role, but Aimson is now more mobile than Baps. It might be that Baps is still the back up on the left as he knows the role, but it's hard to second guess Evatt at times.

There's some talk around Fulham that Fossey may be free to stay, but I don't know anything. If not, we will need to find a quality player in that position in the summer if this is the new "Evattball" system. It is, after all, his ideal. Fulham will very likely be in the Prem next season, so Fossey is unlikely to be needed by them.

We will probably also need to find a top quality (for this level) centre forward, a couple of centre backs, a keeper, an option at left wing back and a central midfielder. But, again, it's up in the air.

Obviously we'll also be rebuilding for the Championship...
In this system Stockton would make a lot of sense but sounds like he’s off elsewhere.

I’d be tempted to look for a player like Jones who could cover the back three or wing back. Either side really as we are light in both.

Probably can survive without an out and out number 10 but do need another sitting type of midfield player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 am
In this system Stockton would make a lot of sense but sounds like he’s off elsewhere.

I’d be tempted to look for a player like Jones who could cover the back three or wing back. Either side really as we are light in both.

Probably can survive without an out and out number 10 but do need another sitting type of midfield player.
Dempsey can play all three midfield positions in this system, so he'd help. The system shift also makes the Shipley rumours make loads more sense. This system makes us far less reliant upon Williams, which is a relief.

Those wide positions make it almost impossible to call what we'll do at the back, because tall fullbacks come into play as much as centre backs if the recruitment team feel they can adapt.

I think it's exciting, to be honest. Some of the squad depth is still iffy, but the 11 now looks like a serious proposition if we can keep everyone fit. This formation should also mean the bench is stronger.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:00 am

Dion Charles’ strike partner from last season Colby Bishop is out of contract this summer. Brilliant aerial ability but a good finisher and has decent link up play as well. Currently on 7 goals and 3 assists this season in 22 league appearances. Managed 10 goals and 5 assists in 41 last season alongside Charles.

He’s out of contract this summer. Would be an ambitious signing as I’m sure the top L1 teams and some Championship teams will all be interested, but worth asking the question in a few months.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 am

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:00 am
Dion Charles’ strike partner from last season Colby Bishop is out of contract this summer. Brilliant aerial ability but a good finisher and has decent link up play as well. Currently on 7 goals and 3 assists this season in 22 league appearances. Managed 10 goals and 5 assists in 41 last season alongside Charles.

He’s out of contract this summer. Would be an ambitious signing as I’m sure the top L1 teams and some Championship teams will all be interested, but worth asking the question in a few months.
Were 3 or 4 of his 10 not pens, Brommers? Will be interesting to see how Bak and (possibly) Bodvarsson do in terms of what EVatt wants from them as a goal return.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 am
brommers95 wrote:

Were 3 or 4 of his 10 not pens, Brommers? Will be interesting to see how Bak and (possibly) Bodvarsson do in terms of what EVatt wants from them as a goal return.
Who cares if they were penalties? Someone has to score them. We absolutely need a better target than Baka who works hard but doesn’t really do enough to pin defenders back or isn’t good enough with his feet.

If we had a Kevin Davies type up there I think it would really help Charles who obviously isn’t going to do that side of the game himself. We need to find someone strong enough to back into defenders and set the play up.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 am
brommers95 wrote:

No, he didn't score any penalties last season. He did take one but it was saved (v Blackpool). Charles was the main penalty taker last season for Stanley I believe.

This season he's taken and scored one penalty.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 am
Who cares if they were penalties?
Oddly enough, I do, or I'd not have asked him.

I actually rate Bishop. I think he has a greater variety of goals in him than Accrington can provide for, but I absolutely care about the kinds of goals he has scored for them and what they mean for our output.

My main concerns regarding Bishop are around his pass appreciation and his snap finishing. I think they are coachable issues, though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:38 am

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am
No, he didn't score any penalties last season.
Cheers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:54 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 am
Who cares if they were penalties?
Oddly enough, I do, or I'd not have asked him.

