January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:09 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm
Evatt said that. So one of the things can’t be true. Of course the player they missed out on isn’t necessarily a top target. Who knows.
Yes, he did. What I'm saying is he says a lot of things that are designed to "big up" his players, rather than just saying things as they are.

Fairly normal managerial bollocks.
ah, it’s in this morning’s BN story - I musta read it elsewhere.

“A lot of the things I say are for the benefit of the club and the players. The way we play, how brave you have to be, they need the self-belief and the air of arrogance and invincibility, and if I can help that with some of the press I do, I’m happy to take all the criticism in the world.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... statement/
Oh super. Can I give him a handy hint…just looking at our form since Sheffield Wednesday and those comments…what you are doing Ian….isn’t bloody working.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:30 am

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:09 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Evatt said that. So one of the things can’t be true. Of course the player they missed out on isn’t necessarily a top target. Who knows.
Yes, he did. What I'm saying is he says a lot of things that are designed to "big up" his players, rather than just saying things as they are.

“A lot of the things I say are for the benefit of the club and the players. The way we play, how brave you have to be, they need the self-belief and the air of arrogance and invincibility, and if I can help that with some of the press I do, I’m happy to take all the criticism in the world.”

Oh super. Can I give him a handy hint…just looking at our form since Sheffield Wednesday and those comments…what you are doing Ian….isn’t bloody working.
Yes, the words are why.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yes, the words are why.
They are part of it. The squad certainly were very unhappy going into Wigan off the back of that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 pm

He's looking beyond best team in this league anyway. Moved on to Premier League in 5 years. 😁

Just stop, Ian. Please.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:44 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yes, the words are why.
They are part of it. The squad certainly were very unhappy going into Wigan off the back of that.
Charlie_Kelly_Conspiracy.gif
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:27 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm

All eyes on Gillingham’s line up announcement tomorrow at 2pm to see if Dempsey’s in the match day squad 👀

Dempsey starting for the Gills today.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:13 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 pm
But, we're still going down, aren't we?
Nah, signed a keeper who conceded loads and a striker who never scores. Be reet! :D

You're not wrong!
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:46 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:44 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
Nah, signed a keeper who conceded loads and a striker who never scores. Be reet! :D

You're not wrong!
Can't expect the keeper to be up to speed, straight away. Give it time.👿

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:46 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:44 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

You're not wrong!
Can't expect the keeper to be up to speed, straight away. Give it time.👿

Sorry. The "not wrong" was in reference to "be reet" (because we won today) rather than LE's dubious assessment of the players' ability. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:06 pm

Dempsey involved in Gills’ early goal. Third-minute corner pulled back to him, shot forced keeper to save, rebound tucked home. They went on to lose 3-1 though, which is also good news if we’re trying to avoid relegation.

On Bodvarsson and the other League One team interested, according to reports in London: what matters most is perhaps not so much who the other team are as how much of Bod’s wage they’ll pay, considering Evatt said we’re asking the Lions to subsidise what sounds like a serious part of his wage

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:20 pm

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:06 pm
Dempsey involved in Gills’ early goal. Third-minute corner pulled back to him, shot forced keeper to save, rebound tucked home. They went on to lose 3-1 though, which is also good news if we’re trying to avoid relegation.

On Bodvarsson and the other League One team interested, according to reports in London: what matters most is perhaps not so much who the other team are as how much of Bod’s wage they’ll pay, considering Evatt said we’re asking the Lions to subsidise what sounds like a serious part of his wage
Have also just seen that Gillingham goal on Quest, was a great strike by Dempsey.

Gillingham are a sinking ship right now so you’d think (hope) he and his agent are really trying to push this move through.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:20 pm
Gillingham are a sinking ship right now so you’d think (hope) he and his agent are really trying to push this move through.
Aye. Would be a proper white flag from Gills, though. Perhaps luckily their chairman doesn’t appear overly concerned with popularity.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:20 pm

Club and loyalty are not words in the agent vocabulary. They'll want paying for the ink in signing contracts. I'd get rid of the lot of them.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:57 am

State of the squad in a 3-at-the-back system...
Screenshot 2022-01-16 005641.png
Screenshot 2022-01-16 005641.png (83.64 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:30 am

Won't let me delete the above. Forgot to add Xav, so him too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 am

Obviously midfield needs more. It needs another player who can sit with MJ and a Sarce replacement.

In a 3 I’d say Aimson is Santos cover rather than a more mobile left or right type. I’d not think about Brockbank so I’d look for someone else in the Jones mould who could also potentially cover right wing back.

Dapo is a striker in this system no way is he playing Lee’s role and I think it’s clear a better target than Baka would be helpful. In this system you pick one of Charles or Dapo alongside a target.

Xav is harder to fit in. Might be a place for him against weaker sides where Lee plays but that probably disrupts the balance too much. Lee is important in dictating when the team presses and when it drops off.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:44 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 am
Obviously midfield needs more. It needs another player who can sit with MJ and a Sarce replacement.

In a 3 I’d say Aimson is Santos cover rather than a more mobile left or right type. I’d not think about Brockbank so I’d look for someone else in the Jones mould who could also potentially cover right wing back.

Dapo is a striker in this system no way is he playing Lee’s role and I think it’s clear a better target than Baka would be helpful. In this system you pick one of Charles or Dapo alongside a target.

Xav is harder to fit in. Might be a place for him against weaker sides where Lee plays but that probably disrupts the balance too much. Lee is important in dictating when the team presses and when it drops off.
Aimson played on the right of a back three for Plymouth.

I kind of agree on Dapo, as he started as a striker at West Ham. The consideration is that we are clearly after another centre forward, Kachunga will be back at some point and then there is Delf. If you include Dapo as "only a striker" that means we'd have 6 strikers for 2 positions.

This system can handle a full '10' against the right opposition. Which Dapo and Xav could potentially both play (hard to see where else Xav would fit).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:45 am

To take the Aimson thing a bit further....I sort of agree with you, but none of the three back up centre backs are ideal replacements for any of the three starters.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:02 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:45 am
To take the Aimson thing a bit further....I sort of agree with you, but none of the three back up centre backs are ideal replacements for any of the three starters.
See I thought part of the reason it worked yesterday is Jones and to a lesser extent Johnston allow us in possession to switch to a pseudo back 4. Jones carried it forwards and not in the manner of a proper centre back but like an inside full back. I also think back threes with players like Aimson on the flank of them are much more susceptible to space down the channels and becoming back 5’s very easily to restrict that space.

The advantage of the players yesterday was the mobility and quality on the ball of the two wide of Santos. There is a very clear improvement we can make on Johnston if this was to be the long term system.

I suppose longer term the biggest problem is wing backs. How would we find one as good as Fossey is in that role? You could argue he and Jones are crucial to making this work.9