I actually rate Bishop. I think he has a greater variety of goals in him than Accrington can provide for, but I absolutely care about the kinds of goals he has scored for them and what they mean for our output.

My main concerns regarding Bishop are around his pass appreciation and his snap finishing. I think they are coachable issues, though.
We need a big lad to back into defenders and get his big head on the end of crosses.

It’s not necessarily possible to get everything we need in a player up front. But I think the type is clear. How many goals they score probably will be dictated by cost. A target man who hits double figures would be useful.

The blueprint was set yesterday. And Baka couldn’t do the dirty work as well as was needed and then didn’t make an impact on the box. That’s what we need. As we’ve clearly gone far more direct under pressure we need the ball to stick more up front.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:54 am
The blueprint was set yesterday. And Baka couldn’t do the dirty work as well as was needed and then didn’t make an impact on the box. That’s what we need. As we’ve clearly gone far more direct under pressure we need the ball to stick more up front.
Baka isn't fully fit and nevertheless still nearly had two and an assist.

If Charles squares it he scores. He was inches from John's ball in.

He'll be fine.

I think you're right we will need another in the summer - we look to be getting another in this week, if we can. Whether we look for others will depend on how those two do, you'd imagine. If Bodvarsson rocks up and plays out of his skin you'd have to think we'll try and sign him up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He'll be fine.

I think you're right we will need another in the summer - we look to be getting another in this week, if we can. Whether we look for others will depend on how those two do, you'd imagine. If Bodvarsson rocks up and plays out of his skin you'd have to think we'll try and sign him up.
Yeah it’s about finding the right sort. I don’t mind Baka at all, he’s just not quite a target and not quite that in the channel player. He’s a bit of both.

A Kevin Davies type would really help us right now and Charles especially.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 am
Yeah it’s about finding the right sort. I don’t mind Baka at all, he’s just not quite a target and not quite that in the channel player. He’s a bit of both.

A Kevin Davies type would really help us right now and Charles especially.
I don't think anyone would turn down a KD. Certainly not Evatt, who loves a big centre forward who runs the line, as he's said himself. Think he said he wants strikers he'd have hated to defend against.

We need to see who does what until the end of the season, then we can start nailing down what we want before Evatt and Markham throw us all for six again and we all look idiotic with our predictions.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He'll be fine.

Aye, bit nearly man yesterday, but it did feel like inches rather than feet, away.

On the one to square it, probably wrong, but it felt to me that the defender was better placed to potentially stop that, than he was to stop the shot...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 am

On the one to square it, probably wrong, but it felt to me that the defender was better placed to potentially stop that, than he was to stop the shot...
I've no issue with Charles having a go. He's a striker, I like selfish strikers. However, it was notable that Baka was taking up good, goalscoring positions.

For a lad still on the mend, I was pleased.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:30 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 am

I've no issue with Charles having a go. He's a striker, I like selfish strikers. However, it was notable that Baka was taking up good, goalscoring positions.

For a lad still on the mend, I was pleased.
Aye, not a general commentary, just on the one where ostensibly it looked a gimmie to square it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:30 am
Aye, not a general commentary, just on the one where ostensibly it looked a gimmie to square it.
Striker's dilemma. If you mess up either choice you should have picked the other one.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:34 am

Shape change worries me. It feels fluked upon after one result (which isn't always a bad thing, whatever works, works) but I think it leaves us in a pretty similar situation to last window (good XI, no depth) and a lot of wedge that doesn't suit it.

I think the upturn yesterday was a combination of shape suiting the opponent, and a better attitude, than us having found the exact formula of "the answer".

Back 5 works really well, but no proper cover for any of Fossey, Jones, Johnstone or John (so 4 of them). Maybe Aimson could cover for one (with Jones at WB) but I'm far from convinced.

And tough to see more than one of Dapo, Charles and Xav playing in a 3-5-2 without it being a mess.

Still wonder if he'll go for the 343 which keeps the back 5, is easier to press high, and suits the forward players better. We'd probably be overstocked in central midfield and short at the back. But we'll see.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